The New Guy

Shorts

Note: For this prompt I decided to interpret it a bit differently. Being next-door neighbors seemed a little cliche, so I thought about other places where people can be neighbors. I feel like it ends weirdly. Or maybe not at all. I'm actually tempted to write more to this. So I can work in everybody else and actually write some romance. Would anybody even want to read that?

 

The New Guy

Pairing:Sunggyu/Woohyun

Prompt: New Neighbors

 

Sunggyu is staring blankly at his computer screen when a knock on the wall of his cubicle pulls him out of his daze. He looks over to see an unfamiliar face looking back at him from the adjacent cubicle. His expression remains the same, his already small eyes made smaller by the lingering sleepiness.

"Who are you?"

The man doesn't appear put off or intimidated by Sunggyu's lack of greeting or blunt question. He extends an arm into Sunggyu's workspace, a friendly smile on his face. He must be new, Sunggyu thinks. "Hi, I'm Woohyun," he says in a voice just a bit too loud (and happy) for Sunggyu's ears. "I guess we're neighbors now."

Sunggyu stares at the guy for another moment before reaching out to shake his hand. "Sunggyu." He doesn't bother to lie and say it's nice to meet him.

Woohyun laughs as he brings his arm back over to his side. "Not much of a morning person, huh?" He tilts his head to the side slightly as he looks Sunggyu over. "It was nice meeting you," he beams before presumably sitting back down into his desk chair.

Sunggyu stares at the spot where the newbie's head had been, wondering if his exhausted mind had conjured that short conversation. It's really much too early in the morning for this. With a shake of his head he turns back to his idle computer screen. He probably zones out again (or actually falls asleep sitting up) because he's suddenly blinking rapidly with a familiarly chipper voice filling his ears.

"...know we just met," the newbie--Woohyun--is saying, "and I don't know if you even like coffee, but I figured it might help. So, yeah, enjoy."

Sunggyu looks from the little steaming cup of coffee on his desk to the man standing rather close in the cramped cubicle. Is he aware these things aren't big enough for more than one person, he thinks. But he isn't actually upset. Now that he's getting a good look at the guy he can see that the other is pretty handsome. And also waiting for a response.

"T-thank you." Sunggyu clears his throat. He's not sure how to explain that stutter. There must be a good reason for it. "I appreciate it." He gives the newbie what he hopes is a pleasant smile.

Woohyun returns it with a small smile of his own. The sight alone is enough to wake Sunggyu up completely. "Your welcome," he says, oddly shy after his enthusiastic introduction. Sunggyu thinks he sees a slight blush coloring his neck, but Woohyun turns away too quickly for him to be sure. "I should actually try to get some work done now. See you around," he bids with a wave thrown over his shoulder.

It's not until Sunggyu's sure Woohyun is back in front of his own desk that he reaches for the cup. He sniffs at it (it smells like coffee; what else was he expecting?) and takes a tentative sip. Of course, he burns his tongue and subsequently chokes on that tiny sip. His hacking is loud enough to have Woohyun's head popping back up over their shared wall.

"Uh, are you okay?"

"Yeah, all good," Sunggyu rasps out. When Woohyun quirks an eyebrow, obviously not convinced, Sunggyu makes a show of taking another sip of his coffee. He thinks he hides the discomfort of the hot liquid on his scalded tongue well enough because Woohyun's eyebrow settles back into its normal position and he sinks back down into his cubicle.

Once the other is out of view, Sunggyu slouches in his seat. He can't understand why he had felt the need to save face in front of the new guy. It's not like he's concerned with looking cool. There's nothing cool about this job. He looks at the time on his computer, calculating the minutes until noon. His lunch break can't come fast enough.