Home is Wherever I'm With You

Shorts

Note: I should really change the name of this collection. I keep getting carried away and it ends up over 1k words. That's not very short, is it? So here's some donggyu that I wrote in about a week (well, most of it was written in the last couple of days). It's another one of those kinda-sorta-not-an-au fics, which really just means I'm vague on the where and when. Also, I still at endings, so excuse my poor excuse for one here.

 

 

Home is Wherever I'm With You

Pairing: Dongwoo/Sunggyu

Prompt: you were the only one that offered to help me move in

 

 

 

Sunggyu scoffs at the picture Myungsoo's posted of himself and Sungyeol. They're at an amusement park of all places with ridiculous headbands on as they pose in front of a Ferris wheel. "Doctor's appointment, my ," Sunggyu mutters, staring daggers at Sungyeol's gummy smile on his phone's screen. He scrolls through Myungsoo's timeline and finds even more pictures (some of which include Woohyun, that traitor). He'd asked them for help moving into his new apartment and they had been quick to give excuses. Hoya and Sungjong hadn't even responded in the group chat so Sunggyu assumes they must be together doing whatever it is they do together. (He doesn't ask.) And Dongwoo... He's the only good one. He had been the first (and only) one to offer his help for Sunggyu's move.

After nearly two hours of riding the elevator up and down with more boxes than Sunggyu had realized he had, they're finally done bringing in all of Sunggyu's things. Thankfully, most of the heavy stuff had already been carried in by professionals the week before. All Sunggyu'd had to do was fill the apartment with his own possessions. Admittedly, Dongwoo is the one who did most of the heavy lifting, but Sunggyu would like to think he exerted himself quite a bit as well. Which is why he's currently splayed out on the couch that's set in the middle of the room for the time being. With one last glare at his phone he switches the screen off and looks over at the entrance to the kitchen. Dongwoo had offered to get the two of them something to drink. That had been about five minutes ago; Sunggyu wonders if the other had gotten lost in the other room.

"Are you making the cups yourself too," he calls into the kitchen. He could get up to see what Dongwoo is up to, but that would require getting up and walking.

Dongwoo's signature laugh floats out of the kitchen. "I had to find them first and then wash them," he yells back. (Sunggyu does recall hearing rummaging and water running.) A moment later he appears in the doorway. "Do you want water, juice, or tea?"

"Whatever you're having is fine." A wide smile breaks out on Dongwoo's face and Sunggyu finds himself smiling back, worryingly speechless. Once the other man disappears from his view, Sunggyu picks up one of the decorative pillows on the couch and presses his face into it. He's such an idiot. And it's all Dongwoo's fault. If he wasn't so nice and sweet and perfect Sunggyu wouldn’t turn to mush from something as simple as a smile. He presses his face further into the pillow as a fresh wave of embarrassment washes over him. Why does he have to have such a huge crush on Dongwoo? Why is Dongwoo so oblivious that he hasn't noticed by now?

"What are you doing?"

Dongwoo's standing in front of the couch when Sunggyu lifts his head. He has two mismatched cups in his hands and a cutely perplexed look on his face. Clearing his throat and sitting up straight, Sunggyu tries to sound casual as he explains himself. "Just trying to accept the fact that I'm on my own again." He'd never thought he'd miss having roommates; especially messy and loud ones like Dongwoo and Sungyeol. But now all of the space he has seems like too much. He’d gotten used to sharing and now he’s all alone.

"Don't worry," Dongwoo assures him. He sets the cups on a nearby cardboard box and sits down next to Sunggyu. His hand rests comfortably on the older man's thigh, his fingers gently squeezing. "I'll come visit you when you get lonely."

That sounds like both the best and worst things that could happen. On the one hand, the idea of getting to spend time with Dongwoo, just the two of them, makes Sunggyu happier than he would've expected it to. Probably because Dongwoo is the one who brought it up first. But on the other hand, he's kind of always lonely when Dongwoo's not around. If Dongwoo's serious about visiting him then he might as well just move in and save himself the time because Sunggyu is sure he'll end up calling the other man over nearly every day. And he hates how selfish that makes him seem and how he knows Dongwoo wouldn't complain or tell him no outright if he really did ask him to come over on a daily basis. Dongwoo's too nice for his own good. Even though a part of him wants to, Sunggyu can't take advantage of his friend like that, especially when he can't even admit his feelings for Dongwoo without breaking out in a cold sweat.

"I think I can handle it on my own," he says softly. As Sunggyu had hoped, Dongwoo doesn't seem bothered by the rejection. He pats Sunggyu's thigh before reaching for their forgotten cups. Sunggyu eyes the thick green liquid warily. It looks incredibly healthy; he didn't know he had anything healthy in his fridge. "What is this exactly?"

Dongwoo gulps down the drink in one go as Sunggyu grimaces. "It's good for you," he replies once he's done.

Sunggyu highly doubts that and he starts to say as much when Dongwoo lifts the cup Sunggyu's still holding onto, tipping it so the green sludge comes up to the rim. With his mouth hanging open Sunggyu has no choice but to drink whatever Dongwoo's concocted. He ends up downing it all at once since Dongwoo keeps tilting the cup. It's not as bad as he'd anticipated—actually, it's really good. He didn't know green-colored drinks could taste so good.

"Don't you feel healthier already," Dongwoo asks as he stands up with their empty cups.

"As long as you don't tell me what's in it," Sunggyu replies. Dongwoo's laugh fills up the room as he leaves it. When he returns to his seat Sunggyu doesn't waste time laying his head in Dongwoo's lap. (It's a fact that Dongwoo has a very comfortable lap; that's not Sunggyu's bias speaking. Well, not entirely. Woohyun's a close second, but Sunggyu won't ever tell him that because he'll just get all smug about it.) Dongwoo dips his fingers into Sunggyu's hair, his nails gently scratching the older man's scalp as he combs through the dark brown strands. Sunggyu sighs and lets his eyes fall shut.

This is his favorite part of being with Dongwoo: how comfortable they are with each other. After all these years it just comes so easily, so naturally. That's probably how he fell for Dongwoo in the first place. The natural progression of their relationship made way for his feelings about his friend to become deeper. They started as acquaintances then they grew close enough to be friends and now... Well, they're probably still friends in Dongwoo's eyes. But Sunggyu hopes they could be more, he wants them to be.

"My offer's still on the table."

There's a fond, almost loving, smile on Dongwoo's face when Sunggyu opens his eyes to look up at him. Sunggyu's breath catches in his throat for a second. He doesn't think Dongwoo's ever looked at him like that before. "What... What was your offer?" His brain might be short-circuiting at the moment, or just stuck on the warmth in Dongwoo's eyes. (He knows Dongwoo's always adored him, but this is different.)

"To keep you company when you're lonely," Dongwoo answers, his smile growing into a grin. His fingers are still and tangled in Sunggyu's hair.

Sunggyu really doesn't know what he did right to deserve someone as wonderful as Dongwoo in his life. He couldn't possibly turn him down a second time. "I like you."

That isn't what he meant to say. And by the looks of it, Dongwoo is caught off guard as well. "Uh, I like you, too?" He sounds confused, like he thinks Sunggyu's trying to reject him again, but he doesn't understand how he plans on getting to that.

Now that he's started, though, Sunggyu feels like he should keep going. "No," he says as he sits up to face Dongwoo. He's already admitted his feelings; he just needs the other man to realize it. "I mean I like you. A lot. Maybe even too much. I have for a while now, but I wasn't sure if you felt the same way. Or if it was a good idea to like you in the first place. Because we lived together and we saw each other all the time and if it didn't work out it would be awkward between us and we'd still be living together and seeing each other all the time and I'd hate for us to stop being friends because—" Sunggyu's little speech is cut short when Dongwoo takes a hold of Sunggyu's face with both of his hands. He stares at the other, wide-eyed and expectant.

"Has anyone ever told you, you talk too much?"

"A couple times."

Dongwoo chuckles quietly before he brings his face closer to Sunggyu's. His eyes are closed when their lips meet while the older man's are still completely open. But how can he close his eyes when Dongwoo is kissing him? In real life. For real. The kiss lasts only a few seconds, probably because Sunggyu doesn't react. Dongwoo pulls back, letting his hands drop into his lap, and watches Sunggyu's face carefully.

"...Oh."

"Oh?"

"It's a good 'oh'," Sunggyu assures Dongwoo, who lets out a relieved sigh.

"Well, that's good." The next time he leans in, Sunggyu is waiting for him. He wraps his arms around Dongwoo's neck to bring him closer. Sunggyu doesn't know much about perfect kisses, but he would like to think this counts. When Dongwoo pulls away again, it’s only to say, "I like you too much, too."

"Yeah, I kind of figured as much."