One

Chasing Pavements
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Chapter One

 

A tired sigh escaped her lips as Yuri turn on the coffee machine. It was her daily routine for the past two weeks after she married. The unexpected event she thought will be her best day turned out to be her worst. It was so wrong and she hoped she would wake up someday and realized it was only a dream. Only, she wasn’t that lucky.

 

As the sweet smell of coffee filled the kitchen, Yuri moved around the kitchen to prepare breakfast. She settled with scrambled eggs and sausages. Her spine stiffened when she heard the water running upstairs. Soon, her husband would join her in the kitchen and she would be forced to have civil conversation with him, which she despised every second of it.

 

He was her teenage crush. She used to think he was the love of her life. She dreamed being married with him. She fancied herself that he loved her as well. All those sweet thoughts crushed when the incident happened. He destroyed the love within her when he married her. And what left inside her now was bitter, broken-hearted woman who didn’t know what to do with her life anymore.

 

It could be said that they lived separate life even under the same roof. She had her own bedroom, across the hall from her husband. They didn’t even share bathroom. It was like two strangers tried to live together, at least it was for Yuri. No one needed to know about that though, especially her grandfather. Well, maybe except for Yoona.

 

The water had stopped, replaced by the sound of footstep moving around. It was always like this every morning. When he would go to work, he would kiss her forehead, never her lips. Not that Yuri would permit him anyway. But still, the truth stung.

 

Heavy footsteps were descended the stairs and Yuri braced her self. She turned her back on the kitchen door, unwilling to see those gorgeous eyes that now only brought her pain. The hair on her nape stood. Even without seeing, Yuri could sense his presence in the room and even the more reason to hate her self for her weakness of loving him.

 

However, looking away didn’t mean she couldn’t imagine the way he would look in the morning. Fresh from the shower, he would use the shirt Yuri had ironed the night before. The sleeves of his shirt rolled to his elbows. The black slack hung perfectly on his hips, framing his long muscular legs. The belt to place his gun would complete the look. He was the most gorgeous detective in the town. Everyone knew that.

 

“Good morning.”

 

Swallowing the lump in , she mumbled the greeting quietly. The breakfast and coffee were already waiting in the table. Yuri waited, standing in front of the stove awkwardly for Yunho to sit down. But there was no sound. Everything was too quiet until she felt his presence behind her. The warmth of him was enough to bring her to her knees.

 

“Don’t.” Yuri croaked. Her eyes closed tightly while her hands gripped the kitchen counter for the last balance of her sanity.

 

He sighed and his warmth breath hit her neck. Single tear escaped and cascaded down her cheek.

 

“We need to talk.” Yunho said softly, not even caring for her discomfort of their closeness.

 

“No we don’t.” She retorted. “Every time we talked, we ended up in argument.”

 

“It’s not gonna make me stop trying.”

 

Tired, defeated and irritated, Yuri whirled around. Her index finger poked angrily at his chest. “You damned well should! I won’t listen to all your craps about marriage. It won’t change anything!”

 

Gently, Yunho held her wrist and brought her hand to his lips. “I care about you.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter