Like A Date

Questions

“Wasn’t me,” he finished just as I let go of the arrow, piercing the arrow directly in the center of the target.

I dropped the bow and turned around towards Seokmin. “I hate you,” I started hitting his chest with my fists as my vision became blurry. He lost his balance soon and we both fell with me in between his legs, “You’re lying right?” I started to choke on my own saliva.

He shook his head as his arms wrapped around my waist and pulled me close, “I’m sorry.” His eyes turned soft and sincere as he tried looking down every time I looked up at him.

“Prove it to me that you’re not lying,” I choked out.

“I can’t I’m sorry,” he whispered as he put his head down on my shoulder while mine was on his chest. I grabbed onto his blazer and we stayed like that for awhile with me trying to muffle my cries.

I woke up on Sangdo’s bed in the dorm still in my uniform. I rubbed my eyes before pulling the blanket off of me and leaving the tiny bedroom.

“What happened?” I asked the first person I saw in the kitchen my eyes still trying to focus.

Nakta looked down from the cabinets that he was looking through, “Seogoong and Xero took you home from school. How are you feeling?”

“Fine,” I rubbed my eyes once more and rummaged through the fridge for something to drink.

“You sure? They said you were sleeping when you came out of the dojo and someone was carrying you out.”

“Yea I’m fine,” I poured myself a glass of orange juice.

Nakta sighed before going back to looking through the cabinets, “Manager-nim called a doctor, they said it might’ve been a fever coming on or too much stress and that it’s better if you don’t go to school tomorrow until you’re fully rested.”

“I’m going to school tomorrow,” I put my cup in the sink.

“Just listen to the doctor for once please? Sangdo’s in the practice room right now worrying and he wants to come and check on you but Pd-nim won’t let him go. Stay home tomorrow for us. We’re all worried about you Sanghee.” Nakta pleaded.

I nodded too tired to argue, “Fine, I’ll stay home but just for tomorrow.” I proceeded and got a change of clothes and headed to the bathroom taking a shower to clear my mind.

As I finished showering I went back to my room and pulled out my futon to rest for a bit.

“Sanghee,” I heard Nakta knock on the door, “I’ll be heading to the practice room if you need anything just call one of us okay? There’s food in the fridge and medicine on the counter. ”

“Kay.” I sighed and rolled around my futon as I could hear Nakta open and close the front door. I played on my phone a laptop for a while until I got bored.

I did chores around the house as I waited for someone to return. I fell back on my futon as soon as I was done cleaning the house with no one still home.

I’m hungry now.

I went to the fridge and opened it to reveal a pot of congee.

I’m not hungry anymore.

I shut the fridge closed and went back to bed.

I fell asleep soon in the tiny room.

“Sanghee,” I felt someone shake me. I opened one eye and saw Sangdo sitting next to my futon. “You feel okay?” I checked the time on the digital clock we had on the small bookshelf we had; 3:26.

I nodded my head as Sangdo shuffled his hands a bit revealing a giant spoon full of red medicine nearing my face. My eyes widen at the sight of it as I shook my head vigorously backing up until I hit the wall.

“Open your mouth, you have to drink this to get better,” Sangdo pushed the medicine closer.

“It tastes bad.”

“That’s why we have water just drink it.”

“I’m not sick.” I tried defending myself.

“That’s what you always say even when you’re sick.”

“This time I’m not lying.”

“If you drink it I’ll let you do one thing you want freely just one time though.”

“Anything?”

“Anything.”

“I want to go to the underground club with Jenissi oppa on Saturday.”

“Not after what happened the last time Sanghee,” Sangdo said in a firm voice.

“It won’t happen again I promise.”

“Fine but drink the medicine first.”

I swallowed the medicine in one gulp and grimaced at the foul taste left in my mouth.

“Here,” Sangdo held out an uncapped bottle of water. I took it and drank about half the bottle in one go. “Go back to sleep, you’re not going to school tomorrow,” Sangdo patted my head before turning off the light and leaving the room.

I leaned back on my futon and covered myself with my blanket.

At least I get to go to the underground club.

The next morning I woke up just a bit before noon exhausted. I washed up and looked through the fridge for any leftovers only to find the congee. My shoulders deflated.

They really left me only congee.

I got dressed in less than a minute and pulled my shoes on, putting some change into my pocket and grabbing the yellow penny board Xero got me for Christmas about two years ago.

I took the elevator downstairs and exited the building, taking off on my penny board. I didn’t know where I was going but just let my feet take me wherever they wanted.

I passed convenience stores and restaurants trying to ignore the nice aromas in the air.

I rode a bit faster swerving past people as they were walking on the sidewalks. I looked all around me to see if a store or restaurant would catch my eye but nothing did so I kept going further.

I felt impact rush to me as I crashed into someone, my penny board still going a few feet away from us, I ended up in between a stranger’s legs as my hands and face collided with their chest.

“Yoo Sanghee?”

I gulped as I looked up to meet those hawk like eyes once more.

“Aren’t you supposed to be at school?”

“Same goes to you.”

He smirked before looking around us. People had already started staring and snickering at us. His smirked faded as soon as he noticed as well.

He took my hands into his and started whispering so that I could only hear, “I’m apologizing in advance, so I’m sorry about what’s going to happen, but please go with it.” He yanked on both of my hands pulling me closer to him as his lips collided with mine, he soon let go of both my hands as one pulled me closer to him by the waist as the other was on my cheek.

I peeked at the people around us to see that some were starting to leave as others.

So this is what he was trying to do.

I shut my eyes to make it seem natural and rested my hands on his chest waiting for the moment he breaks the kiss.

The kiss lasted for awhile before Wonwoo slowly pulled away. Our faces were still close to each other as our eyes locked and I could feel his breathing.

I looked around us to see that everyone was gone, all minding their own business. We both got up and I proceeded to get my penny board and leave.

“Hang out with me today,” Wonwoo shouted as I was about to leave.

I turned my head around, “What?”

He approached me and took my hand, “Hang out with me just for today. It can be like a date. Isn’t that what girls like?”

“Excuse me?”

“Please, I get lonely easily,” he pouted as he pulled me into a hug.

“If you think this’ll work on me then you can go find someone else to hang out with,” I scoffed as I tried to push him away.

“I’ll buy you lunch, besides it’ll be fun,” Wonwoo finally pulled away and smiled.

“Fine but it better be good food.”

Anything that’s not porridge is better.

Wonwoo smiled showing his teeth before pulling me along to the busy streets.

“So where are we headed first?”

“Shopping.”

I frowned.

“What’s with that expression? I thought girls liked shopping.”

“If you haven’t noticed I’m not like other girls, I live with six boys I already know how things are going to be going shopping with them.”

He chuckled, “We’re not going shopping for clothes.”

“Then where?”

“We’re here actually,” he stopped in front of a music store that sold cds and old records. “Let’s go,” he opened the door and stepped in first. He let go of my hand as he went around to browse records.

I placed my penny board near the front door where I was sure it wouldn’t be stolen, “What are you looking for?”

“Music.”

“Well yea we’re at a music store,” I stood on the opposite side of the records stand directly across from Wonwoo and propped my elbow up and rested my head up, “Tell me I can help then we can both get out and go eat then go home as fast as possible.”

He looked up and stared.

I took my elbow down but kept my face at the same distance, “What?”

His face softened a slight bit but still had that cold stare, “Just listen to some of them and tell me when you find one that’s interesting.”

 I took a few steps back, “Fine,” before going deeper into the music store.

I flipped through records to find one that stood out. I continued on and flipped through several of cds before giving up. I walked into an aisle that had headphones attached so that we could listen to samples, I picked one up and put them over my ears before pressing the play button. I started humming along after skipping about 5 songs.

“Find one you like?” Wonwoo came to my side and flipped through the cds on the stand.

“Uhm,” I nodded my head, “Listen,” I took off the headphones and placed them on Wonwoo before replaying the song. He softly smiled while listening, I stared at him looking at each and every angle there was of him from his profile side.

“It’s good,” his smile expanded a bit wider while he was taking off the headphones, snapping back to reality before he noticed I was staring at him.

He put the headphones back and started flipping through the cds, “Aren’t you going to help?”

“Oh right,” I started flipping the row of cds next to the one he was looking through, our hands brushed past each other as he moved on to the next row.

“May I help you find something?” A round gray haired man came up to us.

“This cd do you still have it?” I pointed to the music list that we just listened to.

The man pushed his glasses farther up his nose bridge, “Sorry to say but we sold the last one a few weeks ago, I ordered some more but it seems like something’s going wrong with the shipping. I’ve called the manufacturer and they only said to wait a week but they told me that two weeks ago, the man sighed, “if you would like you can leave your name and number her and I’ll call you as soon as the next one comes in.” The man offered.

I nodded, “Do you have a pen and paper?”

The man held out a notepad and pen. Wonwoo snatched them both before I could take it, he quickly scribbled stuff on it and handed it back to the man.

“Thank you but we’ll be leaving now we need to continue with our date.” Wonwoo grabbed my wrist and pulled me to the front of the store.

I quickly grabbed my penny board before Wonwoo dragged me out of the store. He kept his hold on me until we were about three blocks away from the music store.

“What was that about?” I asked as soon as Wonwoo let go of me.

He sighed before looking down, I followed his gaze trailing to my penny board, “That must be heavy, here let me carry it,” he took it out of my hands.

“It’s fine, I’m used to it,” I tried to grab it back but he was persistent and didn’t let go.

“We’re not done shopping yet, so I might as well carry it for you.”

“But you’ll get tired of carrying it too,” I frowned.

He sighed for the nth time, “You worry about others before you worry about yourself.”

I looked up at him to see what he meant; he must’ve understood the look on my face since he pulled me into a tight hug.

“I can understand why a lot of people care for you,” he muttered in my hair. “How about you go home for the today?”

“But what about the date? Besides didn’t you say you had to go shopping?” I looked around at our surroundings while my head was on his chest.

He chuckled, “So you want to spend the rest of the day with me? If that’s what you want you could’ve just said that from the start,” he started teasing me.

“No I didn’t mean it like that,” I tried to hide my face in his chest.

“Come on I’ll take you home,” he pulled away and wrapped his hand around mine.

“What about lunch?” I whined.

“You can just eat something at home I’ll take you out to lunch another time.”

“Wonwoo,” I started tugging at his jacket.

“What?”

“I want food, good food,” I looked up at him.

“Then make some when you get home.”

“But there’s nothing to make.”

“Eat leftovers then.”

The congee in the fridge.

“No,” I shook my head.

“Which way’s your house?” Wonwoo realized he was just dragging me around.

“This way,” I turned to the left and started leading Wonwoo to the dorms.

“I guess I’ll say bye here then,” Wonwoo stopped just outside the dorms and looked up at the building.

“I want lunch,” I stared at the ground.

“Eat inside, you’re at home anyway.”

“Make me something to eat.” Silence followed afterwards as I looked up at Wonwoo I could see that he was staring back down at me. “So is that a yes?” I perked up.

It took him a few moments but he hesitantly nodded.

“Yay!” I skipped inside the building pulling Wonwoo along with me, “Good afternoon!” I waved at the officer at the front desk.

“Good afternoon,” the officer replied as we stepped into the elevator.

“You never told me, what are you doing out of school?” Wonwoo asked after I pressed the button to the sixth floor.

“Oh I just needed a break from all the school work that’s it. How about you? You’re not in school like you should be.”

He smiled before answering, “I got to have the day off so I decided why not go shopping?” He shrugged still smiling averting his eyes down at the tiled elevator floor.

He followed me out of the elevator and to the dorm waiting to enter as I entered the passcode and opened the door, “I’m home,” I took off my shoes as I looked around to see if anyone was home yet.

“No one’s home?” Wonwoo asked as he too took off his shoes.

“Seems like it but I wouldn’t be surprised, they’re usually busy and when they’re not they’re practicing in the practice rooms.” I took off my jacket and placed my stuff in my area of clothing space.

“Sanghee, eat the congee and drink your medicine to feel better if you need us call, Sangdo.” Wonwoo said, “You’re sick?” I heard the worry in his voice.

I turned around to see him standing in front of the fridge holding a sticky note frowning, “What are you doing?” I darted to him snatching the sticky note out of his hands, “You weren’t supposed to read that,” I cursed inside for not seeing it when I first woke up and before I left.

“Go clean up I’ll heat up the porridge and get your medicine,” Wonwoo nodded in the other direction.

“I’m not sick,” I tried defending myself.

“According to the note you are,” he stared at me with hawk like eyes.

I sighed knowing I would lose if I tried arguing more. I grabbed some clothes as he took out the congee from the fridge, and headed to the bathroom to take a shower.