The Boys (Chapter 3)

Trials of the Three

"Oh right! I nearly forgot! You three need some fancy title, like the one I got from Sooyoung unni!" Taeyeon suddenly exclaimed, which caused the boys to relax and let their guards down. Then, they saw Taeyeon disappear and they knew they were in trouble…

 

During the moment that they let their guard down, Taeyeon immediately warped her way to behind the boys and gave each of them a good hard smack on their butts. "That's for not staying alert at all times!" Taeyeon reprimanded them, harshly.

 

"Sorry Taeyeon noona…" The three boys apologised, heads bowed down.

 

"It's okay! Just don't make the same mistake again. Anyways, I'm going to give you three special titles like what your umma gave to Tiffany unni, Seohyun unni and me!" Taeyeon told the three boys excitedly.

 

"It's okay, you don't have too…" Sungmin replied, while Jo Kwon and Onew nodded in agreement.

 

However, Taeyeon was already in deep thought and completely ignored what Sungmin said. "Okay! I got it! When I call your name, you step forward and I'll tell you your title, okay?" Taeyeon questioned.

 

"Okay…" The three boys agreed reluctantly, as they knew the consequences of disagreeing with Taeyeon.

 

"Am I that scary? Ah well… It works in my favour!" Taeyeon thought to herself as she saw the expressions the three boys. Nevertheless, she continued: "First up, Sungmin, Scythe of Doom." Sungmin, nervously stepped forward and looked apprehensively at the smiling archangel, while praying hard that his title will not sound dumb. "Now you'll be known as Sungmin, Scythe of Doom, Knight of Death. Congrats!" Taeyeon announced and gave a round of applause.

 

"Well… It could have been worse I guess…" Sungmin thought, letting out a sigh of relief.

 

"Next is Jo Kwon, Chainsaw of Vengeance." Taeyeon called out and Jo Kwon stepped forward, unable to raise his head as he was on a verge of a mental breakdown. Taeyeon had a hard time trying not to laugh at Jo Kwon's expression for it was obvious he was praying hard for his title to sound okay. After clearing , Taeyeon told Jo Kwon: "Jo Kwon, from this instant onwards, you will be known as Jo Kwon, Chainsaw of Vengeance, Controller of the Winds."

 

"That's it?!! Sungmin hyung's title sounded way cooler…" Jo Kwon thought, pouting in disappointment.

 

"Jo Kwon looks unhappy with his title… Oh well… He'll have to live with it!" Taeyeon thought as she chuckled silently. "Finally… Onew, the Melodious Cannon." Taeyeon called out and turned to face Onew. Onew took a deep breath and stepped forward, ready to accept whatever title that Taeyeon had planned to give him. "From now on, you'll be known as Onew, the Melodious Cannon, Master of Illusions." Taeyeon finished and clapped her hands gleefully.

 

"Sounds okay to me!" Onew thought cheerfully as he smiled back at Taeyeon.

 

"Now time for the fight! Death Training Arena… Arise!!!" Taeyeon shouted as she created an arena for the fight, so that even though they were all immortals, they could still die in the arena, however in truth, none of them would actually die. "This will be a fight to the death, so good luck and may the best archangel win!" Taeyeon ended the briefing with her signature ahjumma laughter.

 

"Hey, what do you mean by best archangel? You're the only archangel!!!" Jo Kwon retorted.

 

"Obviously, my Byuntaeng will win!" Sunny replied before she leapt into the air and transformed into her weapon form, landing in Taeyeon's right hand. Taeyeon smirked and took out a blindfold and proceeded to put it on.

 

"I'll give you three a handicap. I'll fight blindfolded." Taeyeon told the boys.

 

"No fair! Everyone knows you fight using your enhanced soul sensing skill and if I can't make eye contact with you, I can't use my Mark of Death skill on you!" Sungmin complained.

 

"Too bad for you!" Taeyeon teased, sticking her tongue out at Sungmin before she added on: "Why would I want to give you a chance to use that skill that lets you decide how I will die?"

 

"Hyung, will just have to defeat her using another method then!" Onew encouraged his eldest hyung, as he transformed his right arm into a silver cannon and charged a ball of energy ready to be fired off at Taeyeon. At the same time, due to the innate power of his cannon, it produced a soothing melody that greatly increased the regeneration rates of his allies and himself.

 

"Yeah, Onew is right, us three brothers will find a way to defeat her!" Jo Kwon added on, as he too transformed his right arm into a silver chainsaw and revved up the motor. Sungmin nodded and transformed his right arm into a silver scythe blade, ready to attack at an instant.

 

"The three boys all take after their umma, half weapons all of them. An extremely rare occurrence, but it still happened… Let's see if they're even half as good as their y umma! And damnit, the fear aura from Sungmin's scythe is affecting me… Keep calm Taeyeon… Keep calm… Sunny is right in your hands and she's not leaving you… Ever." Taeyeon thought to herself as she attempted to block out the effects of the innate power of Scythe of Doom and started planning her method of attack.

 

As always, Taeyeon decided to initiate first… In a blink of an eye, Taeyeon warped her way to behind Jo Kwon and reversed her grip on her weapon to stab Jo Kwon in the back while facing away from him. Jo Kwon, whose reaction time was almost on par with Taeyeon's, summoned a gust of win to push Taeyeon slightly further away from him, to buy himself some time to counterattack.

 

"Counter Strike." Jo Kwon muttered, as he ducked low to avoid Taeyeon's lethal stab to his heart. However, Taeyeon still managed to open a gaping wound across the back of his shoulder. Thankfully, Jo Kwon's wound healed quickly due to Onew's weapon form's innate power. In addition, due to his own weapon form's Aligned state power, two huge wounds opened across Taeyeon's back and because of his innate power, his agility increased with the amount of blood drawn.

 

With the new burst of speed, he pivoted on his right foot and attempted a backhand slash on Taeyeon. Naturally, Taeyeon warped away in the nick of time. Taeyeon decided to remain invisible while waiting for her wounds to close and she thought: "The boys are stronger than I expected. Truly, they are Sooyoung unni's sons…"

 

"What now?" Onew asked, looking around in case Taeyeon was sneaking up on him. Jo Kwon, the strategist of the team, thought about the situation for a while before he created an air bubble around the three of them and created vacuum around the air bubble to separate them from the rest of the arena so that Taeyeon could not hear what he was about to say.

 

"Here's the plan. Sound cannot pass through a vacuum, so Taeyeon noona cannot hear us for now, Once I say 'GO', I will removed the vacuum layer, then Onew will use his aligned state power and I'll recreate the vacuum layer. This way, only Taeyeon noona will be affected and when she falls asleep, she cannot maintain the warped space around her and her location will be revealed. Following, I'll remove the vacuum layer, after Onew stops his power and Sungmin hyung will immediately use his aligned state power on Taeyeon noona. If that does not kill her, we'll just go all out and use our resonating state powers. Lastly, Onew, before you use Crescendo, tell me, I'm sure Sungmin and me do not want our eardrums bursting… Got it?" Jo Kwon instructed the team. Both Sungmin and Onew nodded their acknowledgment.

 

Meanwhile, Taeyeon's wounds had almost healed completely and she was getting worried about what the boys were planning, as she could not hear a single word that they said. "Never thought that I'll have to use such drastic measures…" Taeyeon thought, as she prepared for her next attack.

 

At the same time, Jo Kwon removed the air bubble and shouted: "Onew GO!" Immediately, Onew uttered the words "Lullaby" and fired a shot into the air. Jo Kwon, recreated the vacuum layer as planned, an instant later. The shot exploded in the air and a sleep inducing melody started to play…

 

"Oh crap…" Taeyeon thought, as she started feeling drowsy. "Must fight the sleepiness!!!" Taeyeon mentally reminded herself as she gritted her teeth. However, the melody was too soothing and it reminded her of the lullaby her parents sang to her when she was a baby to make her fall asleep. As she tried to fight against the sleepiness and maintain her stealth, Taeyeon accidentally dropped her weapon. Sunny was already asleep in weapon form so she felt no pain, however, Sunny became visible the moment she dropped out of Taeyeon's hand, revealing Taeyeon's location before Taeyeon fell asleep.

 

"Sungmin hyung! Look it's Sunny noona in weapon form! Let's move closer to their location first." Jo Kwon informed Sungmin and the three of them moved to within three metres of Taeyeon. Just as they reached, Taeyeon could not resist the melody any longer, so she lost her stealth and collapsed to one knee, barely awake. "NOW!" Jo Kwon shouted and Onew instantly, stopped his power, while Jo Kwon removed the vacuum layer.


"Rot." Sungmin muttered and a black glow engulfed his scythe arm. In a flash, he dashed towards Taeyeon and attempted to slice Taeyeon's head off. Taeyeon heard Sungmin's footsteps and once Onew stopped his power, Taeyeon senses went back to full alert. In addition, Sungmin's innate power instilled fear in Taeyeon, caused her to instinctively raise her right arm up in defence, while ducking her head down to avoid getting beheaded.

 

Taeyeon bit her lips in pain as she felt Sungmin mercilessly slice her arm off at the elbow. She took a look at her wound and instantly regretted her action, for the area around her wound had started to rot. "I have to end this fast, before I completely rot away… And the fear aura is clouding my judgement…" Taeyeon thought, as she resisted the urge to puke.

 

SOUL RESONANCE!!! Lightning Dissonance!!!” Taeyeon shouted, as she dissolved into a ball of destructive energy and passed through the three boys faster than one could say the words: Choi Sooyoung is so y. The three boys screamed in pain as sparks arched across their bodies and they felt as though their souls were being ripped apart.

 

Taeyeon was impressed that the boys could hold out against the attack for more than three seconds and she was surprised when all of them managed to align their souls to the attack. By then, the rest of her arm had rotted off, so Taeyeon decided to go into assassin mode to slow down the rotting process.

 

Seeing this, Jo Kwon unleashed his resonating state power as well and he yelled: “SOUL RESONANCE!!! Revenge of the Dead!!!” He then slammed his chainsaw arm into the ground and skeletons infused with the souls of vengeful spirits started climbing out of the ground with all sorts of weapons. Once out of the ground, they slowly advanced towards Taeyeon, while yelling battle cries.

 

"Jo Kwon-ah… You must have forgotten that I'm the Archangel of Death. Summoning dead souls to fight me? That's plain stupid…" Taeyeon reprimanded Jo Kwon, before she transformed into her Archangel form and commanded the vengeful spirits to turn on the one who summoned them. Slowly, one by one, the skeletons turned around and started to march towards Sungmin, Jo Kwon and Onew.

 

In response, Jo Kwon stopped his power and the skeletons exploded into billions of minute, sharp projectiles that travelled towards Taeyeon at high speed. Taeyeon had barely enough time to warp the space around her so that the projectiles would not slice her to shreds. When she warped the space back to normal and returned to assassin mode, Sungmin shouted: “SOUL RESONANCE!!! Endless Sorrow!!!”

 

Right before Sungmin unleashed Endless Sorrow, Jo Kwon and Onew had already escaped out of the area of effect of Sungmin's attack. Their tactical withdrawal was hastened by Jo Kwon's ability to control the winds to enhance their speeds. On the other hand, Taeyeon was caught in the area of effect and she started drowning in sorrow. She became depressed, filled with hopelessness and she started to think her own doom was inevitable.

 

Her mind filled with scenes of her inability to protect Seohyun from getting killed in the battle against the feral demon and her death that caused Sunny to die along with her, made her feel absolutely useless. Slowly, the thought of suicide crept into her head and she raised her weapon to . After a moment of hesitation, she slit her own throat and waited for death to follow. As she felt her own breathing become laboured and her hold on life fading slowly away, the images of four people appeared in her mind: Sunny, her wife, Sooyoung, her mentor, and her parents…

 

"NO! I MUST NOT GIVE UP!!! How can I face Sunny, Sooyoung and my parents if I just give up like this?!!" Taeyeon thought, as she gathered all her remaining strength and with her last breath she whispered: "Death's Blessing. Final Stand" Greyish light engulfed Taeyeon, all her wounds healed instantly and her spiritual energy increased a thousand fold. She stood up and with the remaining thirty seconds she had left, she muttered the words: "Way of the Assassin. Final Path. Path to Hell. Complete Massacre."

 

The arena was placed in a stasis and Taeyeon's soul stepped out of her body before splitting into a million fragments, each fragment dashing to a random location in the arena. After which, all the fragments converged at the boys' location and passed through their bodies, ripping their souls in the process. Finally, the fragments reformed into one piece and Taeyeon's soul stepped back into her own body as the stasis ended.

 

The three lifeless bodies of the boys collapsed to the ground and so did Taeyeon, who's thirty seconds were up and her wounds had reopened. She coughed up some blood and her breathing became laboured again. Suddenly, she sensed the presence of the souls of the three boys again, even though their souls should have already been ripped apart.

 

"Looks like we win Taeyeon noona! Hope you enjoyed the dream of your victory! Too bad it did not come true and it was just my illusion." Onew told Taeyeon as he smiled brightly, happy that his hyungs and him managed to defeat Taeyeon, arguably the second strongest after their own umma.

 

Hearing Onew's words, Taeyeon laughed bitterly and with her last breath she muttered: "Archangel's Blessing. Second Chance." Silvery grey light engulfed Taeyeon's dead body and the wounds she suffered started to close. Then, she stood up and behind the blindfold, her eyes opened. Her revival complete, Taeyeon immediately went into assassin mode and took down Sungmin and Jo Kwon almost simultaenously by unleashing her skill, Path of No Return, twice in quick succession. The two boys had no time to react, for they had let their guards down and did not expect Taeyeon to be able to revive herself.

 

Luckily for Onew, he managed to avoid a similar fate to his hyungs as he was the last target, so he had enough time to react. Onew did the first thing that came to his mind… He placed Taeyeon in an illusion of one of Taeyeon's favourite dreams…

 

"Oooh, so many butts!!! All of them sooo perfect!!! And all of them are MINE!!!" Taeyeon started to ramble about butts, as she was placed in an illusion of her favourite dream where she lived in Buttland, a place with butts roamed free and were all hers. "Wait a minute… Argh!!! Snap out of it! It's just Onew's illusion!!! Now, Kim Taeyeon… You should be ashamed of yourself for getting stopped by such an illusion!" Taeyeon thought to herself and was about to break out of the illusion when a certain caught her eye…

 

"Oooh… It's Sunny's !!! SOOO PERFECT!!! I wanna t-" Taeyeon exclaimed, but her words were cut off as Onew charged up a cannonball of energy and fired it point blank at Taeyeon. The attack blew Taeyeon's head clean off the rest of her body and disintegrated it into smithereens, killing Taeyeon on the spot.

 

Upon Taeyeon's "death" and the clear determination of a winning team, the arena disappeared and everything went back to normal, with everyone being alive. The three boys were all smiles as they congratulated Onew for defeating Taeyeon for the team. Taeyeon's expression was dark, she could not believe she was defeated, so she turned to Sunny and whined: "It's your fault for having such a perfect ! If not for it, I would have broken out of the illusion earlier and won!"

 

"It's not my fault that you're such a ert…" Sunny replied, chuckling at the cute sight of Taeyeon pouting in anger. Taeyeon hung her head in shame, burying it in her hands and mumbled: "How am I going to face anyone else after this…"

 

"Live with it, Taeyeon noona… Just live with it…" The three boys consoled Taeyeon, while trying to keep their faces straight.

 

Taeyeon glared at her mentor's children and warned them: "Defeating me does not guarantee you three a victory over the cloaked figures' trials… Combined together, they could be way more powerful than your umma. So, never let your guard down and never, ever underestimate your opponents."

 

"We got it, Taeyeon noona!" The boys chorused.

 

"Okay, training over, the three of you are dismissed." Taeyeon told them. Hearing this, Sungmin, Jo Kwon and Onew cheered in delight and ran off, no doubt to brag to everyone about their victory over Taeyeon, The Swift Assassin, Archangel of Death.

 

Taeyeon watched them go and she chuckled to herself as she thought: "Onew, you sure it was my head that you fired at?"

 

 

"Or your own?"