The Reality of Our Situation

What If?

"YoonA?" 

"Hmm?" It was one of those lazy afternoons, that we all we ever do it, lie on bed and talk about the most random stuffs. It was already noon, but we both still haven't get up to make breakfast nor lunch. I lied on his chest, while he wrapped his arms around mine. 

"Don't you want go outside?" He asked, ask he mindlessly played with my hair. 

I shook my head, "No. I'd rather laze around here with you." I beamed like a happy 5-year-old child. 

"Aissh! I think you're friends might me for this.. or Hara might just barged in through the door." He snickered, remembering the last time she came. 

I lightly bit his chest, "I still haven't forgiven you for that," I paused. I honestly don't care about my now dormant social life. Even if WW III erupted outside our door, I'm sure we won't even notice. "My friends can still live without seieng me for a week.. and about Hara, I already locked the front door. She doesn't have any key anyways so we're safe." 

He grinned. "She'll throw a fit." 

"Tch! Aigoo, that girl. She's going to turn 19 soon, might as well start to act like one now." 

"Well said darling." He smiled. 

Then everything went quite again. He started humming the tune from before, but unlike then, I couldn't calm myself down. My thought were occupied with the past days we were together. 

A few days after that eventful evening, we've been going back and forth with our apartments. Some nights I's spent it in his home, while the others we cuddle through the evening in my house. It's been great, we'd cook together, do the most random stuff, watch television like a normal everyday couple, and just enjoy the company of each. But something terrible occupied me, it was the fact how I saw the changes happening in Tae Min. I saw how his body gradually changed due to his illness. First he was getting thinner, he already loss a lot of weight, and everytime he sleeps beside me half-, I could see how the bones become more prominent whenever he moves. His lovely chubby cheeks he had before, was even disappearing. His eyes were becoming more bloodshot, and dark circles were even starting to form. His warm brown eyes now held a tired expression, and I tried very hard to control my emotions whenever I see him like that. Now, his warm body that I caved in, held a colder temperature. 

The real reason why I avoided going out today, 'cause I see how hard his body takes the energy of just walking outside. He'd walked slower, breath heavy and sweat more. And every time I asked him if he was okay, he'd force out an easy smile, and try to walk faster again. 

I don't know, but my mind get this that everything was coming to and end so fast, "Not now darling.. give me more time.." I said, tearing up a bit. I hugged him a little closer, "Stay with me more." 

-----

When I checked the time, it was already 4 in the afternoon, I looked up, glancing at his face. He was fast asleep. His expression looked so calm and peaceful. I kissed him on the cheek, "I'll be back." I said, and retreated to the kitchen. As soon as I opened the fridge, I tried to collect possible ingredients to make a sandwich, "Better this than nothing. Might as well go shopping tomorrow." 

As I was fixing up the sandwich, I heard, two knocks from the door. "Coming!" I yelled, and wiped my hands on the handtowel, rushing my way to the unseen visitor. 

"Umma?!" I said surprised. 

She didn't answer, instead she was looking at me with a stern look. I opened the door wider, and lead her to the kitchen. Pretending not to notice her presence in the room, I continued doing the sandwich. We were silent for a moment, until I heard her fingers drumming on the kitchen counter. 

"So the rumors were true." She said venomously. 

I looked up, curious to whatever she was talking about. But I saw her glared at the two sandwiches and back to my face, with anger plastered all over her face. 

"What rumors umma?" I asked so sweetly, irritating her to the bone. 

She gritted her teeth out of annoyance, "This game you're playing, this has to stop now." 

"What game? I'm not playing any. I don't even see any board games on the table." 

"What game you say?! This stupid role play you have with that little vermin!" She yelled. 

I glared at her, my eyes never leaving hers, but of course, she didn't react, nor move with what I just did. "First of all, that person has a name, LEE TAEMIN. Second he is my boyfriend so I have every right to do whatever with him and lastly, I'd rather you leave now mother, or God know what I might do to you." I said in between my teeth, trying to control my anger. I walked by passed her, but she grabbed my arm. 

"YOU ARE STILL MY DAUGHTER IM YOONA AND I HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO DRAG YOU OUT OF THIS APARTMENT AND INTO THE STREETS AND PUT SOME SENSE IN YOU! WHAT DID THAT BOY DID TO YOU? YOU WEREN'T LIKE THIS BEFORE! THAT BOY HAD FEED YOU NOTHING BUT LIES AND DECEPTION!" She screamed so intensely that I imagined her face like a ticking bomb waiting to blow up any second. 

I took a deep breath. I need to handle this as calmly as possible, "Deception? Lies? As far as I'm concerned mother, it was you who fed me those nasty lies of yours, not him. And don't blame this on him, this was your fault. Your's and appa! All my life I was treated nothing like a puppet, always following you and appa around, thinking like you were the one who always knew what's best for me. But I was wrong. The two of you only cared about yourselves, and the fortune you have and you want to have." 

"You ungrateful child! Me and your father gave you all! And you repay us with this, rebellion and EMBARRASSMENT?! YOU GET OUT OF HERE CHILD AND DO AS I SAY. MARRY OK TAECYEON!" 

"NEVER." 

"You don't know the things I will do child, to make you suffer in the end." She commented, threatening me with her power. But I knew something so shut her up. 

"Okay, I'll marry him. But then again, I'll make a scandal, tainting the name of Im family for a VERY VERY long time." I said, emphasizing every syllable. My mother might have unfathomable power, but if there's one thing she hates, it was bad press on her family. 

"You wouldn't dare." 

"Watch me." I said, challeging her and opened the front door. She left, giving me a hurt face before she left. 

After that confrontation, I ran back to the room. My tears couldn't stop escaping, I opened the door and I saw Tae Min's face, looking me with his sad eyes. He opened his arms, inviting me to go to him. I rushed to the bed, hugging him close, letting the tears freely hit his shirt. 

"Darling.. do you want to talk about it?" He asked worriedly. 

I sniffed. "No." 

"Maybe.. Maybe your mother-"

"No, please.." I cut him, I knew where we was getting at. He was going to blame himself again, and I need to stop it, before he's going to beg me to go back to my parent,  "..you're the only thing I need right now, don't push me away." I said, hugging him close. "I'm going to fight for us darling, no matter what." 

He kissed my forehead, and wrapped his arms around me, "There there then, stop crying love. I wouldn't want my princess to look so sad. I've only have you not less than a month and here I am seeing you crying again." 

I didn't answer. 

"You're mom only wants what's best for you. She loves you so much darling, I hope you could see that," he said quietly. 

No matter how much my family was ing him, he'd really never rooted any bad feeling for them. He was too much for a saint already.

"I know. I'd go apologize to her in the morning and you're coming with me, ne?" I held up my pinkie finger. 

He wrapped his finger with mine, "I promise."

----

Later that evening, I felt Tae Min stirring beside. His sudden shifting and tossing on bed, woke me up in a hurry, that I deliberately switched on the bedside lamp and look at him. He was profusely sweating and was looking scared. I shook, telling him to wake up. In my mind I thought it worked since he stopped moving, but when I called out his name, he didn't opened his eyes.

"Tae Min?" I said, shaking his shoudlers. I check for his pulse, and it was gradually becoming weaker.

There was nothing but dead silence. 

"YAH! DON'T JOKE WITH ME NOW!" I said, scared, as the silence was eating up my emotions. 

Hot tears was falling from my eyes, as my heart beat raced like a stallion. I took my phone and immediately dialled for emergency. Calming myself down I told them what happened and the address of my apartment. 

I held him close, hugging his neck, "Tae Min please, not now, please.."