Eleven

Boundaries of Kim Jongin

“Where are we going?” Jongin eventually said as they finally got out from the school’s range. Hayoung mouthed a ‘wait’ as she tied her hair into a high ponytail. Her hair was nicely tied, despite her disheveled hair because it needed a whole lot of effort to walk across the front gate (“Jesus, I think the whole students think this is a wall of fame or something…” Hayoung commented when they were trying to walk out.).

Hayoung let out a sigh and asked, completely ignored his words, “When’s your curfew?”

“Nine o’clock.” That was when his parents were on a good mood, like, a very-very-very good mood.

“Great,” She sounded satisfied. “This should be enough—we are going home at eleven.”

“WHAT?” Jongin raised his voice, without any purpose. But he can’t help it but felt attacked and panicked. He has these thoughts on his head, already formed vividly on his head; his parents would grounded him, took everything from him, and yet they must blackmailed Hayoung—and it all repeated. History repeated itself. It was inevitable, and even it was fated to happen—at least, he was trying his best to prevent it. At least—at its best.

“C’mon,” She sounded annoyed. “Are you really going to walk out right now?”

“Well, actually-“

“First rule: DO NOT TELL ME ANY REASONS. Second: I DO NOT ACCEPT BUTS. Third: ACTUALLY IS A PLACEHOLDER- IT IS PROHIBITED.”

“How do you come up with those rules?” Jongin looked amused.

“Well,” She lowered her voice a bit. “I had to think about it for two days before you asked me to help you.”

“How do you know if I was going to ask you?”

“Let’s just say, I already know—now, shut your mouth and we are riding the public bus,” She glanced at him, and found him in the state of disbelief. They walked to the nearest bus station and Hayoung feigned a disappointment. “Oh, I’m sorry, I don’t have a Mercedes to drive you around.”

“No,” Jongin corrected hurriedly as he detected her high sarcasm. “I have never ridden one.”

“That’s okay.” When she said it, the bus already came as soon as they reached the bus station. It was a grateful thing that Jongin didn’t have to bother to wait in the late afternoon, because it was too dangerous for minors. God, Jongin had to stop worrying about his life. His life; he didn’t even know how to rule it—or everything at all. Then, without them even noticing, they already stepped on the bus, sat down side by side and the bus already left its station.

“I mean,” He his lips in nervous. “Don’t you ever feel afraid when you walk alone in the night?”

“What?” She looked at him in funny, and she did a silent giggle.

“My parents told me that there are a lot of murderers wandering around at night –and you might be killed.”

“Are you seriously going to argue about our death?” She still looked at him. “I mean, it is not a nice thing to say at our first trip?”

“Sorry.” Jongin said.

“Don’t be,” She waved her hands dismissively. “I mean, It is good to feel insecure about your life, but I just felt like we—I, especially—don’t worry death at all; I mean, people dies all the time and you can’t ditch that—and you can’t do anything except let them go.”—She nudged Jongin on his shoulder—“Do you understand what I mean?”

He only nodded once.

Then, silence blanketed them. The bus was nearly empty, if it was not for the woman. The woman kept looking at them, as if they were criminals. Okay, Hayoung knew that her makeup looked like much more extreme as she would thought—however, she had ought that to happened. Jongin was staring at the window, all the time and thinking about something that it seemed like his thoughts wander far.

When Hayoung was about to nudged him from his shoulder, Jongin pointed at a pandemonium. It was full by punks people, and most of them wore the same makeup as Hayoung did; heavy (Hayoung did some make over to fix her makeup, to made her feel welcomed.) and sort of creepy.

“What is that?”

“That’s a pandemonium. We are going there.” Hayoung felt excitement rushing all over her body. Jongin shivered at the thought that he would be go into a club, underaged. That was not exactly the best way to enter the first club. But, Hayoung was an expert—at least, Jongin was trying to convinced himself—and she had been here every time.

“Are you kidding?”

“Do I look like am kidding?” She replied it with a stare before both of them decided to walk out from its bus. Jongin came the last, and he shivered from the night wind. Hayoung led the way to the pandemonium, it was way more packed than they had seen in sight. The line was so long, and he thought that eleven pm didn’t enough.

Jongin inspected the whole pandemonium. Purple LED light ‘PANDEMONIUM’ was hung near the main door, and the building structure was not very big for a club. Clubs in movies had always bigger and fancier, and he thought that it might not be the one in the movies. Then, a big body security was allowing some people came in front of the main door. He wore black shirt and jeans, and the loud sound was booming until across the street—or farther than he had thought—and people had to yell if they wanted to talk; they can’t even hear their own voice. Some excited yells came from the club and vibrated. The whole pavement actually vibrated because of its noise. Jongin looked at Hayoung, and her eyes filled with excitement. She had done her makeup heavier than before, he noticed that.

“Come on,” She pulled Jongin’s hands and she went to the first line. “We have a special access.” She said, whispering but loud enough to hear. Jongin could see that she winked before they made their way to the security guard. The security looked at us, and he smiled as he switched his gaze to Hayoung.

“Hayoung, long time no see!” He said. “You’ve got the right to walk in, babe.”

“Shut up, Ren.” She shoved him aside and gave him a wink before she lead Jongin into the club. The club was beyond of Jongin’s expectation. He expected a mini-sized room, only with the dance floor and there was a mini bar on the side—no. That was not. The club was a bigger room and there was no dance floor made by flickering lights floor, there was only a black pavement with a middle-sized stage in front of it. There were some instruments and a rock-indie band was playing a high-pitched song. He could feel that his ears started to bleed even it was not. Tables were on each side of the stage, and filled most of the room. The capacity was highly packed than outside, and they had to bumped into some bodies before they reached the bar.

Hayoung smiled and ordered a liquid and a cola for Jongin. Hayoung beckoned Jongin to sat, and he looked over at the seat and her. “But, there was no seat left.”

“What?” Hayoung yelled because the song got louder.

“I said, there was no seat left.” Jongin raised his voice as well.

“That’s okay—seats are for beginners.” She said. Jongin stayed quiet and thought about it twice before he eventually sat. Surely, he was a beginner while Hayoung was an expert. They were totally in a different level. Hayoung had been here so many times, it was uncountable, and this was Jongin’s first club. He even didn’t think about the clubs, but here he was; breaking another rules, and going to club.

“Hey,” Hayoung called as she shoved his drink to his side, and drank her liquour. “The bands are so lame tonight.”

She groaned and Jongin kept quiet as she started to speak again, “I’ll promise you will see my band plays.”

“You have a band?” Jongin asked, as he looked in shocked.

“Of course,”—she leaned closer—“You know nothing about me, Kim Jongin.” She said it with a laugh.

Jongin drank his cola and looked at Hayoung in fascinate. Hayoung was fascinating, and of course, she was one of a kind. The kind of girl that would not bore everyone, even she was different. But, she was just trying to be more normal amongst normal people. It was her; the hair, boots, and the club. She was unnecessarily shoved everything out of her box, just to show it to Jongin.

“What do you play?” Jongin spoke and it made Hayoung turned around—she was facing Jongin with her back because she was too concentrate on watching the bands—.

She sipped her liquor slowly, “What?”

“What do you play in your band?”

“Bass,” She did an air guitar and grinned. “I could teach you.”

“No, thank you.”

Then, it went silent. Hayoung was too busy to talk with Jongin, and Jongin was too busy to examine the whole club. He just still didn’t believe that he was still here, and it was nearly ten yet he haven’t been in his home. His parents must be freaked out, and sent the whole unit to search him, which that was not very necessary.

The band went a couple of minutes before the band gave their thanks and left the stage. Hayoung looked at Jongin and pulled him to the so-called dance floor. Then, a hyper music started to play. As Jongin diverted his gaze on the stage, which was now stood another band, Hayoung cupped Jongin’s face and started to dance to its beat.

“DANCE, DANCE, DANCE!” She shouted and got crazier on the dance. Now, she was spinning her waist and turning her body all around the degrees. Then, her hands were up in the air; spinning and moving as crazy as Hayoung. Then, the beat started to get slower, but still up-to-beat. Then, she saw Jongin did not dance. She groaned and took his hands, only to swing it randomly on the air.

“Lesson number one: Have fun.” She said.

“But, I can’t dance properly!” Jongin raised his voice because the song got louder.

“Who said you have to dance properly?” She replied and kept throwing Jongin’s hands in the air. “I need you to have fun!”

Then, Jongin got quiet—not because he didn’t want to do it. It was a bad idea, but surely, he wanted to do it. He needed a time to think about everything; parents, Sehun, and school. He needed to release that out; no matter how. He had to forget about how will it be when he walked home at twelve. He needed to stop worrying because it was supposed to be a fun night. He eventually danced, not properly, randomly. As long as his heart wished, and nobody was going to get mad about it.

The feeling left a sweet thrilling rush on his veins. He was having fun, for the very first time.

He felt infinite.

And, He wanted to do that again.

 


I just finished mid-exams for the first semester. So, my chance is now!