Twelve

Boundaries of Kim Jongin

After the long night, the time has fast-forwarded to twelve pm. Which totally made Jongin freaked out, because he was afraid that his mom will put the whole team to search him up. And that was not a good thing. Especially when they caught him with Hayoung, He didn’t want to make her into his problem—he didn’t want Hayoung to be the part of it.

The dance was still going, until he was finally conscious about the time. Hayoung was still dancing crazily, her hips were touching everybody’s hips—which totally insane. Then, she did this ‘wonder girls’ moves—like this—and some people started to clap for her. She put her hands in the air and started to shake it and jumping ever so crazy as the drum played its own solo. Then, the drum started to hit the same note all over again. She was screaming and jumping her live out. Jongin, who had his first dance on the club, looked at his phone and started to shook Hayoung.

“What the eef, Jongin?” She was screaming, and her face looked displeased.

“I’m sorry, but It’s very late!” He pointed at the phone screen, and Hayoung cursed under her breath before she ran with their hands tangled together. Hayoung was leading and exited the club and rushing to the bus station, while Jongin was grabbing her fingers tight so he didn’t lost. He swore that his lungs started to had fire on it, because it stung so much. Running with Hayoung stung so much. Or, he was weak.

We both reached the bus station, and the street was completely empty. It was darker than Jongin had expected, and there was no single car passed by. This was a disaster. Hayoung ran her fingers to her hair in distress, “! We miss the bus!”

“WE—WHAT?”

“WE MISS THE BUS,” Hayoung cried in frustration. “I can’t believe we miss the bus.”

“Then how are we going to go home?—How am I going to go home?”

Hayoung was quiet for a moment, thinking of any possible way to get him home. Jongin’s rage was going to burst, and he had already thought of spitting words, I knew I shouldn’t trust you! Or I should not ask for your help out of the blue, et cetera. But as he turned his head to Hayoung, he found her thinking. Probably thinking how to get him home, but it was too calm to think about that—he thought so. Then, he waited for her to react, only to find her sighing in defeat. She was kidnapping him, and he didn’t know what would make her be so calm.

“Well,” She sighed. “There’s only one way out.”

She led the way. She was walking to the back of the club, which was a parking lot. Jongin was ever so clueless about this and he just listened to what she had said—“Will you tell me when people come?”—and he did that. Nobody was coming, and neither did there. They were just alone. Some cars were expensive, but the rest was just okay.

Hayoung looked around before she examined each car, and eliminated each one except for the hottest one. It was a red Ferrari, and she was at her luck to find that on spot. She cringed and said to herself, “I’m sorry, hot car, but I need to break you.” And she broke the window with a kick. Then, her hands busily fiddled with the cables under the steer wheel.

“Jesus, Hayoung?” She heard him muttered a frustrated sigh. She knew how stressed he was, especially when he was still wandering around with a punk girl in the middle of the night; that was not so good. But she let him be. She was trying to get him home, in any way, because he would be another problem for her if she didn’t get him home tonight.

The engine started to running and Hayoung unlocked the car before she could sit on its car (She cleaned some glass piercing before she sat, of course). Hayoung fixed her position and looked at Jongin. She didn’t know why, but she grinned when she saw his face. It felt like his face brought back aliveness on its sparkle, and she liked it.

“Get in, loser!” She let her left elbow hanging on the edge of the window, to make it interesting. People used to do it on movies, and she wanted to do it once in her life. Jongin left in speechless, and just entered the car with blank eyes. She looked at Jongin in fascinated and stepped on the gas.

The day was dark, and they were all alone. It was so much to her expectation; the road was so empty, only a few of cars running in a high speed as well as the Ferrari. Hayoung drove nicely mess, and Jongin couldn’t believe why she could still drive cars. The Ferrari was running in a high speed and the whole Ferrari bounced when they hit something, then it felt like it was going to flip when she was just changing lanes. Jongin was still a high shocked; he was told to dance at club, and now this? Robbing was not a very nice experience for beginners.

Not just that, Hayoung set a rock radio in a full volume and he felt he was going back to the club. The high-pitched songs came often, and most of them were yells then they would put interlude with a high-pitched guitar plus a drum solo. His ears felt like they were starting to bleed because they were just so loud, and he couldn’t complain about it because it might hurt Hayoung’s feelings.

“Hey,” Hayoung called and lowered the volume. Thank god. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah… I’m okay—why are you lowering the volume?”

“You looked very disturbed by it.” Hayoung laughed. She laughed, and he didn’t know what made her laugh. He could’ve been hurt her feelings, but why she was all goofy?

“Oh, sorry,” Jongin said. “You can set the volume back.”

“No, wait,” Instead, she turned off the radio. “You really looked disturbed when I do my things—“

“No that’s not—“

“No! It’s okay!” She insisted. “I mean, you could talk honestly you know—to me, to us.”

“I’m afraid that I might hurt your feelings.”

“Well, I might have hurt but,” She her lips as she focused on the road. “It’s your opinion, okay? I’ll gladly accept any suggestion or opinions from you.”

He stayed quiet.

“Okay, let’s set this up. Fourth Rule: I DON’T TAKE LIES. Fifth Rule: WE ARE,”—She looked at Jongin—“GOING TO BE HONEST FOR EACH OTHERS.”

“Okay.”

“Okay,” She looked at Jongin in eerie. “Say, what are your thoughts for today?”

“Honest, right?”

“Honest.”

“This is literally the craziest day of my life,” Hayoung laughed at his statement. “And for God’s sake, you are stealing a car! And then, I danced on a club for the very first time. It felt like freedom, and YOU ARE CRAZY, HAYOUNG. And I don’t really enjoy music, especially the yells and high-pitched songs. And gosh… Are your ears fine with the loud music because my ears felt like they were starting to bleed.”

“But, you don’t like music.”

“Nope, I don’t.” Hayoung faked a pout, and Jongin threw a stare of honest-right? “I’m so exhausted in a good way.” He said.

“I know right,” She said lightly. “This is what freedom felt like,”—she looked at Jongin for a mere time before she sent a chuckle of funny—“You need musicology.”

Jongin looked at Hayoung, and smiled. He felt so exhausted; feeling like you would pass out in the minute and at the same time, your heart felt light even when your body was tired. Today was so unexpected; he was at the club, underage, and he was riding a stolen car. This was not an average person did, and he wanted to be different; for once in his life. Then, she asked him to say honestly, which was not his best subject. But then again, it was so fun to be honest and so glad to see that a person accepted your honest opinion.

And without his conscious, he fell asleep in the car.

 

“Gosh, Jongin, wake up!” A voice came. His eyes immediately opened and took several minutes to gain his senses. He was now looking at Hayoung, whose eyes were even more sparkling than he had remembered. Her eyes were dark brown, and her hair naturally fell onto her shoulder and hung just above her s. She smiled and leaned in to unbuckle him. He didn’t even remember if he had buckled himself. Gosh, were the club’s effects this strong? “We are here, Your Majesty.”

He diverted his eyes onto his house. The house looked empty and dark, nonetheless, he slung his backpack and got out from the car. Hayoung didn’t divert her eyes when he was walking to the house. He pressed the bell several times, but there was no sign of life. The night was gone darker, and he might afraid that his dad was still looking for him—and it looked like so—and he should stack up of some excuses.

“No one is home, boundary kid?”

“Yes, sadly, yes.” He answered and sat the bench that his dad usually used in the mornings. Hayoung was still hanging her head from the window, and now resting her head on her palms. She looked kind of interested before she smiled, again. She smiled a lot after the club, and Jongin noticed that. “Why are you smiling again?”

“I’m happy to see you loosening up a bit.”

Jongin smiled back and beckoned at the car, “Aren’t you going to give it back? Because I am opposed if you are planning to steal the car permanently.”

“Well, at first thought, I was going to literally steal the car. But, nah,” Jongin chuckled. “I should probably get going.”

“Yeah.”

“I think your parents will displease when they caught you with a punk girl.” She bid her goodbye before she ran the car again. Then, Jongin was completely alone. After she went, he knew that everything was going back to normal. After all these freedom, he was going to completely chained like a dog. And he was afraid. He was scared. He didn’t want to be chained anymore, he needed her for freedom.

She was as equal as freedom; but this freedom, he felt like, it only belonged to himself—and the feeling was so great to know about it.

He tried to forget about it for a minute, and spent the rest of the time stacking up the possibilities of the excuses. He had so many words, and he had practiced before his dad came home with his car. Not so long, his dad came in with his black car—alone, without his mom. And after he parked his car, he went straight to Jongin and hugged him right away.

“Jongin, where have you been?” He exclaimed and Jongin could see that his dad was this close from crying.

“I was—“

“No, just, let’s talk at home, okay?” He sniffled and unlocked the door before he led Jongin to the dining room. Jongin sat, and his dad sat himself in front of him.

Jongin examined his dad, and he knew that this was where freedom went away… Just like that.