Prologue

Boundaries of Kim Jongin

“Jongin, let’s play at Chanyeol’s house!” A boy exclaimed as he hit Jongin’s table in excited.

The twelve years-old Jongin curled up his lips in confused. He was debating if he could play at his best friend’s house. He had known him for so long, and he already knew Jongin’s parents and how would they react to Jongin. It was completely irritating, and Chanyeol for being such a mama boy for one month but they get over it quickly.

“C’mon, Baekhyun,” Chanyeol interjected. “He can’t, Mama Kim wouldn’t let him.”

Jongin was this close to punch Chanyeol in the face. Getting over so quickly didn’t mean that Chanyeol would let this lifetime passed, every time Jongin said that he can’t because his parents did not allow him, Chanyeol .

“Seriously, Chanyeol, Shut up,” Baekhyun turned his head to Chanyeol and made a face before he turned his head back to Jongin. “Look, this is your chance to prove Chanyeol, besides your parents already knew everything about Chanyeol, there will be no harm.”

“I don’t know…” Jongin trailed off. “I’m afraid that my parents are going to kill me.”

“There is no such thing like that.” Baekhyun said.

“My dad says, there is a woman who—“

“Shut up, I don’t want to hear your father’s crap.” Baekhyun cut in and raised his eyebrow, waiting for Jongin to answer his question.

“Okay, I’ll go.” Jongin said. Baekhyun replied it with applause of amusement. Chanyeol was running into Baekhyun and questioned him. After he knew what happened, he clapped as well. Both of them were cheering so loud and it nearly made Jongin’s ear burst. Above that, Jongin wasn’t sure about how their parents would react by killing him. It wasn’t enough for them, they would do something worse.

The time has come, and the ring has rung. Everyone immediately put back their stuffs and ran straight to the main gate. The hall so packed with students and some teachers that probably have their own appointment. However, the three boy didn’t go straight to the main gate. They played in their own class first before Chanyeol’s mom arrived, and they went straight to Chanyeol’s house to play.

 

***

 

“Chanyeol, please let me attack!” Baekhyun demanded as he clicked the controller randomly. Then, he would sulk and punch Chanyeol after Chanyeol won. To be really honest, Baekhyun can’t play any games, and he wasn’t born for games—unlike Chanyeol. Baekhyun was rather talented in singing than anything, so he could be a singer in no time, while Chanyeol, he was good in anything but academic.

“Want to play?” Baekhyun gave the controller to Jongin, which he took it delightly. He switched place with Baekhyun to find a better angle. Chanyeol grinned at Jongin and he replied it with a more cunning grin. The game began, and Chanyeol decided to attack on Jongin first.

“Jongin! Press ing X!” Baekhyun cried in desperation as Chanyeol success on kicking Jongin’s character, so it flew.

“.” Jongin muttered and started to punch its controller haphazardly because he was too desperate as well. Chanyeol cursed before he let out his ultimate attack and Jongin lost. Baekhyun cried, Jongin was silent, and Chanyeol jumped in excitement. He jumped on to the bed and then jumped again on to the floor, dancing genie excitedly in front of us; mocking us, but it looked like that he was the one who mocked himself.

Jongin looked at a mini clock that located just above its television. It was nearly seven pm, and he haven’t go home yet. His parents would kill him if he went home and he dare not to cross another hour. He ran into his backpack and swung it one sided. His palms were already sweaty despite the anxiety. Baekhyun and Chanyeol looked at him in perplexed.

“Uhm,” Jongin didn’t know how to put it properly. “I need to—“

The door burst open with a woman in front of it. She was Chanyeol’s mom and she put this smile all over her face before she looked at Jongin, “Your mom and dad are here.”

Oh, crap.

Jongin bowed to Chanyeol’s mom—and she replied it with an idle smile—then he turned to Baekhyun and Chanyeol to waved—they, of course, replied with a grin and a wave—and he ran downstairs and found his parents sitting on the couch. His mom’s eyes were red and his dad’s face plastered with a horrified.

His mom immediately ran into him and hugged him tightly. Jongin felt like he couldn’t breathe at all, he saw his dad didn’t do anything but walking straight to its exit. His mom led him into the exit and they drove in their black Panther in silence.

His mom sat in the back with Jongin, putting him in a tight embrace. His dad put his attention on the street as he tried to drive properly. His mom constantly, every ten seconds, kissed him in his forehead about five seconds duration. It didn’t get better, it only got worst when his dad decided to pull over at a random-lonely street.

He looked back with red eyes, he nearly cried—but what for, Jongin can’t pinpoint it.

“We searched for you.” He eventually confessed and stole a glance on his mom.

“We are worried about you.” She eventually confessed too.

“You know where to find me, Chanyeol’s,” Jongin said. “He is my only best friend, and it is a compulsory to play at his house once.”

“You don’t know, you are still too young!” His dad cried in desperation as he hit the steer wheel. “We always tell you, don’t play to any house except our own house!”

“But, that is—“

“There are a lot of people murdered after they played at their friend’s house.” His mom interjected. “And, most of them are minors!”

“I will not—“

“Stop hanging out with Chanyeol and that Byun guy—“

“Baekhyun,” Jongin corrected in annoyed, this time he cut his parents. “His name is Baekhyun.”

“Whatever,” His mom said, dismissively. “Don’t, or you will receive a punishment.”

Then, his dad the car and drove away to their house. Jongin thought that it was a joke, and kept hanging out with Chanyeol and Baekhyun. But when he approached both of them, they turned cold and gave him a cold shoulder. Soon, he learnt that his parents had blackmailed both of their parents so they didn’t dare to hang out with Jongin anymore.

It felt like that your parents blackmailed your best friend’s parents to protect you.

Since that, Jongin tried his best to come home faster and decided to live under the boundaries to keep everything close and safe. He didn’t dare to cross any boundaries again, ever, if that was the cost for crossing, he rather lived under the boundaries.