Day 8 : Is A Thank You Not Enough ?

100 Days

Day 8

Is A “Thank You” Not Enough ?

The sun greeted me in the early morning which made me completely awake.

This time, I’m 100% sure that I slept on the bed, not on the sofa.

And why am I so sure ?

‘Cause I had a fever yesterday, and I rested all day.

And, speaking of fever, I had another duty I need to do.

What is it ?

To say “thanks” to… um… Su…zy ? Yeah, Suzy. Thanking her for taking care of me when I was sick, just like what Kai has told me.

But still, I was thinking about how should I thank her ?

And suddenly, a question came through my mind.

Is a “thank you” enough ?

 

“How should I thank her ?”, I mumbled to myself as I walked around in front of the TV, thinking.

I sat down on the sofa, playing with the TV remote and changes the channel for like fifty times.

And something caught my attention. One of the channel made my gaze fixed into it.

It was only a short advertisement, but it made me knew exactly how to thank her.

A gift would be perfect.

 

“What are you doing ?”, Kai asked as soon as he stepped in to my home.

“Kai !”

Kai walked towards me, bringing along his white plastic bags.

“Are you… making chocolates ?”, he asked, smelling the melted chocolate that I made.

The moment he smelled my hand-made melted chocolate, he made a face, which showed me clearly that my chocolate is a failure.

“Can I taste it ?”, he asked.

I replied him with a nod.

He dip in his finger into the melted chocolate and tasted it. As expected, his “not-tasty” face came back.

Let me say this before I continue. He looked really ugly that time, really ugly that I really wanted to burst into laughter.

“Are you sure this is a chocolate ?”, he asked.

“I’m sure. 100% sure”

“Well, I’m not. You better not to eat this, or you’ll faint. It’s so obvious that it can even make you faint”

“Really ? But, what should I do with this chocolate ?”

Silence.

Kai seems to be thinking for a way so that this chocolate won’t be thrown away. While I was doing the same.

\

-EXO-GROWL-

Someone’s ringtone broke off our silence. It’s obvious it was Kai’s since I didn’t have any cellphone or such.

Kai rummaged his pocket and took out a black cased cellphone. His cellphone.

“Wait a sec. My friend’s calling me, my older friend”, he said as he answered his call.

“Oh. Kyungsoo hyung. My “Suspect X” ? Why ? Ah. It was on the top part of my bookshelf. Yep. Okay. Oh, wait a sec hyung. You’re a really good cook right ? Can you come and help my friend making a home-made chocolate ? Yeah. Okay. Thanks hyung !”

I stood 3 meters behind him, trying to find something for my failed chocolate.

“Wait for a while. Kyungsoo hyung is going to come here”, Kai said as he put his phone back to his pocket.

“Okay. But, how old is that Kyungsoo hyung of yours ?”

“21”

“Really ? Then how old are you ?”

“20. He’s one year older than me. Why ?”

“Then, I’m two years older than you”

“What ?”

“I’m 22”

“Really ? S-So, I was supposed to call you hyung from the start ?”

I lifted my shoulder, responding to him in an American way.

“I’m sorry for my rudeness”, he said as he bowed 90 degrees down.

“Nope. You don’t need to be sorry. Just talk to me in a comfortable way like you did before. We’re friends right ?”, I said and grinned widely like what a kid usually did.

Kai replied me with his cool smile. I already knew what that mean from his smile. He agreed with what I said.

*DING**DONG*

“It’s probably Kyungsoo hyung”, Kai said, running towards the door.

He opened the door, and somewhat, a small figure can be seen at the outside.

“Kyungsoo hyung !”, Kai called happily.

“Hey”

Kai brought in the guest, which seems like his younger brother more than an older brother.

“This is my older friend, Do Kyungsoo hyung”, Kai introduced his friend, older friend.

My first impression about that Kyungsoo guy was, his eyes are wide. Wider than mine. And he’s cute.

“Nice to meet you”, that Kyungsoo guy said as he bowed.

“Nice to meet you too”, I replied and bowed.

And then, it’s just awkward.

Silence.

Awkward.

Too awkward for me to even stand for. But it’s not the same for the both of them. Somehow, they match well with this situation.

“Kyungsoo hyung”, Kai called him, “let’s start making the home-made chocolate”

That, what should I call him ? Kyungsoo or Do Kyungsoo ? Ah. Do Kyungsoo is a bit hard, so Kyungsoo is fine, although it was a bit rude.

Kyungsoo nodded lightly.

And well, we ended up in this situation. And awkward making home-made chocolate situation.

The both of them were so quiet, that my mouth seems to be glued by this awkward situation.

And what annoys me more, why can the both of them stand this kind of situation so much ?

“Can we talk about something ?”, I asked since I already reached my limit.

The both of them looked at me, and once again, silence came.

“Sure. Let’s talk about something”, Kai said, breaking the silence.

Kai ! I’m so glad you’re here !

“What topic do we need to talk about”, Kyungsoo finally opens his mouth.

But then, for the third time, silence came in again.

“Let’s talk about random things !”, I said happily, breaking the silence again.

“Wait. Let me ask this first. What’s your height Kyungsoo hyung ?”, Kai asked.

“173 cm”, Kyungsoo replied.

“And yours, Chanyeol hyung ?”

“183 cm”

“Wow… 10cm difference. Cool”

“Don’t look down on me, you”

“I’m not”

“You did”

“Well, yeah. But why don’t you add some more centimeters on your height so you can match with Chanyeol hyung. Hyung, you’re 21 but your height is 173, while Chanyeol hyung is 22 and his height is 183.That’s much of a-“

“Wait. He’s 22 ? Isn’t he 25 ?”

“You’re mixed up with Kris hyung’s age”

“Ah… Yeah. I see”

And so, we talked and laughed with each other, while making the home-made chocolate.

All of my life, I have never been this happy before.

 

“Finished !”

Finally, the normally made home-made chocolate is done ! And somehow, our faces have ended up like this. Covered with chocolate everywhere. Maybe it’s because we were doing a chocolate fight before while making the chocolates.

“Thank you for helping me ! Now if you excuse me, I’ll be giving this to my neighbor”

“Wait a sec hyung ! Don’t forget the flower bouquet !”, Kai said as he gave me a bouquet of pink flower.

“When did-?”

“It’s a secret”, Kai replied as he smiled to Kyungsoo. And Kyungsoo replied with a smile of his.

“Oh. Okay. Thank you !”

I ran towards my neighbor’s, Suzy’s home.

I tried to catch my breath as soon as I stepped in front of her doorstep.

I stood there properly, trying to be cool, and then rang the doorbell.

The moment Suzy opened the door, I quickly handed out the flower bouquet and the chocolate while she was confused by what I did.

“W-What is this ?”, she asked, looking at the bouquet and the chocolate.

“Um… T-Thank you, for taking care of me when I was having a fever yesterday”

“Ah… It’s okay. I coincidentally went there because I was going to give some of my home-made kimbap

“Oh… Okay. But, please accept this”

“Thank you”

She gave me a smile while saying her thanks.

Somehow, I felt bitter the moment she told me the reason why she took care of me yesterday. It was only a coincidence, not because she wanted to meet me.

I felt this bitter feeling inside me that I never knew before.

I guess I still have a lot more things that I didn’t know.

 

“Suzy”, Kai called Suzy on the phone.

“Why ?”, Suzy asked.

“Have you received Chanyeol hyung’s thank you gift ?”

“I did. Why ?”

“You know, before he gave that to you, he was asking to himself, is a “thank you” enough and decided to make you some home-made chocolates”

“Oh…But, why did you tell me about this ?”

“Why ? Just… I don’t know, I felt that I have to tell you this”

“Huh ?”

“Kyungsoo hyung’s calling me. Bye”

 

“A “thank you” is enough, Park Chanyeol”