Fiction

Ephemeral
Leo POV~
 
"Hakyeon I said no." Leo sighed and rolled his eyes. He was tired of this conversation. He hated having it. But the redhead was relentless.
 
"Why not?! Am I not good enough?!" N was close to tears. Leo just stared at him silently. What could he say? Not the truth. So he said nothing at all. His heart ached when he saw the older man's tears start to fall.
 
"Hakyeon..." He reached out for him, feeling a deep need to comfort him. N shoved his outstretched arms away, furiously rubbing at his own cheeks.
 
"Jung Taekwoon I hate you so much!" N turned away and started to pack things into a cute little backpack. "I'm leaving! I'm not coming back!" Leo wanted to stop him but he couldn't make himself move.
 
N went to the bedroom door and stopped, looking over his shoulder at Leo. Leo looked back. He wanted to beg him to stay but the words wouldn't come out. So N walked out, slamming the door behind him.
 
Leo heard him stop at the front door, giving the black haired man one last chance to stop him. When he didn't that door too was opened and slammed back shut. Leo looked around his room.
 
In the beginning. When their group of 6 friends decided to rent an apartment together, N had been sharing a room with Hongbin and Hyuk had been sharing with Leo. That only lasted a few days.
 
N decided he needed to play matchmaker, or so he claimed. Sure he knew Hyuk and Hongbin had crushes on each other but the truth was N just wanted to be closer to Leo. Since they were all children N had always tried to make himself Leo's personal growth.
 
Leo sighed. This wasn't the first time they got into this fight and N packed and left. He usually only packed a few random meaningless things and came back in the middle if the night, silently climbing into bed with Leo to sleep.
 
As Leo took stock to find out what useless things the redhead ran off with this time he noticed something. Suddenly this time seemed so much scarier than the rest. Why hadn't he noticed N pack his most precious belongings? Why hadn't he noticed N leave his apartment key on the nightstand?
 
"H-Hakyeon..." Leo's heart began to pound and he picked up his cellphone, trying to call the redhead. His call made it to voicemail so he tried again. And again. And again.
 
"Leo-Hyung we brought back dinner. Are you and N-hyung uncompromised." Sanghyuk, the youngest one of their group laughed loudly at his own joke. His trusty boyfriend, Hongbin's giggles joined in quickly. Leo couldn't answer. He was too busy staring at his phone, N's answering machine, barely audible from arm's length, cheerfully told him to leave a message because he was probably busy taming lions.
 
Leo hated that joke... He couldn't stop silent tears from falling down his cheeks.
 
N POV~
 
"Jung Taekwoon I hate you so much!" It had stung N to his soul to say those words. But he just couldn't take it anymore. All he wanted was commitment. All he wanted was to be told he was loved. To be called Leo's boyfriend.
 
Apparently N was good enough to sleep with but not good enough that Leo would admit to it. He couldn't handle being the quiet male's toy anymore. It hurt too much.
 
So he packed the things he truly cared about this time. The rest he could replace... Well. All but Leo. He could never replace Leo.
 
N walked across the street, heading into the park. It was snowing and a thick blanket of white covered the ground. N shivered. All he had to do was go across the park to the bus station. Then he would be on his way home to his umma.
 
He heard light footsteps behind him. He walked faster to see if it was just a coincidence. The footsteps sped up too. N stared to run. So did his persuer. He knew it wasn't Leo. Leo would have said something, knowing how jumpy N was in the dark.
 
The next thing N knew, he felt pain. Blinding white hot pain. His head felt like it was exploding, imploding and spontaneously combusting all at the same time.
 
N's phone had went off. Leo's ringtone played. He managed to glance at the picture on the screen as he collapsed to the ground. A small, glowering Leo stared at him for a moment before N lost hold of his phone. His last thought before the world went black was a simple, sad."Taekwoon I love you..."
 
Leo POV~
 
"Dude are you two coming out?" Ravi questioned as he opened Leo's bedroom door. Leo forced his tears to stop and dropped his phone on his bed.
 
"Hakyeon left again..." Leo sighed and went over to lay on N's soft bed. He noticed a pile of things he had given N. Stuffed animals, flowers N insisted on drying and keeping, a few sparse pieces of jewelry N hadn't actually taken off since the older man gave them to him. Even though they were cheap and turned his skin green if he sweated too much. How had Leo not noticed N taking these off?
 
"You don't deserve him." Ravi spoke simply and turned to walk out, trying to call N himself.
 
"I know Wonshik..." Leo whispered to himself. He put N's ring on, managing to make it fit on his pinky, and held onto the redhead's pillow tightly, breathing in his fading scent until he fell asleep.