Chapter 9

My Bodyguards: Made In Flower

[JAEIN]

As soon as I opened my eyes, all I see is darkness everywhere. Blackout?

“Hnngh! Where… am I…”

I don’t know how but when Seulgi ordered me to close my eyes earlier during the make-over process, it seems like I’ve slept for ages. Am I being poisoned?

My hands roamed around to find any source of light and I felt like I was touching a hard surface? It’s so dark right now I can’t even see anything and I don’t have any single clue on what’s going on.

“Why is it so dark? Where is this place?” I continued mumbling to myself because it was so quiet, like I was all alone.

I tried to stretch my legs but it hits the wall abruptly. How is this room so narrow?

When I put both my hands at the wall, I realized something.

Why does it feel like I’m in a… box?

SHERLOCK

I’M BEING ABDUCTED

“Hey! Who’s outside?! LET ME OUT!!!” I banged the box endlessly, hoping that I can somehow break through it. But, to my disappointment, the hardness of the box is beyond my expectation.

I huffed furiously and started kicking it next. “RELEASED ME, YOU BUNCH OF GOOD-FOR-NOTHING KIDNAPPERS! YOU’RE GOING TO REGRET FOR ABDUCTING ME!!!!!”

“Whoa! WAIT, WAIT! JUNG JAEIN, STOP IT!!!”

Just when I thought I was about to DESTROY the box, I heard a familiar voice. Huh? Wait…

“LUHAN?!”

Hold up! Is this some kind of scheme or what?

“Alright, Jaein. First of all, calm yourself down.” Then, Jongdae’s voice greeted me. “Listen. Umm… okay, we’re sorry for doing this to you but, can you please bear with this for a while? It will be over in a minute, I swear. Please, please….”

My forehead roughened hardly at his words. “What are you going to do with me, for ’s sake? Why am I in a… box?!”

“Abort mission. I repeat, ABORT MISSION. We’ll move on to Plan B.” Just then, Sehun’s voice was heard right beside me.

Mission? What mission?

Plan B?

Wait a minute.

Don’t tell me…

“WHAT THE HELL?! ARE WE IN CHANYEOL’S VILLA NOW??!!!!!! YOU ING KIDDING ME! WHATEVER YOUR PLAN IS, I’M GOING TO BURN EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU IN THE DEEPEST PIT OF HELL IF YOU DON’T GET ME OUT OF THIS SQUARE THING!!!!!!!”

“Noona, we’re so sorry.” Sehun spoke and then I heard something like door being opened(?) and soon, I found myself floating in the air.

Err… I mean, someone lifted the box.

“Sorry, your butts! YOU GUYS BETTER GET ME OUT RIGHT.THIS.INSTANT!” I shouted in anger.

And without warning, I was being ‘slammed’ down on the floor mercilessly.

“Ah! The -”

“Jaein, please co-operate with us. You can get mad at us later but save that for now.” I heard Baekhyun said.

Pssh… so all of them are in this scheme together?

“Because Chanyeol is opening the door in 3..2…”

HOLY SHELLSHOCK

“1…”

CLICK!

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PARK CHANYEOL!!!”

Here goes my worst nightmare.

“Guys, you’re here already! And girls.” I heard Chanyeol’s loud and deep voice disturbing my protest.

I’m soooooooooooooo doomed.

“Yes. And, here’s your gift.” At the end of Jongdae’s words, I swear I can SEE him smirking.

“This? Wow~ you guys sure prepare such a BIG gift for me.” Chanyeol said with a hint of joke in his sentences.

“Go and open it. Just, don’t be too shocked.” One of the girls, Lizzy, finally spoke.

I SWEAR TO GOD I’LL GRILL EVERY EACH OF THEM!

“Now? Hmmm… okay.”

Oh boy…

There was some rustling sound heard before the box I was in started shaking.

OH.MY.GOD.

What should I do now? It’s already too late to back away! Think, Jaein. THINK!

Slowly, lights were emitted into the dark box and I knew instantly my time to think is over.

Bit by bit, the cover of the box finally removed away completely, revealing a damsel-in-distress a.k.a ME, sitting in the box with both my knees propped up. What an image.

When I looked up, a pair of familiar big eyes was staring back at me without blinking. I had to admit, Chanyeol looks ridiculously handsome tonight.

After snapping out of my daze, quickly I stood up and stretched a big smile.

“S-SURPRISE!!!” I shouted in a cheer tone, actually hesitating a bit.

A moment of silence.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Hello? Has everyone turned into a stone already?

“Err… Hap-”

GASP.

“JAEIN-AH!!! I MISS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

My words were cut next when the giant Park Chanyeol suddenly pulled me into an embrace. I was too shocked to even make a single movement. Gasps and snickers can be heard from behind me.

After that 7.08 seconds long hug, Chanyeol pulled back and grinned widely at me, showcasing his white teeth.

And I finally came into senses.

what…

THE HELL WAS THAT?! THAT WAS TOTALLY UNEXPECTED!!!!!

“I was going to be disappointed when I didn’t see you but now, thanks!” He beamed.

My mouth broke into a smile forcefully. “Uh… you’re welcome.”

“Anyway, you look so beautiful tonight with that emerald gown. Almost like a princess.” Chanyeol blurted out and smiled warmly.

Don’t praise me too much, please.

“Uh… thanks. And… you look dazzling yourself.” I scratched my head awkwardly. The guy just smiled at my praise.

Eh, wait.

GOWN????!!!!!!

With widened eyes, I looked down and examined myself. Yes, I’m DEFINITELY wearing the emerald gown that Lizzy forced me to wear earlier.

No way, man…

Slowly, I turned behind and shot a REAL creepy smile to the culprits. The two girls gulped at my killer aura.

“A-Anyways, aren’t you going to invite us in first?” Sehun spoke, breaking the tension built in the air.

“Oh, right. Sure! But… mind introducing me to your, umm… boyfriends?”

Hearing that, I averted my attention back to Chanyeol who was casting a questioning look at my two new bodyguards.

Oh, right.

“Umm… Chanyeol, this is Luhan and that one is my cousin, Baekhyun. They’re my new bodyguards.” I introduced, not really sure why I emphasized the word ‘bodyguards’. “And you two, this is Chanyeol.”

“Just Chanyeol? You’re not gonna add anything like, your relationship with him?” Kyungsoo who was standing on my right side, teased me with a small smirk.

I hate you.

“This is my FRIEND, Park Chanyeol.” I added without thinking. Then, I remembered about Chanyeol’s confession to me long ago. Oh god, I must’ve hurt his feeling. Damn you, Do Kyungsoo.

From the corner of my eyes, I saw the same bright smile still plastered on Chanyeol’s face. “Nice to meet you two.”

Chanyeol and my two bodyguards exchanged handshakes and warm greetings. I don’t know whether I should feel relieved or not.

What a nice ‘birthday gift’, Jung Jaein.


 

Throughout the party, I met many new people and I tried my best to make myself unnoticed yet still being friendly at the same time. It’s hard, you know? Keeping my identity stays undercover is just SO.ING.HARD.

Can’t blame Chanyeol though. He doesn’t know about my background.

The party was just a casual one, like he said. Boys and girls having their fun in the main hall of the villa. Techno music blasted through the speakers. I’m just glad that there’s no alcohol involved.

“Enjoying yourself?”

Hearing that deep voice again, I turned around and was greeted by a smiling Chanyeol. His smile can be contagious at times that I can’t help but smile back.

“Yeah, thanks to you for inviting.”

“No, I’m glad you come.” He started.

There he goes again.

“But I’m sure going to spend a whole day opening up that bundle of gifts.” He faked a sigh and pointed towards a pile of boxes and wrappings at the middle of the room.

I just rolled my eyes. “Yeah, sure. You lucky brat.” Chanyeol laughed at my sarcasm. “Umm… for earlier, I’m sorry.”

“Sorry? For what?”

I bit my lips and raised my voice a bit since the music kept on getting louder. “You know, about me saying you as a… friend…?”

Chanyeol blinked his eyes a few times and then he remembered. “Ah~ you mean, when you introduced me to your new bodyguards?” I nodded. “Nahh~ don’t mind about that. It should be me saying sorry that I’ve bother you for all this time after the confession day.”

“No!” I looked up and quickly denied. “Please don’t be. I mean, sure, thanks for the confession. I appreciate it. But, I’m still sorry for rejecting it.”

“Ouch! It hurts, you know.” He looked at me with pitiful eyes and pointed at his chest. “Right here.”

I pouted unknowingly. Stop making me feel bad, Park Chanyeol.

Then, he burst out laughing. “I’m just joking, Jaein! Don’t do that. It makes me want to…” The tall guy stopped laughing and I don’t know but he looks tongue-tied?

Huh?

I tilted my head confusedly at his hanging words. “Makes you what?”

As if snapping back to reality, he grinned. “Makes me want to squish your cheek! You cutie Jaeinnie~”

I frowned when Chanyeol stuffed my cheeks in his giant palm and I immediately swatted his hands away. “Geez… You’re the reason why I get chubbier each time we meet.”

“Eyy~ don’t act like you hate it. I know I’m number one in your best guy friends’ chart.” And this time he poked my arms like a playful shy guy.

I found myself chuckling at his annoying yet fun self. “Whatever, Yeollie~”

He grinned even wider (if that’s possible) hearing me calling out his nickname.

So, I guess we’re okay now? Yeah.

“You know what, you are the best present ever for my birthday.” He chuckled. Then, in an instant, his tone turned to a serious one.

“I know this is rare but, tonight, when my birthday actually comes, I have a present for you.

My eyebrows met at the center. “Present? The birthday boy is going to give me a present on his birthday? Hmm… What present?”

He then flashed me a teasing smile. “Later, princess.”