Chapter 7

My Bodyguards: Made In Flower

[JAEIN]

“Cheap.”

“Unbelievable.”

“I can’t believe I forgot about him.”

“So he’s the one who got us into trouble?”

I nodded at my workers who were all surrounding Luhan. When I went to work the upcoming week, I told my workers about the ‘Meeting Luhan Incident’. And now, they’re all inspecting Luhan like a police. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH! I’M SO DAMN SATISFIED!

The expression on Luhan’s face when I spilled the bean, I tell you, PRICELESS! Damn! I forgot to take a picture of that face of his.

It was lunch time and everyone gathered together at the table in the kitchen. The shop was put on a temporary close, signalling it’s our break. Baekhyun and Jongdae who were guarding outside of the shop already had their lunch earlier so Luhan was the only one left to eat lunch together with me and the others in the shop.

Eventually, it took Luhan 15 minutes to ACTUALLY enjoy the lunch as everyone was busy firing him with questions. Ha.

“By the way guys, remember Chanyeol?” Jongin suddenly blurted out that question in the middle of lunch after the interrogation ended. All of my workers nodded.

“The one with a giant physique but cute face and goddamn y deep voice, isn’t it?” Seulgi asked back with her thorough explanation about the guy’s feature. I’m amazed.

Jongin chuckled at Seulgi’s excitement. “Yes, Einstein.”

“So what’s with him?” I asked after. It’s been a while since I heard that name being mentioned though.

Chanyeol is one of Jongin’s friends and he used to be our regular customer. But, since the day he got a job offer, we only get to see him once in a while. And now, if I’m not mistaken, we haven’t seen him for two or three weeks. Busy with work, I suppose.

“Well, his birthday is-”

“HOLY ! TOMORROW IS HIS BIRTHDAY!! PARK CHANYEOL’S D-DAY IS TOMORROW!!!” Lizzy in with widened eyes.

Oh right, he’s turning twenty-one tomorrow night.

Jongin rolled his eyes and hummed in response. “Since you guys are smart enough to figure out my next sentence, so I guess there’s no need for further explanation.”

“Eyy~ are you sulking, big boy?” Sehun with a playful smile.

“Aish!” Jongin then shoved Sehun a mouthful of chicken wings, causing the latter to almost choke. Sehun gave him a menacing stare in return but Jongin just laughed it off.

“So... who’s this Chanyeol guy?” a voice broke out.

All eyes on Luhan before Kyungsoo answered. “He’s our friend.”

“And Jaein’s future boyfriend.”

WHAT THE HELL??!

NOW I’M THE ONE WHO CHOKED ON MY CHICKEN!

“WHAT THE ACTUAL DAMN, LIZZY?!” I spat out after gulping down water to relieve my burning throat.

The ‘innocent’ lamb just grinned at me sheepishly. “It’s true though.”

“Yeah.” Seulgi second that. “As we all knows, he OBVIOUSLY likes you.” And she’s not making it any better.

Must she stress the word ‘obviously’?

“He likes me. But I don’t like him back.” I corrected them. I knew this topic will be brought up because of the name Park Chanyeol.

Then, I heard a mockery laugh beside me. “Just how many boyfriends do you have actually?”

Turning to the amused Luhan, I pointed out my chopsticks at him and shot back. “Just how many weddings have you escaped actually?”

BOOM!

The big bomb has been dropped and Luhan was dumbstruck. The others were laughing at my counter-attack and probably joining my joy in bombing Luhan. Heh. Go and annoy me some more if you think you can handle my attack.

Luhan composed himself after a few frozen seconds. “Stop bringing up the past.”

“Stop saying untrue fact either.” Take that, Luhan.

“Now, now, guys, let’s not waste our lunch time any longer. I still have an announcement on hold here.” Jongin break the tension that grew bigger between me and Luhan.

I put my chopsticks that were about to be shoved into Luhan’s throat, down. “Make it quick.”

“Well, here it is.” Jongin started as he glanced at everyone around the table. “Chanyeol is inviting all of us to his birthday party tomorrow night.”

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaanddddddd, here comes the hooray!

“OH MY GOD!!!!!!!”

“ARE YOU FOR REAL???!!!!!!!”

“YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

“WE’RE GOING TO PARTY ALL NIGHT!!!!!!!”

That’s when it hits me. “Wait!” With my halt, all of them stared at me, waiting for my next words. “Night? Does that mean we’re spending an overnight at his birthday party?”

All attention back to Jongin and the lad nodded. “According to him, yeah.”

“WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” Everyone cheered once again, oblivious to my bewildered expression.

“Not meaning to burst your bubble but, we got work the day after, remember?” I reminded them and their crestfallen expression looked like they just remembered that the event’s day is nowhere near off-days.

“Jaein~ just let it slip for once. Hmm?” Sehun tried to convince me with his cute act. Urm, sorry. You’ve failed. For the gazillion times, that ‘thing’ doesn’t works on me.

“Come on, Jaein. Taking one day off during weekdays won’t hurt, eh?” Lizzy joined Sehun.

Seulgi ganged up on them as she flashed me a pout. “Jaein, please.....”

“Noona~ I already told Chanyeol hyung about our presence at the party.” Jongin tried his eye-smile trick on me. And now, suddenly everyone was making a massive cute attack.

That’s exactly why I don’t want to join the event. IT’S FREAKING CHANYEOL’S BIRTHDAY PARTY! Not that I hate his existence but, ever since that guy shows his interest towards me, I grew more uncomfortable around him. And his hyper-active nature didn’t help at all.

I looked at Kyungsoo and sent SOS using eye signals but he just shrugged it off. “I’m sorry Jaein, but, maybe it’s not a bad idea. After all, we haven’t met him for a long time. I’m sure he missed you too.

There was an obvious sarcasm intended at the last sentence that made me to roll my eyes subconsciously.

“Fine.” Letting out a defeated sigh, I decided to go with the flow. “We’ll take a day off and surprise him.”

“YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Seeing how they were all so happy to get my green light, the frown on my face soon replaced by a smile. Well, I admit I missed his deep voice too. Ha.

“You guys can go but not Jaein.”

Abruptly, I turned my head towards Luhan. “WHAT?! Excuse me but, who are you to control all my activities?”

Seriously, Luhan.

He tilted his head and looked at me with his expressionless face on. “I’m your bodyguard. So, I have every right to watch out your every movement.”

I was about to barf when I suddenly thought that I shouldn’t give in to him. Feeling myself starting to get ahead of him, I nodded casually. “Okay.”

The other five people gasped, shocked at my unexpected actions.

Peasants, hold, I’m not the type to obey other people, remember?

“In that case, I’m going to bring Jongdae oppa with me to the party, considering that he’s one of Chanyeol’s acquaintances. So, there’s no need to worry and thank me later for making your job much easier.” I flashed Luhan a rather mockery smile.

His forehead roughened and before he can counter-attack me, I clapped my hands twice and hushed the others to go back to their work. “Now guys, let’s continue with our work.”

All of them smiled triumphantly after hearing my remarks at Luhan and dispersed off to their respective positions. When I was done cleaning the table up, I felt a tap on my shoulders. I turned around and raised an eyebrow at the smiling Kyungsoo.

I swear if he smiles any wider than this, I’m going to label him as a creepy clown.

“Defence game getting stronger, I see.”

I clucked out my tongue at his point. “If you think I’m gonna get intimidated by that oh-so-manly Luhan, please don’t hesitate to get a consultation from me. Even a sissy would be laughing out loud if that flower-boy swings his fist.”

“Eyy~” Kyungsoo playfully flicked my forehead, making me grimace afterwards. “Don’t underestimate a guy’s strength based on their outer appearance. Not that I’m siding anyone but, who knows he might be the one to jump into your rescue one day?”

I rolled my eyes so hard that if possible, it’s going to reach the back of my head and never rolls back. Heavy sarcasm intended.

He just laughed at my reaction. “Whatever it is, dress prettily tomorrow. That would be more than enough to surprise Chanyeol.”

“And that would be the last thing I want to happen.”

“Ouch. On behalf of Chanyeol, I’m having a feeling he’ll be hurt if he hear you said that.”

I snorted. “And on behalf of Chanyeol, I’m having a vibe he’ll be severely wounded if I don’t show up on his birthday party.”

“Aww~ you still have some humanity, huh? On behalf of Chanyeol, I’m touched.” Kyungsoo fake a tear as he pretended to wipe his ‘teary’ eyes.

I let out a chuckle and pushed him away. “Enough with that.”

With a playful laugh, Kyungsoo went away towards the front counter. As I turned around to bake another boxes of cupcakes, I was met with Luhan’s eyes that were watching me ever-so-intently.

Or is he staring at someone behind me?

Spontaneously, I looked behind my back and... there’s just a concrete white wall. Putting both my hands on my waist, I locked eyes with Luhan and spat out. “What?!”

As if not affected by it, Luhan break the eye contacts and casually staring outside the window.

What’s his deal for God’s sake? I don’t understand this guy and will never do!


 

[LUHAN]

A long sigh escaped from my mouth as I threw myself on the bed. I thought only girls have mood swings? Because I think I’m having one right now.

I heard Jaein’s faint shout from downstairs, telling dinner is ready. This is one thing that made me amazed at her. Despite her busy day and fatigue from work, she managed to prepare us dinner and breakfast. She even packed us lunchbox. How did she even handle all that?

Pushing my feet up, I dragged myself out of the room and downstairs towards the dining table. Jongdae was already sitting on the chair while Jaein still served the dinner. That only leaves Baekhyun to present himself at the table. As usual, he’s always the last one to finish his shower.

Seating myself beside Jongdae after washing my hands, I picked up the chopsticks and downed my first bite of the roasted chicken. Jaein seated herself in front of Jongdae and that’s when Baekhyun came, his hair still wet from the shower.

“Geez, you guys always start without me.” Grumbling, Baekhyun sat in front of me and started to eat like a hungry wolf.

Huh. Says the guy who took 30 minutes to wash up.

I found myself scoffing inwards at the view. As I was about to voice out my thought, Jaein cut me. “Manner first, Mr. Byun.”

Shrugging it off, Baekhyun ignored her reminder and continued to eat like there’s no tomorrow. Jaein shook her head at her beloved cousin. “You make it looks like you didn’t eat lunch earlier.”

“I didn’t.”

Jaein’s chopsticks stopped halfway after hearing that. “You didn’t?” She then eyed Jongdae curiously.

Jongdae put his left hand up in defence. “Don’t blame me. He’s the one who suggest that we play paper-rock-scissor and give the whole lunchbox to the winner.”

What? Well, it does sounds like Baekhyun though. Pssh...

“But I packed one lunchbox per person though.” Jaein wondered. And that made me to subconsciously nod my head.

“I gave mine to a stray puppy...?” Baekhyun admitted as he smiled sheepishly. Jaein scoffed unbelievably at him. I tried to suppress my laughter at the view of a mother holding her anger from scolding her innocent, curious, five-year old son.

I don't even know why do I find it's adorable.

Just then, Jaein’s phone rang, signalling a message came in. She was about to touch her phone when the three of us shouted.

“NO PHONES ON THE DINING TABLE!”

She halted and frowned slightly before resuming her dinner. Well, can’t blame us. She’s the one who set that rule.


 

[JAEIN]

After finished washing the dishes, I made my way towards the living room where I told the boys to gather for an announcement. Swiping through my phone’s lock screen, I plopped onto the couch and read the new messages from the group chat in my Kakao’s Talk.


 

Jongin

here’s the address for tomorrow night’s event:

Block 34B, Plaza Heights,

Pine Garden, Seoul.

 


My eyebrows rose slightly at the address and I scrolled down to read the conversation.


 

Seulgi

u mean, the venue for Chanyeol’s birthday

party??

 

Jongin

yes. and for all measures, please refrain

your excitement.

 

Lizzy

HOLY SHELLSHOCK! YOU’RE KIDDING ME!!!!

THAT’S AN ELITE’S NEIGHBOURHOOD!!!!!!!!

 


The corner of my mouth curved up slightly at Lizzy’s message. Knew it coming. Holding the phone with both of my hands, I typed a reply.


 

Jaein

he DOES looks like he comes from a

rich family anyway. i’ll RELEASE you

guys an hour early tomorrow to get

ready for the party.

 

Lizzy

is there any intention intended on

why you emphasized the word

‘RELEASE’? ~.~

 

Jongin

is it just me or it DOES seems

you’re making it sounds like you’re

releasing dogs? +.+

 

Jaein

oopsie daisy~ capslock mistake :p

 

Seulgi

OMG!!!! THANKS JAEIN-AH~

*throws heart*

 

Jongin

thanks for what?

 

Seulgi

u ungrateful kid! boss is giving us

an hour early off from work.

 

Jongin

yeah so? that’s common courtesy.

 

Seulgi

alright alright. whatever einstein.

 

Sehun

YO! wassup?

 

Seulgi

GO AWAY!!!!

 


 

I smiled by myself at the harsh treatment Seulgi gave to Sehun. Those two REALLY should date each other.

“EHEM!”

Hearing that LOUD INTENTIONAL cough, I lifted up my head to see three guys sitting on the couch in front of me with frown faces.

Err...

“Yes...?” I raised my eyebrows in confusion.

Baekhyun immediately rolled his eyes and sighed. “You called us here for an important announcement. So now, mind putting down your phone and tell us what’s so important?”

“Oh, right!” I scratched my head and smiled sheepishly. “Alright. So, I already told Luhan about this matter in the shop just now. Okay. Jongdae oppa and Baekhyun oppa, I’ll get off work at 5PM tomorrow.”

“Why? Did anything happen?” Baekhyun asked.

“Instead of saying something happen, I would rather say, I have an occasion to attend tomorrow.”

“Ah!” Suddenly, Jongdae snapped his fingers. Hmm? “Did Chanyeol also texted you guys about his birthday party tomorrow night?”

Oh... I see.

“So, he invited you too?”

He nodded at my question. “Yeah, he texted me about it this morning.”

“Hmm... well. Jongin is the one who told us about it. So, what I want to say is, since it’s an overnight party and you’re also invited, I want you to drive me to the venue and be my one-night bodyguard.” I pointed at Jongdae and exclaimed. “As for the other two, consider it as a half-day off. Get it?”

“Why take Jongdae only when we can all attend the party together?”

I snapped my head towards Baekhyun’s direction and narrowed my eyes. “You mean?”

“Well, we are your bodyguards after all. So, we have to stick with you wherever you go.” Baekhyun blurted out casually.

“But Chanyeol didn't invite-”

“Don’t worry. We’ll explain to him properly.” Luhan in with a smile and somehow, his smile looks more like mocking me.

What is he thinking of this time?