Chapter 21

Caught in the Crossfire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hoya

"I brought all of you together for a very special reason, and I am assuming that you already know what that reason is," the company boss started out, his eyes landing on all of us. "You four have been the most exceptional trainees out of the rest, and it is about time that we debut a boy group." Unknowingly, a smile crept onto my face, hearing that we were actually going to achieve our dreams.

"It is unknown about the date of your debut and the concept that we are going for, but the group in general will most likely happen since we already have publicity racked up from the "Battle of the Lovers" variety show," the CEO continued.

"Thank you very much, Mr. CEO," the four of us rang out.

"Yes, I know. However, this does not guarantee your spots, understand? If I don't see the same hardworking men that I saw earlier, then you will be immediately cut out without hesitation," he sternly responded. Hearing the threat, we quickly nodded in understanding and stiffened our postures. "Good, now keep on working hard and spend time together. This new group needs to have a good dynamic and the members have to be close."

We nodded again in reply and the CEO stared right into our eyes, scanning over us with a serious look. Finishing his little visual evaluation, he sat back in his chair and folded his hands together. "Alright, then. You all may leave now," he responded in an odd tone. The mood becoming suddenly awkward, we quickly scuttled out of the office and instantly dashed into the elevator.

"This is the best day ever!" Dongwoo cheered, hopping up and down excitedly. "Come here, all of you!" he exclaimed, dragging us into one big, suffocating group hug.

"D-Dongwoo!" Chaejin coughed out. "We haven't even pressed the elevator button yet! Let's do that before crushing each other!" Seeing that he was crushing the rest of us, Dongwoo immediately released us from his grasp and let us stretch out. He reached over to hit the elevator button and the doors finally closed.

Descending down the building, the elevator was filled up with our lively cheers. Even though we expected the news due to the circulating rumors about a debuting group, we were still in awe that it had actually happened. The sweat, blood, and tears that we put into our training were finally beginning to pay off, and our dreams were being fulfilled in front of our eyes.

Reaching the lower training floors, we slid out through the elevator doors and headed directly to the dance studio. Other than a few practicing trainees, the room was mostly empty, so we headed to the far side of the room and took a seat on the wide couch. Already, the four of us were discussing future plans, including our group name, what concept we could possibly have, and the style of music that we would do. Today had lifted all of our spirits up, and the bright atmosphere around us was quite evident.

I debated on whether to tell Sungjong about the news; however I restrained myself for now, as he was probably working hard at his new company. But even though Sungjong didn't know, I was sure that he would be very proud of us.

~~~

Sungjong

Today was quite a day full of surprises.

Right when I had stepped outside, there was a creepy feeling building up inside of me. I tried to shake it off once I continued walking through the streets, but it was still there. It felt as if someone was out there, watching me, and following every single move of mine. This same feeling was there back when I was under Infinite Corp. too, so I didn't understand why it was so prominent today.

There wasn't anything to do about the matter anyways, since I was supposed to get to work, and there really was no time to chase away stalkers. Bag slung over my shoulder, I wove through the streets, trying to get to the building on time. Naturally, I headed in the direction of Sunggyu's company building, but I reminded myself that I was now under a different fashion company. Although it gave an unnatural feeling, I turned to the correct direction of the corporation, and reached the area with plenty of time to spare.

Jimin had told me that my schedule would be essentially the same in my new job, so there was at least a bright side to this move. However, I found myself missing a lot of the old things at Infinite Corp. There was no flirting from the secretary, no random visits from the CEO to cheer me up, and no happiness. The workers were quite dry and cold, having isolated personalities at their workplace. Even at the old building, some of the employees learned to treat me as their friend. It could have been because I indirectly raised their salaries, but still, the feeling was warm.

Appearing at my respective floor, I looked through the halls for my assigned office. The room number had been hastily scratched down on my notes, making the title completely illegible. Carefully opening a door to an office, I took doubtful steps into the room. I hoped that my guess was correct, but there already was another figure in the same room. Recognizing the familiar outline of the person, I ran up to tap his shoulder.

"Kibum, where's my office? I have no idea where it is, and there are so many rooms here." The man turned around to answer my question, looking at me with somber eyes.

"It should be right across the hallway," he pointed.

"Ok, thank you," I quickly said, stepping out of the office. Although Kibum didn't bring anything up, I could tell that he was still bitter about the circumstances that we were in. He had been separated from his own boyfriend, and now he was working in a company without the same, friendly co-workers. I felt incredibly guilty for being the cause of Kibum's sadness, knowing that he was amongst the many people that I affected, but there was nothing I could do except follow Doyeon's commands.

"I'm sorry," I said, stepping back into his office. He gave a soft nod in return, and I took that as a sign to leave.

~~~

"Are you finding your new workspace well?" Jimin asked as she entered my office. I looked up from the current work that I was doing to glance at her, and not

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter