Chapter 20

Caught in the Crossfire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sungjong

"Why don't we get out of the house and do something today?"

"No," I grumbled, tossing around in my bed. "Can't I just get some peace today?"

"But it's already past noon," Hoya reasoned, shoving his phone in my face to prove his point.

"You're just making numbers up," I grumbled, curling back up into the sheets.

Hoya seemed pretty irritated at my lack of response, so he heaved me out of the bed and dragged me to the living room. Stumbling over my feet, I collapsed onto the couch, trying to recall the memories of yesterday. Snippets of them started to resurface, until the rest of them came back to me. I could remember the somber faces of Woohyun and Sunggyu as they departed, heading into the glass doors of the airport. Feeling a cold shiver, I sat up and rubbed my eyes.

The room cleared up in front of my clouded vision, as I recollected the fact that I was back in the same apartment that I had previously shared with Hoya and Dongwoo. The huge mansion that belonged under Sunggyu was sold away, so I was back in the care of these two. It felt good to be out of the cold home, but on the other hand, it seemed quite unusual to not wake up on Sunggyu's bed for once. I wished I could still feel the warmth from Sunggyu, but as of now, there was nothing to comfort me.

"So, are we going to go anywhere?" Hoya prodded again, snapping me back into reality.

"Yeah sure, why not?" I drowsily replied, willing myself to get off the couch. I twisted from side to side and raised my arms to stretch, letting out a loud yawn. I was compelled to sit at home and do nothing for the whole day, but Sunggyu's advice rang clear in my head. Woohyun and Sunggyu wouldn't want me to pout and do nothing all the time, so it seemed like a good idea to go out.

~~~

"What do you want to eat, Sungjong?" Dongwoo asked, flipping through the menu so that I could see the vast selection of dishes that they had here.

"Just get me whatever you want," I replied, not caring as long as I got my fair share of food. As long as the meal didn't taste or smell horrid, then I could do with anything that they gave me.

After ordering, the food came out within a matter of minutes. The service was considerably fast, but there weren't really any other customers, so the fast timing wasn't exactly shocking.  Dongwoo had ordered udong noodles for all of us, and we happily dug into the meal.

"So how are you doing with everything, Jongie?" Dongwoo asked, face stuffed with noodles. I jumped a little at the question, but it was more due to the fact that Dongwoo was able to say a coherent sentence with food in his mouth. Seeing that I was staring at his mouth, he immediately swallowed his food and blotted his face with a napkin.

"It'll be fine, don't worry. And Dongwoo, I think you missed a spot," I replied, giving a little giggle at his terrible manners.

"These noodles are very good, I'll have you know that. It's almost impossible to resist the amazing taste!" he exclaimed joyfully. Dongwoo brought another scoop of noodles into his mouth before continuing the conversation. "And that's good Sungjong, you know that we all miss Woohyun and Sunggyu too, so we can also feel your..." Dongwoo suddenly broke mid-sentence to yell out a painful, "Oww!"

"That's what you get for chewing while talking, idiot," Hoya teased, clearly enlightened by Dongwoo's foolish action.

"But it really hurt," he whined, opening his mouth up for us. "Look at how hard I bit myself!" he exclaimed, pulling down his lip to show us the small wound. Honestly, the bite that he made was so small that it probably didn't deserve whining. But after all, it was Dongwoo that we were dealing with.

"Drink your water. Maybe it'll wash away," Hoya said, boringly looking up from his food.

"But the water here tastes a bit weird," Dongwoo replied in a low voice, not wanting to offend any of the workers in the restaurant.

"Just use your napkin to dry up the blood," I chimed in.

"They didn't give us napkins!" Dongwoo complained again.

"Then go to the bathroom!" Hoya lashed out, finally reaching his boiling point. There was only so much complaining he could handle, and I felt some sympathy for him, since he put up with it so often.

"Fine, but come with me, Sungjong. I think I need someone to help me with this," Dongwoo said with a smug look on his face. I swear, if he planned this whole scenario out just to get me to come to a bathroom with him, I wouldn't even know what to do with the man.

"Did you do all of this just so I could take care of you?" I questioned, angrily furrowing my eyebrows.

"Maybe, maybe not," he said with a smirk. I was about to hit him out of annoyance, but then again, Dongwoo deserved some points for being so elaborate about his lip-biting plan. Sometimes he really was smarter than he looked.

"I've had enough of taking care of you hyungs," I huffed out. "Don't you remember how annoying you guys all were when you were drunk? It was like Woohyun and I were taking care of kindergarteners."

"I'd like to agree with you on that, but I don't necessarily remember any of that," Hoya sheepishly said, his f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter