Chapter 12

Caught in the Crossfire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sungjong

Walking to the company building felt somehow refreshing today. The reason for my happiness was unknown, but I just assumed that it was from yesterday's events. The chase put some excitement into my life, whether it was good or bad in the end. I realized that this is what love should be like - exciting, thrilling, and full of enthusiasm. Well, minus the multiple lovers situation. That was an extra obstacle that I needed to conquer.

Stepping through the streets with a bounce on my step, I happily whistled a tune while waiting for the stoplight to change. I noticed my shoe was untied so I bent down to tighten up the laces. From behind me, I heard a sharp scuff from someone's shoes. Still in my kneeling position, I instantly turned back to see who it was, but there wasn't a sign of anyone nearby. That was a bit weird.

Once I finished fastening my shoelaces, I got up and continued to the building. However, I could still hear faint footsteps from behind me. I thought that I was being paranoid or something, so the thought was brushed aside and my walk was continued until I reached the building. I took a quick look over my shoulder to make sure that no one was following me and strolled through the revolving doors.

Woohyun greeted me for once, as he was always busy in the past weeks. "Sungjong! How are you doing?" He turned to face me with a sparkle in his eyes.

"I'm doing great today. So do you not have anything to do right now?"

"No, not really. Business is starting to slow down, so I have less work to do." He happily smiled.

"I guess you could say the same for me. Kibum is taking over my work for me, so I'm also left with nothing to do."

"Really? Then why don't we go somewhere, say around the end of the week?"

"Sure, why not? And I'll make sure that no one crashes it this time." I gave him a wink and headed up to my office.

When I entered my room, I saw someone already in the office. He was turned towards the window, gazing at the view of the city. I couldn't see his face, but just looking at his dark clothing allowed me to properly identify who he was. "Myungsoo? What are you doing here? Today isn't one of your evaluation days."

"Can't I just be here to visit you?"

"I guess so, but isn't it a little weird? I mean, your wife sort of hates my guts."

"She has her problems, but she's not so bad."

"She's not bad? Are you sure your head is screwed on correctly?"

Myungsoo turned around to face me, his eyes analyzing my expression. He waited a few seconds before speaking again. "I know she's terrible. In fact, I hate even living with her. But do you want me to hate the woman who was responsible for my success?"

"I understand, but was your success more important than me?"

His face went cold, as he seemed to be searching for something to say. "I shouldn't have left you, but it was what my family wanted and I needed to help them out. That's why I came back to see you. I wanted to fix things, but I didn't know that there'd be other guys lined up for you."

My eyes dropped to the ground, not wanting to directly look at Myungsoo. "I guess you were a bit too late..."

"I know I was, but I still love you Sungjong." He softly pushed my chin up to meet his gaze. I felt him start to lean forward, but I knew that this wasn't the right thing to do yet.

I took a few steps back. "Myungsoo, let's not d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter