Rebirth of Summer

Memories of Summer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Rebirth of Summer 「Sixteen」

 

Today is the eighteenth of February, my birthday. I don’t usually like celebrating days like this, but today is an exception. A few random officemates came and it surprised me as I don’t exactly have friends at work. The few people who are close to me are all either dead or in another country, except for Victoria.

 

Victoria made me a cake. It was chocolate chiffon that she baked herself. I suddenly realized that I didn’t know how good a baker she was. Or maybe I wasn’t really paying attention to her. The cake tasted great. I told her that and she gave me a smile.

 

My apartment is suddenly filled with people, party poppers, food and wine that I didn’t know I had. Big print-outs of photographs I didn’t know I took are out for display. My officemates are busy hovering on a photo. It is a photo of a two hands holding strawberry ice cream cones. I honestly can’t remember taking it, but it was beautiful, I have to admit. It gives off a nice warm feeling.

 

The party is very dreary. I don’t really know these people. It’s very weird because they are all acting so nice to me. They also knew a great deal about me, like my favorite foods, my taste in clothing, my cologne, and small other things that I didn’t know practical strangers would notice in the sterile environment of an office. I found out about this through the gifts they bought me. It was really thoughtful of them since the party commenced on a short notice. I didn’t expect they'd actually bring gifts. I didn’t expect anyone to come except Summer.

 

Summer is late. Time is dragging like an airglider on land. My officemates are clearly having fun but I’m just too awkward to socialize and too preoccupied about waiting for my most anticipated guest.

 

At last, she arrives. I’m glad that she didn’t tag Kyuhyun along. She says that he had to work today since he was absent the last time because of her. She also brought me a present, a purple tie. It’s weird that I found a purple tie the other day under my bed. I didn’t know I had one. Now I have two.

 

Suddenly, the air is so tense. Everyone is looking at me and Summer as if we are ghosts.

 

“Hey! You’re here!” Summer rushes towards Jung Yunho and greets him happily. Yunho is the guy across my cubicle. He seems nice but I don’t remember talking to him that much in the office. He seems to be the type of guy who is too serious about work. He arrives thirty minutes before his shift and goes overtime each time he gets.

 

“Oh, you know each other…” I murmur. And then Summer proceeds to greet my three other officemates.

 

Kim Jaejoong, the male bimbo. I swear, our boss hired him just because he looks good. His main talent is wearing the lowest of all v-necklines. When he wears a polo shirt, the first three buttons are always undone. He uses facebook and twitter all the time while on the job. According to office gossip, someone saw Yunho and him doing something weird in the pantry.

 

“I met them a year ago… in… in…Honestly, I forgot how I met them. But I’m just glad to see you guys here. How did you know Max?” She smiles beautifully before she taps Park Yoochun on the shoulder.

 

“We are off

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter