Prove It

Philosophy on Love (Completed)
The Friday before the wedding, Kim needed to rush down to the hall and begin preparing for the wedding. All the tables were set out and it was 5:00; therefore she had at least five hours to prepare all eighteen centrepieces and table settings for the next evening before getting back to her sister’s house and getting a good night’s rest before the organized chaos began. Maja’s was accompanying her, but Kim knew she’d be doing it all on her own. But that’s how she liked it. She came to the conclusion that if you wanted something done, you needed to do it yourself.

She was finished the sixth centrepiece an hour later and set it in the middle of table 6. “Does it look okay?”

Maja was working on the table settings, “For the hundredth time, yes. It looks amazing, sweetie.” Maja also noticed how distracted Kim seemed the last couple of days, and decided it was time for a confrontation. “I spoke to Rayver last night…he said Gerald hasn’t left his house for almost a week now.” Kim hands trembled to the sound of his name. “Rayver’s worried about him…do you have anything to say about that?”

Kim cleared , “I’m guessing you’re blaming me for his recent mood change?” She said, strategically placing the floating candles on in front of each square plate.

“I’m not blaming you, but your mood change coincides with his. I can’t help but think that one of you got hurt during your time together being…whatever you guys were. You know you came to school all happy and excited one day and then depressed and sulking the next. And now he hasn’t left his house? Obviously something’s going on.”

Kim took a step back to admire the hot pink-and-sherbet centrepieces of Sarah Bernhardt and Monsieur Jules Elie peonies and sweet pea, with eight small bowls, filled with water and floating roses and candles inside. “Listen Maja, tomorrow is my sister’s wedding. And nothing’s going to ruin it. I love weddings, they make you believe in happy endings…even for just a night. So, whatever happened between Gerald and I will exist after the wedding and reception. But right now, there are no problems. The thing I am worried about is finishing all eighteen of these extravagant centrepieces for all these tables and the head table before 10:00. Now can we please stop talking about Gerald and let me continue with my duties as Maid of Honour, wedding planner and sister?”

She knew when to keep shut, so Maja nodded. But just because she didn’t say anything, didn’t mean this conversation was over. It was far from over.

It was 11:15 when Kim was completely finished with the venue, and she had to say that all her planning looked better than ravishing. The compliments of different pink hues lighted by elegant candles and high chandeliers made the room look like it came out of a dream. She smiled impressed by what she accomplished. “How does it look?”

“Kim…it looks breathtaking, more than beautiful. It’s so romantic. Your sister and future brother will love it, adore it and so will the guests. But the next wedding you’re planning is mine,” Maja giggled. “Or yours, considering whoever gets engaged next.”

Kim laughed. “Okay, now in seven hours I need to get up and fix my sister’s breakfast in bed and then we’ll have a wedding to attend.”

The two of them walked to their parked cars outside. They were the only ones left in the darkened parking lot. “Listen, Kim…” Kim turned to face her friend. “I know that you’re still a believer in fairy tales and love at first sight and all of that. But just because you got disappointed once or twice…it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. It might take a little longer to find it. So don’t give up hope. Like you said, tomorrow you’re going to believe in everything magical…you never know what could happen.” Maja hugged her friend before driving away.

Kim drove to her sister’s house where they had a couple of drinks, changed into their pyjamas and told each other stories from when they were little and then fell asleep next to the fireplace; just as they did as a family in the past. But she didn’t fall asleep. These were the times where she wished she could see her mother and father again. They passed away when she was still a child. Oh how much Kim needed them now, just for some advice, just for the comfort she seeked.

Before heading home, Maja made one last stop to Gerald’s house after she threatened the address out of Rayver. She rang the doorbell constantly until he opened the door. His bloodshot eyes said he was sleeping, but she didn’t care. “Sorry to wake you, but this won’t take long if you’re cooperative.”

He moved out of the way to let her in. “What can I do for you at 11:30 at night, Maj?” He asked going to the kitchen and grabbing bottled water.

“It’s good to see you’re still in one piece. From Rayver’s descriptions, I would’ve thought your upper half is in the living room getting drunk and the other half is in the bedroom.” He glared at her. “Okay, so I’m not here to insult you. I’m here for Kim. Tomorrow’s her sister’s wedding, this is the address,” she put a piece of paper onto the counter. “If you have any interest in getting back together with her, this’ll be night.”

“And why would I care? It’s not like she’s dying to get back together with me.”

“You’re right. She’s not, but she’s dying trying to be away from you. And it looks like you are too.” She paused. “Since you guys spent a lot of time with each other, I’m sure you know about her previous engagement. She doesn’t think I knew about it, but I did. Gerald, she was so depressed, so down that it’d kill her. For years, she spent them studying and reading and she spent it in this fantasy world where nothing could go wrong, where true love existed, where perfection was everywhere. And then she met you who proved that the world she lived in, or the world she claimed existed, didn’t.” Maja took a seat on one of the stools. “I’m not saying she’s right, and you’re wrong, or that you’re fully at fault. I can see that you’re hurting as much as she is. But tomorrow, it’ll be the night that she’ll believe in all of it again. Knights in shining armour, castles, a horse drawn carriage that’ll ride in the sunset. And even if it’s just for one night; one night where magic happens, you can be a part of it.” She sighed. “Gerald, she may come across as a delusional girl who believes in too many fictional things; but the truth is she just wants to be in love. She wants to believe that love can last forever. I know that you think all of this is bull, but I can see in your eyes that you care about her. She won’t let it show, but she’s crying inside, she’s bleeding inside. I’m asking you if you care enough about her to fix her, to repair her broken heart and yours. You don’t find true love everyday, so you’re going to be stupid if you push it away when it’s right in front of you.” Maja got up and began walking towards the door. “I’m not forcing you to do what I’m asking. Frankly, you have no reason to. But I just hope that somewhere in that heart of yours, you find the part that believes in the same thing Kim believes; the same thing everyone else in the world believes in. Good night, Gerald. I truly hope I see you tomorrow.”

The next morning, Kim woke up early and did her duties as sister slash Maid of Honour. They went to the salon and got their hair and make-up done, since they got their manicure and pedicure done a couple of days earlier. They drove back to her sister’s place where all the bridesmaids met up, and then got dressed into their gowns.

It was 1:38 in the afternoon and the ceremony was scheduled for 2:00, so everyone hopped into the white limousine and made their way to the Church. They walked into the Cathedral and Lakam nearly collapsed at the sight of it. “Kim, it’s gorgeous! Oh, it’s amazing!”

Kim smiled “Ate, don’t cry, you’ll ruin your make-up.”

“Kim, you are the best sister, Maid of Honour and wedding planner in the world. I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

All the women walked into the bridal room and at 2:00 sharp, they were called to take their position.

The ceremony lasted for about an hour and ended with pink rose petals being thrown at the newlywed couple as they made their way out.

And now it was onto the reception. Kim arrived extra early to see if everything was complete and nothing was screwed up. She sighed in relief when the room looked untouched and everything still looked perfect. She asked for the lights to dimmed a little more, and let the live band set up in their corner.

It was 5:00 and everyone was beginning to make their way into the venue, gasping as they saw the luxurious decorations. Kim went to see the bride and groom and they looked ecstatic. “So how are the newlyweds?”

“Oh, Kim, you did an amazing job with downstairs. The room looks like a dream.”

Kim smiled at their approval, “That was the theme, wasn’t it? A dream come true? I’m so happy for you guys.”

“Okay, baby sis, you’re gonna make the bride cry again. Save it for the speeches.” Her new brother-in-law went in a for hug. “Thanks for doing everything. We couldn’t have done it without you.”

Kim smiled again, “Okay enough. The party is not over yet. You guys are needed to make the grand entrance as husband and wife. Let’s go guys. Let’s get some food!” She laughed.

An hour into the reception and everything was going perfect. Except that’s what Kim thought.

Maja kept on looking back during the dinner, hoping to see the person she needed to see. But nothing…yet. At 6:10, she made another discreet look, and smiled when she saw a clean Gerald in a tux. “Yes!” She said.

Kim turned to stare at her “date.” “What’s wrong?”

“Um…nothing’s wrong. You know what I forgot. I forgot my scarf in my jacket. Can you get it for me?” Maja asked.

“We’re inside, you don’t need it.” Kim answered.

Maja looked disappointed. “Kim, please! Aren’t you supposed to make the guests happy and comfortable, because you aren’t doing a good job if you’re not getting me my scarf.” Kim glared at her. “Go! Now! Before I complain to your sister!”

Maja pushed her off her chair, “Okay! I’m going!” She walked out and went to the lobby and noticed a man in a suit pacing. She couldn’t see his face, and thought that he might’ve been lost. “Excuse me, are you lost?”

Gerald spun around and his eyes widened at her breathtaking beauty. She was wearing a champagne pink strapless chiffon dress that swayed whenever the door opened. Her hair was in tousled waves and pinned to one side, leaving the right side of her neck and collarbone bare and irresistible. Her lips were a shade, but glossy and devastatingly alluring. “Hi,” his voice was deep and husky. He missed her, he missed staring at her and being in her presence. He missed her seductive perfume that she was wearing now and he was engulfed in.

“What are you doing here? It’s invitation-only.” She said.

He nodded and continued to stare at her. “Maja gave me an invitation. Listen, I need to talk to you.”

“I don’t have anything to say, and I need to head back.” She spun around.

Like all those times before, he stopped her. “I’m not going anywhere until you talk to me.”

She smiled at him and inclined her head, “Then I guess you’ll never leave.” She walked back into the hall and went to her sister. “Can we start the speeches?” Her sister nodded excitedly.

Maja noticed this, and went to get Gerald. “Did you talk to her?”

He shook his head, “She doesn’t want to listen.”

“Then make her listen. Come on, they’re about to do the speeches.” Maja took his hand and stood at the back of the wall. “Doesn’t she look beautiful?”

Gerald smiled, “Its Kim, she never looks beautiful. She always looks like an angel.”

Maja nudged him, “You are so in love with her.”

After the best man, Kim made her way to the stage. “Good evening, everyone, I’m Ate Lakam’s baby sister. I don’t exactly have anything prepared to say, considering I spent the last six months planning this damn wedding,” everyone chuckled. “But being sisters, I don’t exactly need to write something in advance. Um…our parents passed away when we were young, and ever since that time, Ate has become more than a sister to me. She’s become a mother figure and my best friend. When we were little, we grew up with a fantasy of what our wedding was going to be like and the man we were going to marry. Our parents had this great love story that is timeless in our hearts, and since we were kids, we wanted that too. A love story to share to our kids and for them to have this undeniable belief that true love exists. I hate that my older sister found it before I did,” Kim laughed, “but at the same time, I am so happy that she did. You know, a wedding is the day that marks the beginning of forever. And it’s the day where everyone else can believe in that forever. When I look at Ate Lakam and Kuya James, I see a gorgeous couple who will make gorgeous babies,” she paused to swallow the lump in . “But I also see a Prince and his Princess getting ready to ride into the sunset. As adults, most of us stop believing in fairy tales and happy ever afters, but today is the day to believe again. We have a couple before us who is standing evidence of the fairy tale in which some of us stopped believing in.” She looked directly at Gerald. “But what their love taught me is that we all need to take a chance and believe in the possibility even if life gives us every reason not to believe. That’s how strong love is; that’s how strong their love is. It all gives us hope that someday, somehow we’ll all find that one person who looks at us and makes our heart melt,” she looked at Gerald once again. “or can make everything okay again with one word, or one look or just one action.” Kim smiled and raised her glass to her sister. “So here’s to Ate Lakam and Kuya James to finding the one; here’s to their unpredictable, yet beautiful future together; and here’s to their great love story that will forever be in all our hearts. Congratulations you guys. If anyone deserves a happy ever after, it’s you.” Kim went over and gave her family a kiss.

Everyone took their seats and were talking amongst each other. Maja looked over at Gerald, “Are you going to go up there, or not?”

“Are you serious?” He asked.

Maja sighed. “Are you an idiot? What do you think I meant when I said to make her listen? And what’s more romantic than professing your love in front of the whole world, in front of her world? Go!” She pushed him up.

Gerald walked through the crowds and made his way on stage, tapping the mic to get their attention. “Excuse me? I’d just like to add something to Kim’s speech.”

Lakam looked at Kim, “Do I know him?”

Kim sighed, “No.” She walked to the bottom of the stage, “Gerald, get down, you’re not part of this.” She whispered loudly.

“I’m not leaving until you hear me out,” Gerald said over the mic, “And this is the only way how.” He smiled and looked at the audience. He wasn’t much of a crowd’s person. “Wow, there are a lot of people.” He chuckled, and Kim looked around embarrassed. “So let’s give another round of applause to Kim’s wonderful speech.” The crowd clapped.

“Gerald, stop!”

“So Kim made a really good point. How most of us stopped believing in fairy tales. Can I see a show of hands who still believes in their Prince Charming or Princess?” He was surprised at how many people actually participated. “Well I don’t.” The crowd fell silent. “You know I grew up in a broken family where love wasn’t exactly the foundation of our relationship. So as I got older, I got a really messed up perception of this fairy tale that all of you grew up believing in. And then one fateful night, I met some beautiful girl in a bar who was confident on this myth of forever. And as screwed up as I was, I challenged her. I told her that I could predict any man’s actions and I could tell her what would happen, and prove that it didn’t exist.” Kim fell on a chair and buried her face in her hands. “So I spent weeks on the phone with this woman and weeks at her apartment just exchanging theories and stories. And the last thing that I thought would ever happen to me, happened. I began believing. She trusted, she relied on, she accepted that she’d fall in love one day and that’d be it. Who knew that her belief in that would change me? So I ended up doing a really bad thing with challenging her. I hurt her, and I broke her heart. Some may say that I made her stop believing. Which is ironic, this girl who made me believe in fairy tales, stopped. Anyways, during that time where I hurt her and where we were apart, you’d think that I just fall back on my old ways. Which I did in physical terms, but mentally, everything stayed the same.” Kim finally looked up, and met his gaze. “Because of her, I believe in happy endings, I believe in fairy tales and I believe in forever. I believe in love. Because I am in love; something I never thought I’d be. I’m in love with you. And I know I messed up, I know I hurt you, I know I’ve been an , but love makes you do the wacky,” he chuckled. “Loving you made me do everything I would never do, like showing up at a wedding I wasn’t invited to and making a speech in front of three hundred complete strangers. But, I wouldn’t change it because I like this feeling. I love it. I love loving you.” He saw her shimmering eyes, and then saw her walk away.

There was more murmuring in the hall, but that didn’t stop Gerald from making a bigger of himself by running after her. He caught her before she reached outside. “Kim!”

She spun around. “I hate you,” her voice cracked. “I hate that I met you and I hate that you hurt me and I hate that you just made a fool of me in front of my family!” She hit his chest. “I hate that you make me cry, and you always make me cry.” She sobbed.

“Kim…” he said, reaching out and cupping her cheek.

“I hate that after all of this…I hate that I still love you.” She admitted. She bought down her walls, and embraced his touch. “I still love you,” she repeated.

Gerald smiled, “I love you, too.” He pulled her against him and kissed her.

There was cheering behind them; loud clapping and loud cheers. Gerald pulled away, but not far enough that she wasn’t in his arms. He laughed seeing complete strangers egging him on. “Kim, I didn’t believe in love until I met you,” he said to her. He wiped her tears away. “I want to be with you,” he smiled. “And if I have to spend the rest of my life proving to you how much I love you, I’d do that.”

“Forgive him already!” A voice called out from behind the crowd.

Kim knew it was Maja. “You don’t believe in it.”

“He just said he did, pay attention, Kim.” Lakam said in front of everyone. Kim glared at her sister. Lakam walked beside Kim, “Listen, you always wanted that perfect love story. This is it, Kim. You have a man who hurt you,” she glared at Gerald, “who came to a stranger’s wedding and revealed how much you changed him. It doesn’t get any better than that.”

Kim already knew her answer, but didn’t want to do it in front of the whole crowd. She took his hand and walked outside on the terrace, despite the still freezing winds blowing by. “I don’t know if I can forgive you.” She said. “You know you spent the last couple of months making me fall in love you, and then I figure out that it’s all a lie.” She said, taking a seat on the bench at the end.

Gerald took a seat beside her.

“I don’t know if I can forget all of that.” She continued.

“I know I hurt you, but Kim--”

Her fingers against his lips stopped him from going on. “But I can try.” She dropped her finger. “All I can do is try,” her lips curved into a smile.

He smiled too and grabbed her hand with one, and pulling her head towards his with the other until their foreheads were touching. “I missed you, Kim Chiu. I missed your big brown eyes,” he kissed her closed eyelids, “I missed your cute nose,” he kissed the tip of her nose. “I missed those cheeks,” he kissed each one. “And I miss those lips,” he kissed her lips.

She missed him too. She pulled apart from him. “You know my family is still watching, right?”

He laughed looking back, “Yeah well that speech was more embarrassing then this.” He said.

“That had to be the most romantic anyone’s ever done for me.”

“See, I’m learning.” He answered, standing up and reaching out for her hand.

She was hesitant at first, but then took his warm, inviting hand. “You still have a long way to go, Mister.”

“Okay,” he said, leading their way back into the hall. “How about starting with a dance?”

She nodded, “That’s a good start.” Music was already playing, and Gerald pushed her out, still holding her hand, twirling her around and then pulling her against him into the proper position. His hand on her back, and his other holding hers. “I missed you, too.” She said, meeting his eyes.

“I have a question for you, actually,” he started. Kim gave him her attention. “Would you go on a date with me, considering this would be our first official date.”

Kim laughed and smiled. “I don’t know. My schedule’s pretty full.” Gerald’s face fell and he suddenly looked embarrassed. He wasn’t used to getting shot down. “But I think I can find the time.”