Chapter six.

Love's Own Providence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“We’ve been here for a week now and I have yet to see Nathaniel for more than half an hour at a time. What’s the deal with that? And not once have Mr. and Mrs. Ok shown their faces… Are they on a business trip?” I asked Maybel as she zipped up the back of my dress. It was Sunday and I had agreed to accompany Ed to church for Mass.

I watched Maybel in the mirror, confused why she was pursing her lips and suddenly dropped her head, looking like she might be on the verge of tears. I thought that Maybel and I had gotten rid of some of our distance when I told her that she didn’t have to call me Miss Elizabeth after learning that she was only 6 years older than me.

“Maybel, what’s wrong?” I ask, worried.

But she only shook her head, took a deep breath and smiled, “nothing’s wrong, Miss Elizabeth… oh umm, nothing’s wrong, Penelope. I’m just really glad you and Mr. Ed are here.”

She had finished fixing up my dress. I hopped off the stool and walked out of the bathroom in search of Ed. Somehow, I managed to get myself lost within a minute of leaving my suite. At first, I was really worried but upon realizing that there were CCTVs in every hallway, I waved at the first one I passed and mouthed “I’m lost”. I’m sure they’ll find me sooner or later. For now, I’ll explore and try to figure out my own way back.

Most of the doors I passed were locked. All except 5 of them. The first two were storage rooms, the third appeared to be an art studio, the fourth looked like it used to a nursery. I walked in; intrigued by the beautiful wooden rocking horse at the far end of the room in front of a large framed painting. As I sat rocking on the horse, I saw that the painting was actually a large photo of two little boys giggling as they rode on rocking horses, like I the one I was riding. One of the boys – the younger one – in the painting looked familiar.

Upon closer inspection, I realized that the boy was Nathaniel!

Was this Nathaniel’s nursery room? Who’s the boy with him? WAIT… is that

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN THIS ROOM?”

A very angry man is standing in the doorway.

“oh I’m sorry...am I not allowed to be in here? The door…the door it was unlocked and slightly ajar…and I …I was curious so…” I stuttered.

“Miss Elizabeth? Is that you? I thought you were a maid. Oh, I am very sorry for yelling at you but this room is indeed off limits.”

“Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Owen and I am the head butler.” The man explains.

 “Why though? It’s such a cute nursery!” I ask, frowning.

“Miss Elizabeth, I would appreciate it if you would be discrete and not talk to anyone else of your visit to this room. Please do not share this room’s location or contents with your friend Mr. Ed and certainly not with Young Master Nathaniel. I may be fired if you do not follow these instructions. Do you understand?”

“Oh, of course, I wouldn’t wish to be a burden and cause you to lose your job!” I promised him.

He led me out of the room, closed it behind me and took out a ring of keys. With that, he chose a long silver key and locked the nursery door. After placing the keys back in his pocket, he turned to me and told me that he would walk me back to my room.

Not long after Owen brought me back to my room, I heard 3 loud knocks at the door. Expecting it to be Ed, I ran to the door and pulled it open.

To my surprise and disappointment, it was Nathaniel.

Where is Ed? I haven’t seen him since yesterday afternoon. And where did Maybel disappear off to?

“Oh, hey Nathaniel. What’s up?” I asked, trying to be friendly while craning my neck out the door in search of Ed.

“Hay is for horses and what do you mean ‘what’s up’? It’s hard to believe that you were brought up in a respectable household the way you talk and act.” He replied, making me not want to try to be nice to him.

“Well, what do you want?” I asked, getting annoyed with his Price attitude.

He replied to my question with a question. “Beach house or amusement park?”

“What do you mean beach house or amusement park?”

“Gavin says that he’ll take us somewhere and suggested going to the beach house and playing at the beach or going to the amusement park.”

“Who’s Gavin?” This conversation was making me more and more confused.

“He is my advisor and mentor and has been with me since before I can remember. He is like a best friend to me” Nathaniel explained. He looked so sad that I instantly regretted even thinking of being mean to him.

I understood a bit more now. “Which one do you like more?” trying to make him happy.

He paused before speaking. “Well…I have never been to the amusement park before. Have you?”

I was astoni

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter