Chapter eight.

Love's Own Providence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

How long have I been awake? What time is it right now? My head feels like someone took a hammer to it. How hard did it hit the stone path? Everywhere hurts…I feel so dizzy...My head feels like it is splitting and my mouth is so dry.

Is that a voice? Why don’t my eyes open? What time is it right now? A few minutes? An hour maybe? I can’t tell. Finally, I manage to open my eyes a slit and see a clump under a blanket on a couch.

What is…

What day is it? There seems to be a fog descending over me. I can’t move my limbs and my eyes and mouth aren’t listening to my command.

I try to remember what happened when I was running down the path but all that I can think of is random stuff. Old memories and images from my childhood, flashing by without order, like videos set to shuffle.

What am I wearing? A button down? I don’t own any button downs. Did something happen to all my clothes and now I am stuck wearing Ed’s? Maybe I should get up and take a shower to clear my mind.

I feel so cold. I lift my hand to my chest to pull up the blanket. The rustling of the fabric is unfamiliar to me.

And what is that smell? There is a light lemon scent in the air that reminds me of a disinfectant.

I manage to open my eyes with great effort and attempt to lift up my head to try to figure out my surroundings.

WHAT ROOM AM I IN? The lighting in the room is dim. It looks like I am lying on a metal bed. With ramps near where my two hands are. There is a panel of buttons on what looks like a remote connected to a wire, near my left hand. On the night table, there is a bouquet of flowers.

I look upwards and notice a bag of fluid with a line coming out. Tracing the line with my eyes, I see that it goes into my left hand and realize that it is an IV drip.

I’m in a… in a HOSPITAL?

What happened?

I mentally prod my brain but pull a blank. Nothing comes to mind. All I remember is I was running to the garden. I don’t even know why I was in such a hurry and the reason doesn’t seem so urgent anymore.

I try to call out for someone but my mouth doesn’t want to open. All it wants is water and some cough drops.

Now that I think about it, where is everyone? If I am in the hospital, shouldn’t mom and dad be here? Where are the doctors and nurses? Am I d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter