EIGHT

Chiaroscuro [Hiatus]

EIGHT

Jongin.

Jongin stared at the man sitting across from him. Lee Jinki. He seemed so happy and carefree, just like the sketches that Sunyoung had of him. Who was this guy to Sunyoung?

“Yah, why do you keep staring at Minho’s friend?” Taemin whispered. Jongin shook his head while taking a drink, “Nothing. He just looks familiar that’s why.”

“So,” Taemin started, breaking the silence, “how is it like working with our Minho hyung?” Jinki laughed in agreement with Taemin’s statement while Minho glared at the younger boy.

“He is quite meticulous and somewhat boring,” Jinki joked along, causing Minho to retort with a “Yah!”  Jinki and Taemin gave hearty laughs as Minho gave in, “Okay… maybe I am a little .” The three were cheerfully conversing while Jongin remained quiet in the corner, taking shots. One by one. He stopped counting at some point and didn’t even remember why he was drinking in the first place.

Jongin was just confused. And angry. And just… pissed at that Byunghun kid. And pissed at himself for liking Sunyoung. And getting pissed at this Jinki enigma who popped up out of nowhere. And then Jongin would remember the jasmine and honey scent from her hair and the way her eyes twinkle when she smiles and he would feel warm and fuzzy again. Damn. What was happening to him?

“Whoa, you should slow down your drinks there,” Jinki said to Jongin when he drank another shot. Jongin shook his head and slurred, “No, I’m fine.”

Taemin looked at Jongin strangely, “I don’t know, Jongin. I haven’t seen you drink like this in a while. Is everything okay?”

Jongin over exaggerated a nod and said, “I’m fine. No… I don’t feel fine.” He suddenly looked over at Jinki and pointed at him, “Because of you. Who the hell are you?”

Jinki blinked in confusion and let out a nervous laugh, “Jinki. I’m a friend of Minho’s.”

Jongin shook his head, “No no no. I want to know why the hell you’re in …” He was cut off by his need to throw up as he covered his mouth and crouched over the trashcan.

“Crap, we need to get him home,” Minho said, going over to help him. Jongin shoved Minho’s hand aside and struggled to get up while saying, “NO! I’m fine, I’m fine. See!” Jongin wobbled as he said, “More drinks! Drinks on me!” before falling over on Taemin who barely managed to catch him.

“Yeah, he needs to get home,” Taemin told Minho and Jinki, “But I don’t know where to take him. He never told me where the orphanage he was working at was.”

Minho sighed and shook his head at Jongin who was crouched on the couch, “Hey, where do we take you?”

“Take me? Mmmmm….” Jongin said, “Ahhhhh. I know! I can just call my goooood friend Sunyoung.”

He started dialing her number and Taemin said, “Sunyoung? Who’s Sunyoung?”

Minho shook his head in confusion while Jinki’s head jerked up.

“Yo, Sunyoung!” Jongin yelled happily into the receiver.

Jongin? Kim Jongin? Um, do you know what time it is?”

“Why? Aren’t you happy to hear my handsome voice?” Jongin asked while rolling around on the couch.

“Jongin, are you drunk?”

He laughed, “Maybe. I don’t know. Can you come get me?”

It was silent on the other end.

“Hello, Sunyoung? Friend, you there? Hello?”

Where is it? You owe me big time.”

“I knew you would come through~! Where is it? It’s um… it’s um. Taemin-ah, where is this?”

Taemin just grabbed the phone from Jongin, “Hello. This is Club Shinee. Do you know how to get here, ma’am?”

I’ll find my way. Thank you.”

Taemin shook his head as he looked at his friend crumpled on the ground laughing.

“Yah, is this that funny to you?” Taemin asked. Jongin kept giggling, “Club Shinee. What a gay name.”

Taemin shook his head, “Hyung, you should leave with Jinki hyung first. I’ll babysit this kid over here.”

Minho nodded, “Alright. We’ll see you next time.”

“It was nice meeting you, Taemin.” Jinki said as he grabbed his coat. The two older boys left and Taemin sighed, “Yah, who is this Sunyoung girl you called, huh?”

At that moment Jongin barfed all over the floor.

--

Sunyoung.

Sunyoung looked around the big night light streets until she came across the obnoxious Club Shinee sign. As Sunyoung came closer to the club, she noticed girls dressed in very sultry and revealing clothing with their arms wrapped around men who were dressed sharply in their dress suits. Sunyoung looked down at her white cardigan and jean shorts. Well, she obviously did not belong here. In fact, she felt rather plain and unattractive next to all these glamorous women. And maybe a little intimidated. At first, she was super shocked when she got the drunk phone call from Jongin. Sunyoung was shocked, appalled, confused, but most of all worried. Which was why she came out in the middle of the night to take him home. But now, she was starting to question her decision, feeling a little scared by this setting.

Sunyoung sighed and took a deep breath. Well there was no going back now. She willed everything in her to walk in when he saw Jinki and a handsome stranger walking out of the club.

She squeaked and quickly moved to hide behind a lamppost. Sunyoung peeked over to see Jinki and the friend quietly mumbling as they got into a car. Sunyoung let out a breath she didn’t even know she was holding while the car drove off. Her heartbeat slowed down and she took a deep breath to calm herself. Sunyoung didn’t think she would ever see him again. He looked… well. Sunyoung didn’t have much time to ponder on that subject any longer as she heard a commotion at the front of the club. It was Jongin slung around the shoulder of some random skinny guy.

“Jongin?” Sunyoung asked confused, as she ran up to the two friends. The drunk one lift his head up and grinned, “You really came! Park. Sun. Young.”

“Are you Sunyoung?” The skinny sober guy asked. She nodded, “Yeah. What happened to Jongin?”

The friend shook his head, “He drank too much. I’m his friend Taemin, by the way.”

Sunyoung nodded, “I’m Sunyoung. Nice to meet you.”

“They’re going to bring his car up, it should be out soon. Do you know how to drive?”

Sunyoung froze and said, “Uh, drive? I mean, I can… but Jongin has an expensive car and…”

“You’ll be fine,” Taemin said, “Ah, there it is!”

The silver Porsche was pulled up and Taemin threw Jongin in the backseat. He shut the door and handed the keys to Sunyoung, “Please take good care of him.”

He winked and walked back into the club, leaving a speechless Sunyoung.

“W-wait!” But the friend was already gone.

She looked at the car and the knocked out Jongin in the back. Sunyoung nervously got in the car and started the engine. She hoped that she would be able to get home in one piece. Sunyoung slowly drove out of the driveway and made her way onto the street. She drove all stiff and rigid, not even hearing any of the honking or other stuff going on around her. And somehow by some miracle, she made it to the orphanage in one piece.

“Oh my gosh.” Sunyoung muttered as they arrived. That was the scariest drive of her life. She looked back and saw Jongin mumbling as he tossed and turned. With a sigh she got out of the car and opened the backseat. Jongin was sprawled over the backseats, clothes disheveled and face flushed. His white button up was half undone, revealing a sliver of his chiseled tan chest. Sunyoung fought the blush that ran to her cheeks and she leaned over Jongin to wake him up.

“Yah, Kim Jongin.” She said, shaking the slumbering boy. He just groaned and turned.

“YAH! Kim Jongin!”

Jongin stirred a little bit and groaned, “Too loud.”

Sunyoung sighed. This boy would not freaking wake up. She climbed in more and roughly shook him by the shoulders, “Kim Jongin!”

Jongin grabbed her by her arm and pulled her down so that she was fully lying down on top of him, her chin nestled on the side of his neck. His hands s around her waist as he gently hugged her and mumbled, “You’re too loud, Sunyoung.”

And then she heard his soft and steady breathing. And of course her heart that was pounding erratically in her chest. Sunyoung tried to wiggle her way away from him, but his hold on her was too strong.

Sunyoung sighed. Seriously… what a freaking night. She used her elbows to lean up a little bit and look at Jongin’s face. He looked so peaceful and innocent in his sleep. Sunyoung couldn’t deny that he was handsome. No, he was gorgeous. With his lion eyes, bridged nose, and perfectly full lips. She didn’t even notice her hand that gently brushed Jongin’s hair out of his face.

He was quite an enigma. He popped up out of nowhere, made her life miserable, and then now… what where they now? Were they friends? Acquaintances?

“Sunyoung-ah,” Jongin softly whispered, eyes still closed.

“Yes?” Sunyoung answered gently. His eyes fluttered open and held his gaze with her, “Who’s Jinki?”

Sunyoung startled, suddenly hearing his name and then remembering his presence at the club.

“How do you know him?” Sunyoung asked.

“He was in your sketches. Jinki.” Jongin said, eyes still boring into hers. Sunyoung shook her head, “He’s no one important.”

Jongin sighed and released his arms from Sunyoung’s waist. He closed his eyes and said, “Why do you do this to me?”

Sunyoung looked confused, “What are you talking about?”

Jongin then suddenly sat up, making Sunyoung sit up too, straddling his lap, her face only a breath away from his. He grabbed her face and his mouth came crashing onto hers. Sunyoung’s eyes widened in shock from the force as his tongue sloppily invaded . She felt herself succumb to the electric feelings that traveled down her spine from his touch, as his lips attacked her own. Sunyoung felt his arm traveling down her back and then her eyes shot opened as she pulled away, breathless. Jongin looked at her with sad eyes as his head fell on her shoulder, nuzzling her neck.

“Is it because of Byunghun?” He mumbled. Sunyoung blinked in confusion. Confusion from his actions, her feelings, the remnant of his enticing lips on her own. And then she heard his light snoring and let out a breath. Sunyoung wiggled herself out of his grip and called Henry.

This night was never supposed to happen.

But she could still feel the tingle on her lips from his kiss.

--

Jongin.

Throb. There was this dull throb that rang in Jongin’s head when he woke up. He groaned as he sat up in confusion. His door swung opened as a cheerful Henry walked in with a “Good morning~”

Jongin groaned at the sudden loud sound and Henry just tsked at him.

“Here,” Henry said, handing the younger boy some tea, “It will help your hangover.”

Jongin gratefully took the tea and drank the bitter herb.

“Ew, what the hell is this?!” Jongin said, handing the cup back to Henry. The older man grinned, “My own herbal concoction for hangovers.”

“Gosh,” Jongin said, “That thing tastes gross. I feel gross. What happened yesterday?”

“You don’t remember anything?” Henry asked. Jongin shook his head, not being able to think with that dull ache throbbing in his head.

“I just remember going out to drink with my friend,” Jongin said, “And meeting…” An image of the good looking blond guy flashed in his head “And meeting Jinki.”

“Jinki?” Henry asked in confusion, “As in Lee Jinki?”

Jongin looked up at Henry, “Yeah! You know him?”

Henry frowned, “Unfortunately. He used to come to our orphanage often in the past.”

“What?” Jongin said, confused. Why the hell would Jinki come to this dinky orphanage? And then suddenly another image of Sunyoung talking about Jinki flashed in Jongin’s head.

“Was Sunyoung there yesterday?” Jongin asked. Henry laughed, “Wow. You really don’t remember anything. Sunyoung brought your drunk- over here and then called me to help you to bed. You were completely knocked out.”

Jongin groaned, “. How the hell did she bring me back?”

“I think you called her or something…” Henry said with a mischievous grin. Jongin groaned as he lied back on his bed. He wanted to crawl into a corner and never come out again. Okay, just kidding. But Jongin was feeling pretty embarrassed.

“Anyway,” Henry said, breaking Jongin out of his thoughts, “It’s almost time for art class. Sunyoung is already here, setting up so you ought to go meet her soon. But come eat some food first. We need that alcohol out of your system.”

Jongin sighed and nodded as he went to the bathroom to wash up. He shook his head and sighed for the umpteenth time. Seriously, why was he such a ?

“How am I supposed to face Sunyoung now?” He mumbled to himself. Jongin braced himself and popped an advil before walking into the kitchen to eat some food.

This throbbing needed to go away.

--

Sunyoung.

Sunyoung couldn't concentrate. At all. She just stared off into space as the professor lectured. Sunyoung didn’t get any sleep last night after dropping Jongin off at home. She couldn’t sleep when her mind continually thought about the kiss and how amazingly soft his lips felt on hers. And so here she was, barely keeping awake in class. She felt her eyes close and sleep was upon her and…

“Sunyoung.”

She snapped her head up and looked up at the teacher who looked disappointed and the snickers of her classmate. Sunyoung turned red as the teacher repeated, “What’s the answer to the question.”

She quietly mumbled an apology and class resumed. Today was not a good day. What was she going to say when she saw Jongin? Did the kiss even mean anything to him? Did it even mean anything to her?

But no. It can’t mean anything to her. Yes… it means nothing to her.

The bell finally rang and Sunyoung quickly got out of class before her teacher made another sarcastic remark at her. She walked out and saw Byunghun waiting for her. He smiled and waved at her. Sunyoung sighed. She so did not need this right now. But too late, he was already in front of her with that playful grin on his face.

“How was class?” He asked as they started walking toward the school exit. Sunyoung it up and smiled at him, “It was good.”

“What are you going to do now?” Byunghun asked kindly. Sunyoung sighed, “I’m going to the orphanage today.”

He nodded, “Do you want a ride?”

Sunyoung stopped walking and just stood there. Byunghun kept walking until he realized the missing body and turned back around to Sunyoung, “What’s up?”

She couldn’t do this. Sunyoung wasn’t sure if it was the agitation from class, the irritation from lack of sleep, or the jumbled feelings from yesterday’s kiss, but she just couldn’t do this.

“Hey, Byunghun,” Sunyoung started, “Listen, I…”

“Wow,” Byunghun said suddenly, looking away, “It’s such a nice day isn’t it?”

“Sure, but listen to me. I’m sorry but I…”

“Man, I really don’t want to listen right now.” He interrupted for the second time. Byunghun looked at her and forced a smile, “Next time. Can you tell me next time?”

Sunyoung shooked her head, “I can’t do that to you, Byunghun. The longer I put it off, the longer I’ll be leading you on. I’m sorry but I don’t feel the same way about you.”

Byunghun sighed as he smiled and looked away.

“You know,” he said, “I kind of expected this. But I didn’t think it would hurt this bad.”

Sunyoung’s heart sank, “I’m sorry… I really am but”

“Jongin, right?” Byunghun said as he looked her in the eyes, “You like him, right?”

Sunyoung paused and shook her head, “I don’t know. I really don’t know…”

Byunghun took a deep breath and smiled, “I think you know.”

She look at him in confusion as he continued, “You know deep inside, what the answer is.”

Sunyoung remained quiet, deep in thought. But she really didn’t know. Did she?

“Well,” Byunghun said, cutting her train of thought, “After awkwardly facing my first rejection, I will take my leave.”

“Byunghun…”

“Bye, Sunyoung! Go get him.” Byunghun winked at her and walked away.

--

Jongin.

He took a deep breath as he stood in front of the door. Thankfully his head was feeling a little better. The pho definitely helped the throbbing. Jongin peeked a little inside and saw Sunyoung moving some things around. He started practicing what he was going to say in his head.

Hey Sunyoung, what up. I heard I was -drunk yesterday.

Yo, babe. I’m sorry for drunk calling you.

Hi beautiful, will you go on a date with me even though you dragged my drunk- home?

Jongin groaned and shook his head. With another deep breath, Jongin was about to walk in when all the kids started swarming.

“Look, it’s pigeon teacher!” Baekhyun yelled as all the kids came rushing toward the door. Jongin had to move over in order to avoid being trampled by the vicious little children as they went into the classroom. Jongin awkwardly stumbled in after the kids, opting to sit in the way back. The second he looked up, he made eye contact with Sunyoung. She coughed as she looked away and smiled at the kids.

“Alright everyone, today I’m going to teach you one of my favorite concepts. It’s really hard to pronounce so I’ll break it down for you guys. It’s called chiaroscuro. Everyone try it with me. Kee-ah-ro-scu-ro.”

The children mimed back, “Kee-ah-ro-scu-ro.”

“Sunyoung teacher!” Baekhyun complained, “This is too hard to pronounce!!!”

Sunyoung laughed, “Okay, let’s just call in Chia then.”

“Chia” everyone mumbled back.

“Now,” Sunyoung continued, “This is the concept of complete opposites. Can anyone name opposite things here?”

Chanyeol raised his hand and shouted, “Cat and dog!”

“Girl and boy!” Chen shouted. Sunyoung laughed, “Perfect. Opposites. Chia is the concept of the opposites black and white. They are used together to balance out the dark and the light to create an image.”

“So it’s just a black and white picture?” Baekhyun asked, unimpressed. Sunyoung nodded, “Basically. But it’s more than that. The light is the brightest when there is darkness and the darkness is the darkest when there is light. This is used to make the picture more realistic.”

“I’m confused…” Amber said from the back. Sunyoung giggled, “Black and white used to make realistic images. So I’m gonna pass out paper for you guys to draw the most realistic drawing of an object using just black and white.”

Jongin silently got up and helped her pass out the papers. She looked up at him in shock as he took the papers from her and passed them out to the kids. The children were buzzing and humming as they drew their images and Jongin just sat in the back, watching them. He looked over at Sunyoung who was smiling while talking to little Kyungsoo.

Black and white. That’s like him and Sunyoung. Opposites. She’s the light. He’s the darkness. Who was he to dare and try to taint the white. But he couldn’t help it… that he was attracted. To the pureness? To the light? Maybe he was so dark that her light just seems to be brighter.

Jongin sighed. Is it wrong for him to want the light?

--

Sunyoung.

“Bye Sunyoung! Bye piegeon teacher!” The children yelled as they exited the classroom. Sunyoung smiled and waved back as they left.

She held her breath as she realized what was coming. It was only her and Jongin in the room and she didn’t even have to look up to know that Jongin was walking over to her. After mentally preparing herself, she looked up and froze as they made eye contact.

“Uhhh…” Jongin started, scratching the back of his head as he looked away, “I’m… sorry about yesterday…” Sunyoung felt her face flush as she recalled the events of yesterday night.

“Henry told me you had to drag me home…” Jongin mumbled. Sunyoung looked away and shook her head, “I-it’s fine.”

He walked closer to her and Sunyoung stiffened.

“So, we’re chill, right?” Jongin asked, seeming a little confused. Sunyoun blinked. Chill? After a kiss like that, they were just chill? Sunyoung was about to protest when Jongin said, “Did I… did I do something wrong yesterday?”

“Wh-what?” Sunyoung asked. Jongin uncomfortably scratched his head, “I didn’t do anything to you, right? Like make a mistake or anything?”

Sunyoung’s spine ran cold as she heard him say that. “You,” Sunyoung said, “you don’t remember anything from yesterday?”

Jongin shook his head, “I don’t remember anything. Did I do something wrong?”

Sunyoung wanted to laugh on the inside. She spent so many hours awake, thinking about the kiss and what it meant for them while this guy didn’t remember it at all. Well, he technically was drunk… but still. To forget it like that? Sunyoung sighed. Maybe it was better this way.

“Nothing happened,” Sunyoung said, “I just brought you back and called Henry oppa.”

Jongin kept looking at her with those intense eyes, “Are you sure?”

Her eyes momentarily lingered on his lips before looking away and saying, “Yup. But you still owe me. You were really heavy.”

Jongin nodded, “What a relief. Thanks, Sunyoung. I’m still really sorry about yesterday.”

Sunyoung didn’t know why but it felt like someone was stabbing her heart as she forced a smile and said, “No problem.”

“Alright,” Jongin said as he awkwardly coughed, “Well, I guess I'm off then to help Henry. I’ll see you next week!”

And with that he hurriedly walked away, leaving Sunyoung alone in the room with her thoughts. Sunyoung laughed out loud like a madwoman.

Of course it meant nothing to him. He even forgot about it for crying out loud! How unmemorable it must’ve been for him. But damn, why was it so seared into her head? Why did her lips still tingle at the thought?

Sunyoung groaned in frustration. It was better this way… he would leave soon. She would never see him again. And he would be nothing but a distant memory. That’s right.

Then why did she feel so upset?

--

A/N: Hi... *runs and hides* I'm alive. I'm sorry guys... I have lost the passion and desire to write this story. BUT I really hate leaving stories unended so I WILL finish it. I PROMISE!!! It will probably end in two more chapters? But please be patient with me... as I only have a general idea of where it will go. Plus the lack of the passion for this story. But anyway, YAY FOR THE KISS SCENE~! Hehee, i was very excited while writing that scene. I hope it made up for the long absence I took. Comment with your thoughts and any ideas you may have for the plot.