FIVE

Chiaroscuro [Hiatus]

Characters:
(As they appear in chapter)
Joonmyeon: Jongin's older brother
Donghae (27): Math teacher at the orphanage
Eunhyuk (27): English teacher at the orphanage
Yoona (26): History teacher at the orphanage
Leeteuk (28): Science teacher at the orphanage


FIVE

Jongin.
“Hello?” Jongin said as he picked up the phone. He just got out of the shower after another long day of working with the kids.
“Sup, Jongin,” Taemin said from the other line, “Finally you pick up my phone call!”
Jongin laughed as he lied down on his cozy bed, “Well, I’m telling you, this life isn’t very easy. In fact, it might be harder than working at the company. What’s up?”
“I don’t know,” Taemin said, “I just haven’t seen you in a while. All the hyungs have been asking where you’ve been too. When are you gonna come out again?”
Jongin just blinked, “I don’t know.” In fact, he wasn’t thinking about it at all. He wasn’t thinking about Taemin, or the long line of women who were dying to be with him, or even his grandpa. It was as if Jongin completely forgot about his life outside of this little orphanage. The only times he would go out was to complete errands for Victoria or if he had to drop Sunyoung off or something. It didn’t even occur to him that he was allowed to go outside and hangout with his friend.
“Hello?” Taemin said curtly from the other line, “Are you there?”
“Yeah,” Jongin replied.
“Well,” Taemin said, “I’m gonna go to the clubs with the hyungs today, if you can make it.”
“Ummm…” Jongin bit his lip, “I can’t tonight. I’m too tired and I have a long day ahead of me tomorrow.”
 “Are you serious, bro?” Taemin said, “We haven’t seen you for like two weeks.”
Jongin sighed as he ran a hand through his hair, “I really can’t tonight. Maybe another time this week?”
“Whatever,” Taemin said, “You’re buying then.”
And he hung up. Jongin groaned. Well, now his best friend was mad at him. Just great. Jongin just got up and went toward the kitchen to get a glass of water.
As he was walking, he passed by all the rooms of the kids. A girl was standing outside one of the doors, crying while staring at the closed door. She was sniffling while holding on to a teddy bear. Jongin almost thought it was a ghost for a second. Thank goodness it wasn’t raining and thundering outside. Jongin debated whether or not he should talk to the girl. Eh, whatever. He just walked past her when he heard her whine, “Unni. Open the door.”
Jongin turned back around and saw the girl looking earnestly at the door and images of his past flashed in his head.
Flashback
Seven year old Jongin held tightly onto the big telescope box as he crept across the long, empty halls of his house to get to his brother’s. He knocked on the door and said, “Hyung!” knock knock knock “Joonmyeon hyung!”
The door swung opened and a disgruntled eleven year old Joonmyeon opened door, “What?”
“The stars are really bright out tonight! I think there’s supposed to be a comet. Can we go look?” Jongin said happily. Joonmyeon frowned and said, “I can’t, Jongin. I have to study.”
Little Jongin’s smile fell as he said, “But… but, you always study.”
The older brother sighed, “Sorry, Jongin. Maybe next time.” Joonmyeon ruffled Jongin’s head and then shut the door. Little Jongin just stood in front of the closed door and felt like crying. Why didn’t his brother want to play with him?
“Hyung.” Jongin tried again, knocking on the door, “Hyung.”
Footsteps came up from the stairs and Jongin’s mom chastised, “Jongin, what are you doing? You need to be studying in your room.”
Jongin’s smile disappeared as he nodded, “Yes, mom.”

His mom took the box away and lead him back to his room. Jongin just looked back at his brother’s door and sighed.
End flashback.
Jongin sighed and walked toward the younger girl.
“Hey, you okay?” he asked. The girl turned around and Jongin realized it was Soojung from class.
“Soojung-ah, what are you doing here?” Jongin asked. Soojung sniffled, “Unni… unni won’t open the door and let me in.”
“Is this your room?” Jongin asked. Soojung shook her head no.
“You need to be back in your own room, Soojung.” Jongin said as patiently as he could. Soojung shook her head, “No, I want unni. But she just yelled at me to go away. She’s being mean.”
Jongin frowned, knowing exactly how she feels.
“Hey, wanna get ice cream?” he asked her. Soojung’s crying suddenly stopped and she looked at him with big eyes, “Ice cream?”
Cut to Soojung and Jongin sitting at the kitchen area. Soojung was happily away at a Popsicle that Jongin slipped out from the freezer and Jongin was drinking a glass of water.
“You can’t tell anyone. Especially Uncle Henry, okay?” Jongin said. Happy Soojung just nodded as she ate her Popsicle.
“You’re not that mean and scary after all, Pigeon Teacher,” Soojung said with a goofy smile on her face. Jongin laughed at how cute she was, ice cream covering half of her face.
“Call me handsome teacher!” Jongin said, “How can you say this good looking face looks like a pigeon?”
Soojung blinked and cocked her head to the side, “I guess you can be a handsome pigeon teacher. Ha-Pi for short Hapi teacher!”
Jongin sighed as the little girl just reveled at her new nickname. Well, it was better than just pigeon teacher.
“What happened with your sister?” Jongin asked, “Does she live here, too?”
Soojung frowned and nodded, “Our parents died a couple years ago, but no relatives wanted us. So Sooyeon unni and I came here. But ever since then, unni has been pushing me away and only stays with the older girls. She won’t play with anymore or let me sleep with her or anything. But I don’t know why.”
Jongin awkwardly stared at the young kid who looked like she was about to cry again.
“Soojung-ah, Please… please don’t cry. It’s okay, your sister will come around, soon.” Jongin said, trying to prevent her from spilling the waterworks. The little girl sniffled, “You think so?”
Not really, he thought in his head, but Jongin wasn’t stupid enough to say that, “She probably has her reasons why. Just wait patiently. You can do that, right?”
Soojung nodded her head. Jongin patted the girl on her head, “Good girl. Now time to go back to sleep.”
“Awww,” Soojung pouted, “Do I have to?”
“Yes, you need your beauty sleep, right?” Jongin said. Soojung inquisitively nodded, “I suppose pretty girls need their rest.”
Jongin laughed. This girl was too cute. He walked her to the room and said, “Good night, little princess.”
She giggled, “Good night Hapi teacher! Thank you!”
And with that, little Soojung went into the room. Jongin smiled as he wondered back into his room.
--

Even though Jongin had been here for a good three weeks, he never really attempted to get to know anyone at the orphanage. Why? Well, I’m sure you all know why. He just didn’t give a about anyone. The staff, the children, or whoever else goes in and out those doors. He just wanted to do his own thing and then peace out.
But strangely, Jongin found himself getting to know the people more recently.
Like Henry. Henry easily became one of the people Jongin felt most comfortable with. It really felt like Henry was his hyung. Henry would always look out for Jongin and ask him questions and just make Jongin feel important. And loved. And cherished. Emotions he hasn’t really felt in a while. Henry would often talk about his desire to become a singer one day, always belting out into a popular song right after.
Jongin also somehow started talking to Yunho more as well. He learned that Yunho actually is a doctor at a hospital, which explains how the orphanage is able to run and function (on the financially spectrum of things.) It also explained why Yunho wasn’t around for most of the days. However, on the days when Yunho is here, he would always be playing soccer with the kids. Apparently, Yunho was a HUGE soccer fanatic. Yunho would teach Jongin some moves once in a while when playing with the kids.
And Victoria. Man, Jongin never met someone so nice and caring before. Ever. Apparently, she used to be a famous-to-be ballerina in China, but then she met Yunho through a mutual friend, fell in love, and moved here. Quite an amazing story, though Jongin thought it was too fairytale like to be true. But anyway, Victoria would always be around the place to clean and to make sure everyone is doing okay. She was literally everyone’s mom here at the orphanage. Including him and Henry. Victoria was also touchy, which took Jongin by surprise the first time she patted his saying, “Good job our witto Jongin.”
There were other teachers who were also coming and going, but Jongin never cared to pay attention to them. Like the funky duo Donghae and Eunhyuk who were the math and English teachers for the younger children. And the beautiful Yoona who taught history. And the strange Leeteuk who taught science. They were always in and out while Jongin was in the kitchen, so he never officially met them. But apparently that made up the whole Sunny Ridge Orphanage Staff, as Henry chirpily put it. Of course, Henry included Sunyoung as the “bright and youthful Sunyoung” and Jongin as the “errand boy.”
All these nicknames that Jongin was getting at this place was ridiculous. But anyway, they were having a full staff appreciation dinner, apparently. Which explained why Henry was going crazy in the kitchen, trying to make some delicious food (which also meant Jongin being barked around to do the dirty work) and why Victoria was haphazardly cleaning everything in the home. Victoria in cleaning mode was scary. The children all knew to listen to cleaning Victoria, even the loudest of the bunch Bakehyun. It was quite a site that Jongin really couldn’t enjoy because he was currently chopping up onions while crying.
“Hurry up, Jongin!” Henry said, sweating up a storm, “I need them veggies now! They’re gonna be here any minute now!”
Jongin cursed under his breath while madly chopping away at the vegetables and throwing them in Henry’s stupid bin. He looked up, taking a breather and saw that the table outside was already full, with all the teachers and staff people there. Henry brought the finished food (delicious curry katsu) and plated them.
“We’re done!” Henry said with a huge smile on his face, “Good job my little servant boy!”
Jongin just laughed and shook his head as they brought the food out to join the rest.
--
Sunyoung.
Sunyoung laughed as Eunhyuk was sharing a story about how Donghae embarrassed himself by being rejected by a girl.
“And then, she just slapped him across the face and left!” Eunhyuk said, laughing his off. Yoona just shook her head, “That’s no way to ask a girl out, Donghae.”
Sunyoung just giggled as Donghae just shrugged it off coolly.
“You know what,” Donghae said, “At least I have the balls to ask a girl out. Eunhyuk here has been crushing on our next door neighbor Hyoyeon for the past 6 months and he still hasn’t been able to ask her-” Eunhyuk quickly covered Donghae’s mouth and grinned, “Not a very interesting story.”
“You should just ask her!” Victoria said, encouraging the shy English teacher.
“No!” Eunhyuk said, “it’s not like that. I just.. can’t.”
Yunho shook his head, “Donghae is right, just grow some balls. You call yourself a man?”
“Excuse me!” Eunhyuk piped up, “I’ll have you know that-”
“FOOD!” Henry yelled as he came in with Jongin trailing behind them. Everyone cheered as they set the plates down in front of everyone.
“Wow, this looks delicious!” Yoona chirped happily as everyone started eating. Sunyoung picked up her spoon and started eating as well. She noticed that Jongin sat next to her and quietly ate as the older people were talking. Leeteuk was gushing over his quickly approaching marriage.
“She seriously turned into a monster!” Leetuek complained, “I can’t even ask for a goodnight kiss without her getting angry at me.”
“You have to understand,” Victoria said, “it’s a very special day for a girl.”
Yoona furiously nodded, “She’s probably stressed from all the planning.”
“It’s MY wedding day, too!” Leeteuk said, shaking his head, “I just don’t understand girls sometimes.”
Yunho just patted the guy on the back, “It’s okay. I understand how you feel. There is no other way but to endure.”
Victoria coughed next to him, “Excuse me?”
Yunho nervously laughed, “I’m just kidding, babe. You were great. Nothing like a monster.”
“Well at least you’re marrying a pretty model,” Donghae said, “I’m sure that makes you feel better. When you wee her beautiful face.”
Leetuek smiled, “Our Sora is very pretty.”
“So, Sunyoung,” Yoona asked, changing the topic before Leeteuk continues to drag on about his girl, “How are you doing?”
Sunyoung giggled, “I’m doing fine. I love teaching art to the children! We're going on a special picnic tomorrow!”
“Oh really? That sounds so fun!” Yoona said.
“Sunyoung is really good with the kids,” Victoria said with a grin. Sunyoung just awkwardly laughed a the compliment, “I just really like them.”
“You should just sleepover here,” Victoria said, “Rather than you going back home and then coming back tomorrow.”
“Oh, I can’t” Sunyoung said, “I’m meeting up with a friend later.”
“Omo, is it with Byunghee?” Victoria asked.
Everyone looked at Sunyoung and started asking questions. “Is that a boy?” “Is he good looking?” “Is he nice to you?” “How dare you date without asking your oppa first.”
“Whoa, guys,” Sunyoung said, startled, “It’s Byunghun, Vic unni. And he’s just a friend.”
“What are you guys doing together at night?” Henry asked suspiciously.
“We’re just watching a movie!” Sunyoung said, confused at why everyone seemed to be so concerned about this.
“Just you two?!” Leeteuk asked. Sunyoung nodded.
“It’s a date!” Donghae and Eunhyuk yelled at the same time. Sunyoung scratched her head, “Um, no it’s not.”
“It sure sounds like one,” Victoria said, eyes twinkling. Sunyoung sighed. Well, she just could never win against these people.
“I met him before,” Jongin suddenly piped up. Everyone just looked toward, including Sunyoung. Oh thank goodness, hopefully he will back her up and say that they are just friends.
“What’s he like, new kid?” Donghae asked eagerly. Jongin shrugged, “Not really memorable. Except for his angsty purple hair. I’m pretty sure he likes her.”
There were flurries of reaction to this comment. “Sunyoung, you cannot date a unmemorable man.” “Are you sure you met the right one, Jongin?” “Purple hair? Who the eff has purple hair?!”
Sunyoung forced a smile and made eye contact with Jongin. She started shooting daggers at him to which Jongin just innocently smiled and shrugged. The conversation soon died down, thank goodness for Sunyoung. She absolutely hated being the center of attention, especially on the topic for boys. Until her beloved Henry oppa who just happened to say, “Hey, Sunyoung, if it doesn’t work out with Byunghoo, what about Jongin?”
Sunyoung didn’t even bother correcting Henry with Byunghun’s name. She blinked, “What about Jongin?”
He grinned, “How about Jongin as a guy? He’s good looking and smart! Look at that dazzling smile!”
The response to that was explosive. “Hey, it’s actually pretty cute!” “Aw, it’s a picture perfect couple.” “Eh, I don’t know about the new boy, yet.”
Sunyoung sighed. So much for a quiet dinner. She should have realized that there is never such a thing at this orphanage. Jongin started laughing manically next to her. She looked over and glared at him who just kept laughing. He mouthed “you and me?” and kept laughing. Sunyoung rolled her eyes and shook her head, “No, Henry oppa.”
“Aw, why not?” Yoona asked, smiling.
“Can we PLEASE change the topic please?” Sunyoung asked, starting to feel mortified.
“Okay, okay,” Victoria said laughing, “We’re only teasing you.”
“Whatever,” Sunyoung said, pouting. And the conversation moved on to the next target: Henry. Sunyoung sighed in relief.
--
Jongin.
After the very obnoxious yet entertaining dinner, Jongin and Sunyoung were put on kitchen duty while the older people got to just hang out. Which Jongin thought was unfair, but he decided to just listen to them. Especially with Yunho around. Not that Jongin was scared of him or anything.
“You didn’t make the situation any better!” Sunyoung said, shaking her head while soaping the dishes. Jongin just laughed, “Whatever, I was just telling the truth.”
Jongin thought it was hilarious. He never saw Sunyoung turn so red before in his life. The way she got flustered and speechless. It was kind of cute.
“Anyway,” Sunyoung continued, “Don’t think too much into it. I don’t like Byunghun and he doesn't like me. And I don’t like you either, okay?”
Jongin smirked, “Are you sure? People fall for this handsome face left and right.”
“Yah!” Sunyoung yelled. Jongin just laughed, “I’m just kidding. Sheesh.”
Sunyoung let out a small laugh when her phone beeped. She wiped her hands on a towel and opened it. Jongin looked over and saw her laugh as she furiously texted away. He cautiously peeked over her shoulder and said, “Who is it?”
“Oh my goodness!” Sunyoung shouted, turning around, “You scared me!”
Jongin playfully smirked, “How did I scare you? You knew I was right here.”
“Well… you didn’t have to creep up on me like that!” Sunyoung said. Jongin asked again, “Who is that?”
“It’s Byunghun.” Sunyougn replied absentmindedly as she texted him back. Jongin frowned, “Are you guys really dating or something?”
“No,” Sunyoung said, “Sheesh, friends can’t text each other?”
Jongin grabbed her phone and started reading the text messages.
“Yah!” Sunyoung said, trying to get her phone back from the thief, “What are you doing? Give me my phone back!”
Jongin easily kept her away with one arm while perusing through her phone.
BH: Be sure to bring a jacket, it’s going to be really cold.
SY: Mmkay!
BH: I’ll pick you up! What time are you done?
SY: No, it’s okay! I’ll just meet you at the movie theater.
BH: I can just pick you up.
SY: Isn’t it the opposite direction for you?
BH: Not really, it’s fine, Sunyoung. Pick you up at 8?Jongin blinked as Sunyoung finally freed herself from his grasp and pulled her phone away, “Goodness, Jongin. That was a little bit rude.”
“I’m telling you, he likes you.” Jongin said. Sunyoung blinked in confusion, “What?”
“Listen, Sunyoung,” Jongin said, putting his arm around her shoulder, “I’m a guy. I know how guys work. And this guy” he pointed to her phone, “he definitely has a thing for you.”
Sunyoung just shook her head and brushed his arm off, “You’re ridiculous. No, he doesn’t. You met him like once.”
He looked at the stupid girl in confusion. Was she blind or something? Jongin first sensed it when they met at school and that dude got all protective over Sunyoung. And now these texts… Jongin just shook his head.
“So…” Jongin said, “are you gonna go?”
“What do you mean?” Sunyoung asked.
“To the movie with him?” Jongin asked, trying his best to be nonchalant about it.
“yeah,” Sunyoung replied, “There’s nothing wrong with watching a movie with a friend.”
Jongin shook his head. This girl was dumber than he took her for. Jongin didn’t know why, but something in his just didn’t feel good about her hanging out with his Byunghun kid. Jongin just shook off that weird feeling.
“Hey” Victoria said, sticking her head in the kitchen, “If you guys are done, the kids are looking for you, Sunyoung!”
Sunyoung smiled as she walked out the kitchen and Jongin just silently followed. Because… um, well. Because he didn’t want to be left with the older people. Yeah. They walked into the playroom and Jinri ran over to Sunyoung shouting, “SunSun!”
Sunyoung smiled as she picked up the girl, “Hey, Jinri. Are you having fun?”
Little Jinri nodded as she started talking to Sunyoung about the stars that are outside. Jongin felt someone pulling at his pants. He looked down and saw Sehun there.
“Pigeon teacher! Play with me!” Sehun said with a goofy grin.
“No!” Soojung yelled, pulling on his other pant leg, “Play with me, Hapi teacher!”
“Hey, what kind of name is Hapi teacher?!” Sehun said, shouting at Soojung.
“None of your business!” Soojung barked back. Jongin just stood there and shook his head as the kids bickered back and forth, fighting over who Jongin liked better. He looked over at Sunyoung for helped who just prettily giggled. Her eyes said, “I’m sorry, good luck with them.”
He pleaded with his eyes, “Help a bro out.”
Sunyoung laughed as she walked over and said, “Sehun, Soojung, you guys are gonna rip Pigeon teacher’s pants. You guys can both play with him.”
They begrudgingly let go while Jongin twitched, “Did you just call me Pigeon teacher?”
Sunyoung’s eyes became big and tried to stifle her laugh, “oops.”
Jinri giggled in Sunyoung’s arm as she asked, “When can we look at the stars?”
Sunyoung remained silent for a bit before replying, “Mmm, I don’t know. When I can get my hands on a telescope?”
Jongin perked up. Telescope?
“I have one.” Jongin said. The two girls looked over at him, as well as the little munchkins at Jongin’s feet.
“You have a telescope?” Sunyoung asked, skeptical. Jongin nodded, “I… I actually have it in the trunk of my car.”
“You’re telling me,” Sunyoung said in disbelief, “that you just randomly have a telescope hanging around in your car?”
Jongin rolled his eyes, “Yes, how many times do I have to repeat myself?”
“Can we look at the stars?” Little Jinri asked, her eyes shining so brilliantly. An idea suddenly dinged in his head. Jongin smiled and said, “Of course! We can look at it tonight.”
Jinri’s smile got bigger and she said excitedly, “Really? Really?!”
Jongin nodded.
“Me too!” Sehun said, raising his hand. Soojung quickly put her hand up too, “Me three!”
Jongin nodded, “Okay, sure.”
“SunSun!” Jinri said, looking at the older girl, “You can stay, too, right?” Jinri turned to Jongin, “SunSun can stay with us too, right Pigeon teacher?”
Jongin nodded his head, “Yeah. She can stay the night here, too, since we have the picnic thing tomorrow.”
“Yeah!” Jinri said excitedly, “Can you do that SunSun?”
Sunyoung faltered, “Uh… I don’t think I can do tonight, Jinri. You can just do it with Jongin teacher.”
Jinri’s smile faltered, “Why not?”
Sunyoung looked uneasily at the little girl and Jongin who just shrugged at her. It was silent for a little bit and Jongin could practically hear Sunyoung making decisions in her head. He silently hoped that Sunyoung would make the right choice and stay with them. But he just remained silent until Sunyoung finally said, “Okay, Jinri. I’ll stay.”
Jinri immediately cheered up, “Yay! I’m so excited!”
She dropped down from Sunyoung’s arms and grabbed Soojung’s hand, “Let’s go get ready!”
Sehun looked over at them and sighed, “Wait for me!”
Jongin laughed as he saw the kids leaving.
“I can’t believe you have a telescope in your car,” Sunyoung said, shaking her head while dialing Byunghun’s number. Jongin grinned, “I am a man of many surprises.”
Jongin just watched as Sunyoung canceled on Byunghun and he couldn’t help but feel a little bit victorious. He knew it was completely ridiculous, but it kind of felt like Sunyoung chose him over the purple head. And that made Jongin feel real good.
--
Sunyoung.
She couldn’t believe that this was actually happening. Sunyoung felt really bad for canceling on Byunghun, but she couldn’t resist Jinri’s sad little smile. That girl had a special place in Sunyoung’s heart. And after the whole fiasco at dinner over Byunghun, Sunyoung knew she would be miserable when watching the movie with their voices playing in her head. Especially stupid Jongin’s ‘he likes you’ taunts. She shook her head. Some soft cloth suddenly got thrown on her face. Sunyoung pulled it down and looked up and saw Jongin carrying a big box and some blankets.
“Wear it,” Jongin said while focusing on the box, “It’s cold.”
Sunyoung looked down and saw that it was a big grey sweater. She warmly smiled and said, “Thanks.” She pulled the sweater over her head and snuggled in the warm jacket. It smelled nice. Like him. They were both at the roof of the house, setting up telescope and stuff. Well, more like Jongin was setting up the telescope while Sunyoung just watched, you know, as moral support.
She just stared at Jongin while he took out the pieces and started putting it together.
“Really, why do you have a telescope?” Sunyoung asked, “Is it like a hobby or something?”
Jongin shrugged, “I guess you can say that.”
Sunyoung laughed at the little childish stickers that covered the telescope. There were power rangers and dinosaur stickers covering portions of the scope here and there.
“I see you like power rangers and dinosaurs,” Sunyoung said giggling.
“Back when I was like six,” Jongin said, defending himself, “Not anymore!”
“Did you have it since you were young?” Sunyoung asked as she walked up next to Jongin who was still on his knees, assembling the telescope. He nodded, “Yup, since I was like 3. It was my hyung’s, but he gave it to me.”
“You have a hyung?” Sunyoung asked curiously. She never knew this fact. Jongin froze for a second before he continued, “Not anymore.”
She blinked. Did his brother die? Sunyoung bit her lip, “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to…”
“It’s fine,” Jongin said, “It’s the past.” He got up and said, “Well, it’s fini-”
They both froze. When Jongin got up, he didn’t realize that Sunyoung was standing so close behind him. And so they awkwardly stared at each other, faces extremely close together. Sunyoung felt her heart starting to beat a little faster and her face flush. She quickly backed up and coughed, “Sorry. Um. Where should I set up the blankets?”
Jongin broke out of his thoughts and said, “Oh, um. Just here is fine.”
Sunyoung laid out the blankets on the ground for them to sit on.
“Sorry you can’t go out with Byunghun.” Jongin suddenly said.
“Huh?” Sunyoung responded, “Oh, Um, it’s fine. I can hang out with him next time.”
Jongin just nodded and said, “Well, I guess we can get the kids now.”
“I can go!” Sunyoung said as she quickly walked towards the stairs to go down. That was strangely awkward. Almost an uncomfortable awkward. She shook her head as she went down to Jinri and Soojung’s room.
“Are you guys ready?” Sunyoung asked as she peeked in the room. The girls squealed as they ran out, covered in their princess (Soojung) and tinkerbell (Jinri) blankets. Sehun came out after with a Minnie mouse blanket, face looking sour.
“What happened to your blanket, Sehun?” Sunyoung asked. Sehun sighed and said, “They spilt water on it so I have to use Soojung’s spare one.”
Soojung and Jinri giggled while Sunyoung smiled and patted his head, “It’s okay, Sehun, you still look very manly! You guys go up first. I’m going to go get some snacks!”
The trio nodded as they quickly headed up to the roof. Sunyoung smiled as she went into the kitchen and took out some of the fruit to cut. She hummed while quickly cutting the different fruits and putting in on a plate.
“You’re still here?” Henry asked as he walked into the kitchen, “And you’re stealing my food.”
Sunyoung giggled, “Hi Henry oppa. Yeah, I ended up staying and the fruits are for the kids. Hehe.”
Henry smiled and shook his head, “What about that Byungho kid?”
Sunyoung laughed. No one was ever going to get Byunghun’s name right here. “I called him and we decided to watch the movie next time.”
Henry had a playful smirk with a glint in his eye, “But why?”
Sunyoung set the knife down and said, “Well, Jinri asked me to star gaze with her today.”
“Hmmm,” Henry said, “Interesting. Is that the only reason why?”
Sunyoung blinked, “Yes?”
Henry was going all police investigator on her, “Are you sure that’s it? Is that Jongin’s sweater you’re wearing?”
Sunyoung started to feel nervous for some strange reason, “Um… yeah. It’s cold so he gave it to me. Oppa, you’re acting a little weird…”
He just smiled innocently at her, “Okay, then, If you say so! Bye Sunyoung, have fun on your stargazing date!”
Henry left Sunyoung alone and confused in the kitchen. It looks like Henry will constantly be pushing her and Jongin together. She just shook her head and took the platter of fruit up to the roof.
--
Jongin.
“WOW!” Jinri exclaimed as she looked through the telescope, “You can see all the stars so clearly!”
“When is it gonna be my turn?” Sehun asked, complaining.
“Um, I’m before you.” Soojung said. Oh no, Jongin though, here they go again.
“Sehun, be a gentlemen. Ladies first, right?” Jongin said. Soojung smiled in victory while Sehun just sat back down and mumbled, “Whatever.”
Sunyoung smiled and said, “Just eat some fruit, Sehun.”
He gladly listened and plopped the strawberry in his mouth. Jinri sat down next to him and gushed, “The stars are so pretty, Sehun!”
The little boy turned a little red and just turned away to stuff more strawberries in his mouth.
“Hapi teacher, I don’t see anything.” Sojung complained. Jongin laughed, “you’re supposed to look through here, Soojung.”
She sheepishly smiled and looked through the lenses. “Wow, there are so many stars! They’re huge!”
“SunSun!” Sehun said, “I’m gonna go to those places one day!”
Sunyoung grinned at him, “I’m sure you are. You’ll travel to find all those different planets!”
Soojung plopped down next to Sunyoung and said to the little boy, “It's your turn now.”
Sehun excitedly scrambled up to go to Jongin and looked through the telescope.
“Jongin teacher! I can see them up so close! Wow, the moon looks SO BIG!” Sehun exclaimed. Jongin nodded, “Let me try to get it closer.”
He took the scope for a second to focus the lens in closer to the moon. Jongin motioned for Sehun to look and he gushed, “It got even bigger!”
“Wait I wanna see too!” Jinri said as she ran up to the telescope. She touched Sehun on the shoulder, “Can I see?”
The little boy jumped and backed away, “Y-yeah. Look.” And he quickly sat back down and ate fruit. Jongin laughed. Someone had a little crush.  Jongin looked over and saw Sunyoung laughing with Sehun and Soojung. There was this tingling warm sensation that overcame his whole body at that scene.
“Pigeon teacher, can you find a planet?” Sulli asked, eyes shining brightly.
“I can try,” Jongin replied as he took it and scoped for a planet. After a while Jongin sighed, “Sorry, Jinri. It looks like they’re not in alignment right now for us to see.”
Jinri nodded, “It’s okay.”
“But, hey, do you know about constellations?” Jongin asked Jinri. She shook her head, “I know about them but I never found any.”
Jongin smiled as he ushered Jinri to sit back down on the blanket.
“Alright, we’re all gonna search for the simplest constellation. The small dipper, okay?” Jongin said to everyone sitting on the blanket. They all looked up at Jongin and nodded. He pointed upward and said, “Those four bright stars, make the scooper of the dipper. See, that rectangle?”
“I see it!” Jinri said excitedly. Soojung frowned, “I don’t see it.”
“Look for the bright stars, Soojung. Those four make a rectangle!” Jongin encouraged.
“I see it!” Sehun said coolly.
“Now,” Jongin continued. The three stars making a line from it makes the small dipper. It’s the handle part. Do you guys see it?”
“Oh, I see it!” Soojung exclaimed excitedly.
“Me too!” Jinri said, “They shine so brightly.”
“I can see it!” Sehun proudly exclaimed.
Sunyoung remained silent. Jongin looked over and saw her concentrate at the sky. He smirked, “Are you having trouble there, miss?”
“N-no,” Sunyoung said, fluttering her eyes. He gave her a knowing look and she made a face, “Yes.”
“Look,” Jongin said as he brought his face closer to hers and pointed his finger upward. He felt her freeze a little bit at the close proximity but Jongin ignored it and pointed to trace the shape of the dipper in front of her eyes.
“OH, I see it now!” Sunyoung exclaimed with a grin. Jongin didn’t expect her to turn her face towards him, so when she did, Jongin wasn’t prepared to see her face so up close for the second time today. Her face was flushed pink from the cold air and her warm eyes were blinking at him in surprise. Jongin felt his chest constrict. It was only for a fraction of a second that thankfully Jinri broke them out of.
“Can we find more, pigeon teacher?”
“Yes,” Jongin said, getting up and going over to Jinri’s side.
He better be more careful.
--
Sunyoung.
Sunyoung took the children back to their rooms after they searched for three more constellations in the sky. They wanted to stay longer, but Victoria scolded them to sleep. So they begrudgingly went back down to sleep.
After tucking them in, Sunyoung came back up to the roof to help Jongin clean up. She was surprised to see that everything was exactly the same and Jongin was looking through the telescope.
“Aren’t you going to sleep?” Sunyoung asked him. Jongin looked back at her and said, “In a bit. I haven’t looked at the stars in a while.”
Sunyoung slowly walked over to him, who was so absorbed into the stars. It was kind of cute actually, kind of like he was an enamored kid.
“You really like this stuff, don’t you?” Sunyoung asked with a small smile. Jongin turned to face Sunyoung and shrugged, “I used to like it a lot. I haven’t spent time doing this in ages though. It’s kind of nice.”
Sunyoung just nodded and said, “Well, we really should go in. Tomorrow is a long day with the kids.”
“Okay,” Jongin replied, still looking through the scope.
“Hey,” he said, “You didn’t get to look through the telescope, huh?”
“It’s okay,” Sunyoung said, “As long as the kids got to see it.”
“Come look now,” Jongin said, motioning her over. He place her in front of the telescope lens and said, “There, do you see it?”
“Oh, it’s so bright!” Sunyoung said. Jongin smiled, “It’s the Polaris. It’s one of the brightest stars that shine. It’s supposed to be 430 light years away. But still it shines so strongly here on earth.”
“Wow,” Sunyoung said, “That’s pretty amazing. Even the fact that you know that.”
She pulled away and smiled at him, “Thanks for doing this today. I know that Jinri loved it and so did Sehun and Soojung.”
Jongin smiled back, “It’s nothing. I forgot how much I enjoyed this.”
Just then a shooting star sped by in the horizon.
“Oh my gosh!” Sunyoung exclaimed, “Did you see that?!”
She quickly put her hands together and tightly closed her eyes. Jongin laughed, “What are you doing?”
“Making a wish!” Sunyoung replied, “You didn’t make one?”
He just kept laughing, “Come on, Sunyoung, we all know that’s not true.”
“Well,” Sunyoung said, “You’re gonna regret not making one. You should do it now.”
“Why?” Jongin said, “What did you wish for?”
“Secret,” Sunyoung replied.
“Hey,” Jongin retorted, “Secrets don’t make friends!”
Sunyoung got up and walked over to the stairs, “Good night, pigeon!”


A/N: Hello errbody! Hope you guys liked this chapter and the extra characters I added. Hehe. And relationships develop and Jongin has become a decent person who can be with children now. YAY! Ahaha, anyway please leave a comment. concern. question. anything! ^___^ And also, who is excited for F(x) comeback!?!?! This picture is my favorite from the ones that have been revealed so far. SHE LOOKS SO PRETTY! WOW! Anyway, see ya'll soon ;)