THREE

Chiaroscuro [Hiatus]

Characters: 
(As they appear in chapter)
Jieun (22): [IU] Sunyoung's art school friend
Chunji (22): Sunyoung's art school friend
Jongdae (8), Kyungsoo (7), Zitao (7): orphans at the Sunny Ridges Orphanage


THREE

Jongin.
Jongin stirred as the sunlight filtered into the room and shined brightly on his face. What time was it? He groaned as he flipped around on the bed and felt a body next to him. Wait a second. Jongin looked around. This wasn’t his room either.
Jongin suddenly shot up and looked at the time. 10:30 AM. Oh, . Jongin groaned as he got up to put his clothes on.
Yesterday, after depositing Sunyoung at the bus stop, Jongin went over to the bar with Taemin and he had one too many drinks. One of Naeun’s friends Bomi happened to be there and one thing lead to another. In Jongin’s defense, he was drunk and he hadn’t been laid in a while. He was a man with needs, come on, it was inevitable. Jongin grabbed his keys and jacket and quietly left the still sleeping Bomi.
Taemin was probably gonna be pissed at him because he messed around with Naeun’s friend. But that was the least of his worries. Jongin gulped as he saw the 40+ missed calls from Victoria and 50+ texts from Henry inquiring his whereabouts. Jongin sighed as he got in his car and sped toward the orphanage. He was so screwed. He finally arrived at the place and grimaced. 11:45 AM. Oh my goodness. What was he gonna tell them? What if they told his grandpa? Jongin sighed as he braced himself for the worst and walked in. The first person he saw was Victoria, putting some decorations on the wall. She looked over at him and Jongin awkwardly started saying, “Uhhh… I…”
Victoria rushed over to him and said, “Are you okay? What happened? We thought something happened to you! You were out for so long so we called Sunyoung but she said she got home a long time ago. Is everything okay?”
She started touching his face and looking around for signs of physical injuries. Jongin didn’t know how to respond to the attention so he awkwardly said, “Uh, I’m fine. Sorry, I just went to my friend’s house and then completely knocked out.”
Victoria sighed in relief, “I’m so glad you are okay. You had us worried sick and-”
“Jongin~” Henry sang as he came over to hug the boy. Jongin grimaced as Henry latched on to him, “Thank goodness you’re okay!”
Jongin blinked, not really understanding what was happening. A) why were they worried about him and B) why weren’t they mad at him?
 “Did you eat lunch?” Henry asked as he pulled away. Jongin shook his head no. Henry excitedly pulled Jongin to feed him while chattering about how
dangerous it was for pretty boys to be outside alone at night. Henry just kept talking to Jongin while he ate the soup. The only thing that crossed
Jongin’s mind was the hell they even care about him.

--
Sunyoung.
The bell finally rang to signify the end of lecture. Sunyoung woke up from her sleep and lazily walked out of class. She loved art and everything, but sometimes these classes were just too dry. Imagine taking a class solely on memorizing paintings and their names and the histories behind them.
“Someone obviously fell asleep during class.”
Sunyoung turned next to her and saw a familiar smile at her. She just laughed, “Hi, Byunghun. I guess I got caught.”
“Caught doing what?” another voice chimed in. Sunyoung looked over and saw her friends Jieun and Chunji walking with them.
“She probably fell asleep in class again,” Jieun mumbled, earning a playful glare at Sunyoung.
“Dude, I’m so hungry!” Chunji said, “Let’s go eat some rice cakes or something.”
“You always want to eat, you fatty!” Jieun said, lightly punching his stomach.
“Hey!” Chunji said defensively, “Food is meant to be eaten. Food belongs in here.” To emphasize his point, Chunji pointed at his stomach. Sunyoung laughed as Jieun and Chunji kept bickering. She was so thankful for the friends she met at art school.
Sunyoung and her family moved near the city just so she could attend this prestigious art school. Thus, she didn’t know a single soul here. Sunyoung is a pretty friendly girl so she wasn’t like super scared to mingle and stuff. But once school actually started, it was a bit intimidating. Everyone seemed to know each other somehow. Thankfully, Sunyoung met Jieun as they had the same sketch class together and they just clicked. They met Chunji and Byunghun a couple months later in a computer graphics class. Ever since then, the four of them always hung out together. Byunghun and Chunji were both majoring in computer graphics while Jieun was majoring in interior design and Sunyoung was focusing on oil-based paintings. It was so interesting to Sunyoung that such random group of people became really good friends.
“Hello! SUNYOUNG!??!”
Sunyoung shook her head as Byunghun’s hand waved in front of her face.
“I asked if you were down to go eat pizza!” Byunghun repeated himself. Sunyoung shook her head, “Sorry guys, it’s a Thursday. I have my volunteering, remember?”
Chunji nodded, “Yeah, yeah. You always go there instead of hanging out with us.”
Sunyoung smiled, “No, I don’t. I’m down to eat tomorrow!”
“Whatever,” Jieun said, “Just go punch the douchebag.”
Byunghun and Chunji looked at Jieun with a brow raised, “Douchebag?”
Jieun rolled her eyes, “Apparently some stuck up princess of a boy came recently to the orphanage. But he’s like a real .”
“Jieun,” Sunyoung said reprimanding, “Language. And he’s not that bad.”
“He dropped you off in the middle of nowhere at night!” Jieun said incredulously, “He picks on you and calls you mean things like hag! What do you mean he’s not that bad?!” The boys looked over at Sunyoung in shock, “What?!”
“Oh my goodness, you are totally overdramatizing everything,” Sunyoung replied, “He dropped me off at a bus stop. And he just… has a hard time expressing himself with words.”
“Wait, who is this guy?” Byunghun asked with a frown, “We should interrogate him to make sure he’s not gonna do anything weird to you.”
Sunyoung laughed, “No it’s fine!”
Byunghun’s frown didn’t disappear, “Just let me know if he bugs you and I’ll beat him up for you.”
“Thanks, Byunghun!” Sunyoung laughed, “But really, guys, I’ll be fine. I’m gonna go now. See you guys later!”
Byunghun, Jieun, and Chunji just waved back as Sunyoung left to get to the orphanage.
--
Jongin.
The dishes were sparkly clean, the kitchen was polished, and even the tables were spotless. Jongin looked at his hard work and gleamed. And he still had 20 minutes to spare before art class ensued once more. Strangely enough, Jongin actually found himself looking forward to these art classes. He wasn’t sure why though.
So these past couple days, his plan to corrupt Sehun was majorly failing. The boy didn’t care about Jongin at all and would give the shortest and curt answers. Jongin started to wonder if he should move on to another kid. Baekhyun had high potential, but he liked Sunyoung way too much, that teacher’s pet.
Though his corruption plan was failing, Jongin was pretty sure he was successful in annoying Sunyoung. It started off with rude comments about her appearance and then her teaching style and little things like that. Sunyoung would brush everything off with a smile, but he could tell that it was starting to affect her. There was a greater strain with every smile. And thus, Jongin found himself looking forward to the next class so he can utilize another new insult or prank to pull on the girl.
“Hello Jongin!” she greeted him with a smile. Jongin gave her a smirk, “Ah, lovely day, isn’t it?”
“Sure,” Sunyoung nodded, “Shall we go in the classroom?”
The classroom was extra noisy today. The loud trio (as Jongin came to call them) Jongdae, Chanyeol, and Baekhyun, were obnoxiously throwing around a ball while the mischievous Amber was pulling a prank on Kyungsoo who was quietly reading a book. Jinri and Soojung were giggling in their corner while Zitao and Sehun were sleeping in the other corner.
“Hello guys!” Sunyoung said a little louder and chirpier than usual. The kids immediately returned to their seats and happily responded, “Hello Sunyoung teacher!”
Even still, Jongin was still amazed at how well behaved the kids were around Sunyoung. It’s like she cast some spell on them or something.
“How are you guys doing today?” she asked cheerfully.
“GOOD!” they replied. Baekhyun excitedly raised his hand and said, “I ate two whole bowls of pho by myself today!”
“Wow!” Sunyoung mused, “You’re growing up to be a big boy!”
Chanyeol, not wanting to be out beaten, said, “I ate two whole bowls too!”
“You’re a big boy too, Chanyeol!” Sunyoung said, “Anyway, let’s get started on the art. Who remembers what we did last week?”
The loud trio’s hands shot up in the air. Sunyoung laughed and called on Jongdae who eagerly answered, “We drew what we wanted to do when we grow up!”
“Yes!” Sunyougn said, “excellent memory, Jongdae! We drew what we wanted to do whenvwe grow up right? And we drew it using chalk and pencil. Well today is a similar project. It’s a painting of yourself 15 years from now. We’re gonna use the pallet and mix colors to paint a picture! Don’t be scared to let your imagination loose and your dreams reign freely, okay?”
“We get to use paint?” Jinri asked shyly with sparkling eyes. Sunyoung nodded, “Yes! Jongin, can you help me pass out the paints to the tables.”
Jongin begrudgingly listened as the kids started eagerly painting. Jongin decided to try corrupting the emo kid for the last time. So he sat next to Sehun and said, “So… what you drawing there Sehun, buddy?”
Sehun was silent for a little bit before he replied, “A rocket.”
Jongin just nodded as he said, “Why are you drawing a rocket?”
The little boy was silent as he painted his picture. Jongin would’ve thought Sehun was ignoring him, but the boy suddenly said, “I want to go to the moon.”
Jongin couldn’t help but a scoff a little as he said almost mockingly, “You want to go to the moon?”
Little Sehun just nodded his head, “I’ll be an astronaut.”
Jongin shook his head, “Do you know how ridiculous that is?”
Sehun stopped painting and for once looked up and made eye contact with Jongin. The little boy had deep, empty eyes, kind of mirroring his own.
“Why?” Sehun asked.
“First of all,” Jongin started, “Do you know how hard it is to even be an astronaut? They’re not really sent out into space anymore and use robots and stuff instead. You have to study your off. Not just study a lot, but ONLY study to get the best grades to get into college and to possibly have a chance at NASA. And even IF you do become an astronaut, the chances of you flying successfully to something as large as the moon is very very slim. Do you really think that flying to the moon is a good thing for you to draw? Isn’t that too far of a stretch.”
Sehun’s brows furrowed as his eyes became misty. He glared at Jongin and said, “No. Sunyoung said that-”
“Well, don’t believe what she says,” Jongin replied, “I don’t want you to end up hoping and dreaming and then end up sorely disappointed in life.”
Sehun’s glare remained on his face as he said, “Liar.”
Jongin shook his head, “I don’t lie.” He pointed at Sunyoung who was talking to Soojung. “She lies.”
As if on cue, Sunyoung looked up and saw Sehun in a tense situation with Jongin. She started walking over to them as Sehun glared at Jongin, “No. You’re the liar!”
“Sehun, what’s going on?” Sunyoung asked with concern. She looked over at Jongin who just nonchalantly shrugged.
“He said that I can’t go to the moon. That it’s a stupid dream to have!” Sehun said, tears almost spilling, “Is that true, Sunyoung? Were you lying to us? I can’t go to the moon?”
Sunyoung’s face softened as she said, “No, Sehun. You can do anything if you put your mind to it.”
“That’s not what this guy said.” Sehun said, quivering to keep himself from crying. Sunyoung looked over to glare at Jongin who just looked around, pretending like none of it was his business.
“Sehun-ah,” Sunyoung said soothingly, “You are completely able, okay? Are you listening to me?”
Sehun nodded as he Sunyoung patted him on the back, “You are able to do anything and everything you want. Don’t easily give up because someone discourages you, okay?”
Sehun stiffly nodded. Sunyoung looked over at Jongin and said very curtly, “A word outside please.”
The kids were all just staring at the two interact. Sunyoung left the room and Jongin begrudgingly followed suit. Well, looks like he finally aggravated the girl enough. She had her back turned him, facing the wall, as Jongin approached her. Sunyoung abruptly turned around and said in a tired tone, “Was that really necessary?”
Anger, Jongin can handle. Yelling, Jongin loves that stuff. Even punches and kicks from a girl, Jongin can handle that. What he did not expect was to come face-to-face with her crying face. Jongin blinked, taken aback by the tears that fell down her cheeks.
She sighed as she wiped the tears away and brushed her hand through her hair.
“Look, Jongin,” Sunyoung said softly, “I know you don’t like me. I’m not sure why, but I am certain that you aren’t very fond of me. And I’m really okay with that. I don’t mind you making fun of me, ignoring me, yelling at me, whatever. I can handle that. But like I already told you, they’re just kids. Little kids, hoping for a future. Dreaming about the things they can achieve and become.”
Jongin started feeling a little bad about himself. This wasn’t exactly the response he was looking for per say. But Jongin felt the need to defend himself so he retorted, “It’s better they be disappointed now than devastated in the future when they realize they dreamed too big for them to achieve anything.”
Sunyoung glared at him, tears collecting again, and said, “They are already disappointed with the world. Jongin, they don’t have a family. They’re orphans. At this young age when they should be so full of life and love and energy, they already lost hope in people. What they need is encouragement to keep living and to keep dreaming and to find a purpose in their lives, not people telling them that they can’t achieve their dreams. Why can’t you see that?”
Jongin didn’t say anything back. Well, damn, now he felt like a big jerk. Sunyoung sighed exasperatedly and said, “Forget it. Just… maybe you should go back for today.” And with that Sunyoung walked back into the classroom, leaving Jongin standing outside. Alone.
And he felt like .
--
“You look extra down today,” Yunho said to Jongin as the staff members ate their dinner together at one of the table.
“Did something happen?” Victoria asked, concerned. Jongin shook his head, “No, everything’s fine.”
Sike. Everything was not fine. The only thing consuming his head was the image of Sunyoung crying and a constant debate questioning if what he did really was wrong. After their dinner, Yunho and Victoria went out on a love-dovey date, leaving Henry and Jongin in charge at the orphanage. The children were scrambling around, playing, while Henry and Jongin were cleaning up the kitchen area.
“Yo, Henry,” Jongin started, “Why are you here at the orphanage?”
Henry blinked and smiled, “Are you asking questions about me? Wow, Jongin, you care about me!!”
Jongin grimaced and said, “Jumping ahead there. But I’m just curious.”
Henry shrugged, “My parents died when I was young, so I didn’t really know what was going on. I got adopted by Yunho’s family and they treated me very well. Yunho especially. He’s truly like a blood older brother for me. And so, I want to be around these little kiddos and show them… well, they’ll be just fine.”
Jongin nodded and mumbled to himself, “I guess it was my bad then.”
“Sorry did you mumble something?” Henry asked. Jongin scratched his head, “Well, I may have made a mistake and I may have made Sunyoung cry…”
Henry’s friendly face suddenly turned deathly as he said, “You WHAT?”
Jongin put his hands up defensively, “I mean… I didn’t mean to. I was just trying to tell Sehun the cold harsh reality of life. It aint easy.”
Henry’s face softened as he let out a sigh, “Harsh cold reality isn’t what these kids need.”
Jongin ran his hand through his hair as he was fighting the conflicting feelings inside himself. Why was he becoming a softy? Who cares about the little orphan kids, the staff people here, and definitely the way too emotional Sunyoung?
“You should apologize.” Henry’s voice brought Jongin out of his thoughts.
“What?”
Henry smiled, “You should apologize to Sehun. And Sunyoung, of course.”
Jongin twitched at the thought, “Henry, us Kims don’t apologize. It’s not in my blood.”
“Well,” Henry said, “You can try now.”
Jongin grumbled and groaned and kicked a random chair sitting around.
“Whoa, please, Jongin,” Henry said, “Not the chairs.”
“Sorry,” Jongin mumbled. He saw from the distance Sehun building something with legos alone in the corner. Damn. He can’t do it. Frustrated, Jongin just got up and said, “I gotta go get some fresh air.”


A/N: Hi guys! Hope you enjoyed this chapter. We are finally making some progress in Jongin's character development. LOL. It's a slow and painful process for our main hero. Anyway, hope ya'll drop by and leave a comment about what you like and don't like. And don't ya'll worry, Ljoe will be integrated more into the story as the plot thickens! WHOO! With that, I AM DONE WITH FINALS!!! WAHOO! Until summer school starts... but anyway. Please please please, let me know what you guys think and drop by and say Hi. Thanks! ^___^