ONE

Chiaroscuro [Hiatus]

Characters: 
(As they appear in chapter)
Kim Jongin (22): Heir to Kai Corporations
Lee Taemin (22): Jongin's friend
Song Naeun (21): Taemin's girlfriend
Suzy (21): A model, one of Jongin's many "ladies"
(Jung) Victoria (27): Co-founder of a small orphanage Sunny Ridges, married to Yunho
Jung Yunho (28): Co-founder of a small orphanage Sunny Ridges, married to Victoria
Liu Henry (24): Cook at Sunny Ridges

Park Sunyoung (22): Senior standing art student
Baekhyun (8), Chanyeol (8), Amber (8), Krystal (6), Jinri (6): orphans at the Sunny Ridges orphanage


ONE

Jongin.
Jongin brushed off the settling dust on his suit as he waited nonchalantly on the sofa of his grandfather’s office. He checked his gold cartier watch. Well, that old man was sure making him wait for a long time. Jongin impatiently tapped his fingers across of the arm of the sofa. Maybe the old fart was finally going to retire and give him their corporation. Jongin has been waiting his whole life to finally become the CEO of Kai Corporations, managing malls, hotels, and resorts. He would finally be at the top.
The door suddenly opened and an old man walked in and sat down on the chair across from Jongin.
“Grandpa,” he said, “If you’re gonna call me over, at least be here. You’re making me waste my precious time.”
His grandpa just ignored him as he took a deep breath and looked at his grandson, “Jongin-ah. I have something important to say to you.”
“What is it?” Jongin asked, secretly excited on the inside to finally be receiving the company and being able to do whatever he wanted with it.
“I have thought gravely for a long time and I have come to a decision to… not give Kai corps, yet.” His grandpa said.
“Are you serious?” Jongin said with a scoff, raging in disbelief, “You have got to be kidding me.”
“I’m being very serious, Jongin,” the old man replied back. Jongin laughed manically and then made a straight face, “I did everything you told me to do. You made me study abroad at Harvard to get my BA in business and I worked my off to graduate honors and within three years. And then you made me work at the dying and smallest branch right now and you what? You’re not going to bequeath this company to me?”
Jongin’s grandpa sighed, “Jongin-ah, you’re extremely bright. In fact, you definitely have our business running genes. Yes, that I am completely sure of. But you have no character. Looks at this.”
His grandpa threw a stack of newspapers on the table. Jongin looked and saw it was an article about him and one of the model girls he picked up, and then some other chic and etc. He shrugged, “So I’m popular with the ladies. That’s why you’re not giving me this company?”
“Do you know how bad this makes our company look, especially to our international relations? You’re defaming our company’s image of loyalty and faithfulness.”
Jongin groaned as he put his hands up, “Okay, I’m sorry that girls want me and so I hook up with them. I’ll hide them as much as possible. You happy now, old fart?”
“It’s much more than just these girls, Jongin. I’ve focused so much on making you the perfect heir that I forgot to make you into a good human being.” His grandpa said solemnly. Jongin started getting even angrier, “What the . How do you know what kind of human being I am? Do you even know me, huh? What right do you have to say that to me? , dude. What is it that you want, old man? What the do I have to do now, huh?”
His grandpa grimaced, “Watch your language, Jongin. And show some respect.”
“Respect?” Jongin yelled, “Oh yeah. I’m definitely gonna have respect for you when you lecture me on this crap. Very hypocritical of you, grandpa. ”
“I never said I wouldn’t give you the company,” his grandpa said. Jongin calmed down for a second. His grandpa continued, “I’m just not giving it to you yet. I signed you up for three months of community service.”
Jongin groaned, “What the hell, grandpa.”
“Listen!” his grandpa said curtly, “It’s at my god-daughter’s orphanage Sunny Ridges. You’ll be living there and helping Victoria.”
Jongin stood up, “Screw that. that. I don’t want this stupid company.
And with that Jongin stormed out of the room.
--
Who the did his grandpa think he is? Jongin fumed as he parked his sleek BMW in front of the store and threw his keys at the valet guy. He walked up the club to the VIP section and sat down where his friend was.
“What took you so long?” Taemin asked, drinking the whisky in his hand while his arm was around his girlfriend Naeun. Jongin grabbed the bottled from his friend and took a big swig.
“Don’t even ask. My grandpa is getting too old.” Jongin said.
“Oppa~” some bar girl whined as she latched on to his arm, “I hope you’re not too stressed.”
Jongin gave her his sweet playboy smiled and said, “Oppa is fine. Why don’t you be a little darling and go get me more drinks?”
The girl nodded as she ran out to listen to him.
“So what you gonna do about the old man?” Taemin asked, eating the cherries Naeun was feeding him. Jongin shrugged as he drank the alcohol, “I don’t care right now. I’m not his stupid puppet he can control.”
“Bro, you need to calm down,” Taemin said, “Just drink up and enjoy life. Maybe grab a chic or two. I’m sure he’s just bluffing.”
Jongin shook his head as he downed his second bottle, “Whatever. I’m over it.”
--
“What?” Jongin twitched as he stared down the scared cashier lady.
“I…” the woman said, shaking, “I said your card was declined.”
Jongin laughed manically and smiled menacingly at the cashier, “My card was what?”
The woman gulped as Jongin started stomping on the ground and kicked some nearby box.
“Jagiyah” Suzy, who was standing next to him whispered, trying to calm him down by grabbing his shoulder. Jongin shoved her hand away and took a deep breath before saying, “I’m sorry babe. It looks like you might have to buy the dinner.”
The model just nodded as she quickly paid for the meal. Meal paid for, Jongin stormed out of the restaurant, leaving behind the poor girl.  He furiously drove to his house and stomped into his grandpa’s room. The old man was sitting peacefully, reading the newspaper.
“Is this a joke?” Jongin shouted. His grandpa just kept reading his newspaper, not making eye contact with his grandson, “What do you mean?”
“The , dude. You blocked all my credit cards.” Jongin said. His grandpa finally set the newspaper down and set down his glasses.
“Yes, I decided to cut off all your cards until you complete my demand of community service.”
Jongin laughed, “Grandpa, you can’t do that to me. I work. I make my own money. This isn’t gonna make me do what you want.”
“Well then,” his grandpa said, “You’re fired.”
Jongin laughed before he stared at his grandpa, “I’m what?”
“Fired,” his grandpa said, “either that or you take a temporary three month leave to do community service.”
Jongin let out a deep breath, trying to calm himself down.
“You can’t just fire me like that.”
“yes I can.” His grandpa said, “So are you going to take the deal or what?”
“The company won’t survive without me,” Jongin said angrily. His grandpa chuckled, “You’re so young, Jongin. Do you really think you’re that significant in this world right now? You think you’re so important to the company that we won’t survive without you? No, Jongin. I want you to clearly see what a privilege it is to be a part of this family and to be in the position you are in.”
“I have a mothering degree,” Jongin muttered, “I can find myself any other job. They would be dying to have me.”
His grandpa shook his head, “Already told no one to accept you. You can try, but don’t get too discouraged”
Jongin fumed and let out a frustrated scream before tightening his lips and forcing out the words, “You’re always like this, old man. Always manipulating my life. Well fine. , I’ll follow your plans once again. Are you happy now?”  
His grandpa let out a small smile and said, “I knew you’d come around.”
Jongin sighed as his grandpa handed him a manila envelope.
“This has all the information of the community service inside. Just follow the directions. Also, a debit card is in there. I will only put in an exact amount every week in which you will barely be able to survive. So don’t try anything stupid.”
Jongin just walked out the door with the folder and slammed the door to his room.
--
Jongin frowned as he pulled up to a quaint looking building in the middle of nowhere. He didn’t even know a place like this existed in Seoul. Dirt roads were so not good for his car. Jongin sighed, as he grabbed his duffle bag and swung it over his shoulder. He stuffed the other hand in his brand name sweats and put his expensive aviator shades on. He walked in through the front door and saw kids running around the halls. Jongin grimaced. He hates kids. Jongin looked around and saw a young woman calling out for the kids to go to eat. She then noticed his presence and looked at him inquisitively, “Are you Kim Jongin?”
Jongin sighed as he chewed his gum loudly, “Yup.”
The lady smiled and came over, “I’m Victoria, nice to meet you, Jongin.”
He gave her a fake smile as he shook her hand.
“You have no idea how delighted my husband and I are to have bright young man help us out at the orphanage!” she said cheerfully. Jongin just nodded, not really digging the vibe of the place. It was too… bright and chirpy. Wasn’t this an orphanage?
“Please, follow me!” Victoria said as she ushered him through a series of halls and into the kitchen. While walking, Jongin checked her out. She probably was a lot older than him, but she had nice curves. And not to mention a pretty face. He smirked, maybe he could get some of that. They arrived at the dining area where a group of 8 young children were eating.
“Yunho!” Victoria called out. A tall man popped out from the kitchen and went over to them.
“This is my husband, Yunho.” Victoria said with a smile as Jongin just gave a curt nod, “We run this small orphanage together. It’s quite difficult to manage so we are just so delighted that you can help us!”
Jongin gave them a nice big smile as he sarcastically said, “You have no idea how glad I am to be here.”
Apparently the couple didn’t notice the sarcasm and they just excitedly nodded.
“So, we house around 19 children,” Yunho said, “Ranging from age 14 to 5. The ones older than 8 go to public school, while those who are younger get schooling here, usually taught by Victoria and a couple other teachers. So you’ll probably interact most with our younger kids. Except for the weekend when everyone is home.”
Jongin just nodded. As long as he didn’t have to be with the kids. Oh who was he kidding? They probably will squeeze every working power out of him. Jongin sighed as Yunho said, “Let me show you to your room.”
Jongin followed the older man up the stairs and into a small room. Like seriously, it was the size of Jongin’s bathroom. There was only a bed, a dresser, a small desk, and no room for any walking.
“One of our children recently got adopted, so we made this room for you!” Yunho said, “I hope you like it.”
“Love it.” Jongin said as he threw his duffle bag on the ground and gingerly sat on the bed.
“Anyway, this is Henry,” Yunho said when a small guy with a large grin on his face walked in.
“I’m Henry!” the guy said, smile never leaving, “Nice to meet you.”
Jongin reluctantly shook the happy man’s hand as Yunho said, “Henry is our chef and housekeeper, almost. He will be showing you around the place and teaching you kitchen stuff.”
“Cool,” Jongin said with a forced smile, “I’m excited.”
Yunho then bid his farewell as Henry said happily patting Jongin on the back, “Me too! It’s always nice to have company in the kitchen! Although I really did want to ask why you keep this sunglasses on when we're inside the room.”
Henry tried touching them and Jongin swatted his hand away. Jongin just silently followed the young man who explained everything with such detail and happiness… it like killed Jongin. He met a couple of the other teachers, Eunhyuk and Donghae, and ran into a couple of the children. But they finally made it to the kitchen.
Cut to Jongin, doing the dishes with a sigh. This was fun. He groaned as the number of dishes kept piling up. After finally finishing the dreaded dishes, Jongin looked at his watch. Oh goodness gracious. It was barely 11. What the hell, man. Maybe he should just go hide in the bathroom or something.
“You took quite a while doing those dishes, my friend!” Henry said with a sonorous and jolly laugh. Jongin twitched. He really wanted to punch the fool.
“It’s okay,” Henry said, “You start to get used to it. Anyway, it’s time to prepare lunch. So here, cut these things.”
And so Jongin was stuck in the kitchen for another hour, slaving away with the singing cook. No, that guy seriously sang the WHOLE time they were in the kitchen.
“Come on, kiddo,” Henry said, “Loosen up and sing with me.”
Jongin just shook his head and washed the tomatoes. He looked at the clock. 12. Seriously? Time must be frozen or something.
Apparently it was lunch time now so Henry made Jongin serve the little boys and girls the food. (Only after making Jongin practice smiling for a couple minutes.) They would all stare at him weirdly, because… well, Jongin had his sunglasses on the whole time. The kids just whispered to each other before hurriedly moving away from Jongin. He smirked, damn kids better be scared of him.
After serving the food, Jongin looked at the clock. 12:30… he seriously was gonna break something at this point.
“Ooh it’s art time!” one of the younger girls squealed. The other kids started chattering before Victoria came and lead them into one of the classrooms. Jongin blinked as he washed the dishes. He leaned over and asked Henry, “What’s going on?”
Henry smiled, “It’s their art lessons. Twice a week. Sunyoung is just an angel. She comes in out of her own free will to do arts and crafts with them. Oh, another kind hearted soul like you!”
Jongin grimaced. Right, kind hearted soul like him.
“Jongin!” Victoria called out. Jongin looked up, “Yes?”
“I want you to come meet our art teacher. And the children. They would really love to have interaction with other older people.” Victoria said. Jongin sighed as he followed Victoria into the classroom and Henry bid his goodbye. A young girl walked toward the room as well. She was dressed simply in a white blouse and a flowy black skirt that danced around her mid thighs. She had short black hair that was pinned to the side and carried a large canvas tote bag on the side. She looked up and smiled as she gave Victoria a hug.
“Hi unni!” the girl said. Jongin just waited in the back while the girl and Victoria had their little girl moment.
“Who’s that?” the girl asked. Jongin smirked to himself. Ah yes, it would be weird if he wasn’t attractive to the female specimen.
“Oh, Jongin come over here!”
Jongin walked over to the ladies while Victoria introduced them, “Sunyoung, this is our new volunteer Jongin. Jongin, this is Sunyoung. She’s an art student and she comes here every Mondays and Wednesdays to do some art with the children.”
“Hi, nice to meet you.” Sunyoung said with a bright smile. Damn it, these people have to stop looking so damn happy. Jongin just nodded and shook her hand.
“Anyway, Jongin can help you and be your assistant from now on. I know the kids can become quite a hassle and it would be nice to have a guy in there for the boys.” Victoria said with a smile. Sunyoungjust nodded and said, “Okay, that sounds good!”
And with that Victoria went off to do her own thing, leaving Jongin and Sunyoung alone, standing in front of the door.
“Have you ever worked with kids?” Sunyoung asked.
Jongin just ignored her and asked, “So what brought you here?”
She blinked, “Excuse me?”
“Drugs? Drunk driving? Property damage…”
“What?”
“…defamation? Wronging the government? Oh, you don’t happen to have a stupid grandfather who won’t give you his company, too, do you?”
“Um,” Sunyoung said, “I’m here because I want to be.”
Jongin started laughing, “Wait no really, Shinyoung, what brings you here?”
Sunyoung calmly said, “My name is SUNyoung. And I am a volunteer. Hence, I come out of my own free will. Unless you can’t understand basic English.”
Jongin raised his eyebrow. Whoo, feisty. He did like a little splash of that in his girls.
“Anyway,” Sunyoung said, “The kids are waiting, we should go in.”
Without waiting for him, she opened the door and walked in.
“Hi guys!” Sunyoung said with a chirpy smile.
“HI SUNNY TEACHER!” the kids all shouted excitedly. Jongin strolled in after her and took a seat on the wheelie chair behind the front desk. A couple of them ran up to her.
“Teacher, teacher, look I hurt my finger!”
“Luna teacher! I lost my first tooth!”
“I learned how to whistle!!”
Sunyoung laughed, “Oh no, Krystal, I hope your finger gets better. And wow, Chanyeol, you’re growing up to be a big boy already! Amber, congratulations! I wish I could whistle as well as you! Anyway, let’s go get seated, guys.”
“Sunyoung teacher! Who’s that guy! Is he your boyfriend?!” a kid asked obnoxiously, pointing at Jongin.
Luna shook her head, “No, he’s not. He’s going to be teaching with me from now. Everyone say hi to Jongin teacher.”
She motioned for him to get up so Jongin begrudgingly stood up and went next to her.
“Hi Jongin teacher,” the kids mumbled. The same obnoxious boy raised his hand and yelled, “Excuse me! MISTER! Can you see through those dark glasses?”
Jongin twitched, “They’re called sunglasses.”
The kid raised his hand again and shouted, “MISTER! But we're inside, why do have those on?”
“You look like a pigeon.” one of the girl said, giggling. The whole class started laughing and Kai felt his vein twitch. Even Luna who was standing next to him bit back a laugh.
“I look like a what?” Jongin asked.
“Okay, everyone!” Sunyoung interrupted, “So that’s Jongin teacher. Now, let’s get started on our craft today!”
She put a stack of stock paper in Jongin’s hands and told him to pass it out. Jongin let out a very annoyed breath before he absentmindedly gave the paper to the kids.
“So today we’re gonna start a self portrait. Do you guys know what that is?”
The same obnoxious boy raised his hand and Sunyoung said, “Okay, Baekhyun, I know you know the answer to everything, but let’s give other people a chance to answer!” A shy girl raised her hand and Sunyoung said happily, “Yes, Jinri. Please tell me.”
“It’s a picture of yourself.”
Sunyoung smiled, “Great job! Yes, it is a picture of yourself. It’s how YOU see yourself. How YOU, not your friend, not your teacher, but YOU look at yourself. So let’s spend some time telling each other things about yourself!”
The kids started mumbling to each other as Sunyoung walked over to Jongin, who was slouching on the comfortable chair. “When they start to draw, can you walk around and encourage them?”
Jongin took off his glasses and smiled at her, “Look, Sunyoung. I don’t know if you can tell, but I’m kind of a big deal. And I’m only here because my grandpa is forcing me to. So I would prefer to kind of… you know, lay low and watch you. I mean, you’re just so good with the kids, ya know? And not to mention very pretty.”
Sunyoung mirrored that sweet smile, “Aww, that is very sweet of you. Oh yes, how could I ever dare to tell you to do something SO hard?”
Jongin nodded. Yes, his charms were working.
“Said no one ever.” Luna said, flatly, “It’s not hard. Just say ‘oh what are you drawing’ and ‘oh, that looks great!’ Any decent human being can do that.”
“Sun! Sun!!!” the kid Baekhyun shouted, “Can we start now?!”
Sunyoung turned around to face the children and smiled, “Yes! I’m going to give everyone a piece of chalk to draw yourself and what you think of yourself!”
The kids excitedly accepted the chalk and started drawing their thoughts onto the paper. Sunyoung went around and helped the kids and encouraged them while Jongin just chilled on the seat.
“Jongin teacher,” Sunyoung said, “Do you mind going around and checking other kids’ work?”
He shrugged, “I’d really rather just stay put here.”
Sunyoung took a deep breath, “I would appreciate if you’d help me.”
Jongin smirked, “I’m afraid I won’t be any much of help for you. Unless you wanna take it to the bedroom then I can definitely help you with-”
“Jongin!” Sunyoung yelled. She turned to the kids, and sweetly said, “Continue. I’m just gonna talk to Jongin teacher for a second, okay?”
She grabbed him by his wrist and muttered through tightened lips, “Come out right now.”
Jongin just rolled his eyes but then felt her yank him up real hard and pull him out of the room. As soon as the door shut, Sunyoung turned around and crossed her arms over, “Are you serious right now?”
“What?” Jongin asked nonchalantly.
“They’re young children,” Sunyoung said, “You can’t say things like that around here. You’re gonna teach them wrong things.”
Jongin shook his head, “I just say what’s on my mind.”
“Look, I don’t know who you think you are,” Sunyoung said, “But those kids. They don’t have parents. Already, they are at a higher emotional and psychological risk. They don’t need more bad influence than they already have from their parents.”
Jongin started feeling a little, just a teeny bit, bad, but then he just shrugged, “That’s great and everything, but I have a higher emotional and psychological risk, too. From you lecturing me. Just let me be.”
Sunyoung sighed, “Just don’t say inappropriate things. Or teach them bad things.”
She stomped back into the classroom, leaving Jongin outside, feeling amused. Well little miss feisty over there definitely has got something going. He checked his watch. Sigh. This day was never going to end.  


A/N: Hope you liked it. It's probably a lot less angsty than the forward made it seem, huh? Well anyway, hope you enjoyed it. Leave a coment or two to give me your thoughts. Do you like young orphan exo and f(x)? hehe, anyway, i'll probably take a while to update this since there is the other one, too. But hopefully not for too long. Peace out!