TWO

Chiaroscuro [Hiatus]

New Characters:
(As they appear in chapter)
Sehun (6): one of the boys at orphanage
Lee Byunghun (22): aka Ljoe. Sunyoung's friend who attends art school


TWO

Jongin.
“Wait are you serious?” Taemin asked. He let out a hearty laugh while Jongin shook his head and drank his beer. Jongin had been in that hellhole for barely one week. One week and he’s already had enough. Jongin seriously considered not getting the company and defying his grandfather’s wishes. It was just so frustrating.
“That’s funny to you?” Jongin asked with a hiss. Taemin shrugged as he drank his alcohol, “I mean… it just .”
Jongin just sighed as he leaned back on the couch. At least the people weren’t crazy enough to keep him cooped up. They were fine with him leaving once in a while, which was why Jongin quickly took the opportunity to leave and crash at his friend’s place.
“Should I just not go back?” Jongin mused. That would be quite fantastic. He wouldn’t have to deal with the annoying little kids, the talkative Henry, and the way too happy to be real couple. Oh, and of course not to mention little miss perfect herself, Park Sunyoung. She was always cheerful and smiling, and that annoyed the out of Jongin. Because he knows that deep inside she was an evil witch, waiting to be let loose.
“And lose those billions and trillions of dollars worth of capital? Bro, are you stupid? Just it up for three months,” Taemin advised. Jongin scoffed, “Easy for you to say. You’re not the one who’s cooped up in there for months. I’m telling you… something is wrong with those people.”
Jongin shivered as he recalled his first week there. Apart from helping the delightful Sunyoung with the art classes and helping Henry in the kitchen, Jongin was on cleaning duty. Like 24/7. Jongin never cleaned anything in his freaking life. He still gets the shivers recalling having to wash one of the sheets that a little boy peed in. It was absolutely horrifying. Other than that, after dinner Jongin was free to do whatever he wanted to. But the kids were absolutely loud and annoying. The boys kept wanting to wrestle him, Henry kept trying to sing with him, Victoria kept telling him stories about his grandfather, and Yunho talked about his glory days when he was part of a some soccer team. Yes, this orphanage was definitely strange. Plus his lady friends kept texting him, asking where he was and stuff. How the hell was Jongin supposed to answer that? Jongin sighed as he looked at his watch, “I have to go now.”
Taemin raised his brow, “It's barley 10, bro.”
Jongin twitched as he muttered, “I have a 10:30 curfew."
Taemin let out a loud and sonorous laugh, much to Jongin’s chagrin. He just waited for his friend to stop being so obnoxious. Taemin’s laughed started settling down as he wiped the tears from his eyes, “Curfew. Oh my goodness. You’re like whipped. I’ve never seen Kim Jongin like this.”
Jongin glared at his friend, “Shut up.”
“Do you like have to ask them for permission every time you go out too or something?” Taemin asked. Jongin tightened his lips and didn’t say anything. Taemin started laughing again, “Oh my goodness. You’re like a high school kid again!”
“Shut up. I’m leaving.” Jongin said as he got up and walked towards the door.
“Bye witto Jongin!” Taemin said, still laughing, “I hope you make it back on time for your curfew so you don’t get grounded!”
Jongin shook his head as he made his way to the car. He angrily started driving back to the stupid, stupid orphanage that was currently ruining his life. Jongin screamed and honked his car to let out his anger. Seriously… this was causing him too much stress. Victoria was seriously like a strict mom, asking him for every little detail about where he was going and what he was going to do. It was a bit too much. Jongin held his breath and slowly let it out, trying to calm himself down. Three months. It’s okay, just three months.
--
Jongin sighed as he poured the soup into the noodles they were serving for lunch. Menial tasks. Everyday.
“Yah, Jongin!” Henry piped as he stood next to Jongin, “Smile! The little kids are gonna be too scared to eat their food.”
Jongin forced an angry smile as he served the bowls to the kids. Henry shook his head, “That’s the best smile you can do? You poor thing, you probably don’t attract many girls with that face.”
Jongin twitched… wait, what? He, the infamous womanizer Kim Jongin couldn’t attract girls with this god-given beautiful face? Jongin turned around to give the crazy man a piece of his mind but he was rudely interrupted by a “Henry Oppa!”
Jongin watched as the chef gave the young art student a big hug while saying, “Oh, Sunyoung! Good to see you!”
Jongin just rolled his eyes and practically slammed the next bowl to the kid. The little girl stared up at him with scared eyes. Jongin almost felt a little bad. Almost. Jongin tried his best to ignore the happy two who were sharing a conversation. Oh, how’s life? Oh, it’s great, graduating in a couple months. You’re already graduating? I remember when you were just a freshman. Remember the old days.. yada yada. Jongin shook his head as he served the last of the food. He briskly turned around and interrupted the two, “Sorry to interrupt anything, but I’m done, Henry. So, I’m gonna be in my room.”
Sunyoung’s smile faltered a little bit as she said, “Uh, actually, we have class very soon.”
Jongin rolled his eyes, “Well then let me kindly remind you that it’s in an hour.” And like the diva that is he, Jongin stalked off to go to his room, leaving behind a clueless Henry and confused Sunyoung.
Good riddance. Jongin sighed as he lied down on his bed. The days cannot go by any faster in this darned orphanage. Maybe it was cursed for time to move ever so slowly.
“AHHHHH!” Jongin yelled as he punched his pillow. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid grandpa. Ugh. Exasperated, Jongin just lied back on the bed. He really might become suicidal here. He looked through his phone and saw texts from his girls like Suzy and Sojin and Minzy. Maybe he should just sneak out to meet up with one of them. It actually didn’t seem like a crazy idea.
Suddenly there was a light knock on the door.
“No one’s here.” Jongin said. The person obviously ignored him and opened the door. He sat up and saw Sunyoung peeking her head through the door.
“What the hell,” Jongin said, “What great manners you have just barging into someone’s room.”
“Sorry,” Sunyoung said sheepishly as she entered the room, “Wow, you have a nice room.”
Jongin scoffed. Nice room his . It was tiny hellhole. And now she was making it very suffocating by being in the room.
“What do you want?” Jongin said, not bothering to look at her. Sunyoung cautiously sat on the chair next to his desk as she said, “Umm, I just wanted to apologize for getting mad at you last week. I think we just got off on the wrong foot. How about we just start over?”
Sunyoung looked at him hopefully with a bright smile. Gosh, that smile pissed him off. Jongin smirked, “Did you find out I was heir to a trillion dollar company?”
Her smile faded as she looked at him in confusion, “What?”
“Is that why you wanted to ‘start over?’ You know, because you want to try to get at some of that money?” Jongin said as he sat up from his bed to face her. Sunyoung crinkled her brows, “What, no. I didn’t even kn-”
“Right, you didn’t even know.” Jongin said, “That’s what they all say.”
Sunyoung didn’t say anything and she just looked at him. Jongin couldn’t really put his finger on what kind of look it was, but there was something unsettling about it. It was such an intense yet soft look. Maybe it was her eyes. They seemed to be looking straight into his soul. It gave Jongin some strange sensation.
“What?” Jongin asked, not able to break his gaze on her soft brown orbs, “What’s up with that look you’re giving me?”
“Nothing,” she said softly, eyes a bit glossy, “I just… I just feel sorry for you.”
Jongin looked at her as is she said that Michael Jackson came back to life. What the hell was she babbling about? He was about to retort when she said, “You must have so much pain inside of you.”
For some reason that made Jongin angry. Who the was she to say that? Does she think she knows him? . Jongin abruptly stood up and stalked towards Sunyoung.  He placed his hands on either side of the armrest and trapped her against the chair and his body. Jongin leaned his face super close to her, a mere couple millimeters apart, and he felt Sunyoung freeze up.
“No one ing dares to pity me.” Jongin whispered in her ear. He angrily pulled away and stormed out the door, slamming it shut on his way. He officially hated her and her perfect smile and her annoying perfect persona. He hated how her eyes glittered and how her laugh had a nice trill. Jongin was going to make her tick. He was going to wipe that nice-girl smile off her face and watch her explode.
Damn. Stupid girl just kicked Jongin out of his own room.
--
Jongin peered through the window. Sunyoung was cheerfully talking to the young kids, explaining some project. There were a million thoughts running through his head on how to attack the evil woman. What would be the perfect way to cast his revenge on her? Jongin thought that maybe not going in to teach with her would be a good revenge. But no… that wouldn’t make her tick. And thus with an evil grin, Jongin walked into the room. “Hello everyone!” he said uncharacteristically with a happy tone. Everyone, including Sunyoung, looked at him as if he was speaking an alien language or something.
“It’s pigeon teacher!” Baekhyun yelled from his seat. Jongin twitched and muttered through his clenched teeth, “Please call me Jongin teacher.”
Sunyoung just smiled at him, “It’s nice of you to join us, Jongin teacher.”
“Yeah yeah” Jongin said as he went to the back of the classroom.  
“Anyway,” Sunyoung continued, “I want you guys to be as creative as possible! Different dreams there are in life! There are no limits and ends to the dreams you can accomplish!”
Jongin just snorted from the back, “No limits my .”
The kids all turned to look at him with big, round eyes. Sunyoung looked at Jongin and said, “No. It’s true. The things that you can do in life are limitless.”
Jongin shook his head with a smirk, “Everything in life has limits. Listen up, kids. Everything comes with hard work. But there are times when all that hard work won’t take you where you want. There are boundaries set by your environment that tells you what you can and cannot do. Aren’t I right, Sunyoung teacher?”
Sunyoung sighed and replied, “There are no boundaries that cannot be overcome.”
Jongin scoffed, “How can you be such an optimist.”
“And how can you be such a skeptic.” Sunyoung retorted. Jongin was about to say something back when Sunyoung cut him off, “Sorry, guys. Jongin teacher and I just have different views. But you guys should get started. I’m excited to see what you guys want to do when you grow up.”
The kids just nodded as they started their art, returning back to their chattering and cheerful selves. Jongin looked intensely at Sunyoung the whole time. But she simply ignored him while talking to some of the children. Either she didn’t feel his intense gaze or she was choosing to ignore him. Well, the aggravation somewhat worked. Jongin smirked as he decided to sit next to some small looking kid with his full head of hair covering most of his face. He was quietly doing his work. Jongin leaned over and said, “What you doing there, kid?”
The boy didn’t even bother looking at Jongin and said, “Mind your own business.”
Jongin raised a brow. Okay, snarky emo kid back here. What a rude kid.
“Yah, what’s your name?” Jongin said, bugging the boy. The kid rolled his eyes and said, “None of your business.”
Well this little twit was getting annoying. Jongin was about to yell at him when a gentle voice said, “He’s Sehun.”
Jongin looked up and saw Sunyoung standing in front of him. She smiled as he crouched next to the boy, “Hi Sehun.”
“Hi Sunyoung,” he said, scribbling away at the paper. Jongin just watched as the little brat interacted with Sunyoung.
“What are you drawing there?” Sunyoung asked. Sehun shrugged, “A basketball.”
“Wow!” Sunyoung said enthusiastically, “That’s a cool ball.”
Sehun just nodded as he drew his picture. Sunyoung smiled, “Hey, I know he looks  little scary, but Jongin teacher is here to be friends with you. So be nice to him, okay?”
Sehun sighed and said, “Okay.”
Sunyoung grinned and patted him on the head, “Good boy.” She got up and turned to Jongin. She gave him a victorious smile as she walked to the super loud Baekhyun who was waving his paper around to catch her attention.
Jongin smirked. Thank you, Sunyoung for helping him develop his great plan called “Corrupting Sehun.”
--
Sunyoung.
“Unni, I don’t know if Jongin should be in the classroom with me,” Sunyoung said as she folded the clothes with Victoria. Class ended and Sunyoung had some time to help the older girl do the laundry.
“What do you mean?” Victoria asked. Sunyoung shrugged, “I don’t know. He seems to have a lot of issues. It worries me that he might influence the kids.”
Victoria smiled, “I’m sure he just feels uncomfortable and he doesn’t know what to do. He’s never left the comfortable living style before.”
“Whatever,” Sunyoung said, “Could you try talking to him though? Or ask Henry or Yunho oppa to.
Victoria nodded, “Okay, I will. But how are other things going? How’s school? You find a boyfriend yet?”
Sunyoung laughed, “School’s fine. I’m graduating soon, so it’s exciting. And no, unni, no boyfriend for me.”
“Oh, come on,” Victoria said smiling, “Your one friend with the crazy purple hair. What was his name? ByungHee?”
“You mean Byunghun?” Sunyoung asked.
“Yeah!” Victoria replied laughing, “He’s pretty cute. Why not him?”
Sunyoung shook her head while laughing, “He’s just a friend, unni. Besides, I’m over relationships. I’m just gonna be a nun forever.”
Victoria rolled her eyes, “Oh, please. They won’t even accept you into the nunnery.”
They just laughed as they finished folding the clothes.
“I should head back now,” Sunyoung said as she grabbed her stuff. At that exact moment Jongin came into the room and said, “Victoria, Yunho’s looking for you.”
Victoria nodded, “I’ll be right there, thanks Jongin!”
There was a brief pause before Victoria looked up and said, “Hey Jongin, can you actually take Sunyoung home? It’s kind of late, and I don’t want her to take the bus back.”
Sunyoung and Jongin both looked at her in surprise.
“Wait, unni,” Sunyoung said, “It’s totally fine. I always use the bus.”
Jongin nodded, “She said it was fine.”
“I don’t think it’s fine,” Victoria said, “Jongin, please be a dear and take her.”
Sunyoung uncomfortably stood, not knowing what to do. Jongin was an interesting person. He definitely had a lot of anger issues. Sunyoung predicts that it’s just a cover up for probably a lot of pain and hurt. But who knows. Sunyoung was always the optimist though. She always believes in the good of people so she knows that deep inside, Jongin is a good kid. But Jongin doesn't seem to really like her. Which Sunyoung doesn’t really mind. Stupid Victoria unni had to in and make them interact more.
“Fine,” Jongin replied. Sunyoung looked at him in confusion. Did he just agree? She just stared at him, mouth lightly opened.
“What are you gonna just stand there?” Jongin asked, annoyed, “Are you gonna come or what?”
Sunyoung just nodded as she said bye to Victoria and followed Jongin out to his car. He was silent the whole time, so Sunyoung also remained quiet as they got into the car and sped out the parking lot. They drove out for a little bit when Jongin pulled up in front of the bus stop.
“Get out,” Jongin said.
“What?” Sunyoung replied. Jongin smirked, “You didn't really think I would take you home, did you? It’s just an excuse for me to leave the place.”
Sunyoung just blinked, “So you’re just gonna leave me here?”
Jongin nodded, “At least I did you a favor and dropped you off at the bus stop.”
Sunyoung forced a smile and just nodded, “Thanks. You’re so generous.”
She got out of the car and Jongin sped off into the distance. 
--
A/N: Thank you guys for being for patient. It's been finals week at the UC's. This is kind of a filter chapter, but I hope you like it. Please comment!