FOUR

Chiaroscuro [Hiatus]

Characters:
(As they appear in the chapter)
Kwon Boa (48): Mother of Sunyoung
Park Kangta (50): Father of Sunyoung


FOUR

Jongin.
“Okay, practice one more time.” Henry said gently to Jongin, who just awkwardly scratched his head. Jongin cleared his throat and said, “Sunyoung, I’m sorry I made you cry. I won’t be stupid again.”

Henry smiled, “There you go. Now put a smile on that handsome face, don’t look like someone who just got punched in the guts.”
Jongin grimaced. Apologies were not his thing. But for some reason, there was a weird feeling of discomfort in his gut, knowing that he made the girl cry.
“Hey, it’s almost time!” Henry said, patting Jongin on the back, “Don’t worry. Sunyoung will be very understanding!”
Jongin sighed, “Maybe I should just skip class today.”
“Nonsense!” Henry chastised, “It’s time to face your fears and conquer them! Now go along.”
Jongin just groaned as he reluctantly made his way from the kitchen to the classroom. He peeked inside the room and saw Sunyoung sitting alone at one of the desks, reading something. Jongin couldn’t do it. He was about to turn around and close the door, when he bumped into little Baekhyun.
“Penguin teacher! What are you doing by the door?” He asked quite obnoxiously. Jongin brought his finger to his lips to signal the boy to be quiet but Baekhyun completely disregarded it and said, “WHAT!? Penguin teacher is weird" and stalked off down the hall. Jongin looked behind him and saw that Sunyoung was looking over. Dang it. She started walking over and Jongin just coughed and looked around. Stupid kid couldn't mind his own business.
“Jongin?” Sunyoung said as she opened the door fully. Jongin blinked as he awkwardly said, “Uh, yes. Hi.”
He laughed nervously as he entered the classroom and said, “So, uh. What’s the lesson plan today?”
Sunyoung gave him a weird look before she answered, “Mosaics.”
Jongin nodded, “Cool. Cool.”
“Did you need something?” Sunyoung asked, looking confused.
“Huh?” Jongin croaked, “Uh. No… nothing. Just wanted to see how you were doing.”
Sunyoung raised a brow, “Jongin, what is it?”
He took a deep breath and broke every ounce of pride within him before saying, “I’m sorry for… um, last week. I just… I know what it feels like to be disappointed and crushed by reality. And I guess I didn’t realize it’s not what the kids need and… uh. Yeah…”
Jongin looked everywhere but her face, but all of a sudden he heard her laughing. He looked at the girl strangely as she didn’t stop laughing. It sounded nice though. Her laugh. Much better than the sound of her crying.
“What?” Jongin said, “Did I say something funny?”
Sunyoung’s laughter died down and she shook her head while smiling, “No, it’s just…. I never expected you to apologize. And I’ve never seen you look so awkward. But um, thanks. I appreciate it.”
Jongin just nodded his head and for once the two were not fighting or bickering (mostly on his part), but they were in an agreement. That weird feeling of discomfort didn’t disappear though. If anything, that strange feeling starting knotting tighter in his stomach. That was very unsettling to Jongin.
The door suddenly opened and the kids streamed in, excitelly chattering. Mostly on the loud trio’s part. Jongin saw little Sehun come in, so he said, “Hey, what’s up Sehun!”
The boy just ignored Jongin and went to his seat. Jongin sighed. Did he seriously have to apologize to a little 6 year old, too. Really? He didn’t know how much more his pride could handle.
--
Jongin yawned as he entered the last classroom. It was 8PM and his long day of cleaning was almost over. He hated Thursdays because it was the “clean up” day. Which basically equated to Jongin cleaning up everything. Like literally EVERYTHING. He had never cleaned so much in his life. But finally, his night was almost over. Jongin just had to finish cleaning the art classroom.
With a sigh, Jongin started scrubbing the tables and organizing the chairs. Relative to the other classrooms, this room was pretty neat. Especially considering it was where the most mess can possibly happen. As Jongin finished cleaning, he noticed a big sketchbook by the corner of the room.
Jongin curiously went over and picked it up. In tiny letters it just spelled Park Sunyoung on the corner. Looks like she forgot her sketchbook. Jongin knew it was probably bad for him to do this, but he was so curious. And thus, Jongin opened the pad and started looking through the pictures. They were mostly sketches of hands and different body parts by pencil. It was actually pretty cool. There were some portraits in there, some of whom he recognized. There was one of Yunho and Victoria walking in some grassy field. One of Henry in the kitchen. There were some of the kids running around at a park. And there was a sketch of a good looking guy wearing a suit, looking down at his watch. Jongin didn't really know who this dude was. The next couple were all of this same random guy, smiling and doing other things. Hmm, maybe she has a boyfriend.
The door suddenly opened and Jongin quickly closed the sketchbook and turned around. Victoria looked surprised to see Jongin there as she continued to talk on the phone, “I’m in the classroom right now. Where did you say you left it?”
Jongin shifted his feet a bit before lifting up the sketchbook, “Are you looking for this?”
Victoria’s face lit up and said, “Oh Sunyoung, you did leave it here! Jongin found it! I’ll have him drop it off to you tomorrow.”
Jongin sweatdropped. Since when did he become the errand boy of this orphanage?
“No problem, sweetie. Okay, bye!” Victoria said before she hung up.
“Thank goodness you found it!” Victoria said happily, “Can you please drop it off to her tomorrow? I believe she ends school around 5 ish, so I’ll tell Henry to excuse you from cooking duty.”
Jongin just blinked and nodded.
--
Sunyoung.
Sunyoung excitedly walked out of class. Finally, the weekend was here! Not that Sunyoung hated school or anything, but it had been an exceptionally long week and she was more than ready to get some rest.
“Why are you so excited?” Byunghun asked. They were in the same class together and were walking out together.
“No particular reason!” Sunyoung said with a grin, “Just glad it’s the weekend!”
Byunghun just laughed, “You’re so easily pleased.”
Sunyoung smiled back, “I believe it is one my gifts.”
“Hey, by the way,” Byunghun said, “Have you seen Chunji and Jieun recently?”
Sunyoung thought for a moment before replying, “Now that you mention it, no. I’ve only talked to Jieun on the phone.”
“There’s something fishy, I’m telling you,” Byunghun said. Sunyoung gasped, “You don’t think they’re dating?!”
“My sherlock senses tell me that they are…” Byunghun replied.
“I knew there was always something different around them!” Sunyoung exclaimed. Wow, if her friends were dating that was indeed a crazy thing. As Byunghun and Sunyoung reached the parking lot, Byunghun asked, “You want a ride home?”
Sunyoung smiled and shook her head, “No, Byunghun. Your house is in the complete opposite direction! I can just take the bus. Thanks, though.”
The two friends were about to cross the street when an obnoxious silver Porsche pulled up in front of the lot. Jongin stepped out wearing his expensive shades and a leather jacket. He practically posed in front of his car while the passing by female students were gushing over him.
Sunyoung's mouth dropped open in embarassment, “Oh gosh.”
Byunghun crinkled his nose, “Do you know him?”
As if on cue Jongin looked over and said, “Yo, Sunyoung!”
The spectating girls were squealing and looked at Sunyoung with jealousy as the good-looking Jongin walked over in her direction.
“Hey.” Jongin said with a smirk as he stood in front of Sunyoung and Byunhun.
“Um, hi,” Sunyoung said, still taken aback by his “grand” entrance. People were still surrounding them and watching, making Sunyoung feel very uncomfortable. 
“And you are?” Jongin said, looking over at Byunhun.
“Lee Byunhun,” he replied, putting out his hand. Jongin reluctantly shook it and replied, “Kim Jongin.”
“Is this the douchebag you were talking about?” Byunghun asked Sunyoung quietly. But obviously it was still loud enough for Jongin to hear, “Excuse me? Douchebag?”
Sunyoung immediately perked up and said to Byunghun, “Sorry, but I ought to go. I’ll see you next week!” She turned to Jongin and said, “Let’s go.”
Jongin was about to retort with something but Sunyoung quickly pushed him along to the car and got in.
“What was that all about?” Jongin asked in the car, “Is that guy your boyfriend or something?”
Sunyoung shook her head, “No, he’s a friend. And you were embarrassing me with all the stares from people around us.”
“Whatever,” Jongin said with a smirk, "I can't help that the female specimen enjoy looking at my adonis looks.”
Sunyoung blinked, “Huh?”
Jongin laughed, “Alright, whatever. Your sketchbook is in the back. How do I get to your house?”
“Oh,” Sunyoung said, “It’s okay, just drop me off at the bus stop.”
Jongin grunted, “No, I’ll just take you home. Where do you live?”
Sunyoung stared at Jongin in confusion, “Who are you and what have you done with Jongin?”
He just shrugged, “Whatever. I’m just trying to be nice.”
Sunyoung just giggled quietly as she told him her address. It was rather strange seeing Jongin being kind. But… it was a nice change, Sunyoung must say. They drove in silence to Sunyoung’s home, listening to soft classical music.
"I never pegged you as the classical music type," Sunyoung mused, enjoying the soft piano keys that were being played. Jongin smirked, "There's a lot of thing you don't know about me, Sunyoung. I'm a very classy guy."
Sunyoung just smiled and nodded, "Sure."
"What," Jongin said in defense, "I really am!"
Sunyoung just laughed as they
 pulled up to the driveway of Sunyoung’s home.
“Well,” Sunyoung said while unbuckling her seat belt, “Thanks for the ride home. And for bringing my sketchpad.”
Jongin nodded, “Yeah. No bigs. It gave me a nice excuse to ditch dinner duty tonight.”
Sunyoung smiled as she grabbed her sketchbook and got out of the car. She stuck her head back through the window and said, “Really, thanks!”
A woman’s voice then called out, “Sunyoung!”
Sunyoung turned around and was face to face with an older woman who hugged the girl.
“My daughter, it’s good to have you home.” Sunyoung’s mom said. Jongin just smiled from the car. Well, it was pretty obvious where she got her happiness genes from.
“Oh, who is this?” Her mom asked, peeking her head through the window, “Is it a boy? Oh my goodness, you brought a boy home. Sunyoung-ah, introduce me!”
Jongin laughed as he watched a mortified Sunyoung trying to calm down her mom.
“Umma, he’s not my boyfriend,” Sunyoung tried to explain. Jongin got out of the car and bowed down, “Annyeounghaseyo. I’m Kim Jongin.”
Sunyoung’s mom Boa smiled, “Hello, Jongin. My, he is a handsome lad, Sunyoung! I’m Sunyoung’s mother. Thanks for bringing her home safely!”
Jongin grinned back sweetly, “Not a problem.”
Sunyoung looked back and forth between the exchange of Jongin and her mom. What in the world was going on?
“Would you like to stay for dinner?” Boa asked gleefully, “It’s not everyday my Sunyoungie brings a boy home!”
Sunyoung nervously laughed, “Haha, umma, I’m sure Jongin has a lot to do and-”
“I would love to!” Jongin replied with a grin. Sunyoung turn to him with hanging open. Um, what? This situation was all too strange. Sunyoung just stared as her mom pulled Jongin in, chirpily talking to him while leaving Sunyoung alone outside.
--
Jongin.
“Please, come in, come in!” Boa said cheerfully as she ushered Jongin in to her humble home. Jongin looked around at the quaint living room. It wasn’t tiny, but it was a lot smaller than the living rooms he was used to. Jongin wasn't sure why he agreed to stay for dinner. It's probably because he was sick and tired of always being at the orphanage. And also, Sunyoung's mother was very friendly to him. 
“Who is this?” A man’s voice came from out in the garden. An older looking man with tinges of gray hair came in, wearing gardening gloves and holding a shovel in his hand, “Boa-yah, who is this young man?”
Boa came out of the kitchen, carrying trays of the food and said, “It’s Sunyoungie’s boyfriend! Jongin!”
Sunyoung came in at that moment and said, “No, appa. He’s a…” Sunyoung paused. What were they? She looked at Jongin for a little bit before replying, “He’s just a friend.”
Jongin smirked. So they were friends now, huh?
“Hello,” Sunyoung’s dad Kangta said walking in. The man took off the gloves and held out his hand which Jongin respectfully shook.
“Kim Jongin,” Jongin said, “Nice to meet you, sir.”
Kangta
 let out a jolly laugh before saying, “Pleasure to have you in our home, young lad.”
“Honey!” Boa yelled from the kitchen, “Come help me carry this stuff to the living room. Sunyoung, set up the big dining table!”
Kangta mumbled as he went into the kitchen and Sunyoung pulled out of the table and set it up in front of the tv.
“This is how you guys eat?” Jongin asked, crinkling his nose. Sunyoung rolled her eyes, “Our dining table is too small to eat with guests.”
Kangta and Boa came in and set up the small grill and packets of what looked like raw meat.
“If I knew Sunyoung was bringing a friend,” Boa said, “I would’ve made more food! We bought Sunyoung’s favorite pig skin though!”
Sunyoung immediately brightened up, “Yay! I love that stuff.”
Jongin grimaced, “You like… what?”
Sunyoung grinned at him, “Pig skin. Don’t tell me you haven’t tried this before!”
Jongin shook his head as he whisphered to Sunyoung, “I have never tried such commoner food.”
Sunyoung laughed, “Well, it’s time for you to try something new!”
Jongin gulped as he stared at the pig skin Kangta was cooking on the grill while Boa placed the vegetables and rice in front Jongin.
“Umma!” Sunyoung said, “It’s Jongin’s first time eating pig skin.”
Boa and Kangta looked at Jongin with big eyes, “What?!”
“How have you never tasted this wonderful food that makes your taste buds dance with joy?” Kangta asked incredulously.
“Eat a lot!” Boa said as she placed the meat in front of Jongin. He just stared at the meat, starting to regret ever saying he would stay for dinner.
“Yes, maam,” Jongin said with a forced smile as he reluctantly picked up his chopsticks. Sunyoung just watched him and giggled. She picked one up with her chopsticks, dipped it in the sauce, and plopped it in .
“Yum!” She said, giving Jongin a mischievous smile. Jongin took a deep breath before putting the meat in his mouth. Three pairs of eyes were staring expectantly at him as he slowly chewed the food in his mouth.
“So…?” Kangta said. Boa continued, “How is it?”
Jongin swallowed the meat and blinked, “Oh. It’s actually pretty good!”
Boa and Kangta laughed.
“Of course it is!” Kangta beamed as he placed more meat on Jongin’s plate, “Eat a lot!”
Jongin nodded and smiled, “Thank you, sir.”
Sunyoung just smiled as she ate her share.
“Honey!” Kangta said, “Let’s bring out some soju! Since we do have a guest, might as well go all out!”
“Only one bottle, though,” Boa chastised as she went into the kitchen to get the soju and shot glasses.
“So, son,” Kangta said, “Where are you from? How do you know our Sunyounggie? What about her do you like? How long have you guys been dating?”
“Appa!” Sunyoung groaned, “For the last time, we’re not dating!”
“I’m from Seoul, sir,” Jongin replied, “I work at the Kai enterprise, although I’m taking a break right now. I’m volunteering at the same orphanage Sunyoung volunteers at so, that’s how we met.”
“Ah, so you’re a working lad!” Kangta said approvingly as Boa came in and placed the drinks down.
“Here, son!” Kangta said as he handed Jongin a shot glass, “Take a drink.”
Jongin gingerly accepted the drink while Kangta lifted his glass, “To Sunyoung’s friend Jongin!”
The dinner carried on with Kangta sharing stories about his glory days when he used to be the star singer at his university and how he courted the dancing queen Boa of his enemy school.
“Ah, those were the good old days!” Kangta said happily, “Wasn’t it, honey?”
Boa smiled, “Yes, yes. Our good old days.”
“Sunyoung-ah!” Kangta said, “I'm feeling jolly. Why don’t you sing for us? Appa hasn’t heard you in a while.”
Sunyoung groaned, “Appa. You hear me sing all the time. I’m getting too old to be your radio.”
“Come on,” Boa goaded, “I’m sure Jongin wants to hear you sing, right?”
Jongin nodded, amused by how Sunyoung gets picked on by her parents.
“I would really love to hear your voice, Sunyoung.” Jongin said with a playful smirk. Sunyoung glared at Jongin while her dad passed her the soju bottle for a mic. She took a deep breath before she started singing HOT’s happiness, “The time came for us to meet. You are in front of me, crying with nervousness. I dried your tears, then I held your hand. I’m going to rise, and give you, whose been with me, happiness!”
Kangta started singing along with his daughter as Boa did as well. They did like some crazy harmonizing thing and Jongin just watched in amazement. Sunyoung had a beautiful voice, no doubt, and there was some weird warm feeling Jongin felt just watching Sunyoung sing a song with her family. Was there something wrong with this family, or was there something wrong with his? Was it normal for most families to be like this? To love each other and sing together? To smile so uncontrolably and genuinely at each other? The song came to an end and Jongin enthusiastically clapped. Sunyoung turned a little pink as she stuffed her face with more pig skin.
“How was it, Jongin?” Kangta asked, “Our Sunyoungie has a beautiful voice, no?”
Sunyoung turned red, “Appa! Stop embarrassing me!”
“Yes, she does!” Jongin said with a smile, “Your whole family does!”
Boa beamed, “Oh, you sure know how to sweet talk.”
Jongin just grinned and Sunyoung shook her head. The dinner slowly came to a close and Jongin got up to leave.
“Thank you for having me over, Mr. and Mrs. Park!” Jongin said, bowing.
“Oh, the pleasure was ours!” Boa said happily. Kangta nodded, “It was nice having another rman around in the house.”
“Do come again anytime!” Boa said. Jongin nodded and smiled as he waved goodbye. Boa nudged Sunyoung to walk him outside so Sunyoung reluctantly followed him. They walked in silence to his car when Jongin abruptly turned around and coughed, “Um. Thanks for having me over.”
Sunyoung nodded, “No, thanks for being so kind to my parents. I know they can get a bit crazy at times, but thanks for putting up with them.”
Jongin smiled fondly, “No, I think… I strangely like your parents. You have a nice family. ”
Sunyoung mirrored his smile as she nodded, “Yeah, I do.”
More silence.
“Well, I’m gonna go back in now,” Sunyoung said, “Drive safely, Jongin! I’ll see you next week.”
Jongin nodded as he got into his car and drove off. He had a lot of fun tonight, which was very odd. Jongin wasn’t expecting this at all.
He couldn’t help but want to come back to that family again.
--
Sunyoung.
Sunyoung happily walked into the orphanage and was greeted by little Jinri who ran up to her.
“Hi Jinri!” Sunyoung said as she picked up the girl, “You’re getting so big now, I can barely hold you!”
Jinri giggled, “I waited for you SunSun! Lookie!”
She held up a ring made out of a single flower, “I made it for you!”
“Wow!” Sunyoung said, “It’s so pretty! Thank you! You want to put it on for me?”
Jinri nodded as she put the flower ring around Sunyoung’s finger.
“It’s beautiful!” Sunyoung said with a large smile. Jinri grinned as she hopped off Sunyoung’s arms and ran back to the playground. Sunyoung followed Jinri outside where all the little kids were running around and playing. Sunyoung stood under a nearby tree and observed the children. Jinri went back to flower picking with Soojung; Baekhyun, Jongdae, Chanyeol, and Amber were running around obnoxiously; Kyungsoo and Tao were playing with a ball; and Sehun… Sehun was with Jongin. Sunyoung squinted her eyes. Sehun was with Jongin and it looked like they were assembling a rocket. Sunyoung rubbed her eyes. Was this real? Jongin was playing with Sehun?
“It’s quite a sight, huh?” Henry said happily as he joined Sunyoung under the tree.
“Are they building a rocket?” Sunyoung asked, amazed. Henry nodded, “I think Jongin felt bad and really thought about what you said. He went to buy the rocket launching kit and look, he’s building it with Sehun now.”
“I haven’t seen Sehun look excited like that in a while,” Sunyoung said. Sehun and Jongin were almost done setting the rocket up and Sehun’s bright smile was definitely noticeable.
“Yeah,” Henry said with a knowing smile, “Jongin is a good kid. Deep inside.”
Sunyoung just nodded as she remembered the dinner they had with her family and now this rocket building with Sehun. She smiled, “Yeah, he is.”
Sehun suddenly ran over to them and went up to Sunyoung.
“SunSun!” Sehun said excitedly, “We’re about to launch the rocket! Come see! You too Uncle Henry!”
Sehun grabbed Sunyoung’s hand and pulled her along to where the little rocket was. All the kids seemed to have stopped their activites and came to spectate the launch.
“Here’s the remote, little guy,” Jongin said as he handed Sehun the remote. Sehun took it excitedly and asked Jongin, “Will it really fly?”
“Well,” Jongin said, scratching his head, “I hope so. If we made it right, it should.”
“Let’s count down everyone!” Henry shouted. Every chimed in as they counted down, “5, 4, 3, 2, 1!”
Sehun pressed the button and the rocket shot up into the air. Everyone cheered including Sehun who looked up brightly at Jongin who just grinned right back. Sehun gave Sunyoung a hug as he said excitedly, “Did you see that Sunsun!??!”
Sunyoung nodded as she patted him on the head, “Yeah, great job, Sehun!”
She looked up and saw Jongin staring at her. Sunyoung was startled for a bit when she saw him smile. A genuine and handsome smile. Her heart did a little flip before she smiled back at him.


 A/N: Yay, we are making progress in their relationship! WHOO! Hearts are fluttering and wow, he even met her parents! I had a lot of fun making Kangta and Boa her parents. Isn't that totally believeable? LOL. Anyway, thanks for reading. Special thanks to shiny_luna and kyuyoonie for commenting on the last chapter. Please let me know what all ya'll think so I get encouraged to keep writing and kind of see where you guys want the story to go! Until next time!

Ps. I'm going to focus on this for a little bit before going back to my oneshots, so those will take a while before an update.