" [[ chapter four || the optimist :: ]]

debut :: || trainee applyfic ( story started! chapter five~ )


    " [[ the optimist :: ]]
  

    

    

Yuki rolled her eyes lightly at her phone, wondering to herself just what she had done in her past life to deserve a dongsaeng like this. She the ends of her new green curls, sighing softly as she thought back to the past few days. It had been only five days since they stopped being trainees, but the burden of paying for housing and continuing to practice without coaches and trainers was getting worse. At least her saeng had gotten a job, right?

"Yea right."

The colourful haired girl growled to herself, waiting impatiently for the bus to come along. Having a job twenty minutes away from the hostel was a drag, but it paid damn well enough to make her get over it. If she could afford all this, then she must've been doing something right.

As the bus rolled up, Yuki adjusted the strap of her guitar case over her shoulder, strolling in to the open doors and silently finding a seat near the back. Thank god it wasn't crowded on this bus line usually. The screen of her phone flashed again and she sighed, glaring a little at the incessant hearts that Idiotsaeng kept sending her. Yup, definitely out to get free food. "What's the use of your stupid job if you can't pay for your own meals?"

Yuki twitched irritably, and quickly clicked out of the messages. Instead, she plugged her headphones into place, and slipped them over her ears, settling down to the beat of her favourite anime openings.

Ten minutes passed just like that. Travis had sent her a few more obnoxious messages telling her he was hungry, which bus stop he would meet her at, and complaining all the while that his noona wasn't replying to him and it made him sadfaced and honestly if the idiot was any less amusing than usual she was sure she would've turned off her phone by now. Her thoughts drifted toward the weird kid she had hung out with for so long, and their new plans.

They discussed it before -- the task of finding people to join their new group. Apparently Travis had a few ideas where to find such people, but Yuki.. she didn't. She wasn't the most liked person in her company both because her attitude and that she was Japanese. She knew less than a quarter of the trainees still in FNC, and probably most of them she knew because Travis had dropped by and well, that saeng could talk to a brick wall and make it interesting. She may share the same kind of role as Travis in leading this project, but what more could she do for it? Recruiting people just wasn't her thing, even though at some point it would have to be. That idiot saeng of hers certainly couldn't do so much by himself.

She sighed and glanced down at her phone, pausing the song on play and scrolling through her lists. A different kind of music though, struck her ears, and she blinked, slightly confused. Nope, still paused.. but this rapping.

She turned around and nearly smacked the poor girl sitting behind her with her arm. "You!"

Both her and the now startled brunette winced as shushes went through the bus, and Yuki grinned sheepishly, bowing her head and murmuring sorries all around to the other bus riders. Within a few seconds though, she had turned her attention back to the girl who had been rapping behind her, staring almost in awe. Someone up there had to be telling her that her fate was sealed, because this was a chance Yuki knew she had to take.

"Hey, you rap. You're really good at rapping too. Are you writing raps? Are you a part of a company?" If the girl could look anymore startled, she probably would've, but at the moment being bug eyed and scooting as far back in her seat from the half-blonde Japanese lady was the most she managed.

"W-woah slow down. I can't catch up! Yes I rap, yes I was rapping, yes I am but I'm quitting!" Yuki couldn't believe her luck. "Someone's watching over me."

The other girl shook her head a bit, trying to re-compose herself and taking a breath to calm down. "So.. uhm, what was that all about? I'm Byung Kyungsoon by the way." Kyungsoon bowed her head a bit, still blinking up at the other female.

"Yuki. Hanasawa Yuki, nice to meet you, but I have a big proposal for you. You're quitting your label right?"

Kyungsoon glanced off to the side, looking a little forlorn, but she nodded, managing a smile.

"Great!" Wait what? "Look, my idiot sa-- I mean friend, and I are making our own group. We both quit, and we're looking for talented people like you and seriously you should think about joining us, we're definitely going somewhere with this, by the way you're totally an amazing rapper. Understood?"

Because that babbling totally made sense. Good job Yuki. Inwardly cringing at her horrible propositioning, she tried at least to grin and look confident in her words. It wasn't entirely that she wasn't (okay no, she totally wasn't confident, this is Travis' stupid idea we're trying to go with), and confidence meant everything when trying to rope people into doing what you wanted them to. So confidence, yes.

Unfortunately the way that Kyungsoon was staring at her was whittling that away fast. The rapper's face was crossed somewhere between weirded out and contemplation. Well, at least she was thinking about it right? Right.

"So? Opinions? Thoughts?" She bit her lip lightly, urging the other on. Kyungsoon shut her eyes a bit, shaking out her head as if clearing her thoughts. She looked up at the blonde still staring her down.

"I think.." The words were coming without her actually thinking though. Her thoughts were lingering elsewhere. Lingering on a too familiar argument.

 

"You're doing what?!"

"You're being too loud oppa!" Hoya shook his head, appalled his friend even had the gall to call him out for shouting. "You're quitting! Exactly how did you expect me to take this?! Don't tell me to be quiet about this!"

"Hoya! Stop yelling at her, you're scaring the others!" Sunggyu reached and pulled the Hoya back, who had grabbed onto Kyungsoon in his shock.

"Let go of me, she can't quit! I won't let her!"

"It's my decision oppa!" She bit her lower lip harder, and shook off her anger. She had to be brave, she had to tell it to him firmly. She had been letting all this build for too long though, and the nerves were eating away at her. Even the optimism that carried her for six years couldn't last this long. Hoya stood back, staring at one of his closest friends.

"I have to quit. The kids need me."

"You're choosing the brats over your dreams?!"

"Don't call them that! That's not the only reason I'm quitting anyway!"

"Then explain it to me! Tell me why you're dropping out! This isn't like you Kyungsoon."

Kyungsoon shook her head. They had fought about this before. It was the same thing over and over -- her friends, her cousin, even Hoya. They all debuted before her; they all had their chances before she did. The memory of that article still haunted her. The ensuing fight's line still echoed in her head every night before bed.

"You said it yourself, I don't have the talent it takes to debut." Hoya winced visibly, the words stinging him because they were true. "We went over this, I didn't mean it. We were both angry." He took her shoulder, his anger at her decision dying out, leaving behind guilt. For debuting before her. For never understanding how she felt. For not being able to be the support she insists she doesn't need. "You still have a chance to debut. You can still do this." Kyungsoon shook her head.

"Not right now." She pushed his hand off her shoulder, forcing an uneasy smile. "I'm quitting Hoya-oppa. Tomorrow."

"This is your dream, Soon."

"I'll find a new one."

 

She lied. Because people like her don't give up dreams so easily.

"Think?" Yuki bit her lip again, a little nervous. Kyungsoon had gone pretty pale after she kept pushing on the subject. Had she driven the point a little too hard? She did just meet this girl. The rap bounced in her memory though, and she steeled her face. No, that rapping had to be a sign. That kind of talent doesn't come out of nowhere, and this chance definitely didn't just drop into her lap to be ignored.

A few seconds passed and Yuki reached out to tap the girl on the shoulder. As if by trigger, Kyungsoon jumped and made eye contact with the half-blonde. "Oh! Oh uh."

The memory flashed through her head again, and slowly Kyungsoon closed her lips. A sigh left her and she calmed down, gripping the shoulder that Hoya had held and that Yuki had tapped. "I think I have to think about this. But I think I'm also interested." She gave a smile to the now beaming Japanese girl.

"Great! Here, give me your number, I'll give you mine!" As the two exchanged phones, Kyungsoon blinked and glanced up at the other girl who was hastily entering her contact details. "Uh, Yuki-sshi. I think Idiotsaeng has something to say?"

"Oh, ignore that. I'm just making sure he starves until two is all." And with a grin, Yuki hands back Kyungsoon's phone, who kind of stares at her with a slight fear and awe.

 

a/n :: And we have Kyungsoon, JiminnieXiuminnie's character! I'm beginning to think I think weirdly, because the order that which I'm introducing the characters seems to be befuddling people haha. It makes sense in my plans though. There's a hint in the chapter as to who's being featured next~ Also, huge apology for the long time it took for me to release this chapter OTL It was hard to start for some reason, though I really enjoyed the flashback. Hosoon shipping anyone |D?

Side note, I generated the iphone graphic at this site --> link.

layout and chapter graphic by shirouen