03 : Limbo

Nabi

Take me to a place

that will have you

And I'll walk with you

Forever

 

          Zhang Yi Xing is used to seeing spirits. He discovered this (special ability? curse?) the day his grandfather died. Everybody was in a state hysteria, the head of the family has finally (after a painful ordeal) succumbed to cancer. It was a grueling six months, the elders were on the edge torn between waiting for the inevitable and watching the great Lu Wei’s body slowly deteriorate.

 

          His grandmother spends as much time as she can with her beloved. Never leaving his side and caring for him instead of leaving everything to the nurses. Yi Xing, being the curious child that he is, often sneaks into his grandfather’s bedchambers just to get a glimpse of him. One day, when he’s on his way to make his daily visit, he chances upon his grandfather standing near the koi pond on the south wing of the estate. The south wing only consist of small offices where most of the men in the household use to check the state of their family business. It’s not strange seeing his grandfather taking refuge on the small garden but Yi Xing thought his grandfather was too sick to even move.

 

          Yi Xing called his attention a few times but it looks like he was in deep thought, so Yi Xing dismissed this as one of those days when his grandfather, like most of the grown men in the household, is too engrossed with whatever it is that they’re thinking that he doesn't hear anything. He related this to his cousin as they were sitting in the East Wing’s veranda eating steamed buns.

 

          “I saw grandfather earlier…” Yi Xing starts his narration, mouth full of the steamed buns he and his cousin is fond of. “I tried to get his attention several times but it looks like he’s thinking very deeply…”

 

          “Grandfather? When did you see him?”

 

          “Earlier… While I was trying to hide from you…”

 

          “But that’s impossible… I went to his bedroom, both grandmother and grandfather was there sleeping… And besides, grandfather’s asleep most of the time… I don’t think he ever leave his room…”

 

          “But I did…”

 

          A few days after that incident, Yi Xing saw his grandfather again, this time on the East Wing’s Plum orchard. The trees aren't full grown yet and there aren't as many as they are at present. Seeing his grandfather in the garden wasn't weird for he has seen him everyday standing there staring at the moon ever since the day that the doctor has announced that he was in a coma. What was odd is that he’s seen his Uncle talking with his grandfather, and that specific Uncle died three years ago due to a rare disease. That same day, the house was in mourning.

 

       Zhang Yi Xing doesn’t think this was a burden. Most of the time he just ignores whoever it is that he sees and they do the same thing. They only bother him if they have a favor to ask, which is trivial most of the time. Humans are fickle, they get attach to material things so easily. But this time is different, this particular ghost is not just persistent, it’s also someone he knows and claims to not be dead.

 

        “Why are you here?” Yi Xing inquires the being that’s currently perched on his stool.

 

                  “I don’t know either… But believe me Xing Xing, I’m not dead yet…”

 

                “Not dead yet?! Then how do you explain this?” Yi Xing waves at the almost translucent body standing in front of him.

 

                “I’m not as dead as they are and you know it…” The ghost/spirit/being/entity whatever you might call it, stomps its feet.

 

                “Then go back to your body before you become one of them…”

 

                “I can’t… I mean, I tried…” There was a melancholic tone to the being’s voice. Somewhat resigned and Yi Xing can’t help but feel a pang of sympathy.

 

                “So what I heard from the old servants were true then…”

               
                “Ya! Zhang Yi Xing, do you want me dead?!”

 

                “Of course not… I’m not the type who would wish that… But you’re…”

 

                “I’ll try re-uniting with my body again later… For now let me meet him…”

 

                “Who?” Yi Xing dreads this particular request. He doesn’t need another incident like this, his co-worker already thinks he’s a bit insane.

 

                “My betrothed, who else…” a proud smile lights up the boy’s face. As enthusiastic as ever to see the object of his obsession.

 

                “He can’t see you, Lu Han… And besides he doesn’t have work today…”

 

                His cousin Lu Han (yes he’s being haunted by his own cousin), even in semi-visible form could throw a tantrum like when they were nine. Lu Han is actually older than him but when they were children he sometimes felt that he was older or they were the same age. Not that his cousin’s a brat, but Lu Han could go overboard on being playful at times.

 

                He tried ignoring his cousin throughout the day. This is actually the first time he had directly spoken to him. Unfortunately, after said cousin saw him speaking to one of the ghost who frequents the store (Yi Xing thinks this ghost might be a bit smitten with his boss because of the way it’s eyes goes as big as saucers everytime Kim Joon Myeon, unknowingly, comes near it). Lu Han decided to make himself known with a not so thrilling statement of:

 

                “I was the white butterfly…” Yi Xing shocked face made Lu Han’s eyes roll. “Zhang Yi Xing, I don’t need to explain these things to you, you can see… You’re supposed to know it was me…”

 

                “What?! You know, you dead people really should have name tags on you, human or butterfly form… I can’t differentiate everyone by their spots and you all keep insisting I’m forgetful… Try meeting tons of your kind in the street, see if you’d be able to remember…”

 

                “Your point, Yi Xing… Oh and again just a reminder, I’M NOT LIKE THEM, I’M NOT YET DEAD…”

 

                “My point is, how would I know it was you, when I know so little about your condition…”

 

                Lu Han has a way of making a person guilty like you’ve deprived a five year old sweets. He should’ve been well aware of it but not seeing his cousin for a long time makes him forget all this details. “You never came to visit after… the accident…”

 

                Yi Xing would be lying if he says he doesn’t miss the ancestral house, it’s not the actual house per se but everyone who lives there. He’s been in constant correspondence with his grandfather and their old nanny, that’s how he still get news of the household. As much as he wants to make a visit, guilt always takes over and he decides it’s not yet time.

 

                “Grandmother misses you, you know. Even if she doesn’t say it out loud…”

 

                Complete silence enveloped the both of them. Talking about the past weighs heavily on their shoulders, regardless if they were never really directly a part of it. Yi Xing decides he wants to bring his cousin back. The past can be forgotten for now. There are more important things to think about.

 

                “I’ll help you… I don’t know how… But we’ll figure it out…” His cousin’s face automatically lights up at his statement. “But under one condition…”

 

                Lu Han looks confused. He can’t think of anything that he could do in his recent state to be of consequence.

 

                “Stop asking me to introduce you to Min Seok-ge… I’m not going to scare the living daylights out of him…”

 

                “No… Yi Xing that’s not fair…” his cousin made a show of his disatisfaction by kicking the boxes he could reach while sitting down.

 

                “There would be a formal meeting, can you wait until then? We’ll get you back to your body before they perform the ceremony. Min Seok-ge is creeped out as it is, the prospect of marrying someone dead is already bothering him…”

 

                “Why are you so concerned about him, Yi Xing?”

 

                Yi Xing scoffs, expect his cousin to jump into stupid conclusions. “Min Seok-ge isn’t local, Lu Han… I think you’re probably aware of it… He has no idea of these things. And don’t lie to me, everyone in our family is scary…”

 

                “Fine… Where do we start?”

 

 

                Yi Xing looks around the backroom of the second-hand store. There must be something here somewhere that would help them. Maybe give them a start. The bad thing is, he doesn’t know where to look.

 

                “I’ll help!”

 

                A voice from nowhere startled them both. Yi Xing looks up and sees the resident perpetually startled ghost of the second-hand bookstore. This one has been around for a while. Eversince the Kim’s bought the building. According to Joon Myeon the feng shui masters doesn’t find this particular ghost a cause of panic, so the family lets him be. And if he wasn’t mistaken, said ghost is harbouring a bit of a crush towards the young owner.

 

                “First thing that you need to do is make sure you don’t crossover. Hearing that you’ve been set up for a spirit marriage, it wouldn’t take long for them to look for you…”

 

                “Them?” Lu Han looks at his cousin, waiting for some reassurance that they can trust whatever this ghost is saying. Yi Xing shrugs, he doesn’t have an answer for that question.

 

                The ghost, who introduces himself as Kyung Soo, glides towards the back part of the storage room where really old tomes no one is interested in (except Min Seok-ge) sits untouched. Still clean because Min Seok doesn’t let them get dusty.

 

                “Haven’t you heard about them? Do you not read about your own culture?” He points at a small book, yellowing and chafing at the sides. Yi Xing got up and took the book from the shelf. “This will help you… But you must beware of Ox-Head and Horse-Face… They might be after you… Well, it would be easier since they’re going to take you to that ermmm, person of sorts. But that also list you as one of the dead so… I suggest you go there by yourself. I could come with you, Kai’s very amiable with me, he’s the god of the dead. Do you have hell money?”

 

                Lu Han looks pissed as he reiterates yet again that he’s pretty much still alive. “My parents doesn’t have the need to burn me hell money…” he answered with gritted teeth.

 

                “Well, you would need it…” Kyung Soo shrugs. “Everything down there is moved by money…”

 

                “I’ll ask grandfather… He’s pretty… Affluent in the afterlife as well… Don’t worry about it Lu Han, I can even ask for a horse for you both…”

 

                Kyung Soo squeals with glee, the road towards Di Yu is trechearous. Horses make their journey faster. “Oh, I’m helping you because I have a favour to ask… Can you…” The ghost fiddles with his hand. Quite contrary from the strong personality he was brandishing earlier.

 

                “Joon Myeon never forgets to put offerings for you… He won’t forget your death day, I assure you that…” Yi Xing responds. He’s sure his boss would have a ceremony for his favourite ghost.

 

                Kyung Soo smiled widely, looking at Lu Han, he tilts his head in inquiry. “So are you ready to get your life back?”