01 : Honest Mistake

Nabi

Standing at the end of the street
A stranger yet familiar

 

                As uneventful as it may sound, Kim Min Seok’s day began normally. He woke up to the sound of his alarm at exactly 6 in the morning. Went through his daily morning routine of bathing and eating breakfast before heading to the Second-Hand Bookshop he works part-time at. It’s Friday and he doesn't have classes. Mostly, Friday’s a slow day at the shop and Yi Xing (his co-worker and friend) would blame this day for being ominous. Kim Min Seok understands superstitions. They have a few of their own in Korea. But actually having your life revolve around it is something he doesn't happily welcome. Unfortunately, he’s friends with one who not only believes in superstitions but also claim to see spirits.


                At first, he finds it odd that Yi Xing flinches at every little thing, he used to pass it off as a nervous tick. But, one day, he caught Yi Xing talking and trying to hit something using one of the shop’s old books. Before Min Seok can run and hide from potentially insane and rabid friend/co-worker, Yi Xing blurted out his secret. Min Seok, practical as he was, was waiting for a gong and free-flow of confetti to come out of nowhere and announce that he’s been had. However, nothing of that sort happened. There’s not a sound of a bell or a spray of confetti, just Yi Xing continuously hitting the air with the book in his hand.


                “You see… Well you probably can’t see him. He won’t let go of this book. He claims it’s his but it’s obviously not. The last time I saw him he was hanging around the Lim Family Estate, I saw him there too last year when he was still alive and I’m sure this person works for the Lim's… There’s no way he’d have a book as expensive as this…”Yi Xing finishes off his tale with a smile. “I’m not looking down on you, Uncle… But you shouldn't claim things as your own if it’s not really yours…”


                “Zhang Yi Xing… I’m about to proclaim you absolutely insane…” Min Seok squints his eyes, tries (but fails) to make out this old man Yi Xing has been talking about (and still hitting with vigor) but to no avail. 


                “We can let him borrow the book instead, right Ge? That won’t be a problem?” Min Seok nods his head in consent. He doesn't know if Yi Xing was telling the truth or had just eaten something bad for breakfast. But that was just the first of many odd encounters, so saying seeing was believing is a moot point when you have Zhang Yi Xing as a friend.


                Shaking off the memory, Min Seok opens the door to the second-hand bookshop only to be met with a familiar yellow strip of paper with ancient markings.


                “What the?!” he swiftly removed the slip of paper from his forehead and glared at the perpetrator.


                “I’m just being cautious, ge… Today’s a Friday and let’s not forget about that white butterfly that keeps coming in during your shift. You must have attracted a spirit…”


                “Stop saying nonsense, Yi Xing…” he let out a tired sigh. This is going to be a long shift, he thinks. Looking around the shop, there were new boxes near the counter. They don’t get deliveries during Fridays because Zhang Yi Xing’s weird and never twice in a week. The bookshop must be getting popular or a lot of people just don’t have a need for books anymore considering the current technology. Inspecting the boxes, he came across a familiar emblem.


                “From the Lu Family again? They seem to have a lot of spare books…” Min Seok opened the box and inspected them, just like before the boxes were filled with ancient journals dating back from the first emperor. He wonders why they’re giving such precious artifacts away. A book with silk binding caught his eye. This looked to be hand bound, opening the book he sees a collection of handwritten poems, the author unknown, only there was a drawing of a deer on every page  for each poem instead of the usual signature. The book looks interesting so he set it aside to read for later. Maybe he could ask the shop owner to loan it to him for the time being.


                “I heard the young master’s really sick…”


                “Huh?” he was too pre-occupied with scanning through the book pile, he hadn’t noticed Yi Xing was talking to him.


                “The young master of the Lu Household, I heard he caught a fever…”


                “I haven’t heard anything of the sort. Everything about that family is a secret. Where do you actually get this information?”


                “Old servants like to gossip…”


                “Old servants? But none of the Lu Estate servants ever talk to anyone…”


                Yi Xing’s sheepish smile made him realize that the latter wasn't talking about the breathing kind of servants at that household.


                “His old nanny loves him dearly, but she’s already past her time, reluctantly, she left the young master’s side two years ago, but she still goes back to the household to check on him… And that’s how I found out…” Yi Xing tells these kinds of stories as if they were mundane.


                “So, the son is sick, is that why they’re dumping all their books here?  Are they expecting the worst?” Min Seok knows the feeling of loss, maybe this is their way of accepting their son’s fate.


                “I hope not, Auntie said that the young master loves to read, he’d be sad to know he no longer has his books…” Yi Xing gave a dramatic sigh. Sometimes his friend is too nice for his own good.


                “Don’t worry, I’ll ask the shop owner to just keep the books inside the boxes for the meantime… Just in case the family decided they want them back…” 


                “That’s a good idea, ge… The young master would be glad…”


                “What? Did you just—“


                “Forget it, ge… It’s nothing… You misunderstood. We better put these boxes out back so no one would be curious to look at them.”


                Yi Xing proceeded to put the boxes in the backroom together with the other boxes that the Lu Family has sent them Monday. The silk covered poem book was left on a stool. He had the urge to call Yi Xing and tell him about the book but decided to keep it for now. He’ll read through it tomorrow and return it after.

~0~

 

                Kim Min Seok is heading home late that same day (too many books to sort and a clumsy Yi Xing to keep away from the storage area), the sun has set and the street lamps illuminated the street towards his apartment. As he was passing through the well-off parts of the city, he spied something red on the ground. Curious as to what it is, he moved closer and discovered it was a hong bao. Who would leave something as important as a New Year’s money envelope lying on the ground? He suppressed the urge to peek inside the envelope. He is an honest man and he won’t succumb to temptation. He’s sure that this belongs to someone from one of these grand houses.


                He looked at the house in front of him, it wouldn't hurt to ask. He approached the grand mansion and knocked on the brass knocker. The house was enormous, it almost covers the expanse of the entire street.  Traditional Chinese in built unlike most of the western-styled houses that flocked it left and right.


                A middle-aged woman with lovely features opened the door slightly, she was dressed in traditional clothing as well, and for a brief second Min Seok felt like he was in ancient China, instead of the present time. He mentally shook the thoughts away, this is what you get when you read too much classics. The woman looked anxious and she keeps glancing back at the house.


                “I apologize, but someone dropped this in front of your house, I was wondering if it’s owned by anyone from your household?”


                The woman looked at the hong bao and then at him. Min Seok thinks he might’ve insulted the family. For sure, a household as rich as this, would have no need of a measly hong bao. Preparing himself for a well-deserved scolding, he faintly heard the woman’s voice and pale hands taking the hong bao.


                “Thank you, Auntie must’ve dropped it on her way to the seamstress…” Her voice was soft, like silk and faint as if she was afraid someone would hear her.


                “Ah, it was nothing. I’ll take my leave now…” Everything seemed surreal. Dream-like. Or maybe he’s just tired. Sleep will help. He shook the odd feeling and started walking towards home. A few distances away from the mansion, he can hear the faint sound of chatter. The Auntie must’ve been relieved to get her hong bao back. He felt proud of himself. Little did he know that his honesty would lead him to the strange.