11 : The God That Guards The Gate

Nabi

Guide me and take me together with you

To the place where you live

Even if the world ends, I’ll follow from behind you

So please don’t go out of my sight

 

“Our journey has come to an end…”

 

Finally! Lu Han releases a sigh of relief. They’ve crossed deserts upon deserts seemingly without end. The huge fortress that looms over him taunts him. But he’s determined to see it through.

 

Dreams are obscure, mostly illusions the unconscious mind stirs up. Though the conversations he had with Min Seok (he insist on being called that instead of Xiu Min, while it takes getting used to he finds it endearing) fuels him. Someone is waiting for his return. He realizes that the thought is more powerful than any motivation his fuzzy brain comes up with.

 

He looks to his companion, thankful that he has seen through this journey with him. Without the wide-eyed ghost he’d be lost, probably preyed upon by hungry ghost intent to rob the newcomers.

 

Yi Xing has warned him about having more than enough knowledge of the other world. It is safer for him to know as little as possible; that way his soul would be rooted to the human world. Curiosity is not something Lu Han could easily avoid still he tried his best not to ask too many questions.

 

Questions about odd looking creatures they have encountered flood his mind. He’d probably try to look for books about them when he returns to the living. The place swarms of unusual looking things, most of them too bizarre for his liking. There are normal looking humans, translucent ones wandering aimlessly.

 

These, he finds out, are lost souls. Those who have nothing that connects them to the living and nothing waiting for them in the world of the dead. They don’t get offerings of their own so they fight over temple offerings. Lu Han remembers the festival of ghosts, a month where they’re allowed to come to the human world. These souls would have a chance to eat to their non-existent hearts’ content but until then they’ll be fighting to survive here as well.

 

Kyung Soo was once one of them he has told Lu Han as much. Not until the son of the current owner of the second-hand bookshop decided to honour his death. The ghost wishes to repay him, promises to find a way to give back the kindness and maybe stay with him forever. It was never outwardly spoken but Lu Han can see it in the way Kyung Soo says Joon Myeon’s name with a mix of gratitude and fondness.

 

“I’d be able to repay Joon Myeon at last… And get my wish…”

 

Lu Han notices too late the evil glint in his companion’s eyes. As the doors to the fortress opens, Kyung Soo has both his hands in a deadlock, tied with the ropes they use for the horses.

 

“I’ve brought what you’ve been looking for…” The ghost declared.

 

Ancient Chinese warriors line up the entrance leading towards the grandiose house with red lacquered roofs decorated with ornamental dragons. Whoever is living in this mansion clearly lacks taste.

 

Lu Han looks at Kyung Soo with defiance. The latter whispers a mocking ‘sorry’.

 

Once they’ve entered the main chamber, two guards escorted them towards a similarly tacky looking tea room. The painting of a blue dragon on the lattice walls perfectly surrounds the tiny room. Dragons are placed in a room for protection, here it’s meant to intimidate.

 

“He’s here…”

 

He was presented like a piece of meat. The guy sitting in front of him disgusts him upon first sight. Garbed in an opulent attire of flowing silks and display of the copious amounts of wealth offends him.

 

Souls outside of this great house are left starving and this petty low life gets to live off of bribes from those who can afford them. The rich becomes richer and the poor becomes poorer even in the afterlife.

 

“I don’t know what you are up to but I only came here to look for the judge of the underworld… I have no time for this, whatever this is.”

 

The owner of the house continues to sip his tea leisurely, ignoring his visitor’s demands. When he did finally set his cup down; a lazy smile forms on his lips. The hair on Lu Han’s arms rises in goosebumps. He has a feeling whatever he’ll say would not bode well for him.

 

“I am he…” the person declares, looking straight into Lu Han’s eyes. “Welcome to the Ghost City, o sacred one.”

 

“What are you on about? Release me now… I’m only here to find out how to get back to my body…”

 

“There’s no need for it… You see, a being like you would not have a need for it…”

 

Lu Han’s situation is getting odder and odder.

 

~0~

 

It was a Tuesday after his shift at the bookstore ended. The day before he has decided he’ll be going back to the Lu Mansion, with or without an invitation, delaying another chance to speak with his aunt. He’s aware that his aunt knows more about the whole situation than he gives her credit for. Min Seok still doesn’t know exactly how to broach the subject. It’s important that he finds out what was inside the package that she has sent him for the tea ceremony.

 

His aunt is currently sitting in their living room, the TV on in the background, knitting him another sweater, he thinks. She’s the only family he’s known since his parents died. Everything and everybody else were forgotten, not that there were a lot to remember.

 

“I know you have questions, I won’t promise that I can answer all of them but I’ll try ...”

 

Now standing by the door, looking at his aunt’s weary face he felt guilt. Guilt for keeping secrets from the only family he has ever known for a few years now. But more for making her remember things, incidents that are clearly painful to her. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you earlier...”

 

“It’s okay… Things like that are never going to stay hidden forever…” His aunt motions for him to sit down. He’s getting answers at last.

 

“By any chance, does our family have connections with the Lu’s?”

 

His aunt nods. Stopping her knitting, she reclines into her wing-backed chair, closing her eyes. She looks a few years older than she really is.

 

“How?”

 

“Our families—“

 

The revelation was interrupted by an insistent knock on their door. Min Seok doesn’t have an idea who it could be. The knocks grew more insistent a few seconds later.

 

“Min Seok-ge! I need your help!”

 

“Yi Xing?”

 

“Go on and open the door for your friend. There’s plenty of time for stories…”

 

Upon opening the door, Yi Xing latches onto his arm. Sweat stains dotted his shirt and he’s heaving like his run all the way to Min Seok’s house from his apartment.

 

“What’s the matter, Yi Xing?”

 

“You need to come with me… to the Lu mansion… The map… It’s not… Lu Han has stopped—“

 

Kim Min Seok’s heart lurches to his throat, dread creeps through his entire body.

 

a/n: I did put this on HIATUS, but the fic won't leave me alone. Inspiration can be found in weird places they say. The weirder the better xD

 

You might notice that the tone of this update is different from the previous chapters... I haven't touched this story for almost two years. I know two years is such a long time to keep readers waiting.

 

The next updates will be lagging as usual. But rest assured that this fic would find it's end.

 

I just need to match the old chappies tone with the new ones so it wouldn't feel odd for you who have read this before.

 

Thank you for the patience.