09: An Ancient Family’s Household Secrets - Part I

Nabi

The small fluttering of your wings

Seemed like it was telling me to follow you.

The sad eyes and tacit stories

In your eyes that night

 

 

                He sits at an isolated part of the second-hand bookshop. It’s a slow day, Wednesday. Exactly a week after the disastrous non-tea ceremony. He hasn’t talked to anyone about it, avoided both people that has knowledge that that certain day existed. He’s no longer scared of his dreams, mostly because the young man has stopped the visits. It doesn’t bother him, he tries to convince himself. He’s been rude the last time they met. He justifies that he has the right to be, but he did not need to be harsh. The young man must really be lonely. He wants to apologize but he doesn’t know how to.

 

                He the cover of the poem book he has acquired since the books from the Lu Household started coming. He guesses that’s when everything began.

 

                “I’m the white butterfly…”

 

                He remembers the young man blurting out in a panic and a wave of guilt fills him again as he recalls his harsh treatment towards the said person. He looks down at the poem book intending to do a bit of reading to distract himself. He knows he needs to make a decision. The tea invitation that he’s waiting for might never come, but he will wait.

 

                He opens the book to a random page, hoping to get something, anything as a sort of advice (-- an anchor he wants to hold on to because he feels like everything is going to fall apart).

 

                He reads the unfamiliar poem out loud, trying to make sense of it. It clearly doesn’t lead him to anything. He sighs heavily closing the poem book. His break doesn’t end ‘till a few minutes but he thinks work awaits.

 

                He was about to move from his position when one of the people he’s trying to avoid keeps him seated.

 

                “Long time no see, ge… I understand why you’re avoiding me and please don’t tell me otherwise…” Yi Xing sits next to him. Taking the poem book out of his hands and flipping through the pages. Yi Xing smiles as he sees the familiar deer stamp on each page. “Do you know who owns this journal?”

 

                “No…” taking the book back from Yi Xing. “It’s interesting…”

 

                “It might be the reason why he’s able to communicate with you in dreams…”

 

                “Huh?”

 

                “You have something of his… its Lu Han’s poem book…”

 

                “Lu Han…” Min Seok tries the name, it’s unfamiliar. But he can put a face on it. The guilt rolls back in like a wave.

 

                 Yi Xing looks at a certain corner of the bookstore and his smile grew wider. “Do you want to hear a really interesting story? Our old nanny tells really nice ones…”

 

                He looks at the same spot Yi Xing is looking but sees nothing, he doesn’t expect to. Still he tries. This time he wants to understand.

 

                “Once upon a time, she says…” Yi Xing glances at him waiting for a sign that he wants the former to continue.

 

                 He focuses his gaze on the far corner. Just looking, she’s there he tells himself and gives her a wide smile. He can’t see but he answers, “I’d like to hear your story…”

 

                Once upon a time there was a man named Lu Chong. Lu was a son of a very prominent businessman in the principality of Fan Yang. The day before the winter solstice when Lu has turned twenty, he went out in a westerly direction to hunt. He sighted a deer and tried to strike it down with his arrow but he missed and the deer gave chase. A few hundred yards ahead of him, a large tiled mansion looking more like a government office appeared. The deer was forgotten and the guard at the gate called out at his approach.

 

                The house turned out to be of the imperial custodian. The guard invited him inside telling him that his arrival was anticipated. Lu Chong refused the invitation, a bit self-conscious of his attire. Feeling undeserving to step into the grand mansion in his shabby clothes.

 

                Someone comes out of from the gate, bearing expensive silk garments. Presenting it to Lu Chang, a gift from the head of the house the servant says. The young man immediately changed into the attire that was given to him. He went to see the imperial custodian soon after.

 

                A few introductions were made and as they make conversation, food and drinks were served. There wasn’t anything out of place about the house or the people but Lu Chong noticed that the servants seem to appear out of nowhere. He doesn’t hear the usual ruckus of people milling about or the noise of a feast being prepared. Even the smell seems muted. He associates this with how every servant in the house must be trained to be discrete, to not have their presence known. He applauds the head of the house for being really thorough.

 

                After they had drunk and eaten several courses. His host divulge the reason for the invitation. It turns out that Lu’s late father has recently honoured the imperial house by sending a letter to ask for the imperial custodian’s daughter’s hand for marriage to his only son.

 

                Lu Chong doubts this at first, his father has been dead a long time ago and his mother hasn’t mentioned any marriage arrangements. The imperial custodian seems to sense his doubts, he asked a servant to present Lu Chang the letter from his father.

 

                Though he had been a child when his father died, he could recognize the writing. Moved that his father has made plans for his future before he died, he consented.

 

                The wedding was set for the same day. The imperial custodian sent a message to the inner chambers that Lu Chang has arrived and his daughter should dress for the wedding. By dusk word came from within that the girl was ready. When Lu Chong entered the east chamber, she was stepping down from her carriage wearing the traditional red garments. It was the first time Lu Chong was seeing her. The girl looks shy and would not look directly at him and he hates tradition sometimes.

 

                She has a certain calming air to her. Lu Chong admires her simplicity and how well she carries herself. Though it’s to be expected of someone from an upbringing such as hers. Lu Chong deems himself to have fallen in love at first sight. He doesn’t know if his bride feels the same. If the shaking of hands and her pale colour is an indication then he’s confident to say she has.

 

                The ceremony was based on tradition. They stood on the carpet and bowed together three times as per custom.  He stayed for three days with the family.

 

                The last words he heard from his now father-in-law was “I fancy my daughter has conceived if and when she gives birth to a son, rest assured we will send him to you. And as promised if it’s a daughter, we will keep her ourselves…”

 

                Kim Min Seok looks at the book on his hand. Yi Xing’s voice continues to narrate the story. Weirdly though, he thinks he could actually hear the old woman’s voice relating the story instead of Yi Xing.

 

                “Ge? Is it becoming too much?” Yi Xing probably noticed his blank gaze.

 

                “No… Please tell her to continue… I want to hear more…”

 

 

a/n: yes, continuing this too..

 

Late a/n: for some reason this chapter was hidden so please read part 1 first to understand part 2..