14: The Night of Sevens

Nabi

The Night of Sevens

Chapter Fourteen

 

Stop, it will wet your wings

 

He was told that his parents met during the inauspicious month of the Dead, the same time the cowherd reunites with the weaving maiden. That would have warned everyone of how ill-fated the meeting would be.

 

Throughout his young age he’s been told about the tale of the Cowherd and the Weaving Maiden, regaled by how they meet once in a year on the seventh day of the seventh month in between the silver river standing on a bridge of magpies. The tale, regardless of its many versions, has always fascinated Yi Xing; compensating it for stories about his parents that people in his family would never tell.

 

He knows his grandfather has been keeping secrets from him. As much as he wants to believe that his grandfather is a confidant, there are certain things that they never talk about even when he asks questions.

 

Though today, Yi Xing thinks it’s about time he answers them.

 

“What did the god of the dead need from Lu Han or this person he has mistaken him for?” Min Seok inquires.

 

“Are you familiar with the story of the cowherd the weaving maiden, Xiu Min?”

 

Min Seok looks at his friend. The story has been told to him by Yi Xing several times. His friend seems to be fond of hearing the story, narrating it regardless of the annoyed audience. The Lu Head appears to be waiting for an answer so he nods.

 

“You’ve joined the festivities for it I assume?”

 

“Yes...”

 

“Why am I not allowed to?” Yi Xing whispers. “The family has kept me inside during the Qi Xi Festivals. I’m never allowed out during the week of the dead. You never let me...”

“There are things that I wish to have explained to you earlier. To avoid confusing you, we’ve kept you in the dark. Your grandmother and I thought it’ll be best for you.”

 

“To have my mother keep secrets from me? To have everyone tell me that I have a wastrel for a father? For me not to be able to defend him?”

 

Yi Xing’s voice is quiet, though the suppressed anger and hurt is evident. In all the years they’ve been friends, this is the first time Kim Min Seok has seen Yi Xing in this state. He feels the need to excuse himself; this is a private family matter. He shouldn’t be hearing it.

 

“Grandson, you need to understand this. I will never wish for you to feel whatever it is your feeling right now. I am aware that you want to know everything. Only one person can give you the answers that seek...”

 

“My Dad... You’ve said that a million times before. I waited, no one ever comes.”

 

“He visits this place every now and again. Although he doesn’t stay longer than necessary, the air here affects him immensely. He told me you might be coming...”

 

“Why hasn’t he... Why didn’t he come to visit me then? I only remember vague memories of him. Birthdays where I’ve wished for certain things and it would be there in the morning… Of someone paying for my education. He’s met with everyone except for me… Can you give me an answer for that?”

 

“You know his... work... wouldn’t let him. He cares about you a lot. Your safety is of utmost importance to him.”

 

“My safety?”

 

The usual quiet surrounding the ancestral house disappears, replaced by the sound of heavy marching. The terracotta guards are on the move again. A guest must be at the entrance, Min Seok assumes. True enough, a person in flowing robes appears at the entry way of Yi Xing’s Grandfather’s study.

 

Kim Min Seok has never seen anyone as regal as their current host. This is not an ordinary spirit. The air around them somewhat felt lighter, less hazy. It’s as if this spirit’s actual presence is cleansing everything.

 

“A word of greeting.”

 

“I didn’t expect a visit…” Yi Xing’s grandfather answers.

 

The guest’s smile is mysterious. His eyes currently trained on his friend.

 

“It’s been ages…”

 

Could this person be—

 

“I’m most honoured to finally be of acquaintance with Young Master Yi Xing.

 

Politeness is a trait deeply engraved in Yi Xing’s subconscious, springing out regardless of the current situation. Standing up and bowing towards the new comer. As Yi Xing straightens up, a puzzled look appears on his face. “I do not mean to be offend but who—“

 

The guest laughs, a booming sound filling the entire room.

 

“You can never offend this one. I should have the presence of mind to introduce myself to the young master first.” The old man bowed lower than Yi Xing did. “I manage the heavenly palace and am keeper of the palace gates, Wang. More known to humans as Lingquan.”

 

“Heaven? Aren’t you not allowed here… Here being…” Min Seok inquires.

 

“I understand your confusion, dear one. My Master’s attendance was required, thus our presence.”

 

“Your Master?” Min Seok continues with his questions, curiosity getting the best of him.

 

“Always one to prefer grand entrances…” The Lu Patriarch scoffs as he stood up, walking towards the room’s entrance.

 

“Never as grand as yours, Father-In-Law…”

 

Someone wearing flowing robes that glows, iridescent appeared by the door. He seems to be floating like everyone else in this house. But this isn’t like any presence he’s seen. It’s like looking at a deity.

 

“The Jade Emperor…” Yi Xing whispers, confirming Min Seok’s guess. “What is the god of heaven doing in Di Yu?”

 

“Visiting my son… And maybe try to save the day…” the god joked.

 

“You—“ The ability to speak momentarily leaving Yi Xing as he stares wide-eyed at the deity before him.

 

“You were never ordinary, Yi Xing. I’ve long since wanted to tell you. Your Mother wishes for you to have a normal life…”

 

Yi Xing raises his eyebrow at this. He never was normal, seeing ghost doesn’t count as a standard way of living.

 

“As normal as you can be. Your grandparents helped make sure of that. I hope you eliminate any doubts you have with your grandmother. She acted the way she did because she has to.”

 

“I’ve long been an adult, why did you not tell me all of this. Mother died without a chance of telling me, she speaks fondly of you. One of the reasons why I never hated you regardless of your absence. I barely remember you. They’ve bad-mouthed of you countless of times and I know nothing about you to repel them.”

 

Kim Min Seok has read about the Jade King in various writings. All different from one another. He’s neither young or old but is always playful, of a carefree nature but very fickle. The shock of finding out his friend might not actually be human, no less a god is momentarily forgotten at the god’s presence.

 

He, someone alive, met the Jade Emperor. Wrong thought considering there’s a father and son confrontation going on in front of him.

 

The deity smiles, signaling for his entourage to leave them alone. As the door closes, Yi Xing’s father magically changes into ordinary clothes with the wave of his hand. He sits right next to his friend, patting Yi Xing’s head as though he’s a child.

 

“Men has always said foul things about us, we never mind them. Those who believes are the ones that keeps us alive, those people we listen to.”

 

“That doesn’t make sense to me… And what am I even?” Yi Xing sounds sulky.

 

“The bridge that connects Heaven and Earth…”

 

His friend is clearly unimpressed by the statement. “Am I magpie now?”

 

“You are Love, Yi Xing. Most importantly, you are my son. Your mere presence scares evil. That’s why keeping you clueless makes you safer than you having knowledge of it. Without your grandparents protection every evil soul would be after you.”

 

“I— “

 

“Wait… Then what does all this have to do with Lu Han?” Min Seok had to ask. What does the god of the dead want from him? “Is he also—“

 

“An unfortunate thing. He’s been mistaken for Yi Xing.”

 

“So, all of this because they were given the wrong information?”

 

“That’s something I would need to discuss with the Elder Lu. For now, I’m aware that my son has questions. If you don’t mind, I’d like to answer them.”

 

This time the Lu Patriarch stood up ushering Min Seok out of the room. He admits he is curious but it’s a family matter, he has eavesdropped enough.