My First Noraebang

Seoul Music

No… I thought, no way. I’m just grateful to him for what happened the other day. I shook my head and tried to stop thinking about it. But I looked over at Namjoon. Taehyung said something funny and the rest of the guys laughed. Even from that distance, Namjoon’s smile made my heart pound.

“Day dreaming?” Krystal suddenly said behind me. I flinched. I hadn’t even realized she was there.

“Uh… kind of,” I admitted. I could feel my cheeks burn so I pulled out my phone and started taking pictures of the view as a distraction.

“Who about?” she asked.

“No one,” I said a bit too quickly as I snapped another picture.

“Uh-huh,” she said, not seeming to believe me, “I won’t force you to tell me here. But you will tell me!” She poked my side teasingly.

“Okay, okay,” I laughed.

I looked through a couple of pictures, chose the best one and edited it. The view from Namsan tower, I started to type, I wish you were here Cam! You would love it.

“Let’s go join the others,” Krystal said.

“Okay,” I said nervously holding onto the strap of my purse.

 


 

It was the first time I had ever been in a Noraebang. Jimin swore to all of us that it was the best one in the city, and I had to admit it did seem pretty nice for the price. As we sat down, I looked over at Namjoon. He was sitting in the middle of the booth seat between Hoseok and Jin.

“So who’s gonna go first?” Jimin said, rubbing his hand together.

“Since you asked,” Taehyung said with a evil grin, “You should go first?”

“Me,” Jimin said pointing to himself as he widened his eyes.

It wasn’t like I hadn’t heard his somewhat high voice before, but it was the first time I realized it was actually kind of a cute voice for a guy.

“Yeah,” Hoseok said and laughed, “Highest voices go first.”

“Ya!” Jimin said, playfully shaking his fist at him.

“We want to hear your voice,” I said and smiled.

He put his hand under his chin and smirked proudly. “Alright, if you all just keep begging me, I guess I’ll have to.”

He went up to the machine and picked out a song. He picked out a medium tempo song that had a sway-ish flow to it. I found myself waiting eagerly for him to start. He brought the mic to his lips and started to sing. My eyes widened. He always goofed off, so I hadn’t actually expected him to be very good, but I was dead wrong. His voice was high, but it was smooth and he could hit pretty high notes.

When he finished and bowed to the audience, I clapped furiously.

“So how did I do?” he said when we stopped.

“That was great!” I said, “You have a nice voice.”

“You actually surprised me,” Krystal said.

“Me too!” I agreed and nodded.

“Hey,” Taehyung said, “If you keep praising him, his head will get so big it’ll explode.”

Everyone burst out laughing as Jimin started pouting.

“It’s the one of the girls’ turn,” Jin said, staring each of us down.

We all looked at each other. “How about we sing together?” Krystal suggested.

I was suddenly nervous. “Um… why don’t the three of you go? I’ll sing later.”

“Aww, come on noona,” Jongkuk said.

“You promise you’ll sing later?” Krystal said.

I nodded and smiled. Her, Elly and Hyosung stood up and picked out a song. It was by one of my favorite girl groups. As they all sang the song, I quietly sang along at my seat. The rap part came and Elly took over. The guys had been right. She was really amazing! She had a bit deeper of a voice than most of the female Korean rappers I had heard and it was very different.

“Elly, are really good!” I said when they finished, “You all did great!”

“Thanks,” they all said and sat back down next to me.

“Alright, our turn guys,” Jin said, flashing us girls all a smile. He drug Taehyung, Hoseok, Jungkook, and Jimin up with him.

I laughed when I realized that he picked a Girls’ Generation song. They all started with their backs turned. Then as Jin started singing first, he turned around and the other guys followed. They all danced along singing “Gee, gee, gee, gee, baby, baby, baby.” I couldn’t help but laugh. They were doing so well on the dance and song it was funny. But the time they finished, I was almost crying from laughter. They all bowed in sync with each other and we clapped.

“Aila’s turn,” Krystal said, trying to shove me out of my seat.

I was so nervous I felt like I could die, but I finally got out of my seat. Just as I did, the door opened and Yoonggi entered.

“Wasseo (you’re here)?” Hoseok said.

“Hi,” he said and walked over to the other side of the table to sit with the guys.

“I called him,” Namjoon said.

“He only came because it’s practice,” Jin said shaking his head with a playful glare.

“Ah, well why don’t we let him go first,” I said, hoping to postpone the spotlight a bit longer.

“We can go first if you want,” Namjoon offered. He got out of his seat and drug Yoonggi up with him.

I was happily surprised when they picked one of my favorite songs, Walking in the Rain by Verbal Jint and Bumkey. I was even more surprised when Namjoon sang rather than rapped. He actually had a very good voice. I felt myself melting while I listened.

Yoonggi rapped next and I was taken off guard again. His rap was one of the most unique I had ever heard. He didn’t have a super deep voice, but it wasn’t high either. It was the middle of the road and he did creative things with the words, sinking into low notes and throwing a high note in the middle.

I swayed back and forth with the song, lost in their harmonious voices. But all too soon, the song was over.

“Nice job!” Krystal said.

I just smiled and gave them a thumbs up. I was afraid to speak, my heart was beating so much.

“Alright,” Hyosung said poking my arm, “Your turn. And no getting out of it this time.”

Dang it. I stood up shakily and took a deep breath. I was nervous, not so much from a lack of ability, but because of my voice. I flipped through the songs. “Assa (yes)!” I said. They had the song I was looking for.

When the song started to play, I could see that everyone in the group was a bit puzzled. It made me freeze, so I quickly turned around and looked at the screen to make sure I got the words right. I knew why they gave me that my look; it wasn’t a song by a female singer, it was a guy group. My voice was much deeper than most Korean girls, so I was able to sing the ranges of guys’ songs better.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath as I sung the first part I knew so well. I tried to focus on my voice and the words of the song. “I lost my mind,” I sang soulfully. What is Love by Exo was possibly my favorite slow song in the whole world. I swayed back and forth as I sang, trying to not think about the group of 10 people sitting behind me. The song came to an end and I hardly noticed it. I could feel my face burning I was so scared, but finally I got the nerve to turn around.

Everyone stared at me with blank faces, blinking in silence.

Oh no, I thought, was I that bad? I put my fist up to my lips and looked at them.

“That was…” Krystal started to say.

“That was amazing, noona!” Jungkook said, smiling from ear to ear.

 


Notes:

Hi guys! I just want to thank you sooooo much for reading! 10 subscribers already!

You make me all so happy XD I love the comments too! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Also I wanted to say, sorry if it seems to be going a bit slow. The next chapter will definitely get the story rolling a bit more I think.

Thanks again for reading and I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

~ Serin ~