Saved

Seoul Music

I folded my body in half, feeling the stretch in my calves as I put my palms on the floor and kept my legs straight.

“Nice job,” Mr. Shin said as he passed me. We were all warming up for P.E. class and he was making sure we all were stretching. “You are pretty flexible.” I could tell from his inflection that he seemed impressed.

“Uh, thanks,” I said, not sure how to take the odd compliment.

“Alright class,” he said, stepping in the middle of the circle we had formed. “You’re done with stretching.”

I stood up and I could see moving dots from all the blood that had rushed to my head. I shook my head slightly and eventually they disappeared. I noticed someone waving at me from the other side of the circle. It was Jungkook, who I hadn’t realized was in our class until after I met him. I smiled and did a small wave back.

“Today,” Mr. Shin continued, “we are going to be playing soccer outside since the weather is nice.” I could see Jungkook pump his fist happily. “Jungkook and… Krystal. You can pick teams.”

“Yes!” Jungkook said. Him and Krystal stepped out into the front of the group. After a coin toss, Jungkook got first pick.

“I pick Aila Noona!” he said.

I cocked my head in surprise. It wasn’t that I was bad at sports, but I wasn’t usually anyone’s first pick. I chuckled silently that he had called me “Noona” again. It was adorable and odd at the same time since I couldn’t get it through my head that he was actually younger than me. I crossed the gym to stand next to him.

“Ya!” Krystal said, “you stole my first pick!”

“Then you should have won the coin toss,” Jungkook said with a playful smile.

“Hmph,” Krystal puffed as she crossed her arms, “I pick Elly then.”

As the two of them picked out the rest of their teams, I realized that Namjoon was actually in gym clothes and seemed like he was going to participate. He had on basketball shorts and a plain t-shirt, just like everyone else. He also had his glasses off, like they day I had met him at the airport. When he didn’t have his sunglasses on, I couldn’t see why anyone would think he looked scary.

“Namjoon hyung,” Jungkook said, picking him to be on our team.

He strode over with his hands stuffed in the pockets of his shorts.

I took a deep breath and decided to talk to him. “You’re going to participate today?”

He looked over, taking a second to realize I was talking to him. He nodded quickly.

“Ah,” I said and nodded slowly. I twiddled my fingers.

“I was sick last week,” he explained.

So that was it, I thought. “I see,” I said.

“Alright,” Mr. Shin said, “let’s head outside.”

We all filed out of the gym and took the short trek out to the soccer field. It was sort of in the middle of everything; three buildings were on the sides and the back had trees near a fence at the back of the campus.

We began to play and I aggressively went after the ball. I could see some of the guys’ looks of surprise, as well as that of Krystal and Elly. But the girls’ expressions quickly turned to smiles. Krystal was quick; she raced across the field to meet me in front of the goal and successfully blocked my shot.

“Nice!” I said to her and smiled, “that was a good block.”

“Thanks,” she said and smirked back playfully, “It’s nice to have another girl to compete with.”

The opposite team’s goalie kicked the ball to middle field and the battle began again. I raced over to it, just in time to stop Jungkook from racing down the field with the ball. I watched his feet as he dribbled the ball around. He was really good. He looked up at me and smiled, distracting me for just long enough that he whipped past me with the ball. I spun around and chased after. Another of my teammates rushed to defend Jungkook’s front and I rushed up to guard the back.

Suddenly, one of Jungkook’s teammates sprinted up as Jungkook started to take off with the ball and I tripped over the teammate’s foot. I lunged forward, running into someone that was standing there. The person caught my shoulders and helped steady me. When I was back on my feet, I looked up to see that it was Namjoon.

I could feel my face redden with embarrassment. “Thanks,” I said quietly.

“Are you okay?” he asked.

I just nodded. I looked up and saw Mr. Shin jogging over to us. “Are you okay?” he said, putting a hand on my shoulder, “why don’t you sit out for a bit?”

“Aniyo (no). Gwaenchanhayo (I’m fine). Really, I can still play.”

“Alright,” he said, finally taking his hand off my shoulder. He snapped his fingers. “That’s right, I have something I’d like to discuss with you after school. Could you meet me at my office?”

I raised an eyebrow slightly. “Sure.”

“Great,” Mr. Shin said and smiled, “See you then.”

As he walked away, I looked up at Namjoon. He was watching Mr. Shin but then he turned to look at me with an odd look.

“What is it?” I asked.

He started to say something, but apparently changed his mind. “It’s nothing,” he said shaking his head. He walked over to rejoin his team.

What was that about? I thought. I just shrugged and ran over to get ready to play again.

 


 

“We have our first club meeting today for the sports club,” Elly reminded me on our way out of the gym.

“Yeah!” Krystal said, “you have to come, okay?”

“Okay,” I said, “Oh wait, that’s right! I have to meet with Mr. Shin after my last class.”

Krystal raised an eyebrow. “What for?”

I shrugged. “He said he wanted to talk to me about something.”

“Okay,” Krystal said, “but come to the meeting right after that, alright?”

“I will,” I said and smiled, “See you guys later!” I waved goodbye as we went our separate ways.

“Aila noona!” Jungkook suddenly shouted as he ran over to catch up with me, “wait up!”

I stopped and turned to look at him.

He smiled. “My next class is this way too. Let’s walk together.”

“Okay.”

“You are really good at soccer,” he said.

“You weren’t so bad yourself.”

“Thanks,” he said, beaming, “I actually play for our school’s team.”

“Jinchayo (really)? Well I can definitely tell.”

As we were walking down the hallway, a person suddenly popped out from around the corner in front of us, and I flinched.

“Boo!” Jimin said and smiled mischievously.

I took a deep breath of relief. I didn’t usually get scared very easily, but he had totally caught me off guard. I punched his arm lightly. “You scared me!” I said in a huff.

“Sorry,” he said, looking amused. He suddenly looked at something behind us, “Namjoon hyung!” He went over to him and threw his arm around Namjoon’s neck. “I have something to tell all of you. Starting today, we are going to meet for the dance club every day after school.”

Namjoon just nodded.

“Uh… that’s not going to work,” I said.

“Why not?” he said, tilting his head.

“I promised Krystal and Elly I would join their sports club, which is meeting today. And Mr. Shin asked me to meet with him.”

Jimin raised an eyebrow. “Why did Mr. Shin want to see you?”

“I don’t know to be honest. He said he wanted to ask me about something.” I looked over at Namjoon and realized he was making an odd face again. What is the deal? I thought.

Jimin shrugged and cocked his head to the side. “Alright. Well I guess we’ll see you tomorrow then.”

“Yeah. See you then!”

 


 

I stood outside the door to Mr. Shin’s office. I was suddenly feeling a bit nervous, but I knocked on the door anyhow.

“Come in,” Mr. Shin said.

I slid the door open and walked inside.

“Ah, hello Aila,” he said when he saw me.

“Hello Mr. Shin. What did you want to talk about?”

“It’s a bit stuffy in here and it is nice outside. Why don’t we talk outside?” he said as he walked over from his desk and pointed hand to lead the way out.

“Okay,” I said. I followed silently as we walked through the gym, where a group of students was doing some sort of basketball drill.

“How are you managing so far?” Mr. Shin said once we got outside.

“Good, thank you.” I thought he would stop so we could talk, but he kept on walking, so I just followed. Before I knew it, we were at the back of the gym building.

Mr. Shin finally stopped near the wall of the building in the shade. He turned to look at me for several silent, and awkward seconds. “You are very pretty,” he said finally.

“Uh… thank you,” I said. Something about this situation was making my skin crawl.

Before I knew what was happening, he pinned me up against the wall. “Would you be my girlfriend?” he said and my chin.

I fought to free myself, but he had a firm hold on my shoulders. I went to scream, but he clamped one of his hands over my mouth. Panic rose in my chest. I kept struggling to get away from him, but he was overpowering me.

He leaned in really close to my face and my eyes widened. “Let’s not make a scene,” he almost whispered, “I don’t want to hurt you.”

“Leave her alone!” an angry voice suddenly shouted. My eyes darted to the side. To my surprise, but utter relief, I saw that it was Namjoon.

At the sight of him, Mr. Shin seemed to lose his nerve. He immediately let go of me and ran away.

My body started to shake. and my stomach was churning so bad I felt like I was going to throw up. Namjoon was suddenly in front of me. “Are you okay?” he said, looking very concerned.

I didn’t move, I just trembled. I looked up into his eyes, but I was starting to see dots and then my vision cut out.

 


Notes:

Hey guys! 

Sorry for taking so long on the next chapter. Between editing what I had and a busy week I didn't have a lot of time.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter! Please comment! I really appreciate hearing what you think of the story!

Thanks for reading!

Se Rin