The First Day

Seoul Music

A couple minutes later, Yongguk headed back over to where we were. “So what did you think?” he asked.

“That was amazing!” I said, my eyes beaming, “You were really good!”

Yongguk looked slightly embarrassed. “Well the other kid was too. I’ve heard him a couple times and he still amazes me.”

I silently agreed. Why did this “Rapmonster” guy seem so familiar and intriguing? Just as I was thinking about it, I saw him on the other side of the room, making his way over to a table where a group of guys were sitting. He slid into a booth next to them and took his glasses off. I finally realized who it was. It was the guy who had helped me at the airport, supposedly named Namjoon.

“Who is he?” I finally asked.

“His name is Namjoon. He goes to our school,” Hyosung said, “but he’s fairly antisocial with anyone other than his group of friends over there. They have a bit of a reputation at our school.”

“Really?” I said, raising an eyebrow, “Why is that?”

“Well they are the most popular guys in our school. Just about every girl in school likes one of them and most guys are jealous of them. But a couple of the guys are also the most feared, including Namjoon. The guys are all so different that people call them the Unsuited Seven, because with their individual personalities, you would never guess they would be friends.”

“Namjoon doesn’t seem that scary,” I said.

“Maybe not, but I don’t want to test that. Unless one of them is alone,” Hyosung said, “I wouldn’t approach them. And if I were you I’d avoid Namjoon and his friend Yoongi at all costs.”

I nodded slightly. “Thanks for the warning.”

Yongguk suddenly yawned. “Let’s head home guys, I’m tired.”

Hyosung laughed and shoved him softly. “My oppa is such an old man!”

I laughed to as we walked out to Yongguk’s car.

On the car ride home, I began thinking about school. There were only two more days till it started and I couldn't help but feel anxious, especially when it hadn’t even started and I was already being warned about people to avoid.

 


 

This was it. The entrance to my new school was staring me in the face along with one of the longest sets of stairs I had ever seen. The building looked very western, European in fact. A large clock was in the middle above the entryway and the entire building was made of red bricks. The lettering on the front read Kkum Keun High School.

I pulled at my uniform skirt for about the hundredth time that morning. It was at least four inches shorter than I felt comfortable with and the shirt and jacket were snug to say the least. It was also very girly, which I wasn't as used to, but Hyosung reassured me that it looked good so I tried to take her word for it.

"The main office is just inside," Hyosung said, "I'll go with you."

"Thanks," I said with an appreciative smile. I felt like a sailor in uncharted waters.

"Annyeonghaseyo," I greeted the woman in the reception office.

She smiled wide. "You must be Aila," she said, "We've been waiting for you. Let me just grab some papers for you to fill out. Hyosung, I will fill out an excuse note for you to be late. She'll need someone to show her around."

"Kamsahamnida," she said and nodded.

The woman reemerged and handed me the papers. "You can take these home to fill out but be sure to bring them back tomorrow. If you need anything feel free to come ask."

"Thank you," I said and then Hyosung and I stepped out into the busy hallway once again. Classes hadn't quite started yet so there were students wandering around everywhere.

I clutched the papers in my arms carefully as Hyosung led me down the hall. Suddenly a boy raced down the halls and bumped my shoulder almost making me drop what I was carrying. “Ya!” I said.

"Sorry!" He shouted over his shoulder without even looking back, "Taehyung wait for me!"

I watched with an angry glare as he slung his arm around another boy's shoulder, apparently Taehyung, who had dark strawberry blonde hair. "Late again Jimin?" Taehyung said to the boy who had shoved me.

The only thing I bothered to notice about Jimin was that he had a backpack slung over his shoulder with his name on it in English and a large number 1. I rolled my eyes. "Ego much?" I thought.

"Don't mind them," Hyosung said shaking her head, "they are just a bunch of slackers. Let's start our tour with the cafeteria."

"Okay," I said. The cafeteria had always been one of my least favorite places since middle school, but we had to start somewhere.

 


 

After getting me oriented with the layout of the school and showing me where each of my classes was, Hyosung and I finally stood outside the door to my homeroom class which we both shared.

"Ready?" Hyosung asked.

I just nodded. "Ready as I'll ever be," I mumbled quietly in English.

She slid the door open and walked in and I followed. Two dozen pairs of eyes were instantly on me and it made me feel uncomfortable. I played with the corner of one of my papers as Hyosung explained the situation. I peeked over and saw a couple girls whispering to each other. I took a deep breath and looked away.

"You can sit down Hyosung," the teacher said. She was a beautiful woman probably in her late twenties or early thirties. "Hi Aila. I'm your home room teacher Ms. Jun. Why don't you introduce yourself to the class?"

The moment I dreaded came as I turned to face the class. "Annyeonghaseyo," I said without making eye contact with anyone, "My name is Aila Rose." I stopped, unsure what I should say next.

"Everyone," Ms. Jun said saving me, "please look after Aila. She's from America. Why don't you say what your favorite subject is and tell them one of your hobbies in English?"

I nodded. "My favorite subject is Language," I said in English as she had asked, "and uh... I..." I wanted to say I liked to sing and dance, but I was afraid someone would ask me to sing. Being in front of all these unfamiliar people was torture enough. "I like to write," I said finally.

"Thank you Aila," Ms. Jun said, "You can have a seat behind Hyosung.

I looked up long enough to spot where she was sitting and then avoided everyone's eyes as I made my way down the aisle and sat behind her.

I took a breath of relief. I had made it through. But just then, someone tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around to see a dark haired boy with large, somewhat squinty eyes and a boyishly round face. His hair hung over his forehead he had stud earrings in both ears.

"Hey newbie," he said and smiled playfully, "my name is Jimin."

 


Note:

Ms. Jun is Jun Jihyun (from My Love From Another Star)