Blackmail

Seoul Music

"Wh-what are you doing here?" I said, my stomach practically turning over.

"Catching you red handed," he said still smirking as he took a step towards me, "and you said you didn't dance."

"Well I only dance for myself," I said, "and I've never taken lessons so I'm not very good."

"Who says you have to have lessons to be good?" He walked over until he was closer to me than I was comfortable with. He leaned in even closer and I leaned back. “If you don’t join, I know some girls who would love to hear some gossip about you.”

My eyes widened for a moment and then narrowed. “You wouldn’t,” I dared.

He stood up straight again and shrugged, his arms still crossed over his chest. “You can test it if you’d like.” He turned to walk the other direction.

“Stop!” I said, but he kept on walking. I swooped down and grabbed my jacket and bow-tie and chased after him. I whipped around in front of him and he stopped. “Fine,” I said, “I’ll join.”

A full on smile spread across his face and then chuckled. “I wouldn’t have actually told them anything you know. But you can’t go back on your word now.”

He seemed proud of himself and and in my mind I smacked him, and then myself. “Why do you want me in this club so bad?”

“Hmm…” he said holding his hand to his chin, “well to be honest you seem kind of interesting. Plus, we need some girls in the club.”

“You don’t have any that have joined so far?” I asked, tilting my head to the side.

“Nope. None of them were interested. But anyhow, I’ll find you after school so you can meet the others.”

“Okay…” I said reluctantly, “see you then.”

 


 

“Jimin roped me into joining the dance club,” I finally told Hyosung towards the end of our last class.

“Really?” she said with an odd expression.

“What is it?”

“Remember the Unsuited Seven guys I told you about?”

“Yeah…” I said slowly, “what about them?”

“Well Jimin is actually one of them.”

“Oh… well he doesn’t seem that scary to me.”

“He’s not,” she admitted, “but a couple of the others are. One even has a reputation for getting in fights. And I bet all of them will be in this club.”

“Oh…” I said, feeling worse and worse about the situation.

Hyosung looked concerned. She put her hand on my shoulder. “Be really careful. If you feel nervous, call me right away okay?”

I nodded.

“A couple of them are okay though, like I said,” Hyosung reassured me, “I’m sure you’ll be fine.”

The bell rang signaling the end of our last class. I took a deep breath, but my stomach still churned and my head hurt. “Well here goes nothing,” I said to Hyosung, “I’ll see you later!”

I gathered all of my new books and stuffed them into my bag and stepped out into the hallway. Instantly, a hand grabbed my wrist and drug me away.

“Jimin, what are you doing?” I said, trying to break my wrist free from his grasp. I could feel all the eyes watching us.

“I’m making sure you keep your promise!” he said and looked back at me and smiled.

 


 

“This is it,” Jimin said as we finally arrived outside the dance club’s practice room. He dropped my wrist and went to slide open the door.

I swallowed hard and took a deep breath as we entered. Inside the door to the left, Taehyung was lazily laying on a couch with one arm dangling on the floor. Another guy I didn’t recognize was primping in front of the dance mirror, Hoseok and a boy with dark red hair were dancing to song in the middle of the room. And in the back corner, Namjoon and another guy with brown hair were sitting in the corner, each with a pair of headphones stuck in their ears.

“Hey guys,” Jimin yelled over the music. Hoseok paused it and instantly I felt all of their eyes on me.

“I’d like you all to meet Aila,” Jimin continued, “she’s joining our club.”

“Yo,” Taehyung said, lifting his arm and letting it drop again.

“You changed your mind?” Hoseok said, “Why didn’t you say so?”

“Well I-”

“I had to convince her,” Jimin said, beaming, “but she finally agreed.”

I shook my head slightly and sighed inaudibly.

“You must be new,” the one who had been primping said, “I’m Jin. I’m the oldest here.” He had light brown hair that fell over his eyebrows. He had a hoop earring in on one ear. He was tall and handsome; I was sure he probably had a lot of girl fans.

“Uh, hi,” I said, “nice to know.”

He stepped closer and put his finger under my chin and lifted up my face. I held my breath, afraid he would do something to me.

“You have nice eyes,” he said smiling.

“Ahhh,” Taehyung moaned in disgust, “don’t flirt with her on the first day, Jin-hyung!”

Jin dropped his hand and stepped back, but continued to smile.

I tried to breath normally, but the more all of them talked to me, the more tense I felt.

The red haired boy smiled cutely and bowed over exaggeratedly. “I’m Jungkook,” he said with a smile, “Nice to meet you Noona!”

“Noona?” I said puzzled.

“It means older sister,” Jungkook said.

“I know,” I said nodding, “but you don’t look that young.”

Jungkook scratched the back of his head and smiled awkwardly. “I’m a first year.”

Wow, I thought, I’m actually older than him.

Just then, in the corner of my eye, I saw that Namjoon and the other guy had finally noticed I was there; they had taken out their headphones and were walking over.

“These guys are Namjoon and Yoonggi,” Jungkook said.

Yoonggi glared at Jimin with a stare that was so scary I felt like I wanted to escape. It was odd because his face actually looked a bit boyish and he almost reminded me of an adorable bunny, but his glare was like a murderous creature out for the hunt.

“I thought I told you no girls,” he said sternly. His voice was surprisingly deep.

“Come on Yoonggi-hyung!” Jimin said, “We have to have other members if this is a club. We haven’t had any girls join so far either.”

Yoonggi just glared at him again and left the room, passing by me by mere inches, making my skin crawl with goosebumps.

“Don’t worry about him,” Jin said, “he’s just moody.”

“Aren’t you even going to say hi?” Taehyung said while poking Namjoon’s arm. He hadn’t said a word.

“Hi,” Namjoon finally said.

“Nice to meet you,” I said, hoping to stay on his good side… if he had one.

“So who’s ready to get started?” Jimin said pumping his fists in the air energetically.

“What do we do…” I said after a couple seconds of silence. He had dragged me into this, but I really had no idea what the club was going to do.

“It’s time to-” He stopped and broke out into a dance and spun around and stopped, holding out his hand towards me. “Ta-da!”

When I realized what he was asking, I instantly shook my head.

“Aw, come on!” Jimin said slouching his shoulders. He grabbed my shoulders and shook me lightly. “When I saw you earlier, you were really good!”

“You dance?” Jin said, looking impressed.

“You weren’t supposed to see that anyhow,” I said to Jimin.

Taehyung grabbed Jimin around his shoulders and rubbed his other fist into Jimin’s head. Jimin started laughing. His laugh was adorably high-pitched and I almost started laughing too. “Are you peeking on girls again,” Taehyun said as he momentarily paused the torture. He looked him in the eyes. “Were you?” he demanded playfully.

“No, no!” Jimin denied.

“You definitely were,” Taehyung said with a straight face as he instantly dropped hold of Jimin’s neck.

Jimin rubbed his neck, acting as if he had almost been choked to death.

I couldn’t hold back anymore and I started to laugh uncontrollably. For a second they all looked at me with blank stares, but then they started to laugh as well. Finally the laughter subsided.

Jimin smiled cockily. “See you’ll fit in here. Welcome to the club.”