Blind Date?

A Princess Love Story

T-ara; Roly Poly

----

South Korea, Seoul | Present

Setting – Hotel | 7:00 AM

----

Sunshine crept into the room through the blinds, and I heard a soothing voice beside my ear. 

“Rise and shine, Jinae darling.” 

Unknowingly, a small smile curved up my lips as I heard his voice, it was as if he was singing a lullaby.  There were sounds of footsteps shuffling to and fro, and suddenly an alarm blasted at full volume beside my other ear. 

“ROLY POLY, ROLY ROLY POLY, 날밀어내도난다시네게로다가가서!” 

I turned my back to the alarm, delved deeper into my covers, and attempted to tune out the music by clasping my hands beside both of my ears. 

“Jinae, I will literally drag you out of bed if you don’t get up in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0.” Jinyoung yelled. 

“Oh crap.” I muttered. 

He reached under the covers, grabbed my ankles with force and hauled the rest of my body off the bed.  I was too fatigued to complain, thus slowly but carefully, I crept back onto my bed.  Before I could pull the covers of my face, Jinyoung swept me off the bed, carrying me by my waist. 

“It’s an important day baby, no sleeping in,” he cooed. 

I laughed in response and reached behind his back to tickle his waist. 

“WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?” he shouted, letting go of my waist. 

I darted towards my bedroom, but Jinyoung being an all-round athlete, jumped in front of me before I could open the door.  He forcefully grabbed my arm and placed it onto his shoulders, and then he crouched down in front of me.  This guy, he wants to give me a piggyback ride.  I smiled and jumped onto his lean back. 

“Why is today such a significant day, in the history of Jung Jinae’s life?” I questioned with a serious tone hinted in my voice. 

“I rather not tell you.” he smiled, showing his sweet dimples. 

“I’m going back to sleep…” I pretended to drool onto his white wife beater. 

“You dare drool on me, Jung Jinae?” he shrieked, trying to turn his head to see if I actually contaminated his glistening white wife beater. 

“Blind date preparations.” he grunted. 

“We’re over Oppa, we’re over.  You’re handing me over to some ugly douche, because I’m annoying.  It’s actually so unjust.” I whined. 

“You’re almost 18, and you haven’t even went on a date before.  This is abnormal, girl.” Jinyoung sympathized. 

“Well, it’s not my fault that no one’s to par with my high expectations.” I defended. 

“I found one, do you trust your Oppa’s taste or what?” he grinned.  “You just might end up marrying this man,” he murmured. 

“I’m only marrying a celebrity.  Give me Joowon, Wonbin, or Hyunbin and we’ll negotiate.” I smirked. 

Jinyoung let go of me and turned around to flick my forehead. 

“Keep dreaming in the washroom.  Wash up and get dressed by 7:30AM.  I already booked a cab and it’ll be arriving at approximately 8:00AM.  We still have to drop by the mall, spa, and hair salon; so don’t be late okay?” he winked. 

“Yes, master.” I rolled my eyes. 

----

B1A4; 쮸쮸쮸

----

Outfits

----

The cab dropped us off at the front entrance of an enormous, wealthy mall; decorated with golden-white lights and gleaming windows.  There were electronic billboards playing the latest commercials, which starred familiar faces, all of the most beautiful women and most handsome men in the nation. 

“Wow.” I said, while my eyes scanned the heart of the busy city, Seoul. 

Jinyoung glanced at his watch and held my hand, dragging me into the massive building. 

“Perfect timing.” 

After five minutes, we arrived at a designer boutique.  Before Jinyoung could step foot in the store, I pulled him back and gaped in awe at the radiant dresses, scintillating on display.  To the furthest left, my eyes were fixed on a petite strapless dress; the top of the dress was a pink, the bottom of it was a creamy white.  It had a sweetheart neckline, accentuating the collarbone; with silver jewels embellished in a triangular pattern.  The bottom was made of the finest silk and tulle, as if clouds assembled it. 

“Jinyoung Oppa, let’s get this one!” I squealed while shaking his arm.

He took one look at it, diverted his gaze at me, and snapped his fingers.

“Perfect.  Now hurry inside so you can try it on,” he urged while pushing me inside the boutique.

After what felt like eternity, Jinyoung Oppa finally paid for the outfit.  As we exited the store, my stomach grumbled loudly.  Jinyoung Oppa stared at me and I sheepishly grinned and looked up at him. 

“When will our Jinae stop dreaming about food,” he said while trying to keep from chuckling. 

“It’s your fault this time that I’m so hungry.  You rushed me out the door so I didn’t even get to have breakfast!” I pouted.

“Araso, let’s grab some food to eat first,” he laughed while tousling my hair. 

“Oh, let’s get burgers… I really miss eating them ever since we left America,” I said while rubbing my stomach. 

He didn’t respond so I glanced up and saw him leading me to an expensive fine dining restaurant. 

“Why are we going there?  Burgers are fine.” I whispered to him quietly. 

“I feel like some rich food today, can’t you join me?” he laughed quietly and winked, while strolling towards the restaurant.

“How many people today, sir?” the waiter at the door asked us. 

“Just two please,” Oppa responded politely, while the waiter led us to our seats. 

Oppa pulled my chair out for me before sitting down himself.   I smiled to myself; I never knew he could be such a gentleman.  He ordered two sets of steak for us while I looked around the interior of the restaurant. 

The walls were cream-coloured, with paintings of pink roses, and European aristocrats; it seemed as if we were in a castle.  Above our heads, a magnificent chandelier made of the finest diamonds and crystals cast a luminous light upon us.  The furniture was detailed; vintage designs on chairs, carefully structured tables, even the cutlery seemed to be imported from the nineteenth century. 

When the food came, I vigorously dived into my steak without slicing it into pieces by sticking my fork into the steak and chewing on it.  I looked across the table and met Jinyoung’s eyes, which showed a glint of disappointment. 

“Jinae,” he hissed across the table. 

“What?” I replied while gulping down a glass of water. 

“Could you eat… more pleasantly?” he replied urgently. 

“Like what?” I responded with a mouthful of steak. 

“Why didn’t I teach her earlier…” he muttered under his breath. 

“Teach me what?” I asked. 

“Sit straight, good posture, knife and fork, slice your steak quietly, a tiny piece at a time, and then place it into your mouth,” he demonstrated. 

“Oh that, of course I know how to do that.” I replied. 

I heard him sigh in relief. 

“It’s a little stiff but better than what you were doing earlier.  Please, please, please behave yourself at the blind date tomorrow okay Jinae?” Jinyoung stressed. 

By his actions, I knew this meant a lot to him.  I took a deep breath and offered my pinky. 

“I promise my dearest brother, that I, Jung Jinae, will obey your orders without hesitation.  Happy?” I said with a grin. 

He hooked his pinky with mine. 

“Alright, now hurry up.  We still need to go to the salon and the spa after this.” he exclaimed. 

I positioned my head on the ledge of the wooden table to express my defeat.     

----

MYNAME; Message

----

South Korea, Seoul | Present

Setting – Gyeongbokgung; Seja’s Bedroom | 8:30 AM

----

I was peacefully sleeping in my bedroom on a beautiful Saturday morning until I heard a huge shout erupt from outside my door. 

“You got a message Gongchan.  YA LA LA LA LA, OH OH OH OH!  YA LA LA LA LA RING-A-DING-A-DING CHECK IT OUT!” someone bellowed. 

I furrowed my eyebrows and stretched the covers over my head, in an attempt to block out the irritating shouts. 

“뜨거운마음을, 가득눌러담아서, 지금네게보낸다.  널향한메세지,” the voice screeched, piercing through my blankets. 

I could hear the palace maids shuffling outside my door, trying to get him to quiet down.

“Seja will be very upset with you, Daegoonmama!” one palace maid hinted. 

“Please quiet down, Daegoonmama!” another one pleaded. 

However, all that followed was a fit of giggles. 

“YOU GOT A MESSAGE! 내 마음을적지, a message!” he teased. 

I couldn’t stand it anymore and threw the covers off my head, stomping straight to the door.  I swung it open, confronting myself with the frightened palace maids and Sandeul, who had finally stopped singing, a smile playing on his lips. 

“Yah Sandeul, do you know how happy I was yesterday night?   I was thrilled, knowing that I could finally sleep in this morning.  But, no… you just had to come wake me up.  Seja never has days off, you know that!” I growled. 

The palace maids quickly bowed and left us alone, they were aware of the fact that I needed some alone time.  However, my prince of a cousin just chuckled and patted my head. 

“Araso, I just wanted to give you a message,” he announced, while taking my hand and dragging me towards my bed.  He tucked me under the covers, and tousled my hair. 

“I know, you’ve been singing ‘Message’ the entire morning.” I sighed, my eyes closed. 

I was a little less sullen, since I was back in my snug bed. 

“I set up a blind date for you today!” he declared. 

“SANDEUL.  Stop yelling… and blind date?  What blind date!  Did you set me up with some rich girl again?” I inquired. 

Unlike most guys my age, I’m indifferent to meeting girls.  Sure I like girls, but all the girls I have met so far have tried to get close to me just because I’m of royal descent.  All the blind dates that Sandeul set up for me, I go through the same process.  I walk in; take one look at the girl, and leave.  None of them have ever appealed to me.

“Anyhow, the answer is no.  I’m not going to another trivial blind date.  Today is one of my only days off, and I will not be wasting it on a blind date.  Wait, now that I think about it… Uhmamama and Ahbamama just told me about today’s day off yesterday.  It feels kind of off, do you know what’s going on Sandeul?” I asked suspiciously, while sitting back up. 

I glanced at Sandeul and he directly avoided meeting my eyes.  

“I know nothing at all; besides, Jeonha and Joongjunmama always discuss plans for you confidentially,” he stated, while shuffling back and forth. 

I placed my head back on my pillow; I was too tired to pursue the thought any further.  

“Channie, I know you’ll like her this time.  Pretty, pretty please with a cherry on top, give her a chance okay?” Sandeul pleaded.

“NO.” I said firmly, my eyes closed. 

“Ahem… even if I have this?” I heard him giggle. 

I opened my eyes to see him dangling a gold object above my head.  I quickly sat up.

“Is that… ” I started. 

“Yes, that’s right.  It’s the one and only, Rolex President 18K gold diamond limited edition watch- ” he started.

“THE SOLE ROLEX PRESIDENT 18K GOLD DIAMOND IN THE WORLD!” I shouted in disbelief. 

“Mhmm,” he teased. 

“How did you even get your hands on that?  Prince William of England bought that before I could…” I started.

“I have my ways,” Sandeul chuckled.  “This could be yours,” he began. 

“If I attend the blind date?” I asked. 

“Bingo!” he squealed. 

I crossed my arms and looked the other way, avoiding his gaze.  He shrugged, and then deliberately placed the watch on his wrist in front of me.  My eyes widened, it was perfect.

“I guess I’ll just keep it for myself.  Now, excuse me while I cancel the blind date.” Sandeul sighed and started to walk away. 

“WAIT!” I shouted. 

Sandeul whirled around.

“YES?” he questioned eagerly. 

“I-I’ll go…” I grumbled.

“Awesome, here’s the watch,” he replied. 

I snatched the gleaming watch out of his hand, and hastily wore it. 

“Anyways, I promise you that it’ll be perfect this time… it has to be!  Just promise me that you’ll at least try to talk to her and have a meal with her before deciding okay?  Be polite!  She comes from overseas so she has no idea whom you are… so you can be yourself for once okay?  Oh, and please don’t give away your identity, she’ll be frightened.”  Sandeul begged me, unleashing his puppy eyes. 

I continued to admire each and every aspect of my watch, absentmindedly replying to his requests. 

“I don’t know Deullie, didn’t you say that all the other times you’ve set me up on a blind date?  Well, I found out that most of those girls knew I was the prince; they were just playing dumb.  As if they would really want to meet me if I wasn’t the prince.  Thank goodness, I’m smart and I have the ability to see right through their act,” I smirked. 

“I swear on my precious Louis Vuitton limited edition oxfords, that I’m not lying this time!  She’s seriously clueless.  She’s the dongsaeng of my best friend from overseas, so please treat her well,” he urged. 

I sighed and stared deep into Sandeul’s eyes.  I could tell that he was being genuine, as if he had really found the right girl for me.  Doesn’t he know that I have the power of a pawn in a game of chess?  At the end of the day, I won’t be able to choose whom I’m going to marry. 

“Fine, I’ll give it a shot.  Only because I can see your sincerity… and you gave me this!” I replied with an eye smile. 

“I’m truthfully sincere, I promise!” he exclaimed. 

“Okay, okay.  This isn’t until lunchtime right?  Then leave so I can go back to sleep!” I yelled. 

“Alright, meet her at Ritz Carlton Seoul, 12:00 PM sharp.  I booked the entire place for you two.  Dress nicely and don’t be late,” he winked, closing the door behind him.