Kim went investigating

A note in QL 737 .P96 F67 1983 p. 178

Kim went to her 10:00 a.m. class.   Her mind was on the message written on the page of the book.  She wrote all the information Pie told her.  The professor noticed that Kim’s attention was not on the class; he called her and asked some questions about what had been discussed but Kim answered all the questions.  Kim was a wide reader since kid; she already read and understood what the professor was talking about.

So she wrote all the information but she can’t find the way how to defeat Mike.  She wanted to know where did Mike took suicide and what happened to Jack two years ago.

The class had been dismissed; she went to the library to meet Pie.  Pie was busy working at her station.

“Hey miss, good morning!”  Kim greeted.

“Good morning sunshine.”  Pie replied.  “Do you hear about our English class?”

“Did the professor move the presentation today?”  Kim asked.

“No, he announced that the presentation will start on Thursday, since we are the last to present, our presentation will be on Friday.  There will be no classes today to Wednesday for the practice.”

“Do we need still to practice Pie?”

               “Yes, Thursday night at your house.”

               “Good then.”  Maybe I can go home now.  I have no more class today.”  Kim smiled.

               “Okay Kim.  I have so many things to do today.  Wish us luck to our report this afternoon.”

               “Good luck Pie.  Text me okay?  Bye.”

               “Bye Kim.”

 

               Kim didn’t go to her house.  She went to the police station to ask about Mike’s suicide.  Kim used her influence as the daughter of the Burnapphan and her knowledge about the law to allow her to see the crime report.

               “Pie said that Mike was committing suicide at the library.” Kim thought.

               “Here’s the report ma’am.”  The police showed the report.

               Mike was found dead sitting on the table near the window at the library on the third floor.  The police confirmed that it was a suicide because there was no evidence of foul play.  They saw a small bottle contained a liquid solution used for cleaning silver jewelries.

There was a picture of Mike and Kim recalled the face of the sad-faced guy wearing white shirt and khaki pants but she was not sure.  On the next page of the report, the pictures of the crime scene.  On the picture, there was a man standing beside the police, same image of the man who gave her the message.  She thought maybe this man is Jack holding an envelope. She noticed there was a message written on the envelope. She looked closer to the picture the message was “For P.”  Kim went to police and asked if there was a suicide letter and the police said none.

"Pie didn’t mention about the letter.  Maybe Jack hid the letter.  Why did he do that?  I have to ask Pie about this.”  Kim returned the report to the police and left.

Kim went home.  She received a text from Pie that she will visit tonight.

 

The doorbell rang.  Aunt In from the kitchen immediately opened the door.  It was Pie.

“Good evening Aunt In.  Where’s Kim?”  Pie asked.

“She’s on the rooftop.  Talk to her she seems silent since she got there.”  Aunt In answered.

“Okay, Aunt In.  Thank you.”  Pie said.

Pie went upstairs and she saw Kim sitting on the couch watching the city.  She jumped to couch and she took Kim’s right arm to put at her shoulders and rested her head at Kim’s shoulder. Kim smiled and kissed Pie’s hair.

“How was your report, Pie?”  Kim asked.

“Well, the professor said amazing.”  Pie laughed.

“Nice, that’s good news.”

“How about you my sunshine?” Pie asked.

“It was not fine but you are here now, my day now is complete.”

“Oh really?”  Pie laughed.  “I really like this place.  It really gives me a peace of mind.”

Kim nodded.  “Me too.”

“Wait, how did you put the couch here?”  Pie asked.

Kim laughed.  “Well, I asked the guards to carry.”

“I see.  I thought you carry this alone.” Pie laughed

 

 “Aunt In said you seem silent today.  Is there something wrong?”  Pie asked.

“I’ll tell you later after dinner.  I don’t want to ruin this moment with you.”  Kim asked.

“Okay, you’re the boss.  I love this moment too.”

 

 

Kim walked with Pie to her dorm.  Kim was hesitated to tell Pie that she went to the police station.

“Kim?”

“Yes Pie?”

“About you said at the rooftop. “

“I went to the police station asked about Mike’s suicide.  I saw on the picture of the crime scene, there was a man holding an envelope written For P on it.  Did you receive that?”

“No, Kim.”

“And the man holding it was the man I saw at the library who was asking for help.  Maybe it was….”

“Jack.  What else, Kim?”

“That was all, Pie.”

“Maybe Jack kept the letter.”

Kim nodded.

“I think Jack hid something.  I want to know what was on the letter, Kim.”

“I’ll find that Pie.  I promise.”

Pie nodded.  “Thank you Kim.”

“For what?”  Kim asked.

“For doing this to me.”  Pie answered.

“Anything for us Pie.”

“Here’s the dorm.”  She kissed Kim good night.

 

After class, Kim went back to the police station to ask about the man holding the envelope on the picture.

“I’m sorry he was just one of the staff there.”  The police said.

“He was holding an envelope.”

“I don’t know maybe that was his envelope.  The case already closed ma’am.  I’m sorry I can’t help you.”

              

               Kim’s investigation went blank.  She doesn’t know where to start.  She went back to the library.  She saw Pie was busy working; she just waved at her and went up to the third floor.

               She checked the book.  It was not for the note anymore but maybe she found another clue.  She found nothing.  She checked to the next self and to the next but still found nothing.  She felt something cold, she thought one of the mysterious guys will appear but she noticed the cold air was from her back then she turned it was only an air conditioner.

She went to the table near the window where was Mike found dead.  Kim checked the table and the chair maybe there were markings for clues.  She shook her head because she found nothing.  She decided to left floor, she was about to reach the stairs, she looked back, there was a man sitting on the table.  She ran to the table, when she got closer she stopped.  The man stood up and turned to Kim, it was her classmate from 10:00 a.m. class.

“Hey Kim! You were superb yesterday.  You answer all the questions.  You are officially my idol man!”  And he left.

“Thank you.”

 

She went to the first floor to on Pie.  Pie was about to leave her station.

“Pie, are you hungry?”  Kim asked.

“Yes Kim, let’s go to the cafeteria.”

 

“Have you found some clues, Kim?”  Pie asked.

“I found nothing, Pie.”  Kim answered.

“I already applied for graduation, Kim.”

“So you’re really going to leave me.”

“Of course not.”

“I’ll stay with you but not in school anymore. “

“I still have two years to get out.”

“Time flies fast, Kim.”

“Yes, you’re right.  I want to solve this mystery, Pie.”

“Don’t think too much about that Kim.”

Kim nodded.  “What are your plans after graduation?”

“I don’t know.  Looking for a job maybe.”  Pie answered.

“How about vacation?”

“You and me?”

“Yes.”

“Where?”

“Anywhere you want to go.”

“You choose.”

“Europe?”

“That’s awesome!”

“Okay, Europe.  Final.”  Kim nodded.

“Can’t wait.”  Pie smiled.

 

Pie went to her class while Kim went to the records office to some records for Mike and Jack.

Again, she used her influence and intelligence, the registrar allowed her to go in the records office.

She found the record of Jack first; the records were marked dropped out but there was no reason specified, so she copied the home address.  She can’t find Mike’s records.  She was asking help to the student assistants to find the Mike’s record but none.

 

She went to the address copied from Jack’s record.  There she met Jack’s parents.  His parents were also clueless and they gave up searching for him.  They allowed Kim to check Jack’s room to search some clues.  She checked every drawer, cabinet, notebooks, books and even under the bed.  She moved the bedside table; she found a small hole on the wall.  It was a small door, she opened the door by using her index finger to pull and she found a small box with lock.  She forced the lock to open and inside of the box, were pictures and a small bottle of silver cleaner.  It was full of Pie’s pictures.  When She took the box and put on her bag.

               After the searching, she went to the living room where Jack’s parents waiting for her.  Kim looked at the family pictures displayed hanging on walls.  Then she asked about Jack’s personality.

               “Jack always gets what he wants.  He would do and risk everything just to get what he wants.  One time, he almost killed his brother just to get baseball card that he wanted.”  Jack’s mother said.

               “Do you know Mike?  His best friend?  Kim asked.

               “Yes, I know him.  I don’t believe he killed himself.”  His mother answered.

               “What?  Why?”

               “He’s a good kid.  I can see that.  I thought Mike can change my son.”

               “How about her girlfriend?”

               “He never mentioned that.”  His father answered.

               Kim phone rang, it was Pie calling her.  “I think I got all I want to know, thank you for your time.”