Kim's big heart

A note in QL 737 .P96 F67 1983 p. 178

Kim replied the note before her 10:00 a.m. class; she left right away because she was frightened what happened yesterday.  She didn’t even look at the table.

 

               “As long as you still need me too.

               I’ll stay.”

 

While she was listening to the professor’s discussion, she received a text from Pie. 

“Today is Election Day, you must vote.  One vote can make a difference.  See you at the precinct near the cafeteria after your class, sunshine.”

 

She went to the precinct after her class because she knew Pie was waiting for her.  When she reached the cafeteria, Pie called her. She was right, Pie was waiting for her.

Pie’s smile was like a magnet.  It dragged you closer to her and when she talked, you felt like you were floating without air.  When she laughed, you can’t stop staring at her.

               “Thank you for coming Kim.”  Pie said squeezed her arm.  People were staring at them.  Kim looked down, embarrassed at everybody’s eyes.  “Don’t mind them Kim.  Let’s go.”

               “I don’t know the candidates Pie.  Tell me, who’s your bet?”  Kim asked.

               “Just choose one.”  Pie pushed her to the chair.

 

               The election was finally finished.  They announced right away the winner and at last Pie can focus now on her school works.  She went to Kim’s house that night, to see Aunt In as promised.  Aunt In served her cake and some sweets and Kim sitting in the living was just watching them laughing in the kitchen.

               “Aunt In, do you have family?”  Pie asked.

               “Yes, I have back home.”  Aunt In answered.

               “When did you start working at Kim’s family?”

               “Since Kim was born.”

               “Do you have plans to leave Kim and go back to your family?
               “No.  My family doesn’t need me anymore.  Kim was 2 months old; Mrs. Burnapphan offered me a house, money, jobs for my family just to give Kim a hundred percent look and care for Kim.”

               “So you accepted the offer?”  Pie asked.

               “No Pie.  My family did.”  Aunt In answered.  “My husband made a deal to Mrs. Burnapphan not to make contact with me again.”

               “I’m sorry Aunt In.”

               “It’s okay, Pie.  Sometimes we better speak out our pain in our hearts than to hide it.”

               Pie nodded.

               “But I’m still lucky.  Kim is a good kid.  She never gave me headaches.”

               “I can see that.”  Pie nodded.

               “If you notice Kim doesn’t like to go out….”

               “Yes, Aunt In.  She is always stays here right?”

               “For her, hanging out or partying was just waste of time and money.  She can buy everything, she can go anywhere but she just stay here.”

               “She just sitting on the couch and watching TV.”

               “Have you heard the KB Foundation?”  Aunt In asked.

               “Yes, they gave hope to those who can’t afford to go to college.”  Pie answered.

               “That Kim’s Foundation.  Instead of wasting money, she gave it all to the foundation.  That’s how big Kim’s heart is.  Please don’t tell this to anyone, she wanted to keep this secret.”

               “Okay Aunt In.  I won’t tell, promise.”

               “Pie, I think we need to start practice now.”  Kim came in.

               “Thank you for your time, Aunt In.”  Pie and Kim left the kitchen.

 

               They already master the dialogue.  Pie decided to go home to do some school works left at the dorm.  Kim walked with her.

               “Having fun with Aunt In, Pie?”  Kim asked.

               “Yes, you’re so lucky having her Kim.”  Pie answered.

               “Well, yes.  I don’t know if she’s lucky to have me too.”

               “She loves you Kim.  I can see that.  She is very lucky having you.”

               Kim nodded. “Did she tell you about her family?”

               “Yes.  It was a sad story.  Kim, can I asked you something?”

               “What’s that Pie?”

               “Have you been in a party before?”

               “Yes, Pie why?”

               “We will have a party this Friday night.  It’s a victory party slash farewell party.  I want you to come.”

               “Okay.”  Kim nodded.

               “It’s a costume party Kim.  Here’s the invitation.”  Pie gave the invitation to Kim.

               “I’ll be there Pie.”  Kim promised.

               “I thought you don’t like parties.”  Pie asked.

               “As long as I’m with you I’ll be there.”  Kim answered.

               They stopped at the front of the Pie’s dorm.  When Pie looked at Kim’s face, she felt like melting at Kim’s smile.  They were staring at each other for a while until the dog barked at them.

               “I have to go inside Kim.”

               “Good night Pie.”