The dance

A note in QL 737 .P96 F67 1983 p. 178

It was already 10:00 p.m. Kim was not yet arrived.  Pie was waiting for her at the door.  Pie was wearing strapless diamond white gown with floral embroidery.  The dress was lifted her beauty with just a simple make-up.  She was the head turner of the night then someone came to her,

               “You look beautiful tonight, Pie.”  It was Kim wearing a mask.  She was wearing a white satin Armani tuxedo.

               “You look lovely Kim.  I thought I was going to have a broken heart.”  Pie said.

               “Why?”  Kim asked.

               “I thought you won’t come.”  Pie answered.

               “Promise is a promise, Pie.”  Kim smiled.

               Kim offered her hand.  “Shall we rock the dance floor?”  Kim asked.

               Pie gave her hand to Kim.  “Let’s rock!”

              

               They went to the center of the dance floor.  “We’re matched tonight, Pie.  We are wearing white.”  Kim said.

               “Maybe you were spying on me about the dress.”

               Kim shook her head and smiled.

 

               They sensed that people were gossiping about them but Pie held Kim’s cheeks to look at her.

               “Don’t mind them Kim.  They’re just jealous.”  Pie said.

               Kim nodded.

 

               While they were dancing, Kim saw the second guy who asked help.  He was standing beside the DJ.  His mouth moved like he was saying something.  She held Pie’s arm tightly.

               “Why, Kim?”  Pie asked.

               “He’s here.”  Kim answered.

               “Where?”

               Kim pointed the DJ.  “He’s right there.”

               “I can’t see him, Kim.”

               “He’s there.  Watching us.”

               Someone came to them and grabbed Pie’s hand.

“Dance with me, Pie.”  It was Van, drunk.  Pie’s classmate on some subjects.

“I’m hurting Van.  Let me go.”

“I said dance with me!”  Van insisted.

“Let her go.”  Kim said.

“Why are you Pie’s boyfriend?  Oh, I mean Pie’s girlfriend.”

“I said let her go.  Don’t get her away from me.”

“I don’t care if you’re the next heir of the Burnappans, Kim.  I can still punch your beautiful face.  Dance with me, Pie!”

Kim used her karate technique: side kick to jaw to Van.  Van lost his consciousness.

“Let’s go Pie, he ruined our moment.”  They went to the car and left.

 

“I can’t believe you did that, Kim.  You do karate?”  Pie asked.

“Actually, I’m a black belter.”  Kim answered.

“What?  Everybody now is afraid of you.”  Pie said.

“Where do you want to go, Pie?”  Kim asked.

“I think your place.”

Kim talked to her driver.  “Let’s go home.”

 

Pie seated on the couch at the living room.  She took off her shoes to relax.  Aunt In woke up to prepare cake for Pie and Kim.

“Pie, come here.”  Kim called.

Pie stood up barefooted.  Kim held Pie’s hand and they went to a door beside the kitchen.

“I thought this is a closet Kim.”

Kim laughed.  “This is a way to the rooftop.”  They climbed the spiral shaped stairs with books surrounded on the wall.

Pie was surprised.  “This rooftop is amazing!”

At the rooftop, you can see the whole city.  The rooftop was full of flowers with a little water fountain.  There was a coffee table in the middle.

“This is Aunt In’s garden, Pie.”  Kim said.

               “Wow, did you guys hired a landscape architect here?”

               “Yes.  This was my Aunt In’s birthday gift three years ago.”

               Aunt In served cake and drinks on the coffee table.

               “Thank you Aunt In.”  Pie said.

               “I’ll leave you girls then.”  Aunt In left.

 

Van ruined our dance; can we continue our dance here?  Kim asked.

Pie nodded and she gave her hand to Kim.

They were dancing slow dance.  They were just listening to noise of the city as their music.  Pie rested her head at Kim’s shoulder.

“Thank you for saving me at the dance, Kim.”

“You’re welcome Pie; I wonder how Van is doing.”

Pie laughed.  “Now he already knows what it feels like seeing the stars.”

Kim laughed.  “That was very painful.”

“Let’s eat, I’m hungry.”  Pie said.  They went to the table.

               Pie noticed something bother at Kim.

               “Are you okay?”  Pie asked. “Are you thinking about the second guy do you?”

               Kim nodded.  “He’s following me.”

               “Can I ask favor tonight, Kim?”  Pie asked.

               “Yes, what’s that?”

               “Don’t mind about that guy.  Think about me.”  Pie teased.

               “You’re always in my mind, Pie.”  Kim answered.

 

               “What did you say?”  Pie asked.

               “Let’s eat, Pie.  I’m hungry too.”  Kim smiled.

              

               “Tomorrow is Saturday, are you free?”  Kim asked.

               “I’m sorry Kim, I have so many school work to do.”  Pie said.

               “Maybe next time.”

               Pie nodded.

               “If you want some help, just tell me.”

               “Okay, I will.”

 

               It was already 1:00 a.m.  Pie decided to go home.  Kim offered her to stay for a night.

               “There’s one room for guest Pie.  I’ll lend you some clothes.”

               Pie accepted the offer.

 

               They was about to go downstairs, Pie stepped on the rock and fell.  Kim helped her stand and Kim placed Pie’s hand at her shoulders.  Their eyes met again.  The world suddenly stopped.  Pie was unable to move at Kim’s gaze and Kim also to Pie.  Their hearts were beating faster triple times.  Pie held her right hand to Kim’s left cheek; Kim can’t control her feeling so she kissed Pie.  Their lips touched for three seconds then Pie kissed back.

 

               Kim showed the guest room to Pie.  It was all white, the wall, the beddings, the curtains even the bathroom.  Aunt In gave her Kim’s clothes to change.

               “Good night, Pie.”

               “Good night, Kim.”  Kim closed the door.

 

               Kim was looking at the notes posted on the walls in her room.  She was thinking about the kiss and to someone on her love note.

“Now, what Kim? You love them both.  You are in big trouble.” She read them one by one then she thought,

“Maybe these guys have something to tell.”  She was looking at the first note.  “Maybe this note was for the guy who was asking for help two years ago. What about the first one?  I have to solve this mystery.”  Kim went to bed and tried to sleep.  While Pie in the guest room forced her eyes closed to sleep but the kiss won’t leave her mind.