The Music Room

All is Fair in Love and Music
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seungyoon walked back to WINNER’s music room right after lunch, sparing no time for play. The rest of the boys told him they were going to spend what remains of the lunch break in a coffee shop nearby and asked him to come with them, but he rejected the offer. He had made up his mind that all his free time must be used to finish the song he’d been working on. He started writing it at the end of junior year, but for some reason, it just didn’t sound right.

He thought he was exhausted, so he decided to go back home to Busan for spring break, hoping that he could find inspiration there. But that trip yielded no results either. He was getting frustrated, because he knew that the song had potential to be the best one he’s ever written – but he just couldn’t finish the damn thing.

He stared at the music sheet and played the chords over and over on his guitar. He knew it will come to him soon enough if he just continued playing, absorbing the music. After twenty minutes of nothing, he huffed and crumpled the paper in front of him. It was getting more and more frustrating. He wanted to finish the song before YG’s president calls them up for another review. There was a point he needed to prove. He closed his eyes and sighed deeply.

Two months ago, he sent the president three tracks that he worked on during the last quarter of his junior year.

"I’m not saying your songs aren’t good, because they are," Yang Hyun Suk explained. A day after he sent him the songs, the president visited WINNER’s music room just to talk to him. Seungyoon was surprised, because he rarely does that. "You’re a smart kid. You obviously understand what songs will sell. And these ones right here – they can even top the charts."

Seungyoon wasn’t exactly sure what the president was getting at. If they’re good, why did he look disappointed?

"Seungyoon-ah, do you know why YG took you in? Because I saw that you have what it takes to be a great artist. But right now, you’re still a student. I don’t want you to get used to writing ‘hits’ – you’ll have plenty of time to do that later. What I want you to learn right now is how to write songs that communicate and connect with the listeners. Songs that have the ability to stay with people for a very long time." The president stood up and put a hand on Seungyoon’s shoulder. "I suggest you start writing songs from here…," he used a forefinger to point at Seungyoon’s heart, "…and not from here." Yang Hyun Suk patted his head before leaving the music room.

Seungyoon put a hand on his chest. Have I really not been writing from here?

"Oy, leader! Why do you look like you’ve been dumped by a girl?" Mino’s voice interrupted his thoughts.

Seungyoon opened his eyes and saw the members come into the music room. Mino sat beside him on the couch and threw his arm around his neck. "Are you still trying to finish that damn song? Just abandon it and write a new one!"

"I agree. You’ve been stressing yourself over it too much," Taehyun added, who took a seat in front of the piano. He started playing random chords. "Besides, I heard you singing it the other day. It’s not even that good. I’m sure you can write better songs, hyung."

Seungyoon mumbled something incoherent and threw the crumpled music sheet in Taehyun’s direction, which made everybody laugh – except for Taehyun.

"Ahh, wae?" The maknae asked, frowning. "It’s true!"

"YAA!" Seungyoon yelled, standing up from the couch and looking like he’s ready to pounce.

This time, Taehyun chuckled and used his arms to shield himself. "I’m just kidding, hyung! Stop being so moody."

Seunghoon playfully hugged Seungyoon, as if holding him back. "Don’t hurt our maknae. He’s our visual. We need him to survive."

"What are you talking about? I’m the visual," Mino interjected.

"Guys, we all know who the real visual is," Taehyun mumbled. "And he's over there, stuffing his face with leftovers," he pointed to the fridge where Jinwoo was bent down, only his visible for the boys to see.

"Aish," Seungyoon grumbled, pushing Seunghoon away before sitting down again. He leaned his head back and looked at the ceiling. As much as he wanted to joke around with the members, he was still preoccupied and worried.

Taehyun sat to his left and rested his head on Seungyoon’s shoulder. "Sorry, hyung."

Seungyoon’s lips curled up. He tapped Taehyun’s cheek lightly. "Gwaenchana."

"Keunde… who was that girl back there?" the deer-eyed boy asked, done raiding the fridge and was now eating chips, oblivious to the teasing that had gone down. "I don’t think I’ve seen her before. Is she a music major?"

Seungyoon furrowed his brows. "What girl?"

"Ah right, that girl," Mino clapped his hand. "The one at the cafeteria. She must be a new student to talk to Seungyoon so boldly."

Seungyoon bit his lip, trying to recall what happened in the cafeteria. Then he remembered that long-haired girl at the washing station who looked vaguely familiar. He shrugged. "Who knows."

"But she looked like she knows you," Seunghoon replied.

Taehyun frowned as he looked up at Seunghoon. "Hyung. Of course she knows Kang Seungyoon. Everybody knows him."

Seunghoon scratched his head. "Oh, right. I keep forgetting he’s supposed to be famous."

"That girl was kind of cute though," Mino told them with a mischievous smirk.

"Tch. Every girl is cute to you," Seungyoon snapped back and stood up. "Alright. Lunch break is over. Time to rehearse. Change your clothes and let’s meet at the dance studio in a bit."

The four guys groaned, but did as they were told and left the music room to change. They’ve been together for years as trainees and have become truly like brothers. They can laugh and joke around comfortably, but when it comes to work, Seungyoon changes into a stern authority figure. And whenever he’s in leader mode, the boys followed without qualms. Seungyoon picked up his guitar and placed it on the guitar stand beside the piano and followed them out.

 

 

Hana had narrowly escaped Yoo Kyungmi after lunch. Kyungmi told her to wait for her at the table while she visited the comfort room. But as soon as Kyungmi was gone, Hana bolted out of the cafeteria without hesitation. It was still very awkward since some girls never stopped giving her the stink eye, and she couldn’t bear sitting there all alone. Kyungmi will have to finish giving her the tour some other time.

She wandered around for a bit and eventually exited the YG High building for some fresh air. Not that the air in Seoul was any good compared to Busan air, but it’ll have to do. She str

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter