Coincidences

All is Fair in Love and Music
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Her response to his presence was instantaneous. She could feel her anger slowly creeping in, overtaking her whole body. It didn’t help that he accused her yet again of being a stalker. But instead of defending herself, Hana stood there frozen as Seungyoon gave her a frosty glare. It was possible he was even angrier than she was. Hana didn’t know how long she remained literally speechless, thinking of an appropriate retort. But she was drawing a blank. As much as she wanted to scream at the top of her lungs that she wasn’t some sasaeng fan, especially not one of a stuck-up, pompous idol-wannabe, she couldn’t. This was her place of work.  And for some godforsaken reason, she just kept running into the guy – so if she put herself in his shoes, it might seem that way. Why did the universe hate her so much?

“The minute I arrive in Seoul and you’re the first person I see. I don’t suppose you’re going to say this is just a coincidence?” Seungyoon continued. Hana noted his poison-laced tone.

“It is,” she managed to utter through gritted teeth.

Seungyoon smirked sarcastically. “It’s funny. You throw insults at me for being an idol and yet you’re here, waiting for my performance. Quite hypocritical, don’t you think?”

The scene at WINNER’s music room came tumbling back to Hana. She did mention something about him being an idol and not making real music. She felt a little smug self-satisfaction knowing now that her words got to him if he still remembered what she said.

Hana scoffed. “What makes you think I’m here for you? I didn’t even know you’d be here. And why in the world would I want to listen to your music? Please. I’ve got better taste than that.”

She could only watch as Seungyoon’s gaze darkened. For a second there, she regretted saying anything, because the look on his face was downright scary. Like he was going to explode any minute. Part of her wanted to run away and look for cover, but a bigger part of her wanted to win this fight.

Without a word, Seungyoon gripped her wrist and yanked her to the direction of Ha Neul’s office. Hana opened to protest, but nothing came out. It all happened too fast. She didn’t want to cause a scene so she was left with no choice but to get dragged by him. Seungyoon flung the door open violently and pushed Hana inside. When he stepped in, he shut the door and locked it, earning a gasp from Hana. Before she can even move or get a word in, he cornered her, trapping her body in between his outstretched arms that rested against the wall. Her eyes widened, realizing their proximity, but Seungyoon only leaned closer.

“What do you think you’re doing?!” She spat. “Move aside!” When she tried bending down to escape, Seungyoon only pulled her elbow up and loudly hit his palm on the wall space next to her arm. She flinched, but he kept his hand there as if locking her in place.

He sighed and ran his tongue over his lower lip. “You make it sound like you want nothing to do with me, but then you show up everywhere I go. At the bus from Busan. At YG High. In our private music room. In this cafe,” he muttered, his eyes boring into hers. “Is this some new strategy, huh? Get on my bad side so I notice you?”

“What?” At this point, Hana was just a mixed bag of emotions. She was furious at his allegation, scared of his behavior right now, and completely baffled, herself.

He leaned even closer, and Hana could almost feel his breath on her skin, making her feel more uncomfortable. Her heart raced wildly, but she didn’t know if it was more because of how close Seungyoon’s face was, or because she was genuinely afraid of what the boy might do to her. She became more aware that they were alone, and the fact that Seungyoon had locked the door.

“If you think you’re going to get me interested in you by doing all these things then you have another think coming,” he said gruffly. “I don’t pay attention to stupid, clingy girls who clearly don’t know their boundaries.”

Seungyoon kept his eyes on hers for what seemed like forever before he finally took a step back. Hana let out the breath she’d been holding, feeling a little safer now that Seungyoon stood further away. But he was still staring at her with fury. Hana knew it wasn’t the time to dwell on his appearance, but she couldn’t help but notice the dark circles under his eyes. And his face was visibly gaunter from the last time she saw him. Contrary to Kyungmi’s description of his ‘hotness’, he looked like a mess, to be honest.

“I don’t know what your end game is, but I can assure you that you won’t achieve it with me,” his cold voice filled the empty room. “So stop invading my personal space. I can’t do anything about you going to my school. But this cafe is important to me,” he said with finality.

“Invade your personal space?!” Hana yelled in unbridled frustration. “You brought me in here. You invaded my personal space just now! I was simply doing my job out there, you dimwit! I didn’t even know you were going to be here. It occurs to me that we’ve unfortunately crossed paths on more than one occasion, but I never planned on following you around. Hell, I didn’t even know who you were before Monday!”

Seungyoon clenched his jaw as he listened. It looked like he was going to say something, but Hana wasn’t finished yet.

“I was at the bus from Busan because I lived there happily for eighteen years, only to lose everything important to me and move to this strange, and frankly, unpleasant city without having a choice in the matter. I went to YG High because it was the closest school to my Grandmother’s house and I didn’t want to inconvenience her more than I already have. I was at that music room because your school is so ridiculously large that I got lost, and the guitar inside was the first thing that exuded warmth in that cruel, cold campus. And lastly, I’m in this cafe because I have to suffer everyday in a school full of rude teenagers who barely treat me like a human being, but here, I’ve started to feel normal again!”

She was trembling, and it didn’t occur to her that her fists were tightly clenched. It was the first time she burst out, releasing the feelings she bottled up inside for the past week. Wheezing, Hana took a deep breath. “So for once, stop thinking everything is about you. I am not a stalker. I am not a fan. And I most certainly am not trying to get your attention. If anything, I don’t want to see you as much as you don’t want to see me.”

Seungyoon’s brows were furrowed the entire time Hana spoke. If he believed her at all, it didn’t show in his face.

They both turned to look at the door when they heard somebody jiggle the knob. “Why is this locked?” Ha Neul’s voice came from outside. He tapped the surface with his palm. “Is anyone there? Seungyoon? Open this door.”

Hana didn’t think twice and opened it right away. Ha Neul’s face registered surprise when he laid eyes on her. “Hana? What are you doing—” He stopped when he saw Seungyoon a few steps away. Seungyoon averted his hostile eyes and turned around, Hana guessed, to compose himself. Ha Neul squinted, as if trying to make sense of the situation. “What were you two doing here? Do you know each other?”

Hana opened to reply, but Seungyoon beat her to it.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter