Second First Day of School

All is Fair in Love and Music
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Worst morning ever. That was Hana’s first thought when she woke up that fateful Tuesday, with barely three hours of sleep and a throbbing headache. What jolted her awake was the phone right next to her ear, blaring Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony in full volume. She was conscious enough to resist the urge to throw the damn thing against the wall in the middle of a intense battle with the snooze button, but not without kicking it as far away from her on the bed as possible. It took some time before she remembered why she set her alarm early, and when she finally did, she heaved a sigh and forced herself to gather her senses.

She had enough energy to haul her body out of bed and examine herself in the mirror, only to nearly let out a scream when she saw the gigantic zit on her forehead and the dark bags under her eyes. Hana wasn’t one of those girls who thought they were ugly despite everyone telling them otherwise. Maybe it was because she grew up with a Father who constantly told her she was beautiful (even though he exaggerated most of the time) but Hana actually liked the way she looked. Not as pretty or glamorous as most of the female students in YG High were, but she liked to think her appearance was very down-to-earth.

But she did know whenever she looked awful, and at that moment, she was a monster. If Hana had her way, she wouldn’t lay one step outside of her room until she looked human again. She winced at the thought; it was going to take copious amounts of concealer and willpower to achieve that, one of which she didn’t have. It was the worst timing to look ty and feel ty, but that’s how the universe liked to roll. Yeah, keep taunting me.

After a shower, she didn’t look half as bad. And although she normally didn’t like wearing makeup, she’d have to thank the inventors of BB cream for giving self-esteem boosts to womankind.

She intended to skip breakfast since she didn’t have much of an appetite, but her grandmother literally pushed her down the dining chair before she could slink away. The old lady was strong for her age, she’ll give her that. Indiscreet, too, Hana rolled her eyes at her grandmother who was so obviously sneaking glances her way the entire time they ate.

And she knew exactly why. She had no choice but to tell her about the situation in YG High last night, although she left out the part where YG offered for her to be a trainee (she had four more days to think about that and she’ll cross the bridge when she gets there), so she only shared her pending transfer to the music department.

Like the stubborn girl that she was, she whined to her grandmother that she didn’t want to transfer and complained that all the students in the music department, except for Kyungmi, were all snooty, self-important kids who will only be barriers to her education. And like the wise Grandmother that she had, the old lady insisted on signing the transfer form anyway and leaving Hana to decide what she was going to do with it.

“Halmeoni, you’re going to give me indigestion if you keep staring at me like that,” she dropped the piece of toast she was currently buttering and scrunched her nose.

“You know that if you graduate from YG High’s music department, that’s almost guaranteed entrance to the best music schools, right?” Her grandmother smiled sweetly. It sounded like she’d been itching to bring it up and was only waiting for her granddaughter to say something first.

Hana sighed. “I know.”

“And you get to be taught by the best music teachers South Korea has to offer?”

“I know, I know,” she set aside her bread knife and massaged her temples to ease her growing headache. “It’s foolish to even consider ignoring this opportunity. A lot of kids would probably kill for my spot… I know all of that.” She lifted her face to look at her grandmother who had a look of concern. “I thought about it long and hard, halmeoni. I know I’ll get the best education there. Kyungmi’s there, too.”

Her grandmother traced a lock of her hair and tucked it behind her ear. “So what’s stopping you?”

Hana bit her lip and didn’t answer for a while. The truth was, she was ashamed of the only thing holding her back. She convinced herself it was because of her resentment for her mother, but the more she thought about it, the more it became clear that she was only using that as an excuse.

She was scared. Plain and simple. She’s seen firsthand who the music majors were and what they can do. Did she really have what it took to be part of that world?

“What if… what if I don’t belong there?”

Hana didn’t know why but her grandmother looked relieved somehow, like she was expecting something worse and was glad that it wasn’t. She enclosed a hand over hers and smiled. “Sweetheart, in the eighteen years that I’ve watched you grow up, I’ve never seen you happier than when you’re playing your guitar or singing to your songs. Believe me, you belong wherever there is music.”

“But it’s different there,” she argued, lowering her head. “The kids are no joke, halmeoni. They live, eat, breathe music. And here I am, not even sure if I want to do music anymore.”

She gave Hana’s hand a light squeeze. “Don’t let your fears and your scars stop you from realizing what you’re truly meant to do, Hana. What would your Father tell you right now if he were still alive?”

“No fair. He’s biased. It’s music, halmeoni. He’d tell me to go for it in a heartbeat,” she frowned.

“That’s because he knows that you secretly want it,” she teasingly tapped a finger on Hana’s nose and cupped her cheek. “But it’s still up to you. I trust you’ll do what’s best for you, sweetie.”

 

The walk to YG High wasn’t all soothing, despite the cool morning air and the hot thermos of chocolate that her grandmother especially prepared for her today. The old lady seemed to know that she was in for a rough day, and as much as she appreciated the gesture, she had a feeling nothing could make her heart feel at ease.

Save for a couple of students, the campus was still pretty empty when Hana arrived. Relieved, she quickly headed to the direction of the faculty room where she intended to talk to Miss Gong. She was still unsure of what she was going to say, but she’s hoping it’ll come to her once she gets there.

“Look who’s here early.”

Oh God no. Hana groaned inwardly at hearing that voice. The morning was difficult enough as it is. Before she could reach the staircase, she turned to her left and came face-to-face with Rude Hyomin and one of her clique-members. She didn’t peg her cruel seatmate for an early bird, but then again Hana spent most of her time avoiding the girl so it wasn’t like she’d know anything about her other than she was a classic bully with a penchant for gossiping about cute boys. Hana gave them a blank look which she hoped would send the message that she didn’t plan on entertaining their bullying, and took a step away.

She was nearly knocked back when Rude Hyomin had sidestepped and blocked her way. “Rude much?”

Hana let loose a scoff. Of all the adjectives this girl had to describe her, she chooses the one Hana was certain was more accurate to describe herself. She really didn’t have time to deal with this. She feigned an apologetic look. “Sorry, did you want me to greet you girls? Good morning! Satisfied? Bye.” Hana made a move to leave, but Rude Hyomin’s friend placed a palm against her shoulder to stop her.

“This is exactly why nobody likes you. Acting like you’re better than the rest of us. You even had the nerve to talk to Jennie,” Rude Hyomin’s smirk turned into a deadly glare. “Just who do you think you are? You’re just some country slob that we’ve had the misfortune of getting as our classmate.”

Hana would have reacted the same way she did every time she heard remarks like this – with restrained indignation and a couldn’t-care-less façade – if it weren’t for the fact that she didn’t have the energy for it. As far as she was concerned, there were far more overwhelming things going on in her life than the treatment she was experiencing now.

“What exactly is your point?” Hana demanded with little energy. She wasn’t interested at all in what Rude Hyomin or her friend had to say, but she had a feeling they weren’t going to let her go unless they finish whatever it was that they wanted to say to her.

“The point is simple,” Rude Hyomin replied cockily. She gave Hana a once over. “The reason why you’re an outcast is because people like you don’t belong here. The sooner you realize that, the sooner you can stop being such a and start acting like the loser that you are. Or better yet, do all of us a favor and go back to where you came from.”

Hana knew she should be affected, or hurt somehow, and yet she felt nothing. Nothing, except for some kind of twisted anticipation of this girl’s reaction when she finds out that this country slob was personally scouted by YG to be a trainee. Hana was aware it was immature and petty thinking that, but hey, these brats have been on her case since school started. It wasn’t her fault that as annoying as the universe could be sometimes, it did have a sense of poetic justice. Was it really so wrong to want to see Rude Hyomin eat her words?

And that’s when it hit her.

Hana faced the two girls and smiled. “You know what? I think you’re right. I don’t belong here.” She raised the envelope she was holding. “Thanks for the help. I’ve been agonizing over something and you just made my decision easier.”

The confused expression on their faces got a kick out of Hana, and she was willing to leave it at that, if it weren’t for Rude Hyomin yanking her arm.

“YA! I’m not finished!”

Hana exhaled loudly and turned to Hyomin, pulling her arm free from the girl’s grip. Hana’s eyes were steady and cold, causing Hyomin to shift her stance slightly. She didn’t like losing her temper – not for inconsequential things or people like them, but once and for all, she gave in to the burning feeling inside. They were going too far.

“I don’t know what I won’t miss more. Your rude mouth or your shallow need to feel important by surrounding yourself with minions,” Hana spat coolly, taking a quick glance at Rude Hyomin’s friend who looked away in embarrassment. “For your sake, I sincerely hope you get over your insecurities and find something more worthwhile than bullying the new kid or spreading gossip about boys who don’t even know you exist.”

Rude Hyomin’s face went beet red, her eyes almost bulging out of their so

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter