The Art of Eavesdropping

All is Fair in Love and Music
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Little note: Just a heads up, this chapter isn't fluffy at all, huhu. Will try to make it up to you soon. Thanks again! Hello new subscribers! :))

 

Kyungmi opened her locker to grab the textbooks she needed for her next classes when she heard the trainees rush into the halls. Their hearty laughs and excited chatter filled the space, still hyped up about the surprise jam session that just concluded. She willed herself not to look in their direction, afraid that she might get one of those judgmental stares again, and she was in too much of a good mood for it to be ruined. With a sigh, she kept her eyes on the contents of her locker and bit the insides of her cheeks nervously, knowing the trainees were going to pass by her and disappear after a few seconds anway. She tightened her hold on her textbooks against her chest, hoping those seconds would go by faster.

“Did you enjoy the show, princess?”

Kyungmi’s heart lurched when she heard that familiar, saccharine voice. She managed to close her eyes briefly and mentally give herself some encouragement before turning to look at the speaker. She smiled faintly at Jennie who were with flanked by Jisoo and Junhoe. The rest of the music majors just whizzed past them without so much as a second glance.

“Y-yes, I did. Very much,” Kyungmi replied genuinely. She knew she should have just kept quiet, but for some reason, she felt a little braver today. Maybe because she’d finally found a friend?

Jennie looked a little surprised by her response, but she quickly grinned as she turned to her companions. “She’s getting bolder, isn’t she?”

Junhoe let out a mocking laugh. “Maybe she’s in a good mood because Daddy gave her a new car. Or perhaps he bought her a new school?”

Kyungmi stiffened at his words, and Jennie must have sensed it because she took one step closer to her, like a predator circling a weak prey. “Maybe you should transfer, then, princess. We can’t have daddy’s girls like yourself loitering around YG, dirtying up the place. I refuse to have my school be thought of as a place for talentless hacks.”

Junhoe and Jisoo laughed while Jennie kept looking at her expectantly, as if challenging her for a reply.

Kyungmi gulped, taking a tiny step back as her heart thudded against her chest. Jennie was as vicious as she’d ever been since day one. And while Kyungmi might have thought she would be immune to her poisonous words by now, she was still affected so much by her and her friends. Granted, she tries to forget the bullying when she gets home, and her head would be filled with positive thoughts that maybe tomorrow, it wouldn’t be so bad. But no matter how optimistic she was, one just doesn’t get used to being insulted face to face.

Kyungmi could feel herself trembling, her knuckles turning white from clutching her books too tight. A sob was stuck in that she was actually scared she might cry right then and there. But she suppressed it with all her might.

“I guess she’s back to being a coward,” Jisoo piped from beside Jennie.

Jennie raised her hand and reached for Kyungmi’s face. She flinched instinctively, but Jennie just patted Kyungmi’s head like she was petting a five year old child. “There, there. Don’t look too pitiful, girl. You’re going to inherit your Dad’s wealth anyway.”

“W—why…” Kyungmi stammered, feeling a burning sensation in her chest while the corners of her eyes stung with unshed tears. Again, she knew she should have just kept it in since they were bound to leave her alone soon anyway. But something about what Hana said at lunch got to her. You’re too nice, Kyungmi. “What… what did I ever do to you?” Kyungmi squeaked under her breath, it was barely audible. But she knew Jennie heard.

Jennie withdrew her hand and crossed her arms, her eyes growing colder with every second. They seemed to pierce into Kyungmi, filling her with dread. “You want to know why we treat you this way?” Jennie spat, looking like she couldn’t believe Kyungmi was even asking the obvious. “Because you’re what’s wrong with the system. I don’t care if you’re the daughter of the President of South Korea or if you can buy YG five times over, if you don’t have the skills, you shouldn’t be here,” she added spitefully. “People like us sacrifice everything we’ve got – our families, our childhood, our personal lives! We shed blood, sweat, and tears for one shot at our dreams that could be taken away from us any minute. But you? One flick of your parents’ fingers and you can have anything you ever want. While we have to work our asses off for years just to get a fraction of what you can have in one day.”

Kyungmi could hear the bitterness in Jennie’s voice, and she could feel her rage from where she stood. It was so palpable, and so real. This girl hated her. That much, she knew.

“Did you see us at the quadrangle?” Jennie continued. “That’s how it’s done, princess. And you’ll never be able to do what we did. But what’s irritating, what eats me up inside, is that you will ALWAYS have it better than we do. So tell me, how else are we supposed to treat you if you’re the reminder of everything that’s unfair in this world?”

There was a short pause before Jennie stepped back. “Now shoo and go back to your mansion and your fancy dinners because this is OUR territory. And you’re not welcome here.”

With that, Jennie walked past her, bumping her arm. Kyungmi moved aside to clear their path, her back pressing against the lockers. She looked up to see Junhoe give her a scathing glare before following the two girls. As their footsteps faded, Kyungmi felt tears burn her eyes and trickle down her cheeks. She hung her head low, hoping no one would see her like this. Her knees had gone wobbly that she had to lean on the lockers just to keep herself from falling. She lost grip of her books when she reached to wipe her face with her hands. They dropped to the floor, and Kyungmi could only stare at them.

She was snapped out of her stupor when she saw someone bent down, picking them up. When he rose to his full height, Kyungmi’s eyes widened to see Nam Taehyun looking back at her. His eyes were unfriendly, and he didn’t offer any smile. He pushed the books into her hands, which she received immediately. Without a word, he turned to leave. It was only then that she noticed Jinwoo behind him, seemingly waiting for Taehyun. The older boy looked at her thoughtfully before walking out with WINNER’s maknae. She realized that they probably saw her tears, and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter