Introducing WINNER

All is Fair in Love and Music
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hana looked down at her new high school uniform, then at the huge building in front of her and sighed. While some people might like new beginnings, she preferred consistency. Her old high school may not have looked as fancy as this new one, but it was comfortable. Her friends were also comfortable. She liked it that way – simple and easy. But everything about this new school screamed ‘uptight’ and ‘posh’. Surrounding the school were coffee shops, tea shops, restaurants. As she walked by them, she saw several students in the same uniform inside. They’re all just spoiled Seoul brats.

She shook her head and braced herself. Just blend in, she thought. She wasn’t sure if she can pull it off, considering Seoul students were a bit different from Busan students. And even in Busan, her old school was considered old-fashioned.

Hana was introduced as a transfer student at the first class that morning. When she stood in front, her classmates didn’t even give her the slightest interest. They all looked at her with bored expressions, and clapped with no enthusiasm. But a tiny part of her was relieved they acted that way. There was no reason for her to be close to anyone here in Seoul. So she’ll be a loner, that wasn’t so bad.

When lunch break came, Hana was already exhausted. She stayed inside the room and waited til everyone was gone before she sprawled on her desk. "I really don’t belong here," she said out loud.

"Excuse me, are you Baek Hana?"

Hana’s body jerked upright as soon as she heard someone’s voice. She looked up and saw a girl by the door smiling at her. She had short dark hair and striking bangs. Her dimple made her look young. She was really pretty, too. Then again, almost all the girls in that school looked pretty. "Yes, that’s me," she replied awkwardly.

"Good!" The girl approached her and extended her hand. "My name is Yoo Kyungmi. Welcome to YG High."

Hana took her hand and shook it. "Ah yeah, thanks."

"I was instructed by the office to give you a tour of the school. You’ll find that it has excellent facilities."

Hana looked at the girl and wondered how someone can be so bright and perky. "You really don’t have to, I’m fine. I can just look around by my…"

"I insist!" The girl interjected, her cheerful expression making Hana feel a little burdened. "Don’t worry, it’s really our job to make sure that new students get acquainted to school life here in YG. That way, you’ll be able to adjust easily."

Adjust easily? Tss. Not going to happen. "Arasso," Hana responded out of courtesy. The sooner she gets this tour over with, the sooner she could become a loner again.

"Assa!" Kyungmi cheered brightly and took Hana’s hand. "Come on, let’s start by having lunch at the cafeteria. YG High has the best cafeteria in all of Seoul," she bragged.

Hana nodded her head awkwardly and let Kyungmi drag her.

Kyungmi was right. The food was awesome, Hana thought. She wondered how high school students can have such a fancy lunch in school. She savored every bite as if she was going to run out of food. Kyungmi sat across her, eating eagerly as well. Once in a while, Kyungmi would look up at her and smile widely. How she can manage to have so much energy was beyond Hana.

Suddenly, a group of five boys entered the cafeteria. For some reason, the place suddenly seemed a lot quieter when they walked in. Hana’s jaw dropped slightly at the sight of them. It was as if they had just stepped out of a magazine and were walking in slow motion. Hana noticed a lot of students turned to look at them; she could swear all of the girls swooned. She wasn’t sure if she should be impressed at the boys, or repulsed at the girls for being so shallow.

Not only was it odd that the atmosphere became different when they arrived, but it was also apparent that they stood out – because all of them were wearing altered uniforms. Hana looked around and realized that all the students wore their prescribed uniform properly. But why do these dudes look different? One was wearing a beanie, which she was sure wasn’t appropriate. One changed the color of his tie; one even had a leather jacket on instead of their school blazer.

Kyungmi must have noticed Hana looking over her shoulder because she turned around to see what it was that Hana was staring at.

"Earth to Hana," Kyungmi said, snapping Hana out of her daze.

‘Hmm?’ Hana looked at her blankly.

Kyungmi smiled knowingly. "Yeokshi. No one is really immune to those five," she said. "So you recognize them, huh?"

Hana furrowed her brows. Recognize them? "What do you mean? Are they famous?"

The girl let out a laugh. "Uhm yeah, everyone knows who they are. WINNER," she said matter-of-factly, as if that was supposed to explain everything.

"WINNER?" Hana tilted her head. "What… did they win exactly?"

Kyungmi widened her eyes, as if she had just heard something unbelievable. "Oh my God, you really don’t know who they are? Daebak," she put her chopsticks down and looked at her intently. "Kang Seungyoon? Lee Seunghoon? Ring a bell?"

Hana scratched her head, still clueless. "Am I supposed to know them?"

"DAEBAK." Kyungmi threw her head back and chuckled. "Wah. You’re so cool, Hana. Are you one of those hipsters who don’t care about trends and popularity? Because I’ve never met anyone like that."

"O…kayyyy. Uhm. I’m not so sure about being a hipster but thanks, I guess?" She didn’t exactly know how not knowing a bunch of guys made her cool but she’ll take it.

"Okay then! Let me introduce you to WINNER, my friend. If you want to su

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter