Jinki's complications

The First Kiss Campaign

 

“What am I doing wrong?!” Kibum suddenly exclaimed in frustration after having been watching Taemin and Jinki read and take notes quietly, making both of them jump in surprise and the librarian, who was sorting books, look at them in dissatisfaction.

They were studying in the library, Kibum tagging along as their ‘moral support’ (as he had put it) since Minho was out with Jonghyun on some errand and he couldn’t come along. The blonde had been sitting with his arms crossed and a frown upon his forehead the entire time since he had joined them. The other two hadn’t really bothered to inquire what the problem was since they were too busy trying to learn things they had put on hold for a few days. Their friend had finally burst, though, which was why they now put their pens down and graced him with their attention, knowing the other wouldn’t sit quietly any longer.

“I can name a few things, but to save time; what exactly are you referring to?” Taemin asked.

Kibum narrowed his eyes at him dangerously. “Ha, ha, very funny. I meant with Minho!”

Jinki froze slightly and saw Taemin's eyes waver in his direction. Luckily their friend didn’t seem to notice.

“He doesn’t get any of my hints! Is he blind?!”

“Ssh!” The librarian put her finger to , glaring at them, and Jinki gave her an apologetic smile.

“I don’t know…” he said, taking off his reading glasses when the woman turned back to her task and pretending to polish them in favour of not looking at the other. He had a hard time keeping his voice level as it was.

“I mean, I am literally almost screaming it in his face by now and he has no idea!”

“Are you really sure your intentions are clear?” The boy asked.

Kibum gave him a disbelieving look. “I texted him to come to my room because I needed help with an English assignment and then opened the door without a shirt and wet hair and he didn’t even bat an eyelash!” he complained. “And you are already very well aware that I know English as if it were my mother tongue!” He sank down in his chair and rested his head on the backrest, scowling up at the ceiling. “I have practically used every trick I know and it has always worked on all the other guys I’ve dated, but that idiot just doesn’t get it!”

Jinki bit his lip, the corners of his mouth twitching slightly. Even if this was not according to his plan at all, he had to smile. He couldn’t help the delighted and heart-warming feeling of knowing Minho was not that easily distracted. It made his heart swell and his chest warm.

“Uh, well,” was his intelligent answer and Taemin only lifted one of his shoulders in a  ‘what-are-you-supposed-to-do’ pose.

Their blond friend let his gaze travel between them, his eyes narrowed. “Ugh, you’re no help at all!” he grumbled disgruntledly and stood up. “I’m gonna go hang out with my roommate who actually listens, compared to you two unhelpful dorks,” he muttered and shuffled away down one of the aisles lined by bookshelves.

“We love you too!” Taemin called after him and they got another irritated ‘ssh!’ from the librarian. He gave her a blinding smile and she mumbled something before turning back to what she was doing while they returned their attention to their notes.

“He’s not realising some things blaring in his face either,” the boy mumbled after a few moments, without looking up.

“Taemin,” Jinki sighed. He had no desire to argue about something they both clearly couldn’t agree on. Thankfully, the other was quiet about it for the rest of their study session.

An hour and a half later Jinki threw his pen down and stretched his arms above his head with a yawn, feeling the joints in his spine pop satisfactorily. Taemin put his pen down as well and rubbed his eyes with the heel of his hands, groaning slightly before looking out the window at the dark sky.

“What time is it?” he asked groggily.

“About six-thirty,” Jinki answered, checking the time. “We’ve been going for ten hours.” The boy groaned again. “You wanna eat something?”

The boy nodded with a yawn of his own.

“I’m tired of all the kings and their pompous life styles,” he muttered sullenly as they made their way down the aisles of books after packing up. “And why do they have such similar names?!” he said in frustration.

Jinki chuckled and opened one of the many glass doors leading to the entry hall of the library. “I’m glad I don’t need to keep all those people inside my head, I just need to remember some formulas.”

The boy shot him a resentful look before abruptly stopping, face going blank to then scrunch up in dismay.

“I forgot my wallet,” he muttered. “Wait here, I’ll be quick.”

He disappeared before Jinki could even open his mouth. He rolled his eyes amusedly and leaned against the wall, looking out the window and calculating the difference in time it would take if they took a shortcut through all of the snow, taking into consideration the energy and workload, as well as how the sound waves they emitted would bounce off the snow. He was so caught up in his formulas and calculations he didn’t notice the person stopping in front of him until they cleared their throat. He blinked and looked up to meet big, dark brown eyes accompanied by a gentle smile, which made his heart fly up his throat and he let out a small, choked cough.

“Hey Hyung,” Minho said in a low, soothing tone that made Jinki's legs turn into jelly.

“Uh- uhuh,” he croaked and the other’s smile widened, his expression amused and his eyes taking in the books in Jinki's arms.

“Why didn’t you tell me you were going to study today?” he asked. “I could have come.”

“We-well,” Jinki scrambled to get out a coherent answer, his face growing hot. His brain had had no time to prepare for this encounter. “I a-always end up talking with you instead.”

The taller laughed. “True, but I think it’s kind of nice. Don’t you?”

Jinki let out an awkward laugh as well. “Yeah,” he said sheepishly. Was Minho flirting with him?

They stood staring at each other for a while and Jinki could have sworn he saw the other’s hand in the corner of his eye twitch slightly, looking like he wanted to touch him. He took a deep breath, about to make some excuse to go back inside the library and find Taemin when the other leaned in a little. Jinki looked at him with wide eyes, pressing harder up against the wall, his heart doing its own little action show inside his chest and his cheeks heating up even more as he could feel the heat of the other more clearly and smell his cologne. His palms were starting to get damp, his hands and legs trembling slightly.

“Hyung-” Minho started, and then stopped abruptly as he seemed to consider something before getting a determined expression. “Jinki,” the taller said slowly, like he was testing the feel of his name in his mouth and Jinki thought he would faint on the spot, his breath refusing to come out and his heart pounding so loudly he could barely hear his own thoughts. He couldn’t even protest because he absolutely loved the way Minho said his name.

“Do you want to go watch a movie?” the other asked, leaning in even closer and taking a step forward as well, completely trapping Jinki against the wall.

He blinked rapidly, trying his damnedest to not look at the taller’s lips, or worse, erase the small distance and kiss them.

“I-I…”

He couldn’t think straight with how close the other was and the way his name had sounded coming from those very kissable lips still fresh in his mind. He managed to catch his sanity just before it completely slipped out of his grip and forced himself to take a calming breath, looking out the window and thus missing the shadow of hurt passing Minho’s eyes.

“T-that’s a great idea!” he managed to get out, sounding as enthusiastic and unbothered as he could (although his face was pink and his voice quivered). He racked his brain, remembering Taemin and Jonghyun talking about some animated movie they wanted to see. “Let’s all go to the movies! Taemin has been wanting to see that new animation thing!”

“No, Hyung,” the other sounded almost pleading. Jinki would never admit to being disappointed as the other went back to using honorifics. “I meant-”

“And I think I heard Jonghyun mention it too!” he refused to listen. “While we’re at it, why not take Kibum along! He’s going to feel lonely if-”

“I’m back, Hyung!” Taemin suddenly appeared and Minho distanced himself slightly from their close proximity. The boy smirked. “Hi, Minho-Hyung.”

Jinki thanked all the heavens above that his black haired friend was there, saving him from the impossible task of turning Minho’s offer down. He wasn’t stupid. He knew the taller was asking for only the two of them to go together. Alone. Like a date.

Minho gave the boy a weak smile in return, making his smirk turn into a quizzical expression.

“So, what were you talking about?” he asked, looking at Jinki curiously and taking in his flushed face.

He managed to give the boy a wide smile, although he was feeling a slightly clenching sensation in his chest. But it was for the better cause, right?

“Minho here just came up with the awesome idea that we all should go to the movies together!” he said cheerily, his voice loud and obnoxiously fake in his own ears. “I suggested the new movie you and Jjong wanted to watch!”

Taemin’s eyes widened slightly, his gaze gliding over to Minho. Then he got a small frown on his forehead, giving the oldest a sceptical look.

“Hyung, I don’t think-” his best friend started.

“Let’s send a message to Kibum and Jonghyun right now!” Jinki interrupted, trying to discretely convey to the boy that he simply could not go alone with Minho. Taemin spent a few seconds more sceptically looking at him before he silently sighed and nodded.

“Okay…” he muttered.

“Great!” Jinki said, relieved. “I’ll text Kibum! You should tell Jonghyun, Minho!”

He pulled out his phone and started typing furiously. He thought he heard the youngest mutter a ‘sorry’ to Minho, but he wasn’t too sure. The taller shrugged and took out his phone as well, typing a message to his best friend.

Kibum was ecstatic, to say the least. He latched himself onto Minho's arm as soon as they gathered by the main entrance, chattering away happily while starting to lead the way to the theatre. The taller looked back, seeking Jinki's eyes, but he refused to look at him except for when he was blissfully unaware of his staring by having his back turned.

Taemin wasn’t talking to him and he had forced Jonghyun to walk with him at the back, leaving Jinki awkwardly trapped in the middle. He didn’t mind though. There was a lump lodged in his throat, making it hard for him to talk without sounding like he was about to cry, and he felt cold all over, which definitely was not caused by the chilly air around them. He was fine with being left alone at the moment so that he could gather his thoughts and feelings together before he had to interact with the others again. He would be able to handle it, no problem! He told himself, trying hard to believe his own words.

Except, his youngest friend is a little jerk and hands him the ticket with the seat number at the end, next to Minho's, and takes the other Minho-connected seat for himself, which happens to be in the middle and thus forcing Jonghyun and Kibum to sit beside each other. Jinki narrows his eyes dangerously at the boy, but he is still not done ignoring his Hyung and only turns on his heel and leaves after giving him one simple look that told him of painful deaths if he even considered switching with Kibum.

Jinki sighed and placed himself in line to buy them drinks and snacks together with Jonghyun.

“Kibum's trying really hard to make Taemin switch seats with him,” the shorter chuckled, glancing over his shoulder every now and then. Jinki threw an irritated glare at him and he held up his hands in defence. “Hey, don’t be mad at me! I had nothing to do with this!” Jonghyun tried but sighed in defeat at the others disbelieving stare. “Okay, I might or might not have told Taemin to do something so that my best friend won’t have to suffer, but that’s all.”

“You’re so stubborn!” Jinki growled.

“Now, look here!” the other huffed. “Who’s the one that’s really the blockhead, huh? Let me give you a little hint; the name starts with Jink and ends with an i.”

“That’s not my name,” he said defiantly. “I’m Jinki, not Jinki.”

“Oh, come on!” the other groaned. “Why do you-” he stopped abruptly when he saw Minho approaching them and a smirk spread across his face. “You know what, solve this with Minho! I’ll go distract the root of your problems!”

“Jonghyun, don’t you dare,” Jinki warned but it was too late and the other had already taken of with a ‘Hey Kibum!’, leaving him to awkwardly shuffle his feet as Minho came to stand beside him.

“I think we’re sitting next to each other,” the taller said, a small smile gracing his lips and delight shining in his eyes.

“I guess we are,” Jinki laughed nervously, nervous butterflies waking up in his stomach. “Kibum kind of wants to sit beside you though, maybe you could change with Jonghyun?”

Minho gave him a puzzled frown. “Why? I spent all the way here with him, I want to be with you now.”

Jinki swallowed thickly, trying to come up with something smart enough to let out of his mouth.

“Well, we’ll be watching a movie the entire time anyway, so why does it matter?”

“Exactly.”

He realised he had set his own trap when Minho smiled at him victoriously. Jinki couldn’t help the corners of his mouth tugging upwards, letting out an amused snort while rolling his eyes. The other chuckled at him.

“Sir,” a voice behind him said, “you’re holding up the line.”

Jinki spun around so fast he stumbled backwards slightly. He was indeed holding up the line, too caught up in Minho to notice the people before him had already ordered and paid. But that was the least of his worries at the moment, because the very person who was the reason he hadn’t been paying attention had put his firm, warm hand on the small of his back to steady him and a shock went up his spine at the contact. He looked up at Minho and got caught in his big, dark eyes, his breath hitching and his heart threatening to beat out of his chest as the background kind of just faded away. Why was he suddenly so close?

“Sir?”

Jinki blinked a few times, the world around returning again.

“Right,” he mumbled and managed to move away from the taller although every cell in his body protested against it. He quickly placed his order and paid, the warmth on his lower back seeming to have settled for at least a few more hours if not for an eternity, leaving a pink tint on his cheeks.

He couldn’t concentrate on the movie after that, sitting on pins and needles trying not to come in contact with the other again. He wasn’t sure he could handle it without giving away precisely everything he felt.

However, his efforts were in vain as Minho, twenty minutes into the movie, snatched one of his clenched fists from it position on his knees to put it on the armrest between them. Jinki turned to him in shock and met his eyes in the darkness, seeing a questioning shine in them. He really didn’t have the willpower to fight against the very overpowering need to give the other what he wanted and let his palm open, allowing Minho to intertwine their fingers.

He was so infinitely glad his blush could not be seen in the dark room or his heartbeat couldn’t be heard above the movie. Because he was sure that his whole exterior was bellowing exactly how he felt at that moment.

But he would never consciously admit to it.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: So I give you this because... I'm nice...? I just started writing and it ended up as an entire new chapter, so I guess I shouldn't let you wait ;P

I hope you liked this becasue in the next one it's getting better.... hehehe... (<-- supposed to be a foreboding laugh -.-)

And the story hit 100 subs xD Thank you!

Love you all! <3<3<3<3

Bye~!