Setting it straight

The First Kiss Campaign

 

It took Jinki five days to get over his and Minho's encounter. Five days to stop randomly crying and actually get the energy to get up. Five days for him to start putting his mind on his studies instead, which had suffered enough ever since the tall underclassman came into the picture.

Taemin had let him be, knowing that nothing he could do or say would make any difference at all. Instead he always seemed to be outside their room, coming and going in an irritated mood. Jinki probably should have asked, but he felt too miserable to bother. He was pathetic, he knew that, however, he really couldn’t bring himself to go back to being the way he had been before this mess just yet.

The professors gave Jinki worried looks and asked him if he was okay when he finally turned up for classes on the sixth day, telling him to take it easy since he still looked sick. Jinki wanted to laugh at them. Was being in love a sickness? Was breaking his own and the one he loved’s heart considered an illness? Because sickness and illness were curable, and Jinki couldn’t seem to come up with any cure to his state at the moment no matter how many perfect scores he had gotten in biology and chemistry.

So he continued to feel miserable as he dragged himself through the day in a zombie like state, avoiding the bigger corridors in fear of bumping into Kibum or Minho and coming late to almost every one of his classes. He was so out of it he didn’t even notice a short, blond haired male stomp right up to him after he excited his classroom twenty minutes after everyone had left, having fallen asleep during the lecture. It was a good thing it had been his last class.

He didn’t have much time to react, as Jonghyun's furious face was suddenly so close to his their noses almost touched and he was brutally shoved into the wall, his head hitting the hard concrete and making him groan in pain, squeezing his eyes shut.

“You stupid, ing moron,” his assaulter hissed fiercely. Jinki blinked his eyes open and managed a glare at him.

Excuse me?” he hissed back.

“I could kill you,” Jonghyun growled threateningly, grabbing the front of Jinki's shirt. “I’m nearly forced to have Minho on suicide watch because of you!”

Jinki's heart sank and he stopped breathing. “Y-you what?!”

“HE HASN’T EATEN FOR DAYS, REFUSES TO GET OUT OF THE ROOM TO GO TO CLASS AND HASN’T EVEN SPOKEN A WORD SINCE YOU BROKE HIS HEART!” the shorter yelled, shaking him slightly. “HE DOESN’T EVEN LET ME OPEN THE FRICKING BLINDS! HIS NEXT STEP MIGHT VERY WELL BE TO KILL HIMSELF! WHAT THE HAVE YOU DONE TO HIM?!”

“I-I- he- Kibum-” Jinki stammered.

“HE DOESN’T ING WANT KIBUM, YOU PRICK!” Jonghyun shouted at the top of his lungs, making the few students in still in the corridor look at them in fright. He glared at them before closing his eyes and taking a deep, forced breath to calm down. “What exactly did you think you were doing when you literally wrenched Minho's heart out, put it in a mixer and made yourself a bloody smoothie?”

Jinki flinched at the image, his stomach rolling and his heart sinking yet again. That had absolutely not been his intention. And besides, he had believed Kibum could console Minho better than he could.

“I-I just trusted Kibum to… make it better… to take care of him…”

Jonghyun snorted. “No such luck. Besides, Kibum is not the one for Minho.”

“B-but Jonghyun, I-I… can’t do this to my best friend! He was already in love with Minho before I was!”

“Does it matter?!” the other exclaimed exasperatedly. “Love doesn’t work by a time schedule, Hyung! How stupid are you?!”

“I know that Kibum can make it better if he just-” Jinki refused to listen, as he had learned to do these past weeks.

However, Jonghyun managed to silence him with a murderous glare.

“The one Minho needs to make things better is you,” he growled and jabbed his finger into Jinki's chest painfully. “You need to come clean to him about everything! And then let him decide what he wants to do! Because I’m not sure he will still want to be with you, even if he loves you!” Jonghyun threatened and stepped away, letting Jinki relax slightly while watching him intently. “Hyung, do you love him?”

Jinki started slightly. “Wha-”

Do. You. Love. Minho,” Jonghyun hissed.

“I…” he almost choked on the words in his throat. He had never admitted out loud that he loved Minho. Just in his head, and he had been drunk even. Jonghyun continued to glare at him, daring him to lie.

“I… yes… I do…” he said silently and miserably.

“Then ing tell him!”

And with that the other spun around on his heel and marched away, leaving Jinki to stare after him. It took him a moment to remember what he was supposed to do, but when he did he dropped everything he was holding and started running as fast as he could, the only thing on his mind Minho. He had hurt him. He had hurt him more than he ever thought he would in the stupid belief that he was doing something for the better. Because he had believed the other would be able to let Kibum help him move on, to help him forget about Jinki. He realised now how foolish that belief had been. He had messed with Minho's heart so much that Kibum couldn’t possibly be able to make it better. Jinki could only hope he wasn’t too late to mend it either, messing the underclassman up for good.

He skidded to a stop outside Minho and Jonghyun's room door, allowing himself one minute to calm his breath and heart and prepare for what he was about to do, snakes coming alive in his stomach. Then he raised his hand shakily and knocked three times, trying to make a plan (not that any of his plans ever seemed good) of what to say. There was a shuffle on the other side and Minho’s hoarse voice telling him to wait a second before the door was swung open.

A lump formed in his throat as he took in the taller’s red eyes, the dark bags underneath them, his unfixed hair and the way he was squinting at the light falling in from the corridor as if he hadn’t seen the sun for days. He was wearing noting but boxers and a t-shirt, all covered up in the duvet cover he had drawn around himself.

“Minho,” Jinki whispered.

He just stared at him, looking like his heart was breaking all over again before he set his mouth and started to close the door.

“Wait!” Jinki called desperately.

“If you’re here to try and push me into Kibum’s arms again, then leave!” Minho growled, the door almost closed. “I don’t want to hear it! How many times are you planning on hurting me?!”

The lump in Jinki’s throat grew a little bigger and he tried to swallow around it. Then he threw himself at the door, forcing it to open again with all the strength he had. Minho, caught off guard by the sudden action, had to let go of the handle and Jinki tumbled inside the room. He would have ended up falling on his face if Minho’s instincts hadn’t kicked in and he caught him in his arms. Jinki’s heart jumped out of his chest at the body contact he craved so much and was about to grab onto the other and never let him go when he was shoved away, stumbling backwards this time instead and hitting the door with his back, closing it with a loud bang. They stood staring at each other, the only light in the room coming from the small lamp on Minho’s bedside table. Then Jinki cleared his throat nervously, having absolutely no idea of how to start.

“H-how are you?” he asked, which had to be the most stupid thing that had ever come out of his mouth because he could clearly see the other was hurting.

Minho glared at him in angry disbelief before he turned around and strode over to his bed, flinging himself down on it and pulling the covers above his head.

“Go away,” a mutter came from under them.

Jinki stood helplessly in the small entrance, wondering if it was safe to approach the lump on the bed or if he should just leave.

No, he told himself, he caused this and he was going to fix it. He squared his shoulders, pushed away from the door and went to sit at the floor right beside Minho’s bed, taking a deep shaky breath.

“I… I’m sorry…” he apologised in a murmur. Minho didn’t make any sort of movement or sound to acknowledge him but he continued anyway, sure that the other was listening intently to his every word. “I’m so sorry. I shouldn’t have done any of the things I did to you. I’m an idiot and I thought that Kibum would be able to make you feel better and I’m so sorry that I hurt you this much. I thought it would only be me who was hurting in the end but apparently I was completely wrong.”

“Yeah, you were,” Minho muttered.

Jinki let out a small sigh, trying to get rid of the lump still lodged in his throat, making his voice sound slightly choked. Then he crawled onto the bed, seating himself on the edge and pulling at the covers gently.

“Minho, could you look at me?” The other kept a tight grip on the sheet and Jinki tugged harder. “Please? I want to see you.”

“You haven’t done anything to be able to look at me for almost a week, what changed now?” he growled and the lump in Jinki’s throat grew again.

“I-I… Minho…” he pleaded.

The other lowered the cover slowly, staring up at the ceiling. Jinki bit his lip as he felt the first tear silently glide down his cheek, his heart getting painfully stabbed to see the hurt on the other’s face, knowing it was because of him. He put a hand to Minho’s cheek making him look down at him in surprise that turned to poorly masked concern when he saw his tears.

“I don’t know what to do. I really am truly very sorry. Please forgive me,” he sniffled. Minho just stared at him. “I love you. You don’t have to return the feelings anymore but I love you.”

“Isn’t it just a small crush stemmed from a certain string of events?” the other muttered and Jinki had to admit the words stung, even if they were his own used back at him. “You’re just in love with the kiss, right?”

“I lied,” Jinki said in a sob. “It was never just the kiss.”

Minho looked at him for a moment more as he tried to stop crying (and failed). Then he let his gaze return to the ceiling and let out a long, deep sigh.

“How do I know you won’t just dump me on my as soon as Kibum wiggles his fingers in disapproval?” he asked, sounding exhausted and broken. “How do I know this won’t happen again, Jinki?”

“It wont,” Jinki breathed through a sniffle. “I can’t go back now… I’m here because I gave up on Kibum.”

“Well, that’s nice to know,” Minho said sarcastically.

Jinki swallowed and closed his eyes for a moment. “I just… wanted to apologise and… tell you I love you for once. I’ve been keeping it in and ignoring it for ages. I just had to let you know.”

Minho continued to stare at the ceiling and Jinki continued to stare at his face, tears running silently down his cheeks. Silence stretched between them, Jinki drinking in every dip and turn of Minho’s face while the other stared stubbornly at the ceiling, his Adam’s apple bobbing as he swallowed harshly, and cried quietly, letting the tears run down his temples uninterruptedly.

He had screwed up, Jinki knew that. And it was a major screw up at that, but he had honestly not known it would become like this. He had messed with the person he loved for the sake of his best friend. He had lost his best friend because of the person he loved. And he had broken everyone’s heart. Even now he was messing everything up when he was trying to make it better. He selfishly came and told Minho he loved him when all he had done was lie to him and refuse him.

Jinki started feeling nauseous, furious with himself and his inability to do anything the right way. He was just about to get off the bed and leave, giving up hope of ever making things right, when Minho let out a disgruntled sound and pulled him down into his arms, tucking his head under his chin.

“Jinki,” he murmured, his breath hitching slightly from tears, “do you have any idea how much I loathe that I love you so irrevocably and completely? It’s making me a mess and I shouldn’t even think about giving you a chance after the emotional you put me through but I’m weak.”

Jinki gripped the front of Minho’s shirt tightly, scooting closer as the other’s arms tightened around him.

“You make me feel so complete it’s scary,” Minho whispered now. “If you run away because of Kibum again I don’t know what I’ll do.”

“I’m sorry,” Jinki said again, fresh tears gathering in his eyes and running down his face sideways as he put his arms around Minho's waist. “I’m sorry, Minho.”

“Jinki,” the other sighed and his hair gently. “Goddammit I love you!” he sounded almost angry with himself, but still held Jinki to him tenderly, pressing his lips to the crown of his head.

Jinki hugged him tighter, burying his face in his chest.

“I love you too,” he mumbled. “I’m sorry.”

“I’m not going to say it’s okay,” Minho murmured into his hair, “but please stop apologising.”

“Okay,” Jinki whispered, hugging the other tighter yet again feeling relieved and complete and a feeling so unexplainable he wanted to burst.

They fell asleep like that, both too exhausted with the emotional mess Jinki had caused to talk anymore. He would explain everything to Minho later though. He was finally going to be completely open and let him know everything.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! FINALLY WE'RE AT THIS FRICKING TURNING POINT!!!!!! xD

Soooooo, I hope you liked it! ;P Because I sure did!

I love you all!

Bye~!<3

p.s Jinki stopped being an idiot!!! Omfg!!!!