Wingman

The First Kiss Campaign

 

“I believe he likes you.”

Jinki choked on his hot chocolate and doubled over after quickly putting his cup away before staring up at Taemin while trying not to cough his lunges out. It was the afternoon before their Christmas break and they were in Starbucks, textbooks and notes spread all over their table, mugs of hot chocolate previously balanced dangerously close to the edge now in their hands as they stared out at the snow gently falling, having given up studying for a moment of silent peace in their minds (as much as they could get in a bustling café).

“I-I’m so-rry… wh-at?” Jinki managed to hack out, not a doubt in his mind of who it was the other referred to.

“And I know you like him,” the black haired boy continued, not looking away from the snowflakes dancing in the wind.

“I beg your pardon?”

Taemin glanced at him and waved a hand nonchalantly. “Yes, yes, you are excused.”

“Taemin!” Jinki lowered his voice to a harsh whisper, looking around nervously. The place was filled with students and who knows which ones of them knew Minho (never mind the fact they hadn’t said his name out loud). “I- what- you- wait…”

The other watched him struggle to gather his thoughts amusedly and Jinki shot him a burning look.

“What?” he shrugged. “I’m just stating the facts. Isn’t that what science is all about? Gathering information and making up theories or plans or whatever according to those facts?” He smirked at his Hyung’s narrowed gaze. “For being so into science, I think you’re working against its principles.”

“Okay, one,” Jinki held up a finger, trying to keep himself composed, “you can’t apply that kind of rule to this situation.” Taemin raised his eyebrows at him sceptically. “You can’t!” he stressed. “Second; you know that blond friend of ours whom you’ve known ever since you were like three? Yeah? He’s in love with him!”

Taemin rolled his eyes. “Hyung, I think you should stop denying the bare facts and face the truth. It’s going to go haywire the way you keep pushing things.”

“But I don’t like him!” Jinki almost raised his voice. “It’s the effect of the kiss! If I hadn’t known it was him I wouldn’t even be in this situation right now!”

The younger looked at him unconvinced but before he could express his opinion further on the matter Kibum appeared and plopped down in the chair next to him, effectively cutting their conversation short to Jinki's great relief.

“Hey guys,” he said gloomily, a frown on his forehead and a slight pout on his lips.

The other two shared a worried look as the other started pulling off his coat and brushing snow from his hair, leaving his scarf on to keep some warmth.

“Is something wrong?” Taemin asked hesitantly, frowning as well.

“No.” Kibum grimaced and then sighed. “Well, yes.” He slumped forward and buried his face in the books on the table, making their pens roll off the table. “I can’t stay in the dorms for Christmas break.”

Jinki and Taemin shared another look as the boy bent down to pick the pens up.

“And that’s bad because…?” the oldest wondered.

“It’s bad because that means I can’t spend more time with Minho!” their blond friend whined into the books. Jinki's heart skipped a beat and his stomach churned, making him go cold all over. Right. “He was going home but something happened so he’s apparently also staying now and I’m the only one who has to go home! My life !”

“Well,” Taemin started slowly, “you get to eat home cooked Christmas food, sleep in your own house and spend time with your family. I would categorise that as a good life.” Kibum turned his head slightly to shoot the boy a ‘you’re-not-helping’ look. Taemin raised his eyebrows at him. “Besides, you can see him when you get back. It’s not like you’re going to be away forever.”

Sitting up, Kibum flailed his arms dramatically. “I might as well be! He’s going to forget about me!”

Jinki put a hand on his blond friend’s arm reassuringly to stop him from panicking. “No, he’s not. How could he? You’re pretty unforgettable.”

The other stopped freaking out and turned to him, chewing on his lip before smiling a small hopeful smile.

“You think?”

“Of course!” Jinki said as convincingly as he could, pretending not to see Taemin’s eye roll. “He’s going to miss you always being around!”

“I wonder…” The boy gave Jinki a pointed look, which he ignored. Huffing in annoyance the other kicked him under the table, making him yelp quietly in pain and look at him murderously while planning a very detailed death for his youngest best friend.

“Hey, you guys are going to stay right?” Kibum suddenly perked up, completely overlooking his two best friends’ silent argument.

“Yeah?” both of them answered uncertainly, giving each other a last glare before turning their attention to the blonde.

“Then you could be my wingmen!” he exclaimed excitedly. “You could find out what he thinks of me and get in a good word!”

They stared at him incredulously for a moment, letting what he had said sink in. Then Taemin shook his head and leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms.

“Oh, no,” he said sternly. “No, no, no. The last time I interfered with someone’s love life hit the fan.”

Jinki snorted and wanted so badly to ask him why, then, was he interfering with his, but quickly reminded himself he was not supposed to have thoughts like that at all. At least concerning Minho.

Taemin seemed to know what he was thinking because when their eyes met he looked at him as if trying to say ‘you’re a different story’ before picking up his cup to take a sip. Jinki rolled his eyes.

Kibum pouted and turned to his oldest friend, grabbing his arm in a tight grip.

“Jinki-Hyung, please?” he begged. “I really, really, really want him to see me as more than a friend. Right now he’s just so oblivious to my hints or maybe he’s just too shy.”

“Or maybe he has his sights set on someone else,” Taemin muttered into his cup.

Kibum’s face fell and Jinki sent the black haired boy a glare before taking the blonde’s hands in his and squeezing them lightly.

“Of course,” he said again and smiled, trying not to pay the hollow sensation those words inflicted on him any mind. It became easier as he saw Kibum lit up in a happy grin before pulling him into a tight hug. If one of the most important people in his life was going to experience real love for the first time, it was all worth giving up his crush.

“Thank you so much!” he exclaimed. “I love you, Hyung!”

Jinki rubbed his back, ignoring Taemin’s narrowed eyes staring at him harshly as well as the feeling of dread spreading through his chest in a cold wave. He wasn’t so sure Kibum would love him if he knew about the small, completely disposable (he would insist until the day he died) crush he had on his love interest. He convinced himself he could do his friend this favour. He just had to start talking to Minho, telling him about Kibum’s good qualities, figure out what his likes and dislikes were and get to know him better so that he could prepare his blond friend.

He was digging his own grave, wasn’t he?

“Well,” Kibum pulled back and hopped to his feet, “I gotta go pack. I’m leaving in two hours.”

“Okay, merry Christmas and happy new year,” Jinki said and managed to give him a smile.

“Merry Christmas and happy new year,” Taemin wished as well while the other pulled on his coat again.

“You too!” Kibum gave Taemin a hug. “Good luck with studying! See you next year!” he said and they watched as he exited the cafe and waved through the window before disappearing down the street.

“You are so going to regret your decisions,” Taemin said knowingly, turning a page in his book.

“Okay, look,” Jinki hissed and the boy flinched slightly, “why don’t you help Kibum instead? Or why don’t you just stay out of it, huh?! And since when did you start taking sides?! Aren’t we both your friends?!”

Taemin closed his book slowly, taking his time to shuffle his notes spread on the table together to then bite his lip and look up to meet Jinki’s gaze guiltily, seemingly weighing his words for a moment before deciding to speak.

“I-I… just…” he sighed. “Hyung, I think you deserve to be with Minho. Kibum has had so many chances with other guys he blew off to be with someone who didn’t treat him properly and I just feel that just this once you shouldn’t have to bend to his needs and get something in return for everything you’ve done for him instead.” The boy looked at him pleadingly. “I mean, I love you both like you were my brothers and I wouldn’t usually take any sides, but have you ever received anything from… well, either of us?”

Jinki just stared at him, not really sure where this speech was coming from. Sure, he always looked out for his two best friends like they were his brothers but he wasn’t doing it because he expected something in return. He wanted them to be happy because it made him happy. He had known them since they had been in diapers and there had always been a special bond between the three of them.

“These days I’ve realised that we keep taking you for granted,” Taemin continued before he had the chance to speak. “You’ve always been the one on the giving end, looking after us, taking care of us, and that makes you the best Hyung ever. So this time, let me give something back… please?”

“Taemin,” Jinki said softly, starting to gather his things as well since he was starting to feel flustered at what the other had told him. He still had a job to do as a best friend, though. “I really do think Kibum needs this relationship. I’ll be fine.”

“But Minho likes you, Hyung,” Taemin said exasperatedly, waving his arms a little in frustration.

Jinki smiled and stood up. “It’s fine. It’s not like it’s eternal. He’s soon going to be head over heels with Kibum.”

“More like he’s going to be head over heels with you sooner rather than later,” the boy muttered so quietly Jinki almost missed it. He sighed and shook his head, stuffing his bag with his books, the other doing the same.

“Can you just…” Taemin started and stopped as he put on his coat, chewing on his lip. Jinki looked at him expectantly while wiring his scarf around his neck. “If Minho really doesn’t start falling for Kibum, can you stop this ignorance and admit to feeling the same for him?”

He watched the boy for a moment. That wouldn’t really be an option because Minho would fall for Kibum, Jinki was sure of it.

What if he doesn’t? A small, hopeful voice said in his head. What then?

Jinki shook his head slightly as they both exited the café and headed towards their university dorms, the sky completely black already.

He just had to keep his sights on the goal, he told himself again like he had a few days before. It couldn’t be too hard, right?

He might have to re-evaluate the difficulties of his life when the very next day a smiling Minho fell down into the chair across from him at the corner table by the window furthest into the library (Taemin had not so subtly told him Jinki was there and probably needed help with English, he later learned), pulling out his books and striking up a conversation about the weather.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Kinda filler-ish :/ This had a lot of conversation in it, hehe xD And I am a little frustrated with Jinki at the moment because he keeps being such a blockhead! He's so fricking stubborn! But I'm gonna break him someday! (In the good way, of course!) ;P 

I told myself I was going to post this chapter after I finished the next chapter for my other story, but I'm stuck on that one so... ;__;

But I hope you enjoyed it! I will proofread it sometime, but this is it for the time being ^_^'

I LOVE YOU ALL!!

Bye~! <3