Chapter 11:

Time Machine

“Tell me how it happened,” I was talking with the cafe gang at my workplace. Generally, Ilhoon would have joined us but it was someone's birthday and he couldn't make it. I didn't mind though, but I noticed Jessica was a little upset he wasn't there, as I guessed because she couldn't annoy him. Jessica was pestering me on the whole “asking me out” thing.

     “Not much, it was simple, I guess.” I said, a dark blush growing on my cheeks. I may have been grown but even when I was talking about my newly found boyfriend, I still got flustered. As I told the story, I got “aw”s from the ladies and a few fake gags from Hyunsik. Then Hakyeon came up. It wasn't my fault; somehow the phone call came up, because I guess how that all led to my answer. Well, I guess it was my fault then.

     “He probably yelled something inappropriate,” Hyunsik sniggered, being the immature kid he was, even if he was only a year younger than me. I shook my head.

     “I really doubt it. It wouldn't be the right time to say something like that.” I commented. Hyunsik just shrugged and sipped his smoothie. Jessica flicked his head, causing him to shout in dismay but not do anything else. She soon moved back to the counter (since it wasn't her break anyway, she was just listening to our conversation) and began working.

     “Don't worry about it, hyung. I bet it was nothing.” Hyunsik said and I hoped he was right.

---

     The streets of Seoul was crowded with people, as they usually are. But today everyone seemed to be rushing around. No one was just standing—not even to wait for a bus to come. I walked slowly, against the pace of everyone else. I was too happy to care if I was going to be too late or too early. Everything was going well for me at that moment, so why should I care? I turned down another main street, walking back into another crowd. I passed a few stores that I had never shopped at before and I don't think I ever was going to. A sudden yell removed my attention from my thoughts and pulled me back to reality. I immediately recognized the voice. Hakyeon. He always seemed to find me somehow.

     “So, you and Hyuk and really going out?” Hakyeon said when he got to me.

     “Yeah,” I said, quickly. He nodded his head and shrugged. I was expecting a congratulation or some kind of friendly good luck, but instead got a sad look. I pursed my lips a bit, then turned them into a straight line. “Are you okay?” I asked. He started walking and I quickly followed, not about to let him go that easily. I was about to ask again and then Hakyeon started talking, moving too fast for me to even put in anything.

     “It's just like when Leo didn't like me because of that Hyomi girl. Ha, but this time the one I like doesn't like me back. Did you know that Hyomi and Leo did actually get together and they've been together for a while too? I'm not surprised—she was a bit pushy. Maybe I'm more like her: I won't stop 'til I get what I want. Then I thought to myself, 'That will never work. That trait isn't going to get you anywhere now. You're too late, Cha Hakyeon.' and maybe a part of me wanted that to be a lie, but it wasn't. I'm way too late now. God, this . You're probably confused, aren't you?” he stopped for half a second to let me nod. I was still trying to take in all of what he had said already. “I'll tell you what's up then.

     “At the beginning of this year, I started to like one of my good friends. That seems to happen to me a lot. I wish it didn't because it always backfires. Anyway, they was stuck on this one person who had left them a while ago and even though they came back, I still didn't like the fact that the person I liked, was deeply in love with the other. No matter what I did to stop this and get their attention on me, it didn't work. I tried my best, I really did and I did it because I loved this person so much, then I realized, this person's heart could never be changed and it hurt a lot. So much so. Lee Hongbin,” he took a pause, catching his breath and meeting eyes with me. By now I could tell what he was going to say—it wasn't hard to figure out who this anonymous person in his story was. “I love you. I've come to the decision that I'll let you go, for good. I hope you're happy with Hyuk. Goodbye.” and that was the last words Hakyeon ever spoke to me. I tried to get him to talk to me again if we ever crossed paths, but he would act like he didn't know me. He was a stranger to me again, like he was years ago.

---

     My couch welcomed me as it always did when I was having friend problems. Those types of things seemed to follow me wherever I went. I was used to it by now, but they would still upset me. My cell phone was sitting on my small coffee table and I picked it up, dialing Hyuk's number. At this time, he would be the only one who would comfort me. He picked up after a few rings and answered with a happy tone, unlike me. I told him what happened, creating an awkward silence on the other end. When Hyuk spoke, it was quiet and upset.

     “Do you regret your decision in choosing me?” he asked, seemingly expecting the worst. I almost felt like laughing at such a stupid question.

     “No, not in the least bit. I would never want to be with any other person in the entire world, even if that meant losing all my friends.” I answered confidently. Everything about that was true—Hyuk was more important to me than anything else and nothing or no one would change that.