Chapter 5:

Time Machine

Ravi ended up taking me to the entertainment company he worked with, much to my disapproval. I told him that I didn’t want to audition a million times but he still dragged me there. I had no clue what he had up his sleeve, but I knew there was something there.


    When we got to his recording room, he sat down in a chair and turned to me. I stood there, with my arms crossed across my chest, glaring down at him.


    “Why are you so mad?” he asked, trying to play the innocent card.


    “I told you I didn’t want to come here.” I started, not at all finished, but Ravi obviously thought I was.


    “The other night, you said you would.” He explained. The other night? When? Then I remembered the morning I woke up without any recollection of the night before. I once again wondered what happened. Agreeing to come to an audition was one of things, I guessed.


    “No, no. I wasn’t myself then. I really don’t want to audition.” I told him, maybe a bit too desperately. He stood up and shook his head, not taking no for an answer.


    “You said--”


    “It doesn’t matter what I said. I was probably drinking or something.” I started for the door, but he grabbed my wrist and spun me around. He looked upset. I raised my eyebrow and waited for him to say what he wanted to say, but he just kept silent, his hand tightly clutching to my wrist. “What?” I demanded, but he still stayed quiet. I pulled my wrist away and stormed out the recording room, down the steps and to the door.


    Hyunsik had just wandered in, coincidentally. He watched me storm out, and to be honest, I’m not sure why I was so mad about being dragged to this building; I just didn’t like the fact that I didn’t know what Ravi was planning and I couldn’t feel safe around him anymore. Hyunsik shouted my name as I walked past, but I didn’t stop and just continued, thinking hard about it. He never did anything like this before, so it just confused me even more to the point where I was getting pissed off. I shook my head; it didn’t matter anyway since I wasn’t going to audition and Ravi was just getting his hopes up for nothing… absolutely nothing.

---

    Hyuk had called me soon after the short incident with Ravi and he asked me to go get late lunch with him. I agreed, needing to get my mind of recent events. I knew I shouldn’t even be worrying, but it was hard at this point.


    I met Hyuk in front of the restaurant he told me to meet him at. He arrived soon after me and we walked in together. We got a table in the corner. The place was like a small deli with a counter with chairs lined up across it, like a bar. I remember going there when I was younger, but when it changed owners, I stopped.


    Hyuk and I both ordered small sandwiches as there wasn’t much else on the menu except salads and breakfast foods. The place was small anyway, so it was expected that the menu wasn’t too filled up. We talked a lot and Hyuk told me about the school he went to in Japan. He also mentioned a few of his friends he made there and he seemed pretty happy talking about them. I wondered if he missed them like he said he missed me.


    When the food came, we still talked but only sparingly since we were both pretty hungry, obviously. The sandwich was actually much better than I imagined it to be. I ate quickly and finished in less than fifteen minutes, which surprised me because I always take a really long time to eat. Soon enough, Hyuk finished as well and we continued to sit for another half an hour just talking. That’s when I realized how much I had missed Hyuk all together. Sure, I noticed my feelings were coming back before, but sitting with him and talking in that moment really brought me back to the days before he left. I never knew that I wouldn’t have moved on—I always thought that eventually I would just fall out of love with him, but now, even though I tricked myself into thinking I did do that, I just grasped the fact that I didn’t.


    “Do you want to do something?” Hyuk asked as we were getting up from the table. I had paid and it seemed that Hyuk wanted to do something else so he could return the favor. I looked at the clock on the wall, checking the time. I had nothing else to do but, of course, I didn’t want to look too eager.


    “Yeah, sure. I’m not busy now.” I nodded, beginning to walk toward the entrance with my friend. I enjoyed the casual conversation we had at lunch and I was glad there wasn’t anything awkward between us since he had returned. “What do you want to do, then?” I asked as we headed out onto the streets of Seoul. Hyuk continued to walk silently for a bit, then turned to me and smiled.


    “I was thinking about heading to Hongdae for the day before we met, so maybe you want to join me?” he suggested and I agreed. I hadn’t been to Hongdae in a while and it wouldn’t hurt to just take a day to ourselves.


    We took a bus to Hongdae. We didn’t talk much on the way there, since we were both listening to songs on my iPod. Every now and then Hyuk would complain about one of the songs, so I would have to change it. Eventually, we arrived at our destination and got off. By that time, many of the students were getting out of school and filling the streets. I thought back to when I was in college and how I would come out and go clubbing with my friends here on the weekends.


    Hyuk saw a small candy shop on the street and pulled me over to it. We entered and we immediately met with the sweet smell of sugar and caramel. Hyuk looked at all the candy like a little kid would and I once again thought back to when we were younger, but this time when our mothers would take us both to the candy shop and we would get yelled at for running off the second we got into the store. Hyuk picked out some candy and made me do the same, so by the time we had left the store, we were carrying two big bags of candy.


    “What are we going to do with these?” I asked him. He looked at the pastel colored bag filled with sweets.


    “Eat as many as we can!” he said excitedly and ripped open the bag. I laughed lightly and stopped him.


    “You’ll get sick.” I told him and suggested we buy a backpack to keep all the stuff we were bound to buy that day. We walked over to a shop and bought the first bag we could find (well, the cheapest one). For the next half hour, we walked around Hongdae looking at all the stores until we ended up at a coffee shop. We had to walk up to the second level to get to the shop but once we got in, we were surprised to find who was in there already.